A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Fordham lost their head coach and replaced him with an assistant. Their actual best player from last year was Ohams (PER = 22.2), and he graduated. They also lost Daye Jr. midseason, who was their second best player by PER, and part of the reason why they had a .500 record OOC. I think them holding serve near .500 would be a success for them, given the upheaval, but if you're looking for teams to go from mid-pack to the teens, they'd be one of my first choices. (I'm also not as bullish on George Mason, and think they might need a "consolidation" year instead of just continuing to improve.)
That is why I think Rhody will finish ahead Fordham.

But I do understand why some may not think that way.
As I said Quesenberry is a baller and they have some other starters returning.
Also the 2 young Penn State transfer bigs from last year have a season under their belt.
Transfer Khalid Moore is a nice addition for them.

As for GM, I think they will be good and very possibly a top 5 A10 team.
Well coached by English.
Oduro arguably the best big in the conference.
Add in double digit returning starters Cooper and Gaines.
Plus, Bailey, transfer Singleton, and some highly rated freshmen.
They should have a solid line-up.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Unless he has a prior engagement, pretty puzzling why Archie isn’t included in this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SLU's final 4 games will be critical to their outcome in the A10:

2/21- At Richmond
2/25- Loyola/Chicago
2/28- At VCU
3/3 - Dayton
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Fordham lost their head coach and replaced him with an assistant. Their actual best player from last year was Ohams (PER = 22.2), and he graduated. They also lost Daye Jr. midseason, who was their second best player by PER, and part of the reason why they had a .500 record OOC. I think them holding serve near .500 would be a success for them, given the upheaval, but if you're looking for teams to go from mid-pack to the teens, they'd be one of my first choices. (I'm also not as bullish on George Mason, and think they might need a "consolidation" year instead of just continuing to improve.)
Kyle Neptune came to Fordham from being an assistant at Penn State. He was a 1st year head coach and was at Fordham only 1 season before Penn State brought him back as HC. So now they bring in another assistant as HC. History repeats?

Daye left the program mid season. Was shooting a bad 25% 3FGs.

Quisenberry was the best player in the team but unfortunately missed 6 games with injury. He was 6th leading scorer in the A10 at 16+ ppg and shot 35% 3FGs. He transferred in from Youngstown State and has his grad year left to play. Should be a good year for him, candidate for All A10 Post Season recognition.

Ohams will be missed but players do eventually move on. He started at Fordham 2016-2017 so was there for 6 seasons.
CA04FBEB-A4A1-420D-97E4-55BD38E6164F.png

Khalid Moore will start after transferring from Georgia Tech where he started. Paired with Quisenberry it will be interesting to see how the incoming freshmen do.

Fordham’s incoming Freshmen:

4★PGWill Richardson(6-2 160) #176 on 247sports
2★PGNoah Best(6-5 166) #323 on 247sports
3★SGÁngel Montas(6-5 210) #210 on 247Sports
3★SFRomad Dean(6-7 185)
2★PFElijah Gray(6-8 219)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Kyle Neptune came to Fordham from being an assistant at Penn State. He was a 1st year head coach and was at Fordham only 1 season before Penn State brought him back as HC. So now they bring in another assistant as HC. History repeats?

Quissinberry was the best player in the team but unfortunately missed 6 games with injury. He was 6th leading scorer in the A10 at 16+ ppg and shot 35% 3FGs. He transferred in from Youngstown State and has his grad year left to play. Should be a good year for him, candidate for All A10 Post Season recognition.

Ohams will be missed but players do eventually move on. He started at Fordham 2016-2017 so was there for 6 seasons.

Khalid Moore will start after transferring from Georgia Tech where he started. Paired with Quissinberry it will be interesting to see how the incoming freshmen do.
Ramster, I think you meant Neptune came to Fordham from Villanova and went back to Villanova as HC.

Urgo was associate HC at Penn State, was there for 10 years.
Was also previously at Villanova.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah, his '23 recruiting class can possibly save his job and maybe they can surprise some this season.
The team does have some talent.

