The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
As a URI fan I’d like approved this year just because we would have 3 guys eligible
Thank you! That's all I wanted to hear. While you didn't explicitly say it, it's fairly obvious what you wanted when you go from being on a rampage about the rule and how bad it is for everyone not in the P-5 to ranting about how incompetent the NCAA is because they can't approve it fast enough that there is a self-serving interest there. It's not even wrong I just don't know why it took you a week to own it. You are allowed to not like a rule but want to take advantage of it if the opportunity presents itself.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
As a URI fan I’d like approved this year just because we would have 3 guys eligible
Thank you! That's all I wanted to hear. While you didn't explicitly say it, it's fairly obvious what you wanted when you go from being on a rampage about the rule and how bad it is for everyone not in the P-5 to ranting about how incompetent the NCAA is because they can't approve it fast enough that there is a self-serving interest there. It's not even wrong I just don't know why it took you a week to own it. You are allowed to not like a rule but want to take advantage of it if the opportunity presents itself.
The rule is going to continue to degrade the college basketball game. But it can’t be stopped because it’s not fair to let some sports transfer without penalty and others not. Plus the NCAA is inept in fairly approving/disapproving transfer requests. So it has to be simple and straightforward due to NCAA ineptness.

The college game is getting worse and worse.

This transfer situation is inevitable, but it’s bad for the game.

Wait til guys start transferring at mid year and playing for different teams in the same conference.

And the 1 time transfer will not stand up in court ultimately because they don’t limit to 1 for other sports. Still not fair across the board. But time to move on.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't like the new proposal......even if we need it this year....

The long term affect will lead to non P5 teams losing better players to other conferences...becoming feeder programs to the big guys....

We can assume that tampering will go on behind the scenes with no smoking guns that implicate coaches at these big schools....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not sure if the no sit out rule would apply to within a conference.

Currently at 2 years, would it be reduced to one or not at all?

Haven't heard anything specific about that yet.

Talk about chaos if no restrictions.....good grief.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You can already see and feel the effect of transfer without sitting out and it’s not even in place yet
And how do define tampering?
Who will enforce the “rules” of tampering?
No phone calls? Tweets? Emails? FaceTime? Say hi on the streets? Christmas cards? Let this craziness and poaching begin - on the coach’s And the players sides.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, it would be a total free-for-all.

And we would be on the short end of it more often than not.

Anyway, no matter what happens with the transfer rule, more and more people are saying next season only has a 50-50 chance of even happening at this point.

Only 4+ months to the start of fall semester.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You will never control tampering. Impossible. I’m not even sure how this tampering prevention is even legal. What you can say, can’t say......
It will be a free for all, already is close to that.
I predict that the 1 time transfer won’t last. Guy transfers, uses up his “free transfer” then a year later grandfather sivpck so gets a waiver, or HC Changes he gets a waiver, etc.
will eventually get to no limit on transfers. Lawyers will get involved, as they are now, and say player should be free to transfer unlimited just like all students can. Why penalize me just because I play football or basketball?

The college game is going downhill fast.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago You will never control tampering. Impossible. I’m not even sure how this tampering prevention is even legal. What you can say, can’t say......
It will be a free for all, already is close to that.
I predict that the 1 time transfer won’t last. Guy transfers, uses up his “free transfer” then a year later grandfather sivpck so gets a waiver, or HC Changes he gets a waiver, etc.
will eventually get to no limit on transfers. Lawyers will get involved, as they are now, and say player should be free to transfer unlimited just like all students can. Why penalize me just because I play football or basketball?

The college game is going downhill fast.
Money talks...and when the virus's effect on many schools finances come home to roost, the difference between the haves and have nots will increase even more.

The P5's want their own tourney just like football. Eventually they will get it.

It will be basketball's version of FBS and FCS. And we will be FCS.

Hey we could compete for championship of the little guys....ugh

I will always be a URI fan though, no matter what happens.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I agree with you guys on this one in terms of the rule and my feelings on it, but I think it's important to remember that:

1) This rule is to give certain sports the chance to give it's athletes a similar experience to athletes of other sports
2) This rule is coming largely because of the NIL push last year

While this rule was initiated and seconded by certain P5 conferences, I think you would actually find that many schools don't support the rule (Kentucky, UNC, Louisville, Notre Dame are among schools for basketball, seen Alabama and Penn St. for football). I've even seen quotes from the Ohio St. AD basically saying "I don't necessarily like the rule but that's where we are headed so we have to figure out how to make it work."

