PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Recruiters can use this against Cooley. “Why play for PC and Ed Cooley who was afraid to play URI? We will never drop an in-state rivalry game so come here”.
Yeah, that is not happening LOL

Some of your criticisms are fair. That one, that doesn't hit the mark...
I know for a fact that PC and URI players were very disappointed that this game was not played. Cancelling the game was not good for Rhode Island Basketball. I have seen Coaches make bad decisions over my lifetime but never a decision as bad, selfish and rotten as that one. He gets defended by local media saying "PC doesn't need the URI Game" but that's just garbage.

On top of that the Big East turns down NIT Invitations - St. John's, Seton Hall and Xavier turned down NIT Bids. What a conceited conference. I'd use that in my recruiting spiel as well. John Chaney was play anyone, anytime, anywhere. He would wonder what BE Commissioner Val A. is thinking.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

You are more than welcome to do that, I just don't think it's worth anything -- recruits are looking to go play in the NCAA, not the NIT. A coach can sit there and easily say - "Our goal is NCAA or bust. We were not going to lock our players up in hotels in Frisco, Texas for potentially multiple weeks for a meaningless tournament." So if you think sitting there going "See, we were invited to the NIT and we went a played" is making a difference for a recruit, that is your opinion. I just don't agree with it at all.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t even get why this convo is continuing. It was a chicken shit move 4 months ago, it’s over. Let this thread die or you literally are feeding the narrative that some Rhody fans obsess on PC. This guy doesn’t and neither should anyone at this point; they are a rival and 1 time a year makes for great drama. Nothing more than that.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Who cares. Ed has become their CFL. I have spoken to many people about him and they all say the same thing we cant get rid of him now we owe him too much money. Worst thing that happened to the PC fans was Cooley flirting with the Michigan job that got him the big extension. Sound familiar.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Recruiters can use this against Cooley. “Why play for PC and Ed Cooley who was afraid to play URI? We will never drop an in-state rivalry game so come here”.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Saying coaches are going to use this cancellation against PC is laughable. That wouldn't even be brought up. Big time reach with that comment.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Saying coaches are going to use this cancellation against PC is laughable. That wouldn't even be brought up. Big time reach with that comment.
That's your opinion Friar15. Not surprising
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

I can be a Rhody fan and also be logical and reasonable in my comments and opinions.

Unlike you and many others, I don't always looks at things through Keaney Blue blinders and sound totally bias in my posts.

Imagine Hurley or Jay Wright going to a kid "You don't want to go to PC, they cancelled the URI game, Cooley is afraid of them, come to UConn / Villanova."

Come the hell on.

Not one coach is going to use that line.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I can be a Rhody fan and also be logical and reasonable in my comments and opinions.

Unlike you and many others, I don't always looks at things through Keaney Blue blinders and sound totally bias in my posts.

Imagine Hurley or Jay Wright going to a kid "You don't want to go to PC, they cancelled the URI game, Cooley is afraid of them, come to UConn / Villanova."

Come the hell on.

Friar15,
If you think Cooley canceling the URI game, PLUS being dishonest about the reason for cancelling the game didn't hurt him, his players, his school, his fans, the URI players, the school, their fans then fine, believe what you want. It was a bad decision, looking even worse when your team finished a paltry (13-13). "The road to the NCAA does not run through Kingston RI" HA HA.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Come the hell on.

Friar15,
If you think Cooley canceling the URI game, PLUS being dishonest about the reason for cancelling the game didn't hurt him, his players, his school, his fans, the URI players, the school, their fans then fine, believe what you want. It was a bad decision, looking even worse when your team finished a paltry (13-13). "The road to the NCAA does not run through Kingston RI" HA HA.

Yes, I totally agree with you that it was a terrible decision, and looks even worse when he/the school lied about the reason why.

They think their program is a blue blood and a premier program in the country, and obviously they are not.

We both agree on that.

I just don't see other Big East coaches using this cancellation as a recruiting tactic when they can use so much more against PC (tiny school, their offense, recent regular season record, lack of tourney success).
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

This thread lives on - WHY???
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Come the hell on.

Friar15,

Yes, I totally agree with you that it was a terrible decision, and looks even worse when he/the school lied about the reason why.

They think their program is a blue blood and a premier program in the country, and obviously they are not.

We both agree on that.

I just don't see other Big East coaches using this cancellation as a recruiting tactic when they can use so much more against PC (tiny school, their offense, recent regular season record, lack of tourney success).
Recruiters use a lot of tactics. Anything they think can sway a recruit.

No way would Cooley cancelling this game be the only tactic, just one of many.

Biggest would be the decline of the BE and the rise of the P5’s

Note the decline of 1,2,3,4 seeds the past couple of years. Best BE has done is a 5 seed since 2018.

