Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Unread post by Obadiah »

BFC, Mike Medcalf’s ESPN article on the A-10 OOC schedules was a bit too generalized and offered little differentiation. On the La Salle ranking, he failed to include Temple whose RPI of 41 makes it a tough game. La Salle is also the only A-10 school not to play any 300+ RPI teams. GMU’s schedule is overrated. They play 3 teams with 300+ RPI. Richmond has a tough schedule, but I would put them behind VCU only because they also play 3 teams with 300+ RPI. Only Duquesne plays more at 5. Also giving UMass the same ranking as URI is not right. UMass has a more difficult schedule. Considering SLU's performance last year and current prospects, their schedule is wimpy.

Looking at the A-10 schedules in some detail based on a composite RPI to reflect their OOC schedule, you get more differentiation. One small weakness in this analysis is the use of last year’s RPI, but let’s face it, North Carolina A&T is not going to go from #213 to Duke in one year.

A more significant defect is that all the OOC opponents are not yet known – tournament rivals beyond first round are to be determined. The URI composite is especially affected because of the question on Arizona. With Arizona included, the URI rating moves up to 180.

A-10 OOC Summary:

Code: Select all

Rank	  School	      Composite RPI
1.		VCU	               139
2.		St. Joseph’s	      144
3.		UMass	             150
4.		Richmond	          150
5.		La Salle	          155
6.		Dayton	            172
7.		Saint Louis U.	    175
8.		George Washington	 179
9.		George Mason	      190
10.	  URI	               198
11.	  St. Bonaventure	   213
12.	  Fordham	           215
13.	  Duquesne	          239
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Is that last year's ending RPI?? Not sure how that's all that relevent to this season.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yea, it's the season ending RPI. As I said it's not perfect, but the RPI doesn't change drastically from year to year for the majority of schools. For example, looking at random at some RPI's for the last three years; UNH, 296, 296, 274; Maine 265, 284, 215; Bowling Green 274, 157, 245; Delaware 141, 153, 140. It would be better to have a forecast RPI, but that would still have questions. What do you suggest as better?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Not sure where u rate umass lowell. Weren't the div 2 last year and no rpi?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For lack of stats and info, I ranked Lowell and all D2 schools at #348. For example, St Louis has scheduled Rockhurst U., a D2 school.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If we're going to play UMass-Lowell, why not Bryant. Bryant had a 158 RPI last year. I'm disappointed that the OOC teams coming into the RC, other than PC, all had 200-plus RPI's last year and one, Umass-Lowell, was Div. 2.
Throw out Maine, UNH and UMass-Lowell for BU, Towson and Bryant and it's a better and more interesting schedule.
If you can't convince BCS schools to come play you can still do much better than what they ended up with.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Iggy, agree with your point. Here is another stat to chew on. Looking at the announced OOC opponents to date for all A-10 schools and break out the number of opponents they are playing with RPI's under 200, you get this picture. Ex Fordham and Duquesne who are not playing in tournaments, these numbers will change as the tournaments play out. Given URI has the most unknown opponents to date, the Rams' position has a good chance to improve, up to a max of 8 out of 14.

Code: Select all

Dayton,            7 out of 13
Duquesne,          5 out of 13
Fordham,           5 out of 14
George Mason,      6 out of 12 
La Salle,          8 out of 12
UMass,             9 out of 12
URI,               4 out of 10
Richmond,         10 out of 14
St. Joe's,         8 out of 12
St. Louis,         8 out of 13
St. Bona,          5 out of 11
VCU,               9 out of 13
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

OB: good stuff. I'm concentrating on the OOC games at the RC -- that's what I pay for and I want good value. I think URI easily could've had a better home OOC schedule. This might be worse than any in the Baron Errror.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Iggy1979 wrote:If we're going to play UMass-Lowell, why not Bryant. Bryant had a 158 RPI last year. I'm disappointed that the OOC teams coming into the RC, other than PC, all had 200-plus RPI's last year and one, Umass-Lowell, was Div. 2.
Throw out Maine, UNH and UMass-Lowell for BU, Towson and Bryant and it's a better and more interesting schedule.
If you can't convince BCS schools to come play you can still do much better than what they ended up with.
+1 completely agree. Apart fom PC the nonconf schedule is the worst in the history of the RC.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want Bryant on the schedule also !!!
rhodyRams08
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyRams08 »

Took a look at the canisius message board and there is mention of canisius playing in the Rutgers pod of the nit tip off....possible match up with rhody???
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Didn't DiSano or someone say that they could not play rhody if they both didn't get to MSG?
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ATP, I think you are right. I'd love to see us get to MSG but then I was started fantasizing about something.

