Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Unless the schools submit a very strong case, I think the NCAA will be strict on approving the waivers.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago Unless the schools submit a very strong case, I think the NCAA will be strict on approving the waivers.
I’d bet money that the NCAA will contort and distort its own regulations — on a (ahem) case-by-case basis, of course — to treat the Cartel differently than the riffraff.

Just as we’ve seen with enforcement, the NCAA seems to have two interpretations of every rule. Tell me what would happen if Dave Cox tried to get away with the same stuff that Bill Self or Roy Williams or Mike Krzyszewski have pulled.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ah yes, the weekly "The NCAA is dirty" conspiracy hour. I love the board this time of year.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Ah yes, the weekly "The NCAA is dirty" conspiracy hour. I love the board this time of year.
In the immortal words of Jack Nicholson:

Some people can't handle the truth. [the NCAA is rigged to favor certain members]
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI Red, have you EVER had a post that isn't complaining calling the NCAA the "cartel?"

You sound like a immature teenager whining every time you post about it.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago RI Red, have you EVER had a post that isn't complaining calling the NCAA the "cartel?"

Red is a seasoned veteran that speaks from what he has seen. He is not naive to the real truth like many of our young members whose views are shaped by very little experience.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago RI Red, have you EVER had a post that isn't complaining calling the NCAA the "cartel?"

Lighten up Francis.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

Red is a seasoned veteran that speaks from what he has seen. He is not naive to the real truth like many of our young members whose views are shaped by very little experience.
It's still pretty tedious to read. I'll never block posters because I think that's a bit extreme, but along with some other poster with subjects, it get extremely redundant to flood multiple threads with the same subject matter over and over again.
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Red forgot more about the URI - PC rivalry than most of us will ever know.

Not to mention, drunk PC students urinating and taking a dump on your lawn on their way back to their dorms will tend to leave a lasting, life long impression that ain't going to go away.

But he's not even talking about that, he's just talking about Dave Gavitt, who literally tried to murder URI basketball in cold blood and deserves every ounce of criticism Red can dish out.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Plus, I think sometimes he also talks about how horrible PC is?
eta: missed 3K post above...
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Plus, I think sometimes he also talks about how horrible PC is?
eta: missed 3K post above...
We all can agree PC is horrible on so many levels.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

1978 Rhody was King of the North (East)

Dethroned by evil but never completely eradicated...

Fact, go look it up.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Getting off topic here.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Reading comprehension much? The Cartel — what some benignly call “Power Five” — is merely the tail that wags the NCAA dog.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago

Reading comprehension much? The Cartel — what some benignly call “Power Five” — is merely the tail that wags the NCAA dog.
So then why call it the cartel when we’re talking about UCONN who’s in the Big East aka a conference many on this board thinks is massively overrated?
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Again — remedial reading, here. Show me where I’ve included either the Storrs Leg-humpers or the Bigheaded East in the Cartel.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Can we merge this with his thread in the transfer forum so it can f’n DIE!!!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Seeing this thread title at the top of our message board (I'm only responding since it is already up top) is fucking ridiculous. Full stop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Seeing this thread title at the top of our message board (I'm only responding since it is already up top) is fucking ridiculous. Full stop.
This thread should be moved to All Other College Sports Section just like the All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD was moved from NCAAs or Bust! years ago.

It has nothing to do now with NCAAs or Bust! Anymore.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Or the Former Player thread......which is what he is.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yep. Either place, just not here.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Mods, PLEASE.

Thank you.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes good riddance I want it gone
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This is kinda like, when everyone in the company gets an email because someone used a huge distribution list....and everyone starts replying all to 'remove me from this distribution' and others start replying all...to tell people not to reply all. This may never end...
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I don't if this is the place to post it, but the practice facility has come up here. For those who haven't had the chance to see, Thor has expressed to the Board of Trustees that the practice facility is #1 priority.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Seeing this thread title at the top of our message board (I'm only responding since it is already up top) is fucking ridiculous. Full stop.
THIS!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

For the love of GOD! Mods please move this!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago For the love of GOD! Mods please move this!
bump
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bump
The description for this forum is: "Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop." So, stop responding, and it'll go down the list. I'm not sure who moved the Hurley thread into "Other College Sports," but I probably would have kept it in here. If you don't want to read about Tyrese Martin or UConn, my suggestion would be to not click on the topic, but to me how he does at the school - positive or negative or neutral - is clearly going to be interesting to people posting here.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Now he’s just somebody that we used to know...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know why the Hurley thread was moved either, I think probably ATP just got sick of people whining. Unfortunately I’m not ATP and so if I think the whining is dumb I’m happy to ignore it. Stop worrying about what subpart of the board a thread is in. If we think something is clearly out of place and needs to be moved, we’ll move it - i.e., if this thread were about professional lacrosse we would get it out of the hoops part of the board. Nothing is more annoying than people weighing in on what part of the board a particular thread is in or that a thread should be closed because they don’t like the topic or the discussion happening within it.

If you don’t want to read something, don’t read and definitely don’t post in it because that just furthers the amount of time it shows up on the first page. If nobody is interested in a topic, it will go away - it isn’t like we’ve pinned this thread to the top of a page.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I suggested closing a topic recently because I posted something considered political, and we were warned to keep politics off this board per the rules...so I followed that rule....

