The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I’ll ask him next time I watch a game at his house
Just in case, wear a mask and be sure to root for his team.
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Similar story to Tre Mitchell. Left UNC in the middle of the season next.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago Similar story to Tre Mitchell. Left UNC in the middle of the season next.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in the Midwest (from Mn), maybe at a B10 school.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago Similar story to Tre Mitchell. Left UNC in the middle of the season next.

Which is a red flag unless it was due to family emergency.

I’m more interested in P5s transferring down bc they didn’t get the opportunity or got recruited over and mid/low major transfers who think they can play up. Malik and El Amin would fall into this category.

The guys with baggage are just that; and they just bring that baggage to their next place. It rarely is fixed. The Mitchells would fall into this category. Tre Mitchell falls into this category.

Guys like Twan and Shep who had legal/discipline issues are in their own camp I guess bc that can be circumstantial and doesn’t necessarily mean someone is a bad apple. Depending the situation those types of guys should also be considered.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

I’m more interested in P5s transferring down bc they didn’t get the opportunity or got recruited over and mid/low major transfers who think they can play up. Malik and El Amin would fall into this category.

The guys with baggage are just that; and they just bring that baggage to their next place. It rarely is fixed. The Mitchells would fall into this category. Tre Mitchell falls into this category.

Guys like Twan and Shep who had legal/discipline issues are in their own camp I guess bc that can be circumstantial and doesn’t necessarily mean someone is a bad apple. Depending the situation those types of guys should also be considered.
The report on him says it was due to family health issues.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah Tre Mitchell was family stuff. Not baggage. Bergeron is the only baggage, and that only comes if he does. He didn't go to Texas. Wouldn't expect him to come here if Tre commits either.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

yeah eff that dude - seriously we have no need for him - and no way Archie would stand for that BS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

His dad almost died in December and then his grandmother was shortly thereafter in the ICU.

I don’t know anything more specific than that, but provided it’s true can you blame the kid? Life is fragile.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

His dad almost died in December and then his grandmother was shortly thereafter in the ICU.

I don’t know anything more specific than that, but provided it’s true can you blame the kid? Life is fragile.
Of course not very valid reasons
Ramfan22
ARD

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago Similar story to Tre Mitchell. Left UNC in the middle of the season due to personal reasons. However he did leave UNC due to a family emergency not sure why Mitchell exactly left.

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

With all the portal comings and going’s, the junior college recruit options seem quiet, don’t they?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

What in the world is going on at UConn?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

Wow, the Boneyard must be going crazy.
Ramfan22
ARD

Get him to Kingston!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

That’s really surprising. Personal reasons? Home sick?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

as i have been saying

RHODY will be dancing next year

NO DOUBT
Ramfan22
ARD

Hoping we get at least one of these UConn transfers: Akok Akok, Corey Floyd, Rahsool Diggins.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago That’s really surprising. Personal reasons? Home sick?
He started out extremely promising, tore his Achilles, and has been a shell of himself since.

Might just be looking to reset his career somewhere else.
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

To me Akok doesn't seem like a guy that will be transferring down to a lower level program. Should be plenty of interest from high majors.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Unless I’m missing something, Dan didn’t lose one impact player in his tenure here. Everyone that was wanted by the program also wanted to be here. Hard to know what to make of what’s going on there.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago To me Akok doesn't seem like a guy that will be transferring down to a lower level program. Should be plenty of interest from high majors.
Akok has done nothing in 3 years. Always hurt.
“We will be good when we are good.”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

It's fairly apparent that very few programs or coaches are immune to the new wave transfer portal. With that being said , it must be a total shock to the Dan fan club on this board
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago To me Akok doesn't seem like a guy that will be transferring down to a lower level program. Should be plenty of interest from high majors.
Akok has done nothing in 3 years. Always hurt.
Yes, agreed. I still think he'll get plenty of high major interest.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Although he has done "nothing", there will be several programs that will welcome his "nothing,". I agree with Adam, he will have his high major offers. And , though Diggins has done "nothing", and Floyd obviously has done nothing because he hasn't played I would gladly welcome any of the three of all three in Kingston
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The portal giveth, the portal taketh away.

