The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by ramster »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

jcru wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:He did bring his recruits from Wagner (which kind of hurt the program). Really DH stacking the roster with a bunch of Wagner recruits and transfers that he knew from high school made us suck for a couple years.
That doesn't bode well for our current recruits, think about it. History is the greatest teacher of the future. If he did that before, he'll do it again.

Go out and get the best coach you can, because the cupboard is likely to get raided, at least a little bit
Mike Aaman is the only player who came from Wagner, with Bashir’s blessing.

My personal opinion, informed by nothing but my gut, is that everyone stays if Cox is hired. The administration has to determine how much that plays into him being the best hire. I’d love to see him get the chance.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I mean, Bruce Pearl is still coaching. Why not Rick?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

frontcourt player... the plot thickens
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Don't spend it all in one place
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:
jcru wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:He did bring his recruits from Wagner (which kind of hurt the program). Really DH stacking the roster with a bunch of Wagner recruits and transfers that he knew from high school made us suck for a couple years.
That doesn't bode well for our current recruits, think about it. History is the greatest teacher of the future. If he did that before, he'll do it again.

Go out and get the best coach you can, because the cupboard is likely to get raided, at least a little bit
Not to mention, that situation and the situation Hurley is in now are quite a bit different.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Taking mental notes on who is seriously entertaining the idea of hiring Rick Pitino. Will never take anything they say seriously again.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

yoda: No, no different! Only different in your mind!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TP, don't get your ethical panties in a bind.This is a slimy business and as fans, we just want to win.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

eh, in 20 years, no one has ever taken me too seriously. I just call it like I see it, from my Rhody coloured glasses
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Whatever TP, I know you'd be intrigued by what Slicky could do here. Got a ton of respect for Cox and wouldn't at all be disappointed to see him get a shot at keeping the ball rolling, but I bet Slick could keep the recruits signed on as well.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

and sell tickets
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote:
jcru wrote:

My personal opinion, informed by nothing but my gut, is that everyone stays if Cox is hired. The administration has to determine how much that plays into him being the best hire. I’d love to see him get the chance.
Everyone probably will stay if Cox is hired. If Pitino is hired, everyone probably stays, with maybe an "and one" transfer/JUCO?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:Taking mental notes on who is seriously entertaining the idea of hiring Rick Pitino. Will never take anything they say seriously again.
I'm not sure I have ever typed anything serious here in 10 years. Not since I signed up to complain about Marquis Jones dribbling at half court every possession.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:TP, don't get your ethical panties in a bind.This is a slimy business and as fans, we just want to win.
We don’t need Rick Pitino to win. This isn’t 1995. Hell, if I thought Rick Pitino COULD win I wouldn’t even be so mad that people are mentioning him. But he is 337 years old. No person is going to send a good kid with a future to play for a three-times-disgraced geriatric scumbag, so you will get a bunch of flaky kids with baggage that you can’t even depend on to be eligible, if you get any kids.

Someone asked who has a better chance to coach in a final four? It is definitely Cox. Pitino has 0.00% chance. He is finished.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ace wrote:
jcru wrote:

Yea one guy. Mike A. Interesting to see him in the stands this year.

Hassan Martin contact was established there. Obviously benefited from that one.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:Whatever TP, I know you'd be intrigued by what Slicky could do here. Got a ton of respect for Cox and wouldn't at all be disappointed to see him get a shot at keeping the ball rolling, but I bet Slick could keep the recruits signed on as well.
No, I wouldn’t. I would be out and I’d never come back.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

theblueram wrote:To be honest, I think Pitino would 100% accept this position.