His 3 years at St. Joe's are nothing to write home about, A10 record:
(19-20) - 2-16, T13th
(20-21) - 3-9, T13th
(21-22) - 5-13, T12th
Total - 10-38 (.208)

Not sure how long of a leash they will give him.
His seat is getting very warm.
Each year that you just posted improved over the previous year.
This article from the Philly Inquirer by Mike Jensen indicates how this year’s and especially next years recruiting classes have added an estimated 2 years at least to Lange’s stay. Emphasizes how the recruits are from Philly as well. The new AD at St Joseph’s made this fire/hire move when she took over at St Joseph’s - she is unlikely to fire her first hire now that he is recruiting so well this summer.
I'm assuming you're joking about the improvement comment, Ramster? 10-38 is horrible. He does have a great class, but he's not a good coach. That's like trying to convince my mom that I deserved praise when I went from a D- to a D in middle school. It still was a horrible grade.
Stevey,

The original premise from 77 was that Lange is in the hot seat this season. I disagreed and stated my reasons. Also referenced this article from Philly Inquirer. Pasted part as Philly Inquirer requires subscription.
Lange is headed into his 4th year.
He has #3 A10 Ranked 247Sports recruiting class coming in this year along with Hal Green transfer from Dayton coming back home to Philly.
Lange has the #1 Ranked A10 247Sports recruiting class for next season.
All I’m saying is I do not think Lange is in the hot seat. He was left a shambles when the new St Joe AD let Martelli go. Incoming Recruits bailed. Lange is rebuilding with Philly players. His top recruit for next season he started recruiting in his freshman year of HS - and landed him.

Lange landed Christ Essandoko who committed to PC, then decommitted. Here is PC thread. Of course as with all message boards PC fans loved the 7-foot Essandoko when they were in his Final 7 - Oral Roberts, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Maryland, Providence, Illinois and NC State (he has great upside) and he chose PC, then not so much love when he decommitted. (He wasn’t that good anyway) :lol: :lol:

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 86/?page=1

This St. Joseph’s men’s basketball 2023 recruiting class committed to play on Hawk Hill starting next year – it’s a game changer.
It should also be a pressure changer. Whenever a new university president shows up to replace Mark Reed, presumably sometime in the next year, the status of the men’s basketball coach should not be on the agenda
If you think about it, college basketball essentially works on two tracks: The games on the court, and the game that is recruiting top talent. It’s hard to win on either track without succeeding on the other. SJU has recently had some legit wins in the area that can lead to long-term success.
We don’t want to oversell what’s going on. Shawn Simmons announced his commitment Saturday, following Xzayvier Brown and Anthony Finkley.
Are we talking Power 5-level players?
“I don’t think any of the three are Power 5 level,” said Ari Rosenfeld, who runs the locally based Elite High School Scouting service.
That’s not a knock, Rosenfeld made clear. Simmons is “a Power 5 athlete,” and all can be upper-level Atlantic 10 players.
“Xzayvier definitely,” Rosenfeld said. “X is the key … the one you can really build around, on and off the court.”
So we’re not suggesting Jameer Nelson and Delonte West are showing up. We are 100% saying this looks like the best SJU recruiting class since Hakim Hart and Jameer Nelson Jr. (and, yes, Bones Hyland) were supposed to show up before Phil Martelli got fired and they all went elsewhere.
And that brings us to Lange’s status.
Ashley Howard was let go after his fourth season at La Salle, the Explorers finishing 11-19 despite beating St. Joe’s three times last season. That would suggest Lange is on the hot seat entering his fourth season after three years of 6-26, 5-15, and 11-19.
The difference? Lange started on the back foot after all those Martelli players fled. Scratch a line through at least those first two seasons. This class is a true opportunity to prove Lange can get the Hawks back in NCAA contention, and if Lange isn’t given the chance for a couple of seasons with these players, the top administrators at St. Joseph’s would simply be repeating past sins. (We’ve written about the bungled coaching transition, putting the blame squarely on Reed, who just left St. Joe’s to take over as president of Loyola University in Chicago.)

Nobody gets a lifetime deal. Martelli shouldn’t have … Lange shouldn’t. Hoops just matter at St. Joe’s and here’s a chance to get it right, building around legit ballplayers. Anyone who saw Brown play for Roman Catholic High or this summer understands he plays older than his years. (If I’m forced to make a comparison, I’ll go Langston Galloway. Not in the way he plays, but in his makeup and maturity on the court.)
You could argue that there’s always a next class coming in, that you can always point to the future, giving the coach another chance. That’s not the point. If the 2023-24 season is a complete bust, that would be factored into Lange’s job status. By 2024-25, the Hawks need to at least be contending for March Madness.
But in 2022-23, this season right in front of us, with Lynn Greer Jr. in from Dayton and several other new players in the fold, the Hawks should not be worrying about the job status of their head coach.
A bonus to it all: These latest recruits are Philly kids. This could be a Philly team the city could root for inside Hagan Arena. SJU just needs a little patience now.
Don’t let this group get away.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-AA10Wvuo
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kyle Neptune came to Fordham from being an assistant at Villanova. He was a 1st year head coach and was at Fordham only 1 season before Villanova brought him back as HC. So now they bring in another assistant as HC. History repeats?

