The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

Did anyone say that? By the way, how many starters on next years team will be players we recruited from HS?
Cool actually recruited Antwan out of HS.

Ish was out of HS.

Jermaine was out of HS.

Cox recruited Malik out of HS.

Just maintained the connection when those guys transferred.
Cool. Let me restate. How many players we recruited and committed to URI are starting next year? Harris is not starting.
I get your point, was just poking holes.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Cool actually recruited Antwan out of HS.

Ish was out of HS.

Jermaine was out of HS.

Cox recruited Malik out of HS.

Just maintained the connection when those guys transferred.
Cool. Let me restate. How many players we recruited and committed to URI are starting next year? Harris is not starting.
We understand all the uncertainty and difficulty in maintaining the roster.
Regardless, the staff will continue to pursue the best available young talent at the HS/prep ranks and keep those pipelines going, as they should.
They will still spend much of their time on the road recruiting, scheduling visits, and sending out offers for the most promising recruits.
The coaches will not just sit back and take their chances on who may be available in the portal, unless our needs or circumstances dictate it as I said earlier.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.a10talk.com/2021-atlantic-1 ... sfer-list/

Here are the current totals:

Men’s Basketball outgoing transfers: 64
Men’s Basketball incoming transfers: 32

Women’s Basketball outgoing transfers: 39
Women’s Basketball incoming transfers: 18

List last updated May 9, 10:27AM
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago https://www.a10talk.com/2021-atlantic-1 ... sfer-list/

Here are the current totals:

Men’s Basketball outgoing transfers: 64
Men’s Basketball incoming transfers: 32

Women’s Basketball outgoing transfers: 39
Women’s Basketball incoming transfers: 18

List last updated May 9, 10:27AM
Double the losses vs. gains in the portal in the A10, hopefully they narrow the gap prior to the season. Maybe some of these teams will do well in their 2021 HS/prep recruitment to offset some of these losses.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Regardless, the staff will continue to pursue the best available young talent at the HS/prep ranks and keep those pipelines going, as they should.
They will still spend much of their time on the road recruiting, scheduling visits, and sending out offers for the most promising recruits.
The coaches will not just sit back and take their chances on who may be available in the portal, unless our needs or circumstances dictate it as I said earlier.
Last March I sitting at a game with a few of the URI coaches watching Tres Berry. A URI Assistant Coach said to me that the recruiting of HS/prep players has changed going forward and the recruiting focus will shift to transfers for the following years. It sounded like a change in recruiting strategy to me.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago

Last March I sitting at a game with a few of the URI coaches watching Tres Berry. A URI Assistant Coach said to me that the recruiting of HS/prep players has changed going forward and the recruiting focus will shift to transfers for the following years. It sounded like a change in recruiting strategy to me.
I am sure all the coaches are frustrated at the amount of transfers and yes because of those numbers the portal has been very active.
As I said the extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic will make the next several years more difficult to recruit, not knowing how many open scholarships will be available.
However, I will be very surprised if our long-term recruiting emphasis will rely on the portal, unless the situation dictates. IMO
According to 247 sports we have offered 18 recruits for 2022, and of course have 1 commit.

Look at some of the top teams in the A10 for freshman recruits 2021:
VCU - 4 commits
Dayton - 4 commits
Richmond - 3 commits
Bonnies - 2 commits, and expecting 1 more shortly (Anouar Mellouk)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

It would seem the thin veil of these being "student-athletes" is once and for all being ripped away.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

"Be true to your school" seems like such a quaint notion nowadays
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Imagine him at Bryant?

LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Thinking Jarod Grasso is the only one to take Tony on too?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeez how did Bryant get on that list ?? I do not like their chances
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tre Mitchell's mom was recently selling UMass athletic gear in multiple sizes on the internet. Would assume these would have been given to son Tre and boyfriend/ex UMass Coach Tony Bergeron.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Tre Mitchell's mom was recently selling UMass athletic gear in multiple sizes on the internet. Would assume these would have been given to son Tre and boyfriend/ex UMass Coach Tony Bergeron.
Yes, and? If we're going to start busting programs and players over free t-shirts and gear given out, then pretty much everyone is fucked.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Tre Mitchell's mom was recently selling UMass athletic gear in multiple sizes on the internet. Would assume these would have been given to son Tre and boyfriend/ex UMass Coach Tony Bergeron.
Yes, and? If we're going to start busting programs and players over free t-shirts and gear given out, then pretty much everyone is fucked.
I had no issue in their household having the gear. I just thought it was amusing that she was selling it so publicly out on the internet. Kind of tells you how quickly they have put UMass in their past when they don't even want to wear the gear anymore.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
I had no issue in their household having the gear. I just thought it was amusing that she was selling it so publicly out on the internet. Kind of tells you how quickly they have put UMass in their past when they don't even want to wear the gear anymore.

Players sell their collegiate gear the second they leave/graduate the school on the website “The Players Trunk.”

If her son transferred, her bf got fired/left UMass, why keep the gear? I’d make a quick buck too.
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I think that’s as cheesy as her creepy boyfriend, sorry!
Last edited by LoveThoseRams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago I think that’s as cheesy as her creepy boyfriend, sorry!
Selling game used college gear when hundreds of former athletes do is cheesy? Not even remotely close.

The NCAA has been using these athletes for years, selling their gear is the only (current) way to make money from their playing days.

https://theplayerstrunk.com/
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

There are a lot of strings being pulled behind the scenes to get Bryant on that list. They are not a serious player for Mitchell, and they know that.
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

We have a Michael Tertsea sighting. Just transferred to Siena
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
I’m always wrong when I guess a player’s new school, but here goes. I say Florida State. Good spot for forwards and centers recently.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

RIrugger01 wrote: 3 years ago We have a Michael Tertsea sighting. Just transferred to Siena
He must be at least 25 years old by now
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
I’m always wrong when I guess a player’s new school, but here goes. I say Florida State. Good spot for forwards and centers recently.
Looking at that list and singing, "One of these things is not like the others ..."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
RIrugger01 wrote: 3 years ago We have a Michael Tertsea sighting. Just transferred to Siena
He must be at least 25 years old by now
Dana Tate probably put in a good word for him. (Joking.)
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I’m going with Tre Mitchell to LSU. Will Wade and Bergeron will figure out the money.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jeff Goodman thinking Tre's landing spot may be Georgia see below:

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UGA message board....like the thinking

LoganB77
Posted on 11 mins, , User Since 17 months ago, User Post Count: 273

BuckheadDawg808 said... (original post) I think Mitchell is worth us going after. The assistant coach not so much.

Hire Mitchell's dog if it means acquiring a player in Mitchell that is immediately your best player
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Mitchell to Georgia seems like UMass 2.0. Once again, Mitchell would be trying to save the ass of a head coach all in the interests of Tony B securing the bag.

I'm definitely not counting LSU out in this, Will Wade and Tony B are a match made in sleaze heaven.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Can’t keep anybody happy these days
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wonder how Kansas feels about that “commitment”.
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago

I think they'll be fine with it. It's like when Fatts went through it before last season. He'll get feedback on things to improve upon then head to KU and try and show he followed the NBA scouts' advice.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

I think they'll be fine with it. It's like when Fatts went through it before last season. He'll get feedback on things to improve upon then head to KU and try and show he followed the NBA scouts' advice.
I agree, Kansas shouldn't have an issue with it, they were aware of his situation prior to accepting his commitment.
He has until the July 19 deadline to withdraw from the draft.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Jayden Epps of Providence college has entered the portal two years before he gets there.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

QUACK
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Jayden Epps of Providence college has entered the portal two years before he gets there.
#WHODUCKIN
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Jayden Epps of Providence college has entered the portal two years before he gets there.
#WHODUCKIN
Cooley said he couldn't fit URI into the schedule
Then he scheduled FDU for Saturday after canceling the URI game scheduled for Friday night
Then he said PC didn't need the URI game and the road to the NCAA Tournament did not run through Kingston RI

PC went on to go 13-13 on the season and 9-10 in Big East. He lost the 1st game of the BE Tournament to 11th Seed DePaul (BE version of Fordham) - a season worse than mediocre.