Imagine both us and Canisius NOT making it to MSG and then us hosting Canisius at The Ryan Center.

I think I'd lose my mind!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Geez, THAT would be a MUST WIN.
Imagine losing to CFL at The Ryan?
Eh, stick Biggie on Billy and take him out of the game.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

One would think that whoever is in the Rutgers "bracket' would have a better shot at getting to the garden. Duke and Arizona create a far more difficult situation - (Alabama, the other bracket?)
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Starting to have some concerns about the NIT Season Tip-Off as it appears that not all the teams are set. It seems that there may be only 13 teams committed at this time for the 16 team format tourney. Per Jeff Goodman's tweets, the field is not set for the Arizona pod where URI will play. Be forewarned that the 2012 tourney had D2 Alabama-Huntsville as a participant (http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files ... racket.pdf). I fear that organizers may have to go that route again given the diminishing time and lack of options. If there are D2 teams in pods, it is bad for teams like Rhody that will not host the first round pods. I highly doubt that the hosts would be made to play non D1 schools. This would mean that URI would likely play the non-D1 school in the first game for the right to play Arizona if they can't get a D1 opponent for the AZ pod. The host Arizona would then avoid playing the non-D1 school. Furthermore, it could mean non D1 schools could be opponents in the later non MSG regionals.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 18h Most of the Preseason NIT teams still don't know who is in their pod. Arizona, Rhode Island and FDU in Tucson -- no clue on the fourth team.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 18h Rutgers has Drexel and Elon, but there is no fourth team locked in yet in that pod of the Preseason NIT.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 18h Duke's pod is set, though -- with East Carolina, Norfolk State and UNC Asheville.

Link:
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I approve of Southern Miss. It's different and interesting.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed, some spice in this bland home slate.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why does Rutgers lead the crap part of the NIT?
Gee, it wouldn't have anything to do with being a New York area team.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think it's Duke that leads the crap part. Talk about 3 stiffs. A joke.

Moe, Larry, Curley and the Dukes. Sounds like a TV show. A bad one.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why doe s a shit program like Rutgers rate such a weak bracket?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe because they're going B10 next year. It certainly can't be based on current talent.

They very well might not make it out of their pod.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

South Mississippi is a nice add to the home schedule given their #31 RPI last year.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

oh yeah So Miss is a good team for the schedule
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

maybe brett favre will show up!!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For those planning to attend the November 11 game at SMU, note that the game will be played at the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland, TX, about 18 miles from the SMU campus. SMU's campus arena, Moody Coliseum is undergoing, a $47 million renovation and will not be ready until the first of the year.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

To a certain degree, the quality of scheduling is a reflection of the networking capability of URI Athletics and the head coach. I cannot repeat enough that participating in top-notch early season/holiday is an important piece of scheduling because it gives a mid-major school like URI a chance to meet a BCS school or other top performing school on a neutral site.

Looking back through the URI archives I came up with this startling fact. In the sixteen seasons starting with Tom Penders’ first year up until the Baron era, URI was in such a tournament every single year. During the period the Rams, met on a neutral court, teams such as Virginia, UNLV, Seton Hall, Florida State, Alabama, Kansas, Texas A&M, Syracuse, USC, Stanford, TCU, Vanderbilt, Missouri to name a few. Then came the 11 seasons of Jim Baron where we were not invited to a tourney in six seasons and in the other five years we faced hardly any BCS schools on a neutral site. So poor was the tournament quality that the biggest tests in Baron’s 11 years was Villanova at the Palestra and Miami (FL) in Vegas.

Hurley has bested that record in only his second year. While the home part of schedule may be a bit weak, the overall schedule is shaping up fine. And we can expect more good news on scheduling in the future.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From ESPN, According to Andy Katz, today is the day for preseason NIT.........