BE was dependent on Villanova and Xavier for 1,2,3,4 seeds. Both schools have lost ground in past 3 years.

While PC had 5 years of Bids, the last two NCAA Tournaments have been bidless. Plus their previous bids were mostly late rounds, barely getting in.

Let Cooley cancel a big rivalry game like he did and lie about his reason, let the BE be so high and mighty as to have 3 teams turn down NIT Bids.

That conference is slipping. Would have had only 3 bids if not for the Georgetown surprise wins this year.

65C74C02-55A2-40B8-8000-962C0D335E3D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The problem with that chart is it's definitely manipulated to fill a narrative... Yes, the tournament did not happen last year, but that doesn't eliminate the results from last season when the Big East was having an all-timer type of season ... So if you simply say "Tournament didn't happen so those results don't count," it's a completely bogus and disingenuous argument. You obviously don't get tournament wins/losses for games that didn't happen, but the Big East was pretty solidly in the camp of having at least 3 Top 3 seed teams last year (Villanova, Creighton, and Seton Hall) with Butler also looking at a Top 5 seed. Conference as a whole was a 6 bid conference with all 6 bids looking like Top 9 seeds (I.E - no true bubble teams at risk during conference tournaments). So of course if you eliminate last season and shoot the arrow across, you can come up with "that conference is slipping." But here's my point ... In 2019 you did the same song and dance that "The Big East was slipping, they are going down, only 4 bids," and last year the Big East was the #1 conference in the country. You don't base trends off of one season. Big East has consistently been a Top 4 conference in the country. Some years will be better than others. No doubt. This was not a good year. Let's see how the conference bounces back next season ... If it's down again next year, argument starts to have a little more merit.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2019 and 2021 were both only 4 bid years for the Big East. 2021 could have easily been 3 bids. The BE Tournament Winner got a 12-seed.
The highest seed for the BE in both years was a 5.

I did not count 2020 because there was no tournament and no invitations given - that is correct. NCAA Bids for 2020 do not exist in any record books.

I'd be disappointed if my team turned down a NIT Bid this year. I wish we had one believe me.

But I'll never understand turning down the NIT in any year.

Not everyone on KB would agree on that. I wouldn't turn down the CBI either. But NIT? With all games in one Bubble area in North Texas?

To each his own.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I did not count 2020 because there was no tournament and no invitations given - that is correct. NCAA Bids for 2020 do not exist in any record books.
No formal seeding was announced but the season was 97% over. Just because no formal seeds were given means the games played don't count, that the Top 25 rankings don't matter, etc.

You are using seeding to judge how teams performed during other seasons, and I believe it's absolutely unfair to make it seem like last year didn't exist just because seeding wasn't formally announced. Big East likely had 2 2-seeds and 1 3-seed last year (per Bracket Matrix).Even if they all fell one seed line, it absolutely blows apart your narrative about slipping over multiple seasons, which is why you didn't even try to quantify it.

The Big East had a dominant 2020 regular season. That's a fact. That's not giving them credit for tournament performance. But it is saying they had some damn good teams, which they did. #1 in the country and the best regular season the new Big East has had.

Will be hard to replicate, but they did it after 2019 when you said they were slipping the first time, they could do it again.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is accurate but the season still happened, so the games played still count, just like the Top 25 rankings still count, and you can still use projections to see how a conference did (which is why KenPom lists BracketMatrix on his website for 2020) to assess how a conference performed and how teams performed. You are using seeding to judge how teams performed during other seasons, and I believe it's absolutely unfair to make it seem like last year didn't exist just because seeding wasn't formally announced. Big East likely had 2 2-seeds and 1 3-seed last year. Even if they all fell one seed line, it absolutely blows apart your narrative about slipping over multiple seasons, which is why you didn't even try to quantify it.

I give "locks" credit for a bid, but would never give teams credit for wins/losses because games were never played. So if you are going to boldly proclaim a trend, that a conference is performing at a certain level, to simply omit a season because no formal bids were given, I'm sorry I'm going to call that disingenuous. The Big East had a dominant 2020 regular season. That's a fact. That's not giving them credit for tournament performance. But it is saying they had some damn good teams, which they did. #1 in the country and the best regular season the new Big East has had. Will be hard to replicate, but they did it after 2019 when you said they were slipping, they could do it again.
OK,

So the sites where I retrieved the data have nothing for 2020 either. There are no records. But I will add it in and guess what bids the Big East would have had. The Post Season BE Tournament was not held.

