Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Re: Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I disagree; BB coming back with dad would put some butts in the stands.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

If enough people were so pissed-off when JB was here and treading water -- and -- even more pissed-off as to how he left the program in a shambles, there just might be enough vitriol out there to get a capacity crowd -- JUST OUT OF SPITE…... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, while it would be nowhere near a sellout, the crowd would be energized and the atmosphere would resemble a Ryan Center sellout, even if only 4500 tix were sold.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes, it would be a LOUD 4500!!!!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If it happens - would the NCAA let Billy stay after the game and play for the rams. As much as I loathe their father as a coach, Billy and Jimmy are great college players. If Billy had stayed and Sponge didn't get arrested last years team might have won 20 games.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bad break for URI in this NIT tourney. Normally this has been a well organized affair, but it is apparent that this year they had a problem in adding 2 more decent D1 teams and time pressures forced them to go with two D2 teams - Stillman and Metro State. Unfortunately for URI, they are in the bracket with one of them. The results of games with D2 schools are not included in the RPI nor are they included in the overall record used by NCAA in handing out the big dance invites. So for both purposes URI will have a 30 game season. While the Metro State game does not impact the official SOS, it doesn't help making the OOC schedule stronger.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just say no to CAnisius playing at URI
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We don't need Billy this season. We needed him last year.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

That may be true Rod that we don't need him this year but that is assuming more growth by MP, Biggie being the guy advertised, and a smooth transition for EC. Billy and X as seniors would have been one of the top backcourts in the league. We may still get there with the guys we have but I prefer the sure thing.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Billy would have prevented EC from needed playing time, to
develop at URI.
Biggie will give the team a defensive stopper, which we haven't had in the
backcourt in memory. Billy is a defensive liability.
Again, I wish he'd been here last year, but it was his choice.
He put Dan in a bad position, by bailing out after spring signing,
after telling him that he'd be staying.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agree with Rod. For so many reasons on and off the court, I'm happy Billy is playing at the pinnacle of college basketball at Canisius for his hall of fame coach father.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I really don't see how Billy Baron has done anything to this point to quallify as a "great college player".
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Barons, be gone. A cursory look at the entire program- on and off the court- by the end of their time here tells me everything I need to know.

8 days until the start of the season!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

2. The NIT Season Tip-Off needed two non-Division I schools to fill out its 16-team bracket, released Tuesday. Filling these tournaments with non-Division I schools shouldn't come as a shock. There are so many tournaments and not enough teams to fill them. Part of the problem is the rule preventing teams from the same conference participating in an event. There have been some unavoidable situations due to realignment, with two teams in an event from the same conference, who weren't in the same conference when they signed up for the tournament. The answer might be to waive that rule and allow tournaments to schedule at least one other conference team in an event. The mega conferences will make it even harder to schedule events without taking two teams from the same conference.

3. I do like the seeding, though, for the NIT. Arizona was the No. 1 seed, while Duke was No. 2, Alabama No. 3 and Rutgers No. 4. While the NIT is the last early-season tournament where you have to play your way to the neutral site, I would like to see more matchups in the early rounds of these tournaments based on seeding instead of random draws.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... negativity
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I agree with Rod. Billy leaving hurt the program short-term but will have no impact long-term.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Tough to fault BB. Kid was in a tough spot BC of his old man.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

BFC wrote:
2. The NIT Season Tip-Off needed two non-Division I schools to fill out its 16-team bracket, released Tuesday. Filling these tournaments with non-Division I schools shouldn't come as a shock. There are so many tournaments and not enough teams to fill them. Part of the problem is the rule preventing teams from the same conference participating in an event. There have been some unavoidable situations due to realignment, with two teams in an event from the same conference, who weren't in the same conference when they signed up for the tournament. The answer might be to waive that rule and allow tournaments to schedule at least one other conference team in an event. The mega conferences will make it even harder to schedule events without taking two teams from the same conference.