Quisenberry was the best player in the team but unfortunately missed 6 games with injury. He was 6th leading scorer in the A10 at 16+ ppg and shot 35% 3FGs. He transferred in from Youngstown State and has his grad year left to play. Should be a good year for him, candidate for All A10 Post Season recognition.

Khalid Moore will start after transferring from Georgia Tech where he started. Paired with Quissinberry it will be interesting to see how the incoming freshmen do.
Ramster, I think you meant Neptune came to Fordham from Villanova and went back to Villanova as HC.

Urgo was associate HC at Penn State, was there for 10 years.
Was also previously at Villanova.
I did, thanks for correction. Fixed it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Each year that you just posted improved over the previous year.
This article from the Philly Inquirer by Mike Jensen indicates how this year’s and especially next years recruiting classes have added an estimated 2 years at least to Lange’s stay. Emphasizes how the recruits are from Philly as well. The new AD at St Joseph’s made this fire/hire move when she took over at St Joseph’s - she is unlikely to fire her first hire now that he is recruiting so well this summer.
I'm assuming you're joking about the improvement comment, Ramster? 10-38 is horrible. He does have a great class, but he's not a good coach. That's like trying to convince my mom that I deserved praise when I went from a D- to a D in middle school. It still was a horrible grade.
Stevey,

The original premise from 77 was that Lange is in the hot seat this season. I disagreed and stated my reasons. Also referenced this article from Philly Inquirer. Pasted part as Philly Inquirer requires subscription.
He has #3 A10 Ranked 247Sports recruiting class coming in this year along with Hal Green transfer from Dayton coming back home to Philly.
All I’m saying is I do not think Lange is in the hot seat. He was left a shambles when the new St Joe AD let Martelli go. Incoming Recruits bailed. Lange is rebuilding with Philly players. His top recruit for next season he started recruiting in his freshman year of HS - and landed him.

Lange landed Christ Essandoko who committed to PC, then decommitted. Here is PC thread. Of course as with all message boards PC fans loved the 7-foot Essandoko when they were in his Final 7 - Oral Roberts, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Maryland, Providence, Illinois and NC State (he has great upside) and he chose PC, then not so much love when he decommitted. (He wasn’t that good anyway) :lol: :lol:

This St. Joseph’s men’s basketball 2023 recruiting class committed to play on Hawk Hill starting next year – it’s a game changer.
It should also be a pressure changer. Whenever a new university president shows up to replace Mark Reed, presumably sometime in the next year, the status of the men’s basketball coach should not be on the agenda
If you think about it, college basketball essentially works on two tracks: The games on the court, and the game that is recruiting top talent. It’s hard to win on either track without succeeding on the other. SJU has recently had some legit wins in the area that can lead to long-term success.
We don’t want to oversell what’s going on. Shawn Simmons announced his commitment Saturday, following Xzayvier Brown and Anthony Finkley.
“I don’t think any of the three are Power 5 level,” said Ari Rosenfeld, who runs the locally based Elite High School Scouting service.
That’s not a knock, Rosenfeld made clear. Simmons is “a Power 5 athlete,” and all can be upper-level Atlantic 10 players.
“Xzayvier definitely,” Rosenfeld said. “X is the key … the one you can really build around, on and off the court.”
So we’re not suggesting Jameer Nelson and Delonte West are showing up. We are 100% saying this looks like the best SJU recruiting class since Hakim Hart and Jameer Nelson Jr. (and, yes, Bones Hyland) were supposed to show up before Phil Martelli got fired and they all went elsewhere.
Ashley Howard was let go after his fourth season at La Salle, the Explorers finishing 11-19 despite beating St. Joe’s three times last season. That would suggest Lange is on the hot seat entering his fourth season after three years of 6-26, 5-15, and 11-19.
The difference? Lange started on the back foot after all those Martelli players fled. Scratch a line through at least those first two seasons. This class is a true opportunity to prove Lange can get the Hawks back in NCAA contention, and if Lange isn’t given the chance for a couple of seasons with these players, the top administrators at St. Joseph’s would simply be repeating past sins. (We’ve written about the bungled coaching transition, putting the blame squarely on Reed, who just left St. Joe’s to take over as president of Loyola University in Chicago.)