So maybe my narrative becomes the BE has slipped in 2 of the last 3 years. 2020 they had a great year.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I'll help you out -- it's super convenient since KenPom does think it's important and for 2020 does include all BracketMatrix projections on his page ...
Creighton - 2 seed
Villanova - 2 seed
Seton Hall - 3 seed
Butler - 5 seed
Providence - 8 seed
Marquette - 9 seed
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I'll help you out -- it's super convenient since KenPom does think it's important and for 2020 does include all BracketMatrix projections on his page ...
Creighton - 2 seed
Villanova - 2 seed
Seton Hall - 3 seed
Butler - 5 seed
Providence - 8 seed
Marquette - 9 seed
Just finished. From Jerry Palm. In fact he has 7 BE Teams with UCONN not included of course. Palm has Xavier in.

Huge drop off from 2020 to 2021. Was 2020 the norm or are 2019 and 2021 the norm?

Or somewhere in between.

699B95B8-B42B-4FA4-AF60-B218D221B52B.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If you think things get bad here, read this thread from the #whoducken board.
Not pretty when the team doesn’t make the Dance and the Head Coach loses fan support.
Plus trolls stir things up During times like these making life tough for the loyal fans.....

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 2/?page=15
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I'll help you out -- it's super convenient since KenPom does think it's important and for 2020 does include all BracketMatrix projections on his page ...
Creighton - 2 seed
Villanova - 2 seed
Seton Hall - 3 seed
Butler - 5 seed
Providence - 8 seed
Marquette - 9 seed
Just finished. From Jerry Palm. In fact he has 7 BE Teams with UCONN not included of course. Palm has Xavier in.

Huge drop off from 2020 to 2021. Was 2020 the norm or are 2019 and 2021 the norm?

Or somewhere in between.

For what it is worth

Conference comparisons Big East vs. A10, 2011-2019, NCAAT Bids:

Big East - 60 bids, avg. seed- 6.05, #1 seeds -7, #2 seeds- 5
A10 - 32 bids, avg. seed - 8.69, #1 seeds - 0, #2 seeds - 0

Top 4 conference rankings from 2011-2019 with most NCAAT Bids
1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Creighton - 2 seed
Villanova - 2 seed
Seton Hall - 3 seed
Butler - 5 seed
Providence - 8 seed
Marquette - 9 seed

Or somewhere in between.

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56

Shhh Jersey77, Ramster doesn't like logical and reasonable posts.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Or somewhere in between.

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56

I like Ramster, he works hard on this board. Didn't want to get in the middle of it, but Blueram came at me pretty hard on another thread comparing the 2 conferences.

I love the A10 and would love to see it be considered a high major someday, but they still have a lot of work to do.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Creighton - 2 seed
Villanova - 2 seed
Seton Hall - 3 seed
Butler - 5 seed
Providence - 8 seed
Marquette - 9 seed

Or somewhere in between.

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56
FW
I’m not comparing to A10, I know the A10 is slipping. My data is BE only. It’s BE Comparison to P5’s as losing ground. RJ made the point I omitted 2020 so I added it.

Draw your own conclusions.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or somewhere in between.

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56

Friar15,
Why don’t you go to Jermaine Harris’ 10 page thread that got locked, or the 2nd Jermaine Harris 10 page thread Or Jermaine’s recruiting thread all 3 of which you destroyed the guy.

My point here is comparing the Big East past to present. NOT to the A10.
My point is the BE is slipping. I know it hurts you being a PC fan on a URI board.

So no need to use shhhhh.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Or somewhere in between.

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56
FWIW
I’m not comparing to A10, I know the A10 is slipping. It’s BE Comparison to P5’s.
Over the last 10 years the BE with its changes and reorganization has held up well.
This year was down for them along with several other conferences,
The Big 10 was amazingly good and balanced and it will be very difficult for some of the smaller and private colleges to keep up with the money these big schools generate.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56
FWIW
I’m not comparing to A10, I know the A10 is slipping. It’s BE Comparison to P5’s.
Over the last 10 years the BE with its changes and reorganization has held up well.
The Big 10 was amazingly good and balanced and it will be very difficult for some of the smaller and private colleges to keep up with the money these big schools generate.
AND 2019 was down with 4 teams and no team better than a 5 seed.

Just data. Draw your own conclusions. Feel free to visit Friar15’s board to see how His fellow fans are feeling.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

FWIW
AND 2019 was down with 4 teams and no team better than a 5 seed.

Just data. Draw your own conclusions. Feel free to visit Friar15’s board to see how His fellow fans are feeling.
Maybe with the parity today some of the mid-majors will catch up with the BE, I hope so
As I said the P5 schools will always have an advantage with all the revenue they generate, especially the cash cow of the B10.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’ll add that many PC fans felt the URI game should have been played, stated so on the PC Board, Even our old friend Seanmc. But some will defend PC on most all fronts.

I said many years ago I’d take Hurley over Cooley, caught lots of grief at the time. No brainer today Hurley vs PC’s CFL.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago I’ll add that many PC fans felt the URI game should have been played, stated so on the PC Board, Even our old friend Seanmc. But some will defend PC on most all fronts.