That's why I push back when people claim this is a P5-driven agenda. The formal proposal may have been initiated by certain P5 conferences, but they'd honestly love to keep the rules the way they are because they know they will also be affected. They just know it's never going to happen and someone had to put a proposal forward.

I think the biggest difference is that the grad transfer will almost disappear (since most grad transfers are players who transferred and sat a year), and will be replaced by the 4th year senior who wants a 1-year shot at something different.

Under the current system, there were hundreds of guys at lower levels who'd play 2 years and transfer up to a better school. That number might increase, but I don't think it's going to be some drastic situation. If we have 900 transfers in a normal year, are there now 1,100? Maybe. I don't think free movement equates to 1,500 or 2,000 transfers a year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RJ, just like the virus, there are a lot of things we just don't know yet.

But with the new rule, it will be like having a virtually unlimited player buffet, if you will.

I agree about the grad transfer becoming a thing of the past.

In our case that could be a problem for us concerning Fatts. You have to wonder if he's being contacted by others...….
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I don't like the new proposal......even if we need it this year....

The long term affect will lead to non P5 teams losing better players to other conferences...becoming feeder programs to the big guys....

We can assume that tampering will go on behind the scenes with no smoking guns that implicate coaches at these big schools....
I agree not a good rule at all but I think all of college basketball will suffer and not just the mid majors. There will be plenty of players to go around. Hopefully conference can still have their own rules as to transfering in the same conference.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

On a broader perspective, this ruling is another example of the growing encroachment of professionalism into amateur sports. What does this really have to do with the purity of college athletics. Silly me for holding this view, since pure amateurism disappeared long ago.

But to deny that this is unconnected to the P5 is ludicrous. The P5 has been the chief force in moving college athletics further and further away from pure amateurism. The so called "arms race" is just one example confirming that. And wasn't that inherent in Alabama football coach, Nick Saban's comments, when he remarked that this isn't Rhode Island where they go to games and have a picnic.

Sorry to digress
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'll repeat my position on this - I think allowing more transfers, if the goal of the "big cartel" is to concentrate talent in their own programs, is going to backfire. It's going to lead to even more of an even distribution of talent across the leagues. In basically every pro league ever, more player movement leads to more competition.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago I'll repeat my position on this - I think allowing more transfers, if the goal of the "big cartel" is to concentrate talent in their own programs, is going to backfire. It's going to lead to even more of an even distribution of talent across the leagues. In basically every pro league ever, more player movement leads to more competition.
Its worked like that for us thus far!

We win games, we get the little used P5's and the good mid-lower majors. (Makhi Mekhel Malik)

There are always going to be plenty of good players and guys that develop slower than others. Some guys are better fits elsewhere.

Win next year, we will have happy campers on the roster and guys interested in joining the likes of Toppin, twins, Malik, and the rest.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago On a broader perspective, this ruling is another example of the growing encroachment of professionalism into amateur sports. What does this really have to do with the purity of college athletics. Silly me for holding this view, since pure amateurism disappeared long ago.

But to deny that this is unconnected to the P5 is ludicrous. The P5 has been the chief force in moving college athletics further and further away from pure amateurism. The so called "arms race" is just one example confirming that. And wasn't that inherent in Alabama football coach, Nick Saban's comments, when he remarked that this isn't Rhode Island where they go to games and have a picnic.

Sorry to digress
Ask the college athletes that. The schools and conferences have the right and obligation to produce as much revenue as possible to fund their sports. If a TV network wants to offer schools 1 billion a year, that ultimately trickles down not just to football or basketball, but to swimming, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, equestrian, you name it. If a school wants to sell season tickets for $5,000 a seat, that is their right, especially if people are buying them. If a coach is good, a team should have the right to seek donations, increase revenues, and try to pay them a salary necessary to retain them. That is the American dream. Your market is whatever people are willing to pay you.

Yes, there is P5 disparity. But is it the Big 10's fault that their media deal pays them over $50 million per team per year? I can't blame them for that. I don't blame teams for looking for the highest revenue possible. Should networks be pushing teams or conferences towards realignment? I don't agree with that, but that's a different argument. Colleges are trying to produce revenue like they were 50 years ago, they just produce more of it, largely because it's 50+ years of inflation plus significantly greater media visibility.

The momentum has been pushing towards this for at least 10-15 years. I felt it started with the "Why does a player have to sit a year while a coach can leave penalty free crowd," ignoring the fact coaches often paid buyouts (which I feel are insignificant, is still some form of punishment). Then it became the stipends, that players didn't feel they had enough food and things to live on. After stipends, it became a push towards NIL. It started as a California issue, and became a national issue. Little by little there has been increasing pressure on the NCAA regarding the rights and compensation of players. It's not a new thing in the last 2-3 years.

