All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Why wait a few years? Both teams will be better next year, and likely at least NIT level.....and going forward also.

ASU would be intriguing......
There is almost zero chance Dan would ever agree to playing his former school. There is zero chance he will agree to do that while he still has kids he recruited on the roster and a coach he mentored. Not happening.
While I do agree with this take, (and it is more wishful thinking on my part), it is bolstered by the fact that UConn themselves won't do it regardless of coach.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

At the end of this season I propose we lock this thread

Let's enjoy David Cox building Rhody into the best team in NE and Dan Hurley building UConn into the 2nd best team in NE without any fixations.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago At the end of this season I propose we lock this thread

Let's enjoy David Cox building Rhody into the best team in NE and Dan Hurley building UConn into the 2nd best team in NE without any fixations.
I'm not sure if I agree. I think people will be interested on some level (for better or worse) in following UConn over the next few years and commenting on it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s a pretty easy thread to avoid if one prefers to.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Unless ATP insists this needs to be locked for some reason, it won’t ever be locked and I’m not sure I even really get the argument for why anyone would want it locked. I’ll be interested in the rest of Dan’s career for however long he’s coaching. It doesn’t take anything away from our following URI here, which accounts for 99% of the posts on the board.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have hated UConn going back to the late 70's when Perno was coach and Corny played for them. That has not changed at all just because Hurley went there. Younger people and those that are more recent followers of Rhody basketball seem to have little understanding of this once bitter rivalry. URI, despite playing UConn little in the last four decades, is still far and away the Huskies most played opponent of all time. BY SOME NEARLY 30 GAMES!!!! There is a long history of bad blood.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So do you, RF1, want the thread locked?
I’m a bit confused on how posters to this thread are feeling.
How do you rate the job Hurley has done in his first year?

For that matter how do all interested in this thread think Hurley has done? What grade would you give him year 1?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago So do you, RF1, want the thread locked?

For that matter how do all interested in this thread think Hurley has done? What grade would you give him year 1?
I don't care how he has done as he is no longer the head coach at Rhode Island. Furthermore, I think comparisons to his other jobs are pointless since the circumstances are are not equal.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

I know you're walkin' down a lonesome road
And your heart is carryin' a heavy load
I know you feel like you ain't got a friend (ain't got a friend)
Oh, and your whole world is cavin' in (whole world cavin' in)
Oh, but now's the time to be strong (to be strong)
You gotta forget him now that he's gone (now that he's gone)
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

American conference getting paid by ESPN. Shows how FBS football and high level basketball are worth huge money to networks. Bernadette better be working a new deal for the A10.

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Not gonna be close to that without Bowl level football
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Almost 7 million a year....good for them.

That's for each program....wonder how much will go toward basketball? Wichita State which doesn't have football makes out big time.

Will help UConn's deficit...but not solve it by any means.

The A10 has to get on the stick and improve the league's position and soon.

400k a year is peanuts. Time to create a new conference that would be more attractive to the networks.
Last edited by rambone 78 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago So do you, RF1, want the thread locked?

I think he did what he could with a team decimated by injuries, and it was "fine"... C+
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I have hated UConn going back to the late 70's when Perno was coach and Corny played for them. That has not changed at all just because Hurley went there. Younger people and those that are more recent followers of Rhody basketball seem to have little understanding of this once bitter rivalry. URI, despite playing UConn little in the last four decades, is still far and away the Huskies most played opponent of all time. BY SOME NEARLY 30 GAMES!!!! There is a long history of bad blood.
The thing is, I hate UConn too! I like Dan, I hate UConn, and I have no idea how to feel about anything that is posted in this thread. But I do find it interesting.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago American conference getting paid by ESPN. Shows how FBS football and high level basketball are worth huge money to networks. Bernadette better be working a new deal for the A10.