3. I do like the seeding, though, for the NIT. Arizona was the No. 1 seed, while Duke was No. 2, Alabama No. 3 and Rutgers No. 4. While the NIT is the last early-season tournament where you have to play your way to the neutral site, I would like to see more matchups in the early rounds of these tournaments based on seeding instead of random draws.
I definitely think point 2 is a good one. Who cares if two teams from the same conference are in an early season tournament together?
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Billy hurt the team by leaving and his father hurt the team by staying.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I always liked Billy and empathized with him. I thought he was always in a tough spot with respect to URI with his father being the coach. That goes all the way back to his recruitment and his transfer and his time on the team and his decision after his dad was canned. All pretty complicated for a teenager to navigate. Having said all of that, I agree that we're better off without him in the big picture even if we would have better with him on the team last year.

As far as Canisius playing at the RC, it is a nightmare for CFL so therefore it is a dream for me. Nothing I would like to see more than the new look Rams running the Canisius Whatever They Ares off the court in Kingston.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramfan85 wrote:Billy hurt the team by leaving and his father hurt the team by staying.
Exactly.

The idea that billy was a "great" college player is confusing to me. He was talented, but had the mental makeup and toughness of a 6 year old. I'm glad he's gone. Double glad his father is gone.

That being said, I would cancel my post thanksgiving vacation to sit behind the canisus bench at MSG and do nothing but hurl insults for 40 minutes should the URI/Canisus game become a reality.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'll join you, Blue Man.
On the football thread, the poster
known as Hal Kopp, accused me of being a Baron supporter!
Sure, and I love Linc Chafee, too.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

What a bunch of nonsense!!!! THE BARONS!!!!!!!! E-FRAPPIN'-NOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bressler, you are weird! I like you, though.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I am guessing bressler is a paisan like myself :)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bressler is fine, but all those exclamation points break the threads (at least on phones). I'm not censoring you, Bress, just trying to keep the threads readable.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I'll join you, Blue Man.
On the football thread, the poster
known as Hal Kopp, accused me of being a Baron supporter!
Sure, and I love Linc Chafee, too.

The truth is finally out..lol
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Blue Man wrote: The idea that billy was a "great" college player is confusing to me. He was talented, but had the mental makeup and toughness of a 6 year old. I'm glad he's gone. Double glad his father is gone.

That being said, I would cancel my post thanksgiving vacation to sit behind the canisus bench at MSG and do nothing but hurl insults for 40 minutes should the URI/Canisus game become a reality.
Sounds a little harsh Jay...do fans really hate Baron enough that they'd heckle him when Canisius isn't even playing URI? I was pretty closely involved with the guy, and I don't harbor any hate towards him. Mild contempt, but not hate.

As for Billy, he's a tough guy. He was under a LOT of pressure from people close to him to transfer to Canisius. I've only seen a few select players work harder at basketball, his brother being one of them. His work ethic is incredible, he still loves this school, and his mentality is beyond his years.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hell yeah! I watch the end of Canisius games streamed, just hoping
CFL loses.
As for toughness, it's more than gym muscles and tight shirts.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i think the vitriol for the Baron's is exacerbated on this board...i think the general URI fan would not boo them nor hold contempt for his then teenage son who felt pressured to follow his dad out the door. I think most feel like this -- happy he is gone, more than ecstatic at our new regime, and more than ready to move on and put the Baron era in the past. Some here treat him as the anti christ bc he didnt win enough basketball games. To each his own. I have my sights set on bigger things than hoping to play Canisius, I will gladly bypass any joy of beating them for a ticket to the big dance. Think big, F- Canisius.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I do get the contempt for Jim. Sr., but I dont get it at all with respect to Billy. Some people sound oddly butthurt when talking about him.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