Did all of these issues come to be because the NCAA was making money? They had been doing that for decades. Did it come because schools were making more money? Or did it come because nationally more people are not afraid to "fight the system" and "fight for their rights?" It trickles into everything. You don't like something, you find a protest, file a lawsuit, etc. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, just a reality. It invades college athletics. Fight for NIL. Fight for transfer rights. Fight for your piece of the pie.

Is that because of the P5? God no. The players want money because they know they are driving revenue. Players 50 years ago were also driving revenue. As much? No, but do people really not think UCLA was making millions of dollars off of guys like Alcindor, Walton, etc.? Society is different now. We can cry about it, or we can try to figure out how to be more like a have or a have not. Have to be innovative, creative, bust your ass for donations, etc. But the arrow is only going to continue to tilt more and more towards player rights and further and further away from the colleges and universities. I just don't blame the P5 for that, it's always felt to me like a more seismic societal switch.

But these player right's, they always tend to hurt the little guy. NIL is going to benefit big schools. Players can make money off themselves, but a player at Kentucky is probably going to make a lot more money than a player at Grambling. Transfer rules, benefit big schools. A player from Grambling can go to Kentucky, but a guy from Kentucky probably isn't going to Grambling. The better you are, the more money you make, the more desirable you are. It's true in life, and it's true in athletics. It sucks, but it's true.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

All of the player movement is like real life fantasy sports. Teams just repeatedly shuffling the deck- with loyalty(for the most part) taking a back seat.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Here's one you don't see too often these days:

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago Here's one you don't see too often these days:

Makes you want to root for Bowling Green and Turner.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I'm somewhat uncomfortable agreeing with Billy Baron here, but yeah - It's 2020. If you have legitimate pro potential, teams are going to find you. There are way less stiffs at the end of NBA benches now, thanks to the G-League and the strength of European and Chinese basketball leagues.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago I'm somewhat uncomfortable agreeing with Billy Baron here, but yeah - It's 2020. If you have legitimate pro potential, teams are going to find you. There are way less stiffs at the end of NBA benches now, thanks to the G-League and the strength of European and Chinese basketball leagues.
What makes you uncomfortable agreeing with a statement that is 100% true? Just because it"s from Billy? Kid didn't do a wrong or mean spirited thing when he was here.
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
No better example than Ja Morant. If you can play, the pro scouts will find you.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
No better example than Ja Morant. If you can play, the pro scouts will find you.
That's always been the case. Remember Dennis Rodman and Scottie Pippen? Ever heard of their alma maters -- Southeastern Oklahoma State and Central Arkansas?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Those tweets, to me, ring more true for Toppin than Tyrese. Jacob is taking a much bigger risk than Tyrese is in my opinion.

If Jacob had a different last name but was the same exact player and had the same exact stats this year, I don't think he leaves.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago I'm somewhat uncomfortable agreeing with Billy Baron here, but yeah - It's 2020. If you have legitimate pro potential, teams are going to find you. There are way less stiffs at the end of NBA benches now, thanks to the G-League and the strength of European and Chinese basketball leagues.
What makes you uncomfortable agreeing with a statement that is 100% true? Just because it"s from Billy? Kid didn't do a wrong or mean spirited thing when he was here.

"Uncomfortable" is the wrong word, sorry. His name just always reminds me of a not-so-great period of URI basketball.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'd love it if our players had the same loyalty to the program that most of us fans have but truth be told we lost three wings to transfer and brought in one wing and two bigs. The one wing we brought in is the best defender and three point shooter of the four wings. So far none of them have shown the ability to create offense for others. We have lost some rebounding ability but on that front we got two bigs coming in who may help us control the boards. I'd be higher on the Mitchell brothers if they had a whole season under their belts but the size is undeniable. If you look at the statistics for Jacob Toppin and Antwan Walker for last season its hard to say that Toppin had a better year, I'm actually perplexed if he thinks he is ready for a higher level based on what he has produced so far. At this point it feels like we are ahead in this new era as much as some of the transfers out are unpleasant.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Someone may have already put this on one of the chains.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... exception/
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The same Billy Baron that first committed to one school but then changed his mind going elsewhere and ultimately played for three separate colleges in four years?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Without the 'subtle' part, yes.