...However the tenor of the posts in that topic continue to be political....and I feel that it should be closed if posters continue in that vein....

....I don't mind when topics get hijacked from the main theme because that's how things go..... but if we have rules we should follow them
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago I suggested closing a topic recently because I posted something considered political, and we were warned to keep politics off this board per the rules...so I followed that rule....

...However the tenor of the posts in that topic continue to be political....and I feel that it should be closed if posters continue in that vein....

....I don't mind when topics get hijacked from the main theme because that's how things go..... but if we have rules we should follow them
I think posters need clarity on politics. I have always been under the impression politics were not allowed at all. I recall this subject back when Rod was with us.

Are politics allowed or not?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’ve already extended my opinion of kudos to our mods for letting covid19 thread run essentially unmoderated.

Again, clearly it breaks all forum rules but it allows posters to air out their frustrations.

Or just don’t click on it. Don’t have to click on Tyrese either. Sometimes I do sometimes I don’t...

B safe Rhody fans.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We’re getting off-topic here but in general where politics and sports intersect there is going to be a little more leeway. We aren’t going to have a 2020 election thread, which is what essentially led to the no politics rule four years ago.

I hate to even go here but the whole idea that a thread about the impact of a pandemic on sports could be political in the first place is a black eye on the state of affairs in this country generally. But accepting that there is a political component to it, my personal opinion is that we should err on the side of letting people discuss the situation in a larger context. Having said that, that’s only my opinion and so if ATP decides he doesn’t like the direction it’s going and wants to shut it down, it’s his board and his rules so I’m not going to complain.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Tacos or burritos?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Tacos or burritos?
A hot dog is a sandwich....change my mind.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Is it colder in February or New Hampshire?
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Is it colder in February or New Hampshire?
Jam or Jelly?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ok so this thread is done.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My hope is that Martin never gets his stones back.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

b-bump?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
bump
The description for this forum is: "Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop." So, stop responding, and it'll go down the list. I'm not sure who moved the Hurley thread into "Other College Sports," but I probably would have kept it in here. If you don't want to read about Tyrese Martin or UConn, my suggestion would be to not click on the topic, but to me how he does at the school - positive or negative or neutral - is clearly going to be interesting to people posting here.
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I don’t know why the Hurley thread was moved either, I think probably ATP just got sick of people whining. Unfortunately I’m not ATP and so if I think the whining is dumb I’m happy to ignore it. Stop worrying about what subpart of the board a thread is in. If we think something is clearly out of place and needs to be moved, we’ll move it - i.e., if this thread were about professional lacrosse we would get it out of the hoops part of the board. Nothing is more annoying than people weighing in on what part of the board a particular thread is in or that a thread should be closed because they don’t like the topic or the discussion happening within it.

If you don’t want to read something, don’t read and definitely don’t post in it because that just furthers the amount of time it shows up on the first page. If nobody is interested in a topic, it will go away - it isn’t like we’ve pinned this thread to the top of a page.

Go to Page 11 of the Hurley Thread that was moved and you will see ATP moved it. You can also see the context related to the decision to move to "All Other College Sports"

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7540&start=500
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

bump
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I don’t know why the Hurley thread was moved either, I think probably ATP just got sick of people whining. Unfortunately I’m not ATP and so if I think the whining is dumb I’m happy to ignore it. Stop worrying about what subpart of the board a thread is in. If we think something is clearly out of place and needs to be moved, we’ll move it - i.e., if this thread were about professional lacrosse we would get it out of the hoops part of the board. Nothing is more annoying than people weighing in on what part of the board a particular thread is in or that a thread should be closed because they don’t like the topic or the discussion happening within it.

Go to Page 11 of the Hurley Thread that was moved and you will see ATP moved it. You can also see the context related to the decision to move to "All Other College Sports"

I think it's more interesting here to read about how, when people ask to have it moved and people respond to that, it makes it pop back to the top again. If the thread is moved, you lose that conversation. I vote to keep it here. 8-)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago

I think it's more interesting here to read about how, when people ask to have it moved and people respond to that, it makes it pop back to the top again. If the thread is moved, you lose that conversation. I vote to keep it here. 8-)
You are right 208. When the thread gets moved back the hits become much less, but keep it on the “front page” and those who want it moved ironically keep it alive.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

At the risk of bumping this thread again...to the dismay of those that don't want to see it...why would UConn fans think Tyrese is getting a waiver? What possibly could be the reason for him requesting a waiver?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just that everyone’s getting a waiver now.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago At the risk of bumping this thread again...to the dismay of those that don't want to see it...why would UConn fans think Tyrese is getting a waiver? What possibly could be the reason for him requesting a waiver?
The NCAA, rumor has it, is allegedly approving the vast majority of waivers it has received this year, whether you want to attribute it to the freer transfer rules that'll be in place the next year, Covid19 ending the 2019-20 season prematurely, Covid19 effecting the start of the 2020-21 season, or Covid19 just screwing with things in general. URI got waivers for the Mitchell twins, although they only played half a season for Maryland, not a full season.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I stated it long ago that the NCAA would approve all waivers because of the coming rule change anyway. Let’s see what they do with Toppin who went further away from home. Have there been reports of kids who were denied?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How hard is Toppin or UK even going to push for a waiver? He might be better off sitting for a year (although the fact that he made the move in the first place indicates to me that he may not have a good grasp on what is best for his career in the first place).