Good for AAC, but wow ESPN with all their cuts still commits for a deal though 2031-2032?! Who knows how people will consume sports then. I guess they like piling up the live sports rather than the alternative of poorly rated recap or talking heads shows.

I'm also curious if you factor in the D1 football costs and higher basketball coaching salaries it that $6.5 million doesn't go quite as far every year.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please don’t lock this thread !! It’s one of my favorites

No way DH ever schedules UConn or ASU while Bobby still there not going to happen
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Most of that $$$ goes to black hole that is low FBS football. Who knows how much basketball would get. Depends on each school of course.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I like this thread too, and admit I don't carry the historical hatred of PC and UConn that others have. To be fair to Hurley's rationale about UConn, here is the list of schools that have won more National titles:

UCLA
Kentucky
UNC
Duke
Indiana

UConn has won more titles than Kansas, Louisville, Ohio St, Michigan St, Michigan, or Villanova just to name a few. To take on the challenge of returning UConn to it's glory is understandable for Hurley IMO. Doesn't mean it will be easy. But the opportunity is there as the AAC continues to improve, and as long as they don't lose members.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I would also hate to see this thread locked, or any thread for that matter.
It was created and then relocated to "All Other College Sports" so that people who wanted to access it could but it would not be on the main page.

Not sure I understand the Hatred posters have so many teams.

When Penders, Skinner and Harrick left for more money I didn't like it but understood their motivation just like people change jobs today in the workplace. Hurley did the same as they did, but I wish him well as I did the others even though it's not so easy to do.

For PC it's a huge rivalry, like the Red Sox-Yankees, Michigan-Ohio State, Celtics-Lakers (back in the day). It goes back to Dave Gavitt forming the Big East and not inviting URI. PC is the only College Basketball Team I don't like.

Many here hate UMASS. For me UMASS is a long time rival from the old Yankee Conference days. I went to Curry Hicks Cage and saw Julius Erving play, say Al Skinner play. Saw Calipari Coach, Marcus Camby play, and on and on. I would hate to see UMASS leave the A10, but that's just me

Same for UCONN. Long time rivalry back to the old Yankee Conference Days. I remember the Corny Thompson Recruitment, Tony Hansen, Jim Abromaitis, etc.

The gold old days of College Basketball and all College Sports was back in the Yankee Conference days before all of these National Conferences tore apart the long term rivalries.

I don't understand the hatred for Nevada who backed out of a contract after Hurley departed URI, hatred for Fordham, VCU, Dayton or any of the A10 Schools - I root for every A10 School in every sport

I don't understand the hatred for Boston College either, but again that is just me.

I wish Hurley the best. He did what Penders, Skinner and Harrick did before him - went out when the opportunity presented itself and his market value was at it's peak. If you don't want to read about Hurley just ignore the thread while those who want it can participate to their heart's content
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hurley gave us 6 years. Penders and Harrick gave us 2 and left at the first pretty girl that winked at them, and honestly its questionable if Georgia basketball even constitutes being a pretty girl. Jim himself would tell you that was an ill advised move. But the point is Dan could have gone to Rutgers in his 3rd year and then I would put him on par with those guys. While those guys did great things on the court, the amount of program building done by Dan dwarfs what either of them did. If we blow the position we are in it is our fault, not Dan's. 6K fans a night, a team that expects to win championships, back to back top recruiting classes, those are all his legacy.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree BAR. My point was I did not hold grudges against Penders, Skinner or Harrick and for sure would not against Hurley. I'd welcome him back to URI in .005 seconds to think about it. Certainly would not "lock up" his thread
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed Ramster, and that wasn't really directed at you but moreso at the folks who see things black and white and put Dan in the same camp as the guys who blew in and blew out at the first opportunity to do so.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Penders and Harrick had plenty of talent to work with when they got here, and they got a lot out of that talent.

Dan had squat to work with and couldn't recruit the way he wanted to.