Why would you say that when you know how he’s always operated as a coach? The Nolley rumors picked up, and Sid chose to look elsewhere. They had room for both; but, as Sid said, he made a “business decision.” He wasn’t happy with how few minutes he got when he was one of only eight available players, and the prospects didn’t look much better for the upcoming season. Players want to play. They can be wildly wrong about their actual skills sets, but I don’t blame them for at least trying to bet on themselves.

It’s been interesting to see what programs are coming up with to recruit right now. There’s still going to be a lot of misses (even when guys commit) in this recruiting cycle. Spring of ‘21 has the chance to be even wilder.
C’mon if Tyrese ends up at UConn I would have to suspect they were talking to him before he entered the Portal.
Doubt it.

Maybe it was unexpected by UConn to have Martin come available. Since they had plenty of freshman targeted to improve that spot and their coach already had a relationship - why wouldn't he reach out?

It's not always a conspiracy theory.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago

Why would you say that when you know how he’s always operated as a coach? The Nolley rumors picked up, and Sid chose to look elsewhere. They had room for both; but, as Sid said, he made a “business decision.” He wasn’t happy with how few minutes he got when he was one of only eight available players, and the prospects didn’t look much better for the upcoming season. Players want to play. They can be wildly wrong about their actual skills sets, but I don’t blame them for at least trying to bet on themselves.

It’s been interesting to see what programs are coming up with to recruit right now. There’s still going to be a lot of misses (even when guys commit) in this recruiting cycle. Spring of ‘21 has the chance to be even wilder.
C’mon if Tyrese ends up at UConn I would have to suspect they were talking to him before he entered the Portal.
Doubt it.

Maybe it was unexpected by UConn to have Martin come available. Since they had plenty of freshman targeted to improve that spot and their coach already had a relationship - why wouldn't he reach out?

Read the stories about how slimy Hurley called him all the time, and how they talked mostly about basketball. Unexpected, my @ss.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Doubt it.

Read the stories about how slimy Hurley called him all the time, and how they talked mostly about basketball. Unexpected, my @ss.
Not buying this. From a very credible source, he was full on poached prior to him entering the portal.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
The same Billy Baron that first committed to one school but then changed his mind going elsewhere and ultimately played for three separate colleges in four years?
Yes, the same Billy Baron who made sure he got on the floor and went on to play professionally.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

2020 D1 Transfers (Most as of 4/15/20)
1. California Baptist - 8
1. UAB - 8
1. Wichita State - 8
4. Holy Cross - 7
5. 7 Schools tied - 6

2020 A10 Transfers (Most as of 4/15/20)
1. GW - 5
1. UMass - 5
1. URI - 5
4. Duquense - 4
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Not buying this. From a very credible source, he was full on poached prior to him entering the portal.
Sarcasm Alert

What!?! c'mon DH would NEVER!! Don't you know he's above all that?!?

And and and, he never spoke a word to Tom Moore or that "retired" puppet master with a home in SoCo about coaching at UConn while he was still coaching here. Not even possible.

Being that he's such a good guy, above reproach, we can just assume he would NEVER, NOT EVER.

Still bowing at the alter of Danny Hurley,
Running Ram signing off.

Sarcasm Alert
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
giovanni
Carlton Owens

giovanni
Carlton Owens

class of 86
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by class of 86 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Mekhi Long to Old Dominion
Is this considered a step up?Maybe it's a stronger academic decision?am I right or a m I right?
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

And the dust hasn't settled yet.....who knows who Cox is going to Get to transfer in?......
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe JH is waiting for the 100 % transfer rule passing then he makes his decision to stay or go ???
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
“So who cares as long as my guys in the Cartel are happy?”
— Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Justin Byerly
@JustinByerly
Virginia Tech transfer Isaiah Wilkins has heard from NC A&T, Radford, Towson, Rhode Island, Hofstra, Elon, ECU, BYU, UNC-Asheville, and Rice.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Won't he have to sit 2 years?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

I wonder if any of these 700+ transfers are going to ask to come b ack?or how many coaches will ask them to stay.It's counter intuitive to think it could happen but if the options in transfers are dismal.....???
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

class of 86 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if any of these 700+ transfers are going to ask to come b ack?or how many coaches will ask them to stay.It's counter intuitive to think it could happen but if the options in transfers are dismal.....???
A high scoring player from Bowling Green entered the portal and was getting a good amount of attention. Forgot his name but he ended up staying at BG
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
1h
Interesting Stat:

13 mid-major players who averaged double-figure field goal attempts during the 18-19 season opted to graduate transfer to high-major programs
prior to last year.

None averaged double-figure field-goal attempts in 19-20 season