Then at the end of the season Greg Gantt, Kris Monroe, Jimmy Nichols and Jyare Davis transferred out plus David Duke left early.

He is still driving the road that doesn't run through Kingston

Coach for Life!! URI fans are fortunate to have Cooley as HC of PC.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

#WHODUCKIN
Then he scheduled FDU for Saturday after canceling the URI game scheduled for Friday night
Then he said PC didn't need the URI game and the road to the NCAA Tournament did not run through Kingston RI

PC went on to go 13-13 on the season and 9-10 in Big East. He lost the 1st game of the BE Tournament to 11th Seed DePaul (BE version of Fordham) - a season worse than mediocre.

Then at the end of the season Greg Gantt, Kris Monroe, Jimmy Nichols and Jyare Davis transferred out plus David Duke left early.

Yes they did lose some key pieces and depth this year.
PC's move last year in cancelling our game was classless and Cooley's remarks were very insulting to URI.
As I stated many tines, I will always root against them.
With all that being said, Watson and Horchler returning was huge for them
It looks like both their grad transfers forward Justin Minaya (South Carolina), and guard Al Durham (Indiana) have a good chance of starting this season.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Jeff Goodman thinking Tre's landing spot may be Georgia see below:

It's pretty funny that it's right in the open how much Bergeron is riding Mitchell's coattails. It's one thing for a rival fan base to talk about, but for a national writer to put out there is really something
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dana Tate will be joining Norfolk State. Hopefully he makes the most of this chance

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/coll ... story.html
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

#WHODUCKIN

Yep...I cant wait to have the Mitchell Twins (who by the way coined the phrase #WhoDuckin) show Cooley #WhoDUNKIN at the Dunk
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

I agree, Kansas shouldn't have an issue with it, they were aware of his situation prior to accepting his commitment.
He has until the July 19 deadline to withdraw from the draft.

He sure looked ready for the NBA when he played against us!!!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A.J. Bramah decommits from Arizona State
The Bonnies were also a finalist.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another interesting result of the new transfer rule.

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The "good old days" of URI BB, as infrequent as they were, may become our only memories of success going forward, sad to say.

There will always be a few mid majors who will flourish [at least occasionally] in the future, but that number will continue to diminish...and we may never be one of them again.

Getting the "right" coach will never be more important. Even of it's only temporary, that's what we have to hope for.

And we CERTAINLY don't have that coach here right now.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Another interesting result of the new transfer rule.

I can’t see that to be true at all.

Big time pay days and at large resume games are gonna be thrown out because of the possibility of a kid transferring that that big time program? I don’t buy it.
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The "good old days" of URI BB, as infrequent as they were, may become our only memories of success going forward, sad to say.

There will always be a few mid majors who will flourish [at least occasionally] in the future, but that number will continue to diminish...and we may never be one of them again.

Getting the "right" coach will never be more important. Even of it's only temporary, that's what we have to hope for.

And we CERTAINLY don't have that coach here right now.
Is the sky falling? I thought the sky already fell? I'm having trouble keeping up with all these dooms day scenarios!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Another interesting result of the new transfer rule.

A good example, Billyboy, was when Northeastern and North Carolina scheduled a game in February, 2021 top be played on February 17th.
It was to fill a scheduling gap and enabled Northeastern to play a tough team heading into NCAA Tournament Selection.

Northeastern lost 62-82 but Tyson Walker, a Sophomore, had himself a game.
35 minutes
27 points out of a team total 62
8-15 FG, 4-7 3FG, 7-9 FT, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 steals. I remember thinking at the time that effort might not be good for Northeastern Basketball.

Walker entered the portal and selected Michigan State having narrowed to Maryland, Texas, Kansas, Vanderbilt and Miami,

Wonder if Bill Coen would have scheduled that game again knowing what happened with his best player.

Walker averaged 28.8 mpg, 44.4% FG, 35.4% 3FG, 77.2% FT but that effort vs UNC had to have opened eyes.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a mess. Worst move in NCAA history. This will snowball until the transfer decision is reversed.
GO RAMS