Nobody gets a lifetime deal. Martelli shouldn’t have … Lange shouldn’t. Hoops just matter at St. Joe’s and here’s a chance to get it right, building around legit ballplayers. Anyone who saw Brown play for Roman Catholic High or this summer understands he plays older than his years. (If I’m forced to make a comparison, I’ll go Langston Galloway. Not in the way he plays, but in his makeup and maturity on the court.)
You could argue that there’s always a next class coming in, that you can always point to the future, giving the coach another chance. That’s not the point. If the 2023-24 season is a complete bust, that would be factored into Lange’s job status. By 2024-25, the Hawks need to at least be contending for March Madness.
But in 2022-23, this season right in front of us, with Lynn Greer Jr. in from Dayton and several other new players in the fold, the Hawks should not be worrying about the job status of their head coach.
A bonus to it all: These latest recruits are Philly kids. This could be a Philly team the city could root for inside Hagan Arena. SJU just needs a little patience now.

Ramster, because you are on the hotseat it doesn't necessarily mean the team is going to make an immediate change.

Last season with the talent they had, it was a big disappointment (Hall, Funk, Obinna, Reynolds, Brown)
Rothstein had them as the sleeper team to watch.
Going 10-38 your first 3 years gives you reason to pause.

I do like Billy Lange and was hoping he was going to succeed.
But he still needs to prove it as a head coach.
Sooner or later, you have to produce results.

Yes, this recruiting class may have bought him a little time, but his leash isn't getting any longer.

I did say that they still have some talent this season and disagreed with Busting Brackets predicting them 15.
Lynn Greer, Obinna, Reynolds, and Brown are all nice pieces.

Let's see what happens, but St. Joe's who has had success as a program before won't wait forever.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I believe Fordham is being overlooked. They finished ahead of URI last year. They are expected to do better then URI this year. Their OOC schedule includes a team that was ranked #1 in "The way too early top 25" for 2022-2023. Is there another A10 team that can say that. They are making things happen with a new coach. They are nothing like the Jets!!!
Are they making things happen with a new coach or did they make things happen with their last coach and now he's gone after one year? Like, great, they went 8-10 last year in a down A10 which is one of their best year's ever, but let's not act like they've accomplished anything yet
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Stevey,

Ramster, because you are on the hotseat it doesn't necessarily mean the team is going to make an immediate change.

Last season with the talent they had, it was a big disappointment (Hall, Funk, Obinna, Reynolds, Brown)

Yes, this recruiting class may have bought him a little time, but his leash isn't getting any longer.

I did say that they still have some talent this season and disagreed with Busting Brackets predicting them 15.

Let's see what happens, but St. Joe's who has had success as a program before won't wait forever.
You keep saying “this recruiting class”. It’s really the 2022-23 class and the 2022-2023 class. Both solid. Neither class has taken the floor yet so of course it’s future talk.

If he didn’t have these two classes I’d agee fire him now. But as the Philly Inquirer writer says, these Philly area recruits have bought Lange two additional years. The writer says his seat is not hot anymore. I agree with the writer.

You think his seat is hot. No problem. I’ve been wrong before especially with last years record projection. But I was right that Cox would get fired last season if no NCAA. If I’m going to be wrong on 99 or 100 things I’d take the one right that Cox would get fired. It’s a new beginning.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Stevey,

You keep saying “this recruiting class”. It’s really the 2022-23 class and the 2022-2023 class. Both solid. Neither class has taken the floor yet so of course it’s future talk.

If he didn’t have these two classes I’d agee fire him now. But as the Philly Inquirer writer says, these Philly area recruits have bought Lange two additional years. The writer says his seat is not hot anymore. I agree with the writer.