the contempt should be for those in power that gave him that ridiculous extension...do you think he intentionally coached his team to choke like chickens down the stretch? he's gone, lets move on. he isnt even worth me posting this message, its like the PC guys getting off that we talk about them so much on here. why even gratify the barons or anyone to know they irked you so much.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:I do get the contempt for Jim. Sr., but I dont get it at all with respect to Billy. Some people sound oddly butthurt when talking about him.
I never even heard of the Barons before Dan got the job here, so I don't have enough emotion invested to really hate. His decision to change his mind (shortly after Ziegler got his waiver) and leave the team screwed them last year. His public comments (like, "oh now they want to go ahead and get a new floor and locker room.") do not exactly make him look good, either.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Hate, no. Contempt, no. Most of this could be traced to Carothers and Company for making "Him" "CFL." Jim Baron always treated me and my family well, always courteous, and truth be told, I'm a nobody, and the only times I saw him to chat were at a convenience store/coffee shop at Frenchtown Road on my way to school.
But after turning things around, he got comfortable, and then got lazy and whiney, and people saw through the act.
And for the Grand Finale, he got desperate and started to cut corners and left URI Basketball in a horrible place.
We all saw what happened.
Now, I'm a witness to something better.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wish them no ill will I just pull for Canisius to lose
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Keaney.Blue wrote:
Blue Man wrote: The idea that billy was a "great" college player is confusing to me. He was talented, but had the mental makeup and toughness of a 6 year old. I'm glad he's gone. Double glad his father is gone.

Sounds a little harsh Jay...do fans really hate Baron enough that they'd heckle him when Canisius isn't even playing URI? I was pretty closely involved with the guy, and I don't harbor any hate towards him. Mild contempt, but not hate.

As for Billy, he's a tough guy. He was under a LOT of pressure from people close to him to transfer to Canisius. I've only seen a few select players work harder at basketball, his brother being one of them. His work ethic is incredible, he still loves this school, and his mentality is beyond his years.
You'd know better than I on BB, I can only speak in blind and butthurt hatred after the way everything ended here.

And no, I'd never waste my time to heckle (or worse watch) a canisus game if they were not playing URI.

But the very real reality is that canisus could beat a down rutgers team, and if we could somehow surprise the hell out of people and beat arizona, we'd play canisus at MSG. That would be where I would heckle.

My heckling is only done at URI games, and one time at a PC game where my cousins and I almost got into a brawl with some douchey syracuse fans.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Division II Preseason poll was released today. Metro State checks in at #1.

http://www.gometrostate.com/news/2013/1 ... 34522.aspx
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

*GULP*
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh wow! I knew they were good, I didnt know they were that good! Can't go into that one overlooking anything.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

For a game that doesn't count on our schedule, we have nothing to gain but everything to lose.

That will be a close one for sure.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So a number one ranked D2 team compares how to D1 teams? I honestly have no idea, as the only D2 teams I'm familiar with are very average.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote:So a number one ranked D2 team compares how to D1 teams? I honestly have no idea, as the only D2 teams I'm familiar with are very average.
I have no idea either. But worth noting that they're the best of the best.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i would imagine from a skill level their wont be much difference, you would think the athletic/physical aspects would be the big difference.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

that's got to be like an average D1 team. Say Seton Hall, or Umass type
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote:that's got to be like an average D1 team. Say Seton Hall, or Umass type
But those are above average teams to me when you consider all of D1. I mean, it goes from Louisville, Kentucky, Duke to, say, Fairleigh Dickinson or SIU-Edwardsville or Abilene Christian.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

You're prob right
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ace wrote:So a number one ranked D2 team compares how to D1 teams? I honestly have no idea, as the only D2 teams I'm familiar with are very average.
D2 teams are usually filled with smaller, talented guys who could have been fringe D1 guys on a good day. Some teams have D1 players who didn't get a lot of PT so jumped down a level to maximize on that time (Metro had a kid who played at BYU and also a kid from Utah Valley). Most D2 teams lack height (maybe 1 or 2 players over 6'8), so I was surprised to see Metro lists 5 guys over 6'8 I believe. Height doesn't mean everything though, they have a freshman listed at 6'8, 185. The other thing about them is that they tend to have an Austrailian pipeline with 5 kids, so it's impossible to know how they compare their American HS counterparts.

If you play bad against them, they have the capability of beating most. PC played a preseason D2 #7 2 years ago, UMASS-Lowell had a chance to win at the buzzer.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We lost to St. Michael's and St. Anselm's, years ago, and PC lost a couple of games to Assumption, which had a solid program
for many years.
Anything's possible, especially on a neutral court.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney