The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote:Cox isn't going to the final four, even if he goes with Hurley, finally lands a hc job at a mid major before the age of 50, and then coaches for 15 years, it's not happening, or at least very, very unlikely.

And Preston Murph? He's going the same way, content to be the 2nd assistant/recruiter on the staff of a larger program than just taking a job at a Wagner or Buffalo and cutting his teeth and diving into the deep end. You have to take risks to make the big money, it's not handed to you.

I think Pitino would have a good shot of building a team that could make an sweet 16, elite 8 or final four run inside of three years. As soon as a Texas or LSU or Auburn calls after that, he's gone. He won't do it if he goes to a smaller school in a lesser conference than this one though.
Not much different than any other coach here except for the one who wasn't ever offered another job.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Pitino is 65yo.
.....He could be suspended from basketball for a long time, like Pearl.
.....I was wondering how hard he works. Just sold his 3.7 million dollar estate in Bal Harbor. Just listed his 23.7 million dollar hotel/estate up the coast in Florida. He also has the mansion in Lexington. I doubt South County is his taste.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CTRamfan wrote:Pitino is 65yo.
.....I was wondering how hard he works. Just sold his 3.7 million dollar estate in Bal Harbor. Just listed his 23.7 million dollar hotel/estate up the coast in Florida. He also has the mansion in Lexington. I doubt South County is his taste.
He could buy a Newport Mansion. Jay Leno did.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blueram - what is your obsession with the coach's salary? It’s the only thing you’ve talked about for days, and with every comment you make about it you make it more clear that you don’t know what you’re talking about. The idea that URI should have a set salary that they pay the coach no matter who he is or what the circumstances are is so nonsensical that I don’t even understand the point you are tying to make.

I honestly wish you guys would take this Pitino discussion off the board and to a Facebook group or something. I’m fucking embarrassed even being associated with the idea of that cretin coaching at my school. Even if you didn’t have any morals or ethics or shame and you really just wanted Louisville players and Louisville results, I regret to inform you that Rick Pitino is actually not a special basketball mind, he just bought the players that took him to Final Fours. If he cannot buy the players here, which at least everyone seems to agree is not something they would be comfortable with, then you’re not going to get the results. He’s not a legitimate candidate because from a reputation standpoint AND a basketball standpoint it would be a bad idea for the school.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote:The longer this thread goes the happier I am that it’s Thoor, and not posters, running this search
100% agreed
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Did anyone read Hurley's contract from the tweet above?......HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!.........They own him. I have never seen buy-out penalties that large. I hope he likes Storrs. The only out clause is death or disabled.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Billyboy78 wrote:
CTRamfan wrote:Pitino is 65yo.
He could buy a Newport Mansion. Jay Leno did.

Jay is a native.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, he signed it in blood and his wife cried like the wife in the movie "the Devil's Advocate". what do you expect?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

In a matter of about 2 years this fanbase appears to have gone from "our coach yells and stomps his feet too much" straight into "let's hire the guy who gets hookers for recruits"!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Blueram - what is your obsession with the coach's salary? It’s the only thing you’ve talked about for days, and with every comment you make about it you make it more clear that you don’t know what you’re talking about. The idea that URI should have a set salary that they pay the coach no matter who he is or what the circumstances are is so nonsensical that I don’t even understand the point you are tying to make.

I honestly wish you guys would take this Pitino discussion off the board and to a Facebook group or something. I’m fucking embarrassed even being associated with the idea of that cretin coaching at my school. Even if you didn’t have any morals or ethics or shame and you really just wanted Louisville players and Louisville results, I regret to inform you that Rick Pitino is actually not a special basketball mind, he just bought the players that took him to Final Fours. If he cannot buy the players here, which at least everyone seems to agree is not something they would be comfortable with, then you’re not going to get the results. He’s not a legitimate candidate because from a reputation standpoint AND a basketball standpoint it would be a bad idea for the school.
I'm tired of being a stepping stone. Coaches leave for money. Plain and simple. What was Cooley's first contract? Was it $750k? What was Mack's first contract at X? Was it $750K? He was an assistant prior. Just pay people what the expectations are. We expect to dance. That is worth X amount of money.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote:
I'm tired of being a stepping stone. Coaches leave for money. Plain and simple. What was Cooley's first contract? Was it $750k? What was Mack's first contract at X? Was it $750K? He was an assistant prior. Just pay people what the expectations are. We expect to dance. That is worth X amount of money.
I'm am also a bit tired of looking out the east facing windows at the RC and seeing the embarrassment we call a D1 football field. D1 athletics like it or not is a business. We need to do a lot better, there is so much potential here.

Slick Rick is likely not the only surprise big dog we can kick tires on either.....again, Thorr wants to win. I'm all in. Excited to see what he presents to us in a couple of weeks!

Think Big, we do!

Go Rhody.
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Jay Leno is a native of Andover, MA
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Someone like Dan Hurley should actually get his $1.5 Mil (if he had stayed), because he earned it, and he's worth it and he has a lot of miles left on the Odometer.

Someone like Pitino should get $1 Mil. Flat rate. That's it. We all know he is underpaid, but he's happy to take it, it could be his last job and he "loves coaching" The regional media would "get it" and sign off on it as legitimate.

Someone like David Cox get's $650K, because he doesn't have a resume and it's a risk. A bigger risk than many on this site would acknowledge.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This thread is the perfect read as a prelude to a dark and Stormy evening ahead!!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Blueram - what is your obsession with the coach's salary? It’s the only thing you’ve talked about for days, and with every comment you make about it you make it more clear that you don’t know what you’re talking about. The idea that URI should have a set salary that they pay the coach no matter who he is or what the circumstances are is so nonsensical that I don’t even understand the point you are tying to make.

Ok I agree with you that I don't want coaches to leave over salary, but that doesn't happen because of what you pay a guy in the first year. The way to keep a guy is to be able to match the salary offers when they come from other schools. Paying more when you're only bidding against yourself actually hurts your ability to do that - you can either spend a dollar now or you can spend it later, but you can't spend it twice. That is what I mean when I say the market sets the price. The only way I'd want to pay Cox (not picking on him specifically, anyone in his situation) $1.25M is if someone else was offering him $1.2M. The expectations for results are the same whether you pay 750K or 1.25M or 1.75M. The other piece is that with an inexperienced coach, a veteran assistant becomes a priority and you'll need to allocate resources to that. I just feel like you're arguing from emotion and not from logic.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is a really list ever released?
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

side benefit to hiring Pitino...would doubt there'd be much reason to complain about "lack of ProJo coverage" :lol: :lol:
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Tubby Smith. Not that I’m advocating for him. Although he’s rumored to be taking the High Point opening - his alma mater.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

here is a little history lesson for anyone who thinks Slick Rick can't coach college ball. One dead eye shooter, Brooks and a team of nobody.....imagine what he could do with Fatts Russell and crew?

I understand the vitriol but saying the man can't coach is just not right......

http://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/ ... y-donovan/
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

steviep123 wrote:I’m surprised no one has mentioned Tubby Smith. Not that I’m advocating for him. Although he’s rumored to be taking the High Point opening - his alma mater.
Tubby Smith is like an airplane that was on descent and crashed. Something like that.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If slick rich didn’t mess around , he’d be coaching in the tournament competing for a national championship right now.
GO RAMS
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

This is turning into a hall of fame bad take. Rick Pitino is not a special basketball mind? Lol. Take a look at his 2012-13 roster and get back to me.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If they hire Pitino, rename this message board "Final Four or Bust"
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

jcru wrote:If they hire Pitino, rename this message board "Final Four or Bust"
According to the words of our Athletic Director we should do that anyway......
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I can't wait for the good bye presser in 2021, hopefully after a Final Four run:

"Guys, guys! Frank Keaney ain't coming through that door! Tommy Penders ain't coming through that door!"

Foxhole II
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:

Ok I agree with you that I don't want coaches to leave over salary, but that doesn't happen because of what you pay a guy in the first year. The way to keep a guy is to be able to match the salary offers when they come from other schools. Paying more when you're only bidding against yourself actually hurts your ability to do that - you can either spend a dollar now or you can spend it later, but you can't spend it twice. That is what I mean when I say the market sets the price. The only way I'd want to pay Cox (not picking on him specifically, anyone in his situation) $1.25M is if someone else was offering him $1.2M. The expectations for results are the same whether you pay 750K or 1.25M or 1.75M. The other piece is that with an inexperienced coach, a veteran assistant becomes a priority and you'll need to allocate resources to that. I just feel like you're arguing from emotion and not from logic.
Just gotta disagree with you. I would probably not take a position in the company you work for if that is the philosophy .
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The idea of pitino (the wins, tweaking PC, instant brand) and the reality of pitino (messes he leaves behind, the outcry on moral grounds, professor protest) are two very different things.

I have trust the current URI Admin actually gets the value of our basketball team and know stepping back to where we were is not a reasonable option. With all the improvements the University has put in to building its academic reputation, with associated facility improvements, the basketball team remains the public face that draws eyes towards Kingston.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

professor protests?
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

it is a subset of the outcry on moral grounds. there would be a group of professors who would ask faculty senate to pass a formal motion informing the president they disapprove of the highering and that money should go to academics, or only hire those will outstanding moral standings. the fact they mostly have gotten over the money issues with basketball does show the amount of outreach the school has done and demonstrated on the positives that come from the successful basketball team
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

steviep123 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:The longer this thread goes the happier I am that it’s Thoor, and not posters, running this search
100% agreed
Yup. Count me in on that. As far as Pitino goes, I'm normally someone who has no problem giving people another chance to change perceptions or seek to right their wrongs. However, giving Pitino that the opportunity to do so here at URI would be an absolute huge risk to this program in the long term.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Are they going to appoint a Special Counsel too? Is Mueller available?

How about Trey Gowdy?

Maybe Thorr can counter that by declaring the campus a Sanctuary campus.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:

This is turning into a hall of fame bad take. Rick Pitino is not a special basketball mind? Lol. Take a look at his 2012-13 roster and get back to me.
I don't need to look it up. That was Mike Marra's (from my hometown) senior year. I'm not sure your point, though. That was a good college team - not a lot of great pros, but it was hardly surprising they won a championship. It's not like he took Fordham's roster to the Final Four.

I think in the early part of Pitino's career he was a basketball genius. I think by the end he relied on loaded rosters - he became mainly a recruiter. And when you find out that his recruiting was not on the level then it takes some shine off of that, too. I never said he was a bad coach. I just don't think he's going to single handedly make a ton of difference from an Xs and Os standpoint at this point in his career.

This is all really besides the point to me, anyways. The reason I don't want him here has much more to do with where we are at in terms of building a program. I want to take the big picture view and build it brick by brick so that it is self-sustaining and consistent over the long haul, not doing the coaching equivalent of a get rich quick scheme. Earlier in this thread I made the analogy that he is Tony Soprano and we'd be Davey's sporting goods store. He would bust this program out, and since I am less confident than others in his ability to actually win anything here that David Cox couldn't, it definitely isn't worth it to me. And if you could guarantee me that he could, it still probably wouldn't be worth it to me. I like that we are a program that graduates it's players, that our players are good kids that I can be proud of. People can say whatever they want about Dan now, but there is no denying he did it the right way in terms of running the program, and he proved you could win doing it that way. I would be mortified as a fan and an alumnus to be associated with a known cheater and slime ball. If we were in year 17 of CFL maybe I'd be less concerned about that part, but we aren't. We have a good thing going and it isn't worth debasing ourselves for whatever Pitino would give you.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

I don't need to look it up. That was Mike Marra's (from my hometown) senior year. I'm not sure your point, though. That was a good college team - not a lot of great pros, but it was hardly surprising they won a championship. It's not like he took Fordham's roster to the Final Four.