You think his seat is hot. No problem. I’ve been wrong before especially with last years record projection. But I was right that Cox would get fired last season if no NCAA. If I’m going to be wrong on 99 or 100 things I’d take the one right that Cox would get fired. It’s a new beginning.
https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/09/01/ ... 23-season/

"The Hawks’ placement of last in these rankings has less to do with their roster (though that’s certainly a large part of it) than it does with Billy Lange being yet to prove that he can coach a successful team at the A10 level."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/09/01/ ... 23-season/

"The Hawks’ placement of last in these rankings has less to do with their roster (though that’s certainly a large part of it) than it does with Billy Lange being yet to prove that he can coach a successful team at the A10 level."
[/quote]

Probably should fire him now then if they believe he can’t coach. Move on now, no reason to wait. Another David Cox sounds like.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting incoming player for UMASS latest recruit. Saw this on the UMASS board:

69MG
Hall of Fame
Re: KAEO Robert Davis Jr
Post Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:36 am

MikeUMA wrote: ↑
The dude who runs A10 Vault on Twitter did an interview with RDJ

I listened to it earlier today. If this is the type of person Frank is bringing in I am all for it. Of course, he needs to produce on the court, but what a classy young man.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Hold up, is RhodyVault trying to rebrand as A10Vault?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago Hold up, is RhodyVault trying to rebrand as A10Vault?
That’s the dude. Maybe gave up on Archie granting him an interview.
Funny after the Tre Mitchell communications fiasco with URI and the RhodyVault Guarantee he was coming to URI, he is now interviewing incoming UMASS recruits.

From UMASS board…..
MikeUMA wrote: ↑
The dude who runs A10 Vault on Twitter did an interview with RDJ
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago Hold up, is RhodyVault trying to rebrand as A10Vault?
Pretty sure he controls Rhody Vault, A10Vault, and Big East Vault.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I was under the impression he was doing this kind of content for a bunch of different A-10 teams, hence the A-10 Vault account. If he's hoping to hustle and turn this side gig into a full-time job, then yeah, he would pretty much have to go conference-wide.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m glad Archie is staying away. Smart move.
3D221730-9D7C-4C91-9F9E-F3E1321FFC3C.jpeg
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am taking the name Pole Vault for the Rhody track team! :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
I was under the impression he was doing this kind of content for a bunch of different A-10 teams, hence the A-10 Vault account. If he's hoping to hustle and turn this side gig into a full-time job, then yeah, he would pretty much have to go conference-wide.
Having to run and build under these different names seems exhausting to me...and possibly counterproductive? Instead of focusing on build a single brand, he's spreading his efforts over multiple.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Having to run and build under these different names seems exhausting to me...and possibly counterproductive? Instead of focusing on build a single brand, he's spreading his efforts over multiple.
I did a tiny bit of research on it about 5 to 10 years ago, when I was between journalism-related layoffs, but at that point the economics of a URI-sports focused site didn't really work out well. Like, you would essentially need a patron or a booster to support you, because otherwise the audience isn't there. (For example - This site has almost 1,300 members, with an all-time high of 190 online at once. That's an impressive size and I love everyone who posts here :D ... but, it's a bit short of the critical mass you'd need to get serious interest from advertisers.) So, it's not surprising to me that he's dipping his toes into being an A-10 or Big East site as well. Ultimately, it's hard to find that sweet spot between audience size and content scope - the audience can be too small, the content scope can be too massive for one person, etc.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe he can get all the Big East and A10 Teams to get banners put up in their rafters........and then not take credit for it
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would appear the A-10 Tournament format for a league now with 15 members has been decided upon. As expected, the bottom six teams seeded 10-15 will play three games in a first day play in round. The odds are high that URI might be part of this group this upcoming March.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago I’m glad Archie is staying away. Smart move.

3D221730-9D7C-4C91-9F9E-F3E1321FFC3C.jpeg
Did Vault get Coach K ??
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Maybe he can get all the Big East and A10 Teams to get banners put up in their rafters........and then not take credit for it
It’s weird to take shots at 1 of the only non URI run accounts putting out content about Rhody on Twitter/IG. Has he said some dumb shit…sure. But he’s literally 1 of 1 and all exposure is good exposure for this program. He’s a fan.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

It’s weird to take shots at 1 of the only non URI run accounts putting out content about Rhody on Twitter/IG. Has he said some dumb shit…sure. But he’s literally 1 of 1 and all exposure is good exposure for this program. He’s a fan.
I disagree that all exposure is good exposure for this program.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago It would appear the A-10 Tournament format for a league now with 15 members has been decided upon. As expected, the bottom six teams seeded 10-15 will play three games in a first day play in round. The odds are high that URI might be part of this group this upcoming March.