I said many years ago I’d take Hurley over Cooley, caught lots of grief at the time. No brainer today Hurley vs PC’s CFL.
As I said many times, I can never get over the fact that PC refused to play us this year, I will always root against them.
As bad as that move was, Cooley's explanation was worse, I hated the arrogant tone of it.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56

Friar15,
Why don’t you go to Jermaine Harris’ 10 page thread that got locked, or the 2nd Jermaine Harris 10 page thread Or Jermaine’s recruiting thread all 3 of which you destroyed the guy.

My point here is comparing the Big East past to present. NOT to the A10.
My point is the BE is slipping. I know it hurts you being a PC fan on a URI board.

So no need to use shhhhh.

People didn’t agree with me then when I was saying he was terrible and not productive, and I was fine with that, because I knew I was right all along.

This year, people finally started to come around to my side.

Yes I fully admit I was way harsh on the kid, but knew what I was saying was correct.
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

This JH talk continues to grind my gears!

What grown man takes comfort or credit for spending years berating a college student who did not meet his expectations while playing through multiple injuries...and gloats years later that "he knew what he was saying was correct?" Who the F cares that you were right? Give this guy a medal! Big deal, get over your righteous self and leave JH alone...it getting, or it GOT, old.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Creighton - 2 seed
Villanova - 2 seed
Seton Hall - 3 seed
Butler - 5 seed
Providence - 8 seed
Marquette - 9 seed

Or somewhere in between.

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56
I think the more realistic comparison starts in 2013 - the first year after the old Big East split into the NBE and ACC. What's the bid comparison there? The A10 definitely had a good first few years of it, then have slowed down lately. I know you are not comparing the A10 and the NBE, but the BE in the first two years of your comparison is significantly different than from 2013 and on.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

Or somewhere in between.

For what it is worth

1. BE - 60
2. B10 - 59
3. ACC - 57
4. Big 12 - 56
I think the more realistic comparison starts in 2013 - the first year after the old Big East split into the NBE and ACC. What's the bid comparison there? The A10 definitely had a good first few years of it, then have slowed down lately. I know you are not comparing the A10 and the NBE, but the BE in the first two years of your comparison is significantly different than from 2013 and on.
Here you go, I split before and after BE realignment:

BE (since 2014) -32 bids, avg. seed - 6.50, #1 seeds - 4, #2 seeds - 3
BE (2011-2013) - 28 bids, avg. seed - 5.54, #1 seeds - 3, #2 seeds - 2
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago This JH talk continues to grind my gears!

What grown man takes comfort or credit for spending years berating a college student who did not meet his expectations while playing through multiple injuries...and gloats years later that "he knew what he was saying was correct?" Who the F cares that you were right? Give this guy a medal! Big deal, get over your righteous self and leave JH alone...it getting, or it GOT, old.
Didn’t bring him up here, Ramster came at me with it with zero rhyme or reason, so I responded.
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 2019 and 2021 were both only 4 bid years for the Big East. 2021 could have easily been 3 bids. The BE Tournament Winner got a 12-seed.
The highest seed for the BE in both years was a 5.

I'd be disappointed if my team turned down a NIT Bid this year. I wish we had one believe me.

But I'll never understand turning down the NIT in any year.

Not everyone on KB would agree on that. I wouldn't turn down the CBI either. But NIT? With all games in one Bubble area in North Texas?

To each his own.
I’m not going to hammer any school for passing on an NIT invitation this year. With all the protocols, pauses, quarantine, testing, etc players had to go through, it might be better for some players’ mental health to have a break from the game than to play in a meaningless tournament and go through more testing and quarantining. Probably better for them to go home for a while and visit with family, which many teams couldn’t do over the holidays.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Helps too if the two teams are not playing below .500 with frustrated fan bases on the direction of their teams

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Got a laugh this week when I received an email from Providence College Athletics. It featured its upcoming home game with URI and promoted guaranteeing tickets to it by buying a season ticket package.

PC Email.png
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I hear ticket sales are down in comparison to non-COVID seasons so the aggressive marketing makes sense.

PC and URI are both in comparable spots having lost much momentum from 2018 and trying to figure out ways to recapture that.

Sure both are seeing similar dips in ticket revenues from fans who don’t want to commit given the package from last season. Don’t think it’s a drastic dip from 2019-2020 to 2021-2022 but I bet it’s enough to be noticeable.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Got a laugh this week when I received an email from Providence College Athletics. It featured its upcoming home game with URI and promoted guaranteeing tickets to it by buying a season ticket package.

PC Email.png
Funny since a vocal group of PC fans always say the annual URI game doesn't matter. I guess PC marketing thinks otherwise.