I think in the early part of Pitino's career he was a basketball genius. I think by the end he relied on loaded rosters - he became mainly a recruiter. And when you find out that his recruiting was not on the level then it takes some shine off of that, too. I never said he was a bad coach. I just don't think he's going to single handedly make a ton of difference from an Xs and Os standpoint at this part of his career.

This is all really besides the point to me, anyways. The reason I don't want him here has much more to do with where we are at in terms of building a program. I want to take the big picture view and build it brick by brick so that is self sustaining and consistent over the long haul, not doing the coaching equivalent of a get rich quick scheme. Earlier in this thread I made the analogy that he is Tony Soprano and we'd be Davey's sporting goods store. He would bust this program out, and that I am less confident than others in his ability to actually win anything here that David Cox couldn't, it definitely isn't worth it to me. And if you could guarantee me that he could, it still probably wouldn't be worth it to me. I like that we are a program that graduates it's players, that our players are good kids that I can be proud of. People can say whatever they want about Dan now, but there is no denying he did it the right way in terms of running the program, and he proved you could win doing it that way. I would be mortified as a fan and an alumnus to be associated with a known cheater and slime ball. If we were in year 17 of CFL maybe I'd be less concerned about that part, but we aren't. We have a good thing going and it isn't worth debasing ourselves for whatever Pitino would give you.
As someone who has seen our program go up and down and up and down. We are fragile always have been always will be.

We could hire a current head coach good hire kills our program like Baron did.

We could hire a quality assistant let’s say like Preston Murphy good pedigree quality guy ready for a shot at a head job. Unfortunately we find as a head coach he sucks like a deer in the headlights sucks kills our program. Love Preston got to use someone.

To me the least risk is with someone who has multiple NCAA tournament wins has gone deep in the tournament. Is there someone out there besides Pitino. JT3 Tubby ???? Harrick repeat hopefully.

From a pure basketball standpoint Pitino is a no brainer to say it’s worth debating is silly but I get the University reputation plus minus.

Thorr /Dooley are paid to make that decision let’s not handcuff them either way on our pure care of basketball results attitude or our I’m a better human being than slick Rick.

let’s let them decide they have done pretty well so far. Batman and Batman.

GO RHODY!
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

urirx wrote:the reality of pitino (messes he leaves behind, the outcry on moral grounds, professor protest)
This whole "rick pitino is a big meanie cheater who will ruin everything" argument is getting real old. What makes people think hiring Pitino will automatically, no questions asked, leave our program a dumpster fire? Pitino has seen what his life is like without coaching, and he hates it. The man wants his reputation back, and he wants to be competitive again.

I think Thorr should interview Pitino, and if Thorr gets the impression that Pitino wants to stay here for more than a couple of years, he should pull the trigger and make the hire.

YES Pitino has a controversial past with NCAA regulations and YES David Cox is squeaky clean.

But one coach has won national championships and one is an assistant coach with no head coach track record.

Get off your high horses and let's do what's best for winning! Go big or go home. WE WANT RICK
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You can't manage out of fear of failure and you can't feel like you are doomed to repeat your past over and over again and ever hope to be successful. You have to have a destination in mind and take the steps required to get there. Gonzaga, Xavier/Butler/Creighton (pre-Big East), Wichita State, VCU...they didn't become national programs and household names by attaching themselves to disgraced retread coaches. You don't build lasting sustainable success that way. URI needs this to be URI's program, not Rick Pitino's program in order to have success that will continue from one coach to the next.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

just imagine for a moment that slick comes here and wins big, puts a team out there that could compete with any in the east. That would really suck, I bet TP would hate it because he doesn't like slick's reputation. Well, DH has a reputation as an honest guy, but he lied and put us in his rear-view mirror, so fuck reputation. Craft a contract that makes sense and let's see if slick can coach his ass off still.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

So are you really saying we need to hire an assistant keep continuity and URI stamp so to say.

GO RHODY
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

brady1 wrote:So are you really saying we need to hire an assistant keep continuity and URI stamp so to say.