On the plus side we still get in the A10 Tournament.

The absolute worst of the Baron years in post season play was when the A10 did not allow the bottom 2 teams from being in the A10 Bracket. And of course Baron had us among the bottom 2 teams so we stayed home. URI Basketball doesn't get any worse than that.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Ribbon has released their digital edition. Here’s how they see the A10:

1. Dayton
2. Saint Louis
3. VCU
4. Davidson
5. Loyola Chicago
6. Richmond
7. George Mason
8. St. Bonaventure
9. Rhode Island
10. Massachusetts
11. Fordham
12. Saint Joe’s
13. George Washington
14. Duquesne
15. La Salle

Will Geoghegan has the write-up for Rhody.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago Blue Ribbon has released their digital edition. Here’s how they see the A10:

1. Dayton
2. Saint Louis
3. VCU
4. Davidson
5. Loyola Chicago
6. Richmond
7. George Mason
8. St. Bonaventure
9. Rhode Island
10. Massachusetts
11. Fordham
12. Saint Joe’s
13. George Washington
14. Duquesne
15. La Salle

It seems to be pretty unanimous who the top 3 teams are.

After that it gets a little dicey.

Personally, I feel this prediction has the Bonnies too highly ranked and maybe not bullish enough on GM.

Also, I think UMass will finish higher than #10, especially with their recent additions.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 1 year ago Blue Ribbon has released their digital edition. Here’s how they see the A10:

1. Dayton
2. Saint Louis
3. VCU
4. Davidson
5. Loyola Chicago
6. Richmond
7. George Mason
8. St. Bonaventure
9. Rhode Island
10. Massachusetts
11. Fordham
12. Saint Joe’s
13. George Washington
14. Duquesne
15. La Salle

Personally, I feel this prediction has the Bonnies too highly ranked and maybe not bullish enough on GM.

Also, I think UMass will finish higher than #10, especially with their recent additions.
I thought the same when I saw the list, Jersey.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

1. Dayton
2. Saint Louis
3. VCU
4. Davidson
5. Loyola Chicago
6. Richmond
7. George Mason
8. St. Bonaventure
9. Rhode Island
10. Massachusetts
11. Fordham
12. Saint Joe’s
13. George Washington
14. Duquesne
15. La Salle

While the Top 3 may seem unanimous and easy to predict, consider last season Top 7 from A10 Coaches Preseason Poll:
  • None of the Top 3 Preseason finished in the Top 3. In fact they finished 4th, 6th and 5th respectively.
  • The 4th, 5th and 6th preseason picks ended up finishing in the Top 3
  • In fact, one could argue it's even tougher now to predict order of finish with all the transfers happening in college basketball.
Coaches Preseason Poll 2021-2022:
1. St Bonaventure 392 votes - finished 4th (12-5)
2. Richmond 359 votes - finished 6th (10-8)
3. St Louis 325 votes - finished 5th (12-6)
4. VCU 288 votes - finished 2nd (14-4)
5. Dayton 274 votes - finished 3rd (14-4)
6. Davidson 260 votes - finished 1st (15-3)
7. URI 231 voters - finished 11th (5-12)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

While the Top 3 may seem unanimous and easy to predict, consider last season Top 7 from A10 Coaches Preseason Poll:
  • None of the Top 3 Preseason finished in the Top 3. In fact they finished 4th, 6th and 5th respectively.
  • In fact, one could argue it's even tougher now to predict order of finish with all the transfers happening in college basketball.
Yes Ramster, these predictions are all speculation, that's why they play the games.

The Bonnies were the biggest disappointment.
I guess the duration of the season took its toll on the iron 5.

Richmond did come on strong at the end, winning the A10T and beating Iowa in the NCAAT.

As for Davidson, transfer Loyer had a much bigger impact than most thought.
Also, Luka surprised many and was named A10 POY.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes Ramster, these predictions are all speculation, that's why they play the games.

Richmond did come on strong at the end, winning the A10T and beating Iowa in the NCAAT.

Shows why it doesn’t mean much to spend a lot of time analyzing preseason predictions. They were way off last season.
Transfers in and out have increased the volatility considerably.