And leave at the drop of a hat.. No thanks... Not saying cox or whomever won't do the same but please no pitino... I love to win but not at any cost.. Ricky is damaged goods
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote:

And leave at the drop of a hat.. No thanks... Not saying cox or whomever won't do the same but please no pitino... I love to win but not at any cost.. Ricky is damaged goods
You mean Cox who everyone wants to pay $750K a year? Sheesh. Make up your mind people.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

The longer this thread goes the happier I am that it’s Thorr, and not posters, running this search
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Everyone talks about URI wanting to be a destination job. But when the talk comes to elevating an assistant to HC, it's he has to earn it before we pay him. So what is it? A destination job comes with the salary. A stepping stone job comes with start at the bottom and work your way up. I prefer destination job.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I just don't get the Harrick comparisons to the Pitino. When URI hired Harrick, his only publicly known violations revolved around falsified expense reports trying to hide the fact that he took recruits out to dinner. The NCAA did not sanction UCLA for any Harrick actions. Nearly all the transgressions surrounding Harrick were committed after he was hired by URI. Some of these happened at URI but were not revealed until well after he was gone. Most of his worst and major infractions occurred in the next job at Georgia.

Pitino had the incident with his assistant's wife on the restaurant table, entertained recruits and their fathers with hookers, and helped orchestrate payments to get recruits. Louisville was sanctioned by the NCAA and vacated its national title for infractions under Pitino. Every single one of these incidents is far worse than lying on an expense report.

No institution with any ethics would hire someone like Pitino. That is how it should be.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'll just say if we are offering Cox $750k because he has no head coach experience, I would prefer Pitino.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

What Pitino did to Red Auerbach is enough for me to want him to never come back to this region. Let alone the fact that he ruined the Celtics and ran to Louisville. Now Louisville will have the hammer dropped on it and people somehow think he will be different here? Count me as one who does not want to trade one [eventually vacated] final four for another almost 20 years in basketball purgatory.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

theblueram wrote:
ram1980 wrote:

You mean Cox who everyone wants to pay $750K a year? Sheesh. Make up your mind people.

I'm in for hiring David cox.. Nowhere did I say pay him $750k... If he's the guy pay him like he's the guy and keep the train rolling...
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:TP, don't get your ethical panties in a bind.This is a slimy business and as fans, we just want to win.
We don’t need Rick Pitino to win. This isn’t 1995. Hell, if I thought Rick Pitino COULD win I wouldn’t even be so mad that people are mentioning him. But he is 337 years old. No person is going to send a good kid with a future to play for a three-times-disgraced geriatric scumbag, so you will get a bunch of flaky kids with baggage that you can’t even depend on to be eligible, if you get any kids.

Someone asked who has a better chance to coach in a final four? It is definitely Cox. Pitino has 0.00% chance. He is finished.
Leaving aside the actual very low probability of it happening, your last point is pretty ridiculous. 100% kids would still want to play for Pitino and taking Cox over Pitino is absurd. Cox over Pitino is hilarious.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

idk, it's tempting. The Devil is tempting, and we live in the age of Trump.

But, if Thorr did the unthinkable and hired Pitino, Final Four within 3 years, I'm calling it right now.

Then he flies the coup.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sports...let's just win...after all...

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You go from a situation where you hope the kids don't leave, to where they are begging to stay and not get cut, as he brings in bigger talent.

Would love to see what Fatts can do under Pitino
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Leaving aside the actual very low probability of it happening, your last point is pretty ridiculous. 100% kids would still want to play for Pitino and taking Cox over Pitino is absurd. Cox over Pitino is hilarious.
If this were 10 years ago, maybe. Nobody wants anything to do with him now. He would take this job. I wouldn’t let him do it for free.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Imagine him coaching in the Civic Center next year?

:o :shock: :o :shock:
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'll tell you what, beyond the obvious benefits that would come with the hiring, the thing that would secretly make me smile on the inside is all of the angst it would cause our neighbors to the north. Welcome to Friartown would become a punchline, fast.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:I'll tell you what, beyond the obvious benefits that would come with the hiring, the thing that would secretly make me smile on the inside is all of the angst it would cause our neighbors to the north. Welcome to Friartown would become a punchline, fast.
A former pc coach at URI playing a former URI coach at pc. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I believe if Pitino came here...