Apples and oranges.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I have hated UConn going back to the late 70's when Perno was coach and Corny played for them. That has not changed at all just because Hurley went there. Younger people and those that are more recent followers of Rhody basketball seem to have little understanding of this once bitter rivalry. URI, despite playing UConn little in the last four decades, is still far and away the Huskies most played opponent of all time. BY SOME NEARLY 30 GAMES!!!! There is a long history of bad blood.
How could a younger fan like myself understand the former rivalry? We haven't played them since 2000 and haven't played them at home since December of 85. It hasn't been a rivalry in my lifetime. I can appreciate it was probably awesome, the same way I appreciate something like Ted Williams greatness or something. It's a historical note, but I didn't experience it, so it doesn't have any emotional weight.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago American conference getting paid by ESPN. Shows how FBS football and high level basketball are worth huge money to networks. Bernadette better be working a new deal for the A10.

I don't understand this deal at all, amazing job by the AAC getting it. How fast do you think they did everything they needed to do to complete it in case ESPN got cold feet?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Hurley gave us 6 years. Penders and Harrick gave us 2 and left at the first pretty girl that winked at them, and honestly its questionable if Georgia basketball even constitutes being a pretty girl. Jim himself would tell you that was an ill advised move. But the point is Dan could have gone to Rutgers in his 3rd year and then I would put him on par with those guys. While those guys did great things on the court, the amount of program building done by Dan dwarfs what either of them did. If we blow the position we are in it is our fault, not Dan's. 6K fans a night, a team that expects to win championships, back to back top recruiting classes, those are all his legacy.
The Ryan Center is Harrick's legacy. That's quite a bit of program building. That doesn't happen without Harrick and we're not talking about 6k a night on campus without that.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For people to whom this matters, I hope they know how much Dan continues to care about Rhode Island basketball. He was following those last season wins, he knew about Dowtin scoring his 1000th point. To paraphrase Ramulous, he’d love for them to consistently be the second best program in the northeast.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 5 years ago For people to whom this matters, I hope they know how much Dan continues to care about Rhode Island basketball. He was following those last season wins, he knew about Dowtin scoring his 1000th point. To paraphrase Ramulous, he’d love for them to consistently be the second best program in the northeast.
I’m sure some of that is pride - building this program is part of his legacy as a coach; and some of it personal - he has relationships with players on the team and coaches on the staff; but selfishly I hope some of it is us (not the posters on this board haha, but the community as a whole). I know it has left an impression on other coaches that have been here and moved on. Al Skinner, who is a UMass alum and was not treated as well as he probably should have been by the fans and the admin while he was here still comes around and is connected to us. Jim Harrick was only here a short time but has said that leaving here to go to Georgia was one of the biggest regrets of his career. And Tom Penders, who is a UConn grad and who traveled many miles after leaving here and for whom his URI tenure was a relative blip in a long career chose to come back to the URI community to retire essentially.

Rhode Island is a weird place, and URI is quirky in ways that can be frustrating and exasperating, but it is a freaking great place and that quirkiness has a way of endearing it to people, especially after they’ve moved on. That’s true of me, personally - I grew up in RI and graduated from URI and left the state and will likely not move back unless I retire there. But I love getting back to campus and being in that community. Not that it really matters all that much in practical terms, but for whatever reason I Hope Dan feels the same way and someday he will come back. I know a lot of people would like the opportunity to thank him for everything he did here in person.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This might be your best post ever, TP. Well done.

I will give credit when credit is due.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

I don't understand this deal at all, amazing job by the AAC getting it. How fast do you think they did everything they needed to do to complete it in case ESPN got cold feet?
Gotta remember it’s for FBS football and basketball TV rights. Not directly comparable to Big East basketball only deal with Fox. In fact, while it’s more than they previously got, those schools need way more to maintain football.

Kevin McNamaras teeet is misleading. $6.5M to each school annually to cover all sports. Not basketball only as he says.