Fordham and GW both finished a huge 6 places higher in the standings than A10 Coaches predicted. Davidson finished 5 places higher than predicted.

Dayton or St Louis are locks on the Top 2 Places in the A10 standings based on past couple of years - and now Portal-Paloosa with players changing schools in droves. NIL is driving transfers and will become a bigger and bigger driver of transfers.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Shows why it doesn’t mean much to spend a lot of time analyzing preseason predictions. They were way off last season.
Transfers in and out have increased the volatility considerably.

Fordham and GW both finished a huge 6 places higher in the standings than A10 Coaches predicted. Davidson finished 5 places higher than predicted.

Dayton or St Louis are locks on the Top 2 Places in the A10 standings based on past couple of years - and now Portal-Paloosa with players changing schools in droves. NIL is driving transfers and will become a bigger and bigger driver of transfers.
Yes, but it gives us fans and the insiders something to do in the off-season.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Excellent info, Ramster, and much appreciated.

I enjoy making educated guesses and really don’t care if I am right or wrong regarding early season predictions. However, I do like to gage how compare against the cbb experts for the fun of it. I don’t wager so I only risk my pride.

Also, I can only use the info at hand without knowing of future injuries and other variables that come up during the season.

Good discussion.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Among the top 7 predicted, URI was the most disappointing finishing 4 slots lower. This is what happens when you can't recruit because the AD plans on firing the coach.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

For everyone's sanity just please stop talking.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

@JonRothstein
14h
All five of these projected starters had power conference offers out of high school --- four of them started there.
UMass has more than enough to finish in the top half of the Atlantic 10 in 2022-23.

Early prediction on UMass' 22-23 starting five:
Rahsool Diggins
Noah Fernandes
Matt Cross
Tafara Gapare
Wildens Leveque

Only Fernandes was with UMASS last season and he transferred in from Wichita State
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Another change coming to the A-10 Tournament format. It will now start a day earlier on Tuesday and take Friday off with it still concluding on Sunday.

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Another change coming to the A-10 Tournament format. It will now start a day earlier on Tuesday and take Friday off with it still concluding on Sunday.

Interesting.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Among the top 7 predicted, URI was the most disappointing finishing 4 slots lower. This is what happens when you can't recruit because the AD plans on firing the coach.
So again R72 would have preferred Cox over Miller…
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Loyola named #55 in 144 Madness Preseason Rankings. 4th in A10.

11 players added to the roster for 2022-2023
4 transfers
7 freshmen

Key New Players:
Philip Alston, Junior, Forward, Transfer from DII
Jayden Dawson, Freshman, Guard
Sheldon Edwards, Junior, Guard, Transfer from Valparaiso
Bryce Golden, Senior, Forward, Transfer from Butler
Trey Lewis, Freshman, Guard
Nolan Marold, Freshman, Forward
Jalen Quinn, Freshman, Guard
Caleb Reese, Freshman, Guard
Ben Schwieger, Freshman, Forward
Will Smythe, Freshman, Guard
Jeameril Wilson, Senior, Forward, Transfer from Lehigh

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/20938
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

nchof wrote: 1 year ago
He was at Bryant and PC yesterday. Continues to make the rounds. I think he enjoys the travel as he can visit many new restaurants along the way.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Among the top 7 predicted, URI was the most disappointing finishing 4 slots lower. This is what happens when you can't recruit because the AD plans on firing the coach.
No, fire the coach rather than run the program into the ground!
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
You literally wrote they should have extended Cox
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
nchof wrote: 1 year ago
He was at Bryant and PC yesterday. Continues to make the rounds. I think he enjoys the travel as he can visit many new restaurants along the way.
Rothstein loves that Italian food.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Yes I did, but with a URI friendly buy-out that (1) would have cost no more than they ended up paying Cox, (2) would have allowed URI to recruit quality players, and (3) would have kept current players motivated. Archie inherited a program with poor talent and had to start from scratch because of the way Cox's termination occurred.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2023 Recruiting Targets Sawyer Mayhugh 6'10" (@SawyerMayhugh) - Brewster and Expressions Elite (AAU) and Comeh Emuobor - Brewster and Commit Robert Davis (@robertdav1sjr) were at UMASS this weekend. UMASS hosted Stony Brook in Football. Martin was recruiting Emuodor at South Carolina.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Getting closer to the season, can't wait.