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Alok entering the portal on April 13 is a further example of the volatility of this new transfer culture. Although we are all very anxious to have Archie sign a couple players, there are still over 1000 guys available. While there is very little chance Archie or the fans will get their wish list, you also don't want to just scoop anyone up because they might want to come here.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

NCAA has to tighten this up a bit lol. Its out of control.
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Is this what the NCAA meant by emphasizing "freedom of movement"?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Wow, the Boneyard must be going crazy.
and THAT is never a bad thing...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago It's fairly apparent that very few programs or coaches are immune to the new wave transfer portal. With that being said , it must be a total shock to the Dan fan club on this board
It's less of a shock than it is confirmation that one of the most important roles on any cbb team is....the GM.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago NCAA has to tighten this up a bit lol. Its out of control.
Itll firgure itself out. At some point a lot of transfers wont get picked up, so the true risk of putting yourself in the portal will be seen and guys will hopefully be able to make good decisions for themselves and their futures.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not only that but we're dealing with the extra Covid year, both for players that received it and players that are blocked by those staying in college. Once those players that got the extra year cycle out things will calm down a little bit
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

Unless I’m missing something, Dan didn’t lose one impact player in his tenure here. Everyone that was wanted by the program also wanted to be here. Hard to know what to make of what’s going on there.
Some of it is timing. Akok and Gaffney were part of the first recruiting class, with Bouknight. They haven’t played to expectations for a variety of reasons. Akok will get attention because his raw skills are so tempting, but as mentioned, he’s had so many injuries (Achilles was the major, foot also). You watch him play and you wonder how everything doesn’t just break all the time. Akok and Jalen are two of the nicest young men you would ever want to meet. I hope they thrive wherever the go. Floyd leaving sucks, but he was worried about Castle possibly reclassifying and Newton and minutes. It’s frustrating, but the transfer rules are what they are and players should have every opportunity they think they should have. Diggins seems destined for the A10, where I think he’ll be really good. I know I am biased, but I don’t see why anyone would pick UMass over URI.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome to the college hoops version of free agency it is what it is
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Welcome to the college hoops version of free agency it is what it is
I'm waiting for the 4 or 5 top guys to join forces and demand to go to one team and start. Like the nba.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Welcome to the college hoops version of free agency it is what it is
I'm waiting for the 4 or 5 top guys to join forces and demand to go to one team and start. Like the nba.
That kinda sorta happened with Texas this year right?

They had so many GREAT individual players all team up last off season.

Obviously had disappointing results, as the talent on that team should’ve resulted in more than a 6 seed and only one NCAA win.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not that far away is my guess.... there's a couple 10th graders scheming it out now.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Didn’t that kinda happen 30 years ago with the Fab 5
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t that kinda happen 30 years ago with the Fab 5
They were recruited. Not transfer immediate eligible.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t that kinda happen 30 years ago with the Fab 5
They still decided to go to Michigan as a group, though. A simular thing happened with UMass too, with that AAU or prep group. (Can't remember which.)
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Frank is serving pizza to UMass students while Archie is recruiting.

“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
They still decided to go to Michigan as a group, though. A simular thing happened with UMass too, with that AAU or prep group. (Can't remember which.)
Woodstock Academy. All Bergerons kids.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I want to hear how many portal players are now paying for college.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

"The Grass Is Always Greener Over The Septic Tank".
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Frank is serving pizza to UMass students while Archie is recruiting.

Negative drip
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Frank is serving pizza to UMass students while Archie is recruiting.

Dan Hurley did the exact same thing shortly after he was hired.

He seemed to work out quite well here.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I guess I just don't see how this nightmare ehrmigod not the transfer portal situation you lay out is different than the last 40 plus years of North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc recruiting classes. People really are freaking out way too much about the portal. There are definitely negatives to it but that doesn't mean we have to go crazy about it
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
I guess I just don't see how this nightmare ehrmigod not the transfer portal situation you lay out is different than the last 40 plus years of North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc recruiting classes. People really are freaking out way too much about the portal. There are definitely negatives to it but that doesn't mean we have to go crazy about it
Wrong perspective. Those teams you mentioned get the the 5* players. URI needs players who have 3+ years together to get old. An old team can beat a 5* team.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Wrong perspective. Those teams you mentioned get the the 5* players. URI needs players who have 3+ years together to get old. An old team can beat a 5* team.
And that's exactly how our successful teams did it, by having great senior leadership. '78 had Jiggy and Stanley. '88 had Silk and Tommy. '98 had Tyson and Cat. '18 had Jared and EC. That's how we have to do it and from what I've heard Archie say in his press conference, that's his plan.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Coaches delivering pizza in dorms is as old as time.