3. The NIT Season Tip-Off is supposed to release its long-awaited bracket Tuesday. This is what we know
for sure: the four hosts are Arizona, Duke, Rutgers and Alabama. And you can lock in Arizona and Duke will be on opposite sides of the bracket so they can meet in a potential final at Madison Square Garden the day after Thanksgiving on Nov. 29. If that occurs then you'll get a treat of seeing two of the top freshmen in the country in Arizona's Aaron Gordon and Duke's Jabari Parker. Both of these teams should be considered Final Four contenders. The NIT bracket has been "the best secret in college sports,'' according to Arizona coach Sean Miller. That's called sarcasm and he's right. The bracket has taken way too long to be revealed.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Finally! Something to look forward to learning today.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Metro State? Really?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

WHO???? Great for the RPI, a Dll school.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

rod d2 games do not count towards rpi
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Good! Metro didn't play a single D-1 team all last season.
32-3 was against D-2 level schools.
I'm sure Dan will have the guys focused on winning. regardless of
the opposition.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

METRO STATE? CRAP! THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly as I feared - a non D1 school since organizers were so desperate to fill out the field with time running out. It is no concidence that matchups are set up to greatly reduce the odds that Arizona, one of the designated big name hosts, will have to play a non D1 school (Arizona plays FDU and then winner of URI-Metro State). It would be expected that URI beats Metro and then face Arizona. If Rhody does not advance to MSG (which is the tournament's expected and desired outcome) , URI better be a host and furthermore get the preferential treatment where it likley won't have to play a 2nd non-D1 school.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Another manipulated tournament, no matter what its title.
URI is clearly in a "lose-lose" situation.
You win, and "hey, it's a D-2 program. You should win!". Lose and it's,
"You lost to a D-2 school? God, you must suck!"
The kind of game which could haunt you in March, even with the NIT.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, when we get our national rep back, maybe we host our OWN tournament, where we call the shots on who we play.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

rod, we're playing a d2 school in tournament and had no control over who we played in the first round. It's not like we scheduled them as a home game, I doubt it hurts us at the end of the season. It's not hurting our RPI, just let it go.
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't what there is to be mad about. Just think of it as scheduling a game with Arizona, and an exhibition game against a top caliber D2 team as a separate matter.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

twisted3829 wrote:rod, we're playing a d2 school in tournament and had no control over who we played in the first round. It's not like we scheduled them as a home game, I doubt it hurts us at the end of the season. It's not hurting our RPI, just let it go.
Kind of my thoughts, too. Regardless, this team has a very packed November schedule. I like it- have this team play early and often, learn what you have out there, make adjustments before conference play starts.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, I'm voicing my opinion. If you don't like it,
don't read it!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Likely we got in late on the NIT tourn -- but I like to think they don't want DH upstart Rams crashing the party - so they sent us out west. Hoping that the travel will throw us off and the home crowd will ignite the wildcats.

Also the S miller connect could be it, I think some have speculated at that.

Regardless, to me people are scared of the DH year 2 train that is coming.

Our league has survived the purge just fine. If we kept everyone from last year we would have been the basketball version of the SEC in football. Instead I think we took a step back and look more like the B12. I prefer the B12 analogy for us, cause then we can get some highly touted games along with some gimmies. Then we go dancing.

highly touted games for me are Umass, SLU, Lasalle (for how long they last at the top), Richmond and obviously VCU. Question those teams if you want... I think a few bounces of the ball and any of them can be top 40... Maybe most questionable is Richmond but they return talent and I love their coach.

:D :D :D Here is to a great season of excitement!!!Go Rhody!!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since the 1st round game in the NIT is against a D2 opponent, can we schedule another OOC game?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:Since the 1st round game in the NIT is against a D2 opponent, can we schedule another OOC game?
I don't think you would want to do that anyway.

By my count, they have a 31 game schedule, 9 in 23 days to start the season.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

No matter how you cut it, the NCAA owns the rights to the NIT-name. Securing Division II talent for the NIT Season Tip-Off Tournament by NCAA organizers is BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BleedKeaneyBlue
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BleedKeaneyBlue »

I am trying to imagine what the Ryan Center would be like in an event Canisius and CFL were forced to return to the Ryan Center for two games. We have had some exciting match ups in the RC but I can't think of any game that the hype leading up to this game would be so big. Canisius would be bringing 4 people back that spent multiple years with our program. CFL (Head Coach), Billy (Top Player, MAAC Preseason POY), Pat Clarke (Assistant Coach), and Cory Macchioni (Graduate Assistant). I can't see how CFL would allow this especially since we know Pat Clarke handles the scheduling. CFL and Clarke must be going nuts over this. I think it would be bitter sweet for both Billy and Cory.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That would makes it so much sweeter when we kick their ass!!!!!

That game would be a sellout for sure.

Looks like it might happen too. Unless we win out in Ariz.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

No way would a NIT tipoff game vs Canisius would be anywhere near a sellout.

NIT games are not in the season tix package and the avg Rhody Hoop fan could care less about Baron and doesn't feel the passion that would drive us to not miss a chance to watch Hurley's Rams crush his Griffs.