Still $5M more per school per year. Will pay some legal bills.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I know it's for football as well, I just don't see how that conferences games, football and basketball combined, are that valuable
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right. They stink at football even more than basketball. The league has more overall depth in football but lacks the premier programs that are traditional and consistent powers. UCF has had a great couple of years, but they’re fresh on the scene and don’t have a real following that is worth any money in terms of broadcast rights - raise your hand if you’ve ever gone out of your way to watch them on TV.

Live sports are the last valuable commodity in traditional over-the-air TV, and that in part explains the investment on ESPN’s part. But I can’t imagine anyone else would have paid anywhere close to that for AAC sports, so from that perspective it really makes no sense.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When the A10 TV contract is up for renewal, maybe the fact that espn+ does many A10 games now will help bring a much bigger dollar figure also.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 5 years ago For people to whom this matters, I hope they know how much Dan continues to care about Rhode Island basketball. He was following those last season wins, he knew about Dowtin scoring his 1000th point. To paraphrase Ramulous, he’d love for them to consistently be the second best program in the northeast.
I can attest to this as well, may have even seen him say "My Rams" a couple times. :)
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

ace wrote: 5 years agoTo paraphrase Ramulous, he’d love for them to consistently be the second best program in the northeast.
As opposed to who?
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

When looking at the context, isn't 6.5 million a year like throwing a bucket to the people aboard the Titanic.

I wonder what the breaking point is in that state for everything with the $. Hopefully they never make another Fiesta Bowl, they cant afford it.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years agoTo paraphrase Ramulous, he’d love for them to consistently be the second best program in the northeast.
As opposed to who?
Probably UConn?
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
As opposed to who?
Probably UConn?
Who else would be his 2nd favorite in the northeast over us? Why would this make us feel good, I guess its just something I assumed.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As opposed to who?
Probably UConn?
Who else would be his 2nd favorite in the northeast over us? Why would this make us feel good, I guess its just something I assumed.
It’s not supposed to make you feel good, it’s a joke going off of what has become a Ramulous catchphrase. You don’t like Hurley. We know.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

ace wrote: 5 years ago

Probably UConn?
It’s not supposed to make you feel good, it’s a joke going off of what has become a Ramulous catchphrase. You don’t like Hurley. We know.
I don't think I've said that much about Hurley since he's left, I know I've said 2 things in this thread 1. The talentless roster thing is overstated and 2. I assumed we were his 2nd favorite northeastern team. If that equals personal dislike to you (plural?), so be it.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

I like Dan Hurley....that's why I want them to be the second best college team in the country....

I liked my ex-girlfriend too....then she left me for another guy.....I followed her on InstaGram for a year....but now I stopped following her...
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Live sports are the last valuable commodity in traditional over-the-air TV, and that in part explains the investment on ESPN’s part. But I can’t imagine anyone else would have paid anywhere close to that for AAC sports, so from that perspective it really makes no sense.
I think you are pretty spot on. Football content is the primary driver of this deal. As an investment, it gives ESPN the ability to continue to fill their digital platform with more quality content. No other provider has a digital platform like ESPN, so they rely strictly for cable programming. Fox Sports already shares Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12 football. What does the AAC provide from a football perspective to Fox that would make them over-extend? CBS and NBC Sports have always been lesser-tiered channels, impossible to imagine that they would pony up big dollars. The more teams on ESPN+, the more subscriptions they sell. The bigger fanbases of football make the AAC the perfect test case.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Makes sense that DH would want URI to succeed they are all his players and coaches .
Maybe in 5 or more years as he gets further away then that wants a bit
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice pic of DH with Coach Cal
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Ollie situation remains messy. Nobody's gonna come out of this looking good.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Sweet! Fresh Hurls-related news!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There he is The Shady Glen Miller !!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If nothing else, Kevin Ollie handled the APR-

Posted because one of our KB friends seemed concerned on Twitter that Hurley might get credit for this.