-recruits and current players would stay
-the team would win -big
-new recruits would come
-all tickets would be sold
-we would remain ahead of "UConn for as long as Rick and Dan were in place
-we wouldn't have folks asking, "where's the stream for the 'nobody ever heard of it network' broadcast for tonight's game'?
-ETA: see above post about Friartown punchline. Surprised more of the PC haters on this board aren't behind this, knowing how much it would tourque those PC folks.

There is no one else as likely as him to check off all those boxes instantly.
And, for pure coaching ability...very few that are better.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

No, not all the recruits would stay. Harris would go to UConn with Cox.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:No, not all the recruits would stay. Harris would go to UConn with Cox.
Whatever...if it came to Harris or Pitino...neither one will be here that long...give me the coach.
(Although I think if JH went to UConn following Cox...that would be bad advice)
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

If this were 10 years ago, maybe. Nobody wants anything to do with him now. He would take this job. I wouldn’t let him do it for free.
That's another discussion. I don't want him here, either. But, saying Cox has a better chance at a FF is off the charts ridiculous. Pitino would win here and win big. I just don't want the baggage.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The irony is that up until last summer, I didn’t dislike Pitino. But when it gets to the point that a Louisville has to let you go, that’s a bridge to far for me. And it should be a bridge too far for URI, too. And again, if he weren’t so old I could be persuaded that it is worth it, but he’s too old to be a serious coach.

There is also no need for it here. The program isn’t on life support needing to get shocked back to life.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I believe there is no way to keep Harris at this point. Been at this for 20 years, the only way to keep Harris was Dan staying. Even that kid knows that right now, they just aren't saying until the hire is made.

Harris is going to UConn or somewhere else that was on his original list. Trying to keep him would be fool's gold. There may be a tiny outside shot of him deciding to stay if Pitino got the job, only because it's something that wasn't previously on his radar.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Leaving aside the actual very low probability of it happening, your last point is pretty ridiculous. 100% kids would still want to play for Pitino and taking Cox over Pitino is absurd. Cox over Pitino is hilarious.
That's another discussion. I don't want him here, either. But, saying Cox has a better chance at a FF is off the charts ridiculous. Pitino would win here and win big. I just don't want the baggage.
No, he wouldn’t. That’s the whole point. It’s over for him.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I believe if Pitino came here...

-the team would win -big
-new recruits would come
-we wouldn't have folks asking, "where's the stream for the 'nobody ever heard of it network' broadcast for tonight's game'?
-ETA: see above post about Friartown punchline. Surprised more of the PC haters on this board aren't behind this, knowing how much it would tourque those PC folks.

You hire Pitino, you're essentially selling your soul and making a deal with the devil, as far as hoops goes. Yeah, he'll elevate your program... for a while. But it doesn't ever just end with Pitino, it always ends badly, like the most extreme version of the quote from Cocktail. I can understand people's frustration with another coach leaving after getting URI to multiple tournaments, and the fact that we're probably still in the "happy to be in the tournament, not a serious national title contender" level. But the answer isn't hiring the awful sleaze that might get you there, and in the process, fuck up your program.

Make a good, sensible hire and continue to build the program with tangible infrastructure improvements. It's not a sexy way, but it's the best way, similar to how the 'answer' to the attendance problem was just sustained winning. If you try too hard to find shortcuts, that's how you end up with Pitino, or in the past, Jerry D.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Leaving aside the actual very low probability of it happening, your last point is pretty ridiculous. 100% kids would still want to play for Pitino and taking Cox over Pitino is absurd. Cox over Pitino is hilarious.
At least this seems sensible...to say you don't want him is one thing...everyone entitled to their opinion.
But to say he wouldn't win...not sure anyone really truly believes that?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:

-the team would win -big
-new recruits would come

You hire Pitino, you're essentially selling your soul and making a deal with the devil, as far as hoops goes. Yeah, he'll elevate your program... for a while. But it doesn't ever just end with Pitino, it always ends badly, like the most extreme version of the quote from Cocktail. I can understand people's frustration with another coach leaving after getting URI to multiple tournaments, and the fact that we're probably still in the "happy to be in the tournament, not a serious national title contender" level. But the answer isn't hiring the awful sleaze that might get you there, and in the process, fuck up your program.