GO RHODY
I'm not saying that just because I want URI to be squeaky clean. I'm saying it because I think it's the best way for URI to be good next year and the year after that, and five years from now, and ten years from now, and beyond.

If I didn't think David Cox was the best guy for the job, looking at it holistically, I wouldn't be advocating for him to get the job. I don't take Pitino seriously as a candidate. I don't think he would get a returned phone call, never mind an interview. But for the sake of argument, I don't think his ceiling is significantly higher than Cox's at this point in their respective careers, and I think his floor is several levels lower than David Cox even would know how to get to if he wanted to.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Hey that special with uri included is on cbs sports network now

I think all they showed was Rhody on and off the bus.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Why do you guys think Pitino wasn't a candidate at Memphis, who hired a guy with much less experience than Cox? Or at Pittsburgh, where they can't give the job away despite offering a monster salary and desperately need someone to save them before they become a can't-win job in the ACC? Or at Georgia? Or any other job that has opened this year? They just forgot Pitino was available?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Of all of those jobs...this one provides the best chance to win right away? So...he's not interested? :lol:
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe, but why didn't THEY want HIM? Your point would answer the opposite question.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be interesting to see how Bjorn and Dooley feel about Pitino as they are the ones that matter

If we go that way then I think we lose Harris but everyone else stays I would guess

Recruiting should be elevated you would think
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't think you're going to hear about a school's interest in him, or his interest in a school...until it's just about 'done'.

And I don't get, or agree with, the idea Harris doesn't come if Pitino does? I'm thinking he'd get here early...
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

TruePoint wrote:
brady1 wrote:So are you really saying we need to hire an assistant keep continuity and URI stamp so to say.

GO RHODY
I'm not saying that just because I want URI to be squeaky clean. I'm saying it because I think it's the best way for URI to be good next year and the year after that, and five years from now, and ten years from now, and beyond.

If I didn't think David Cox was the best guy for the job, looking at it holistically, I wouldn't be advocating for him to get the job. I don't take Pitino seriously as a candidate. I don't think he would get a returned phone call, never mind an interview. But for the sake of argument, I don't think his ceiling is significantly higher than Cox's at this point in their respective careers, and I think his floor is several levels lower than David Cox even would know how to get to if he wanted to.
I’m all in on Coach Cox if Thorr picks him. I’m worried there is more downside to the assistant route for URI and it’s fickle fan base and the a10 than there is with a coach with a deep NCAA tourney resume any coach with one not just the slickster.

GO RHODY!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I don't think you're going to hear about a school's interest in him, or his interest in a school...until it's just about 'done'.
I don't think that's the case. We know Georgia went after Thad Matta, who turned them down. We know Pittsburgh went after Hurley and Miller, they've been connected to Oats, Willard and now Schmidt in the press. I think the market for Pitino is dead. He's persona non grata. He is toxic and a pariah. The only program that will give him a chance is one that is similarly dead and in need of a miracle.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Whole lot of crazy talk in this thread about hiring Pitino. Thankfully clear thinking intelligent people are deciding this making the probability of it happening ZERO.

Disappointed that there appear to be some who have no problem whoring out Rhody. Thought our fans were above that.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:

Ed Cooley was the Head Coach at Fairfield for FIVE YEARS before taking the PC job. He was paid less than $600,000 his last year at Fairfield.
His first year at PC he earned $783,513.
Chris Mack was paid $484,399 his first year as Head Coach at Xavier.
Can you drop it now?
“We will be good when we are good.”
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I don't think you're going to hear about a school's interest in him, or his interest in a school...until it's just about 'done'.

And I don't get, or agree with, the idea Harris doesn't come if Pitino does? I'm thinking he'd get here early...
You do realize Harris' high school coach played for Cox right? Harris literally picked URI to play for Cox. He would not be coming here if anyone else was here.

By your logic Harris should have chose Kansas (with Self's history) over all the other schools on his list. Relationship mattered to him more than anything else.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If they choose Cox and get off to a slow start...depending who's in town...those during break games...may not fetch 3,000?