Make a good, sensible hire and continue to build the program with tangible infrastructure improvements. It's not a sexy way, but it's the best way, similar to how the 'answer' to the attendance problem was just sustained winning. If you try too hard to find shortcuts, that's how you end up with Pitino, or in the past, Jerry D.
cmon Steve. We just had our coach poached by uconn after making the NCAAT for the first time in 20 years. Build the program? When people want to pay the next coach $750K? I'll sell my soul.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
At least this seems sensible...to say you don't want him is one thing...everyone entitled to their opinion.
Pitino's 65, and wherever he ends up next, he's going to have to be squeaky-clean or else he's going to get bounced by the NCAA investigators. Cox is in his early 40s, I think. Their chances of making the Final Four as coaches are probably about equal, whether you want to put that at 1 or 5 or 10 percent, or whatever. Cox will probably have 20+ years to try (whether he's the coach at Rhody or somewhere else), whereas Pitino probably has 5 to 10 years left as a coach. (If the discussion is just, "Who would win the most games in 2018-19?", it's probably Pitino, but that kind of ignores all of the other baggage that goes along with him.)
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:

-the team would win -big
-new recruits would come

cmon Steve. We just had our coach poached by uconn after making the NCAAT for the first time in 20 years. Build the program? When people want to pay the next coach $750K? I'll sell my soul.
I'd rather hire a new coach every three to five years than hiring Pitino, or Bruce Pearl, or anyone else of that ilk. If URI keeps winning regularly, they'll eventually be strong enough to retain whoever they want.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'll tell you what... Pitino get's the nod, you would be foolish to get rid of your season tickets. They'll replace you faster than you can blink. This becomes the hottest ticket in town.

I don't just want to stick it to PC. I want to stick it to UConn and Hurley too. And the entire region. Make them all squirm, every last one of them.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: That's another discussion. I don't want him here, either. But, saying Cox has a better chance at a FF is off the charts ridiculous. Pitino would win here and win big. I just don't want the baggage.
Pitino's 65, and wherever he ends up next, he's going to have to be squeaky-clean or else he's going to get bounced by the NCAA investigators. Cox is in his early 40s, I think. Their chances of making the Final Four as coaches are probably about equal, whether you want to put that at 1 or 5 or 10 percent, or whatever. Cox will probably have 20+ years to try (whether he's the coach at Rhody or somewhere else), whereas Pitino probably has 5 to 10 years left as a coach. (If the discussion is just, "Who would win the most games in 2018-19?", it's probably Pitino, but that kind of ignores all of the other baggage that goes along with him.)
The 'have to be squeaky-clean or else' factor works in our favor. Will there be any coach anywhere under more of a microscope?
Do you think Rhody would have a better shot at the FF (or at least going deep in the NCAAT) with Pitino or Cox...or do you think it's a toss-up?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:
theblueram wrote:
SGreenwell wrote: You hire Pitino, you're essentially selling your soul and making a deal with the devil, as far as hoops goes. Yeah, he'll elevate your program... for a while. But it doesn't ever just end with Pitino, it always ends badly, like the most extreme version of the quote from Cocktail. I can understand people's frustration with another coach leaving after getting URI to multiple tournaments, and the fact that we're probably still in the "happy to be in the tournament, not a serious national title contender" level. But the answer isn't hiring the awful sleaze that might get you there, and in the process, fuck up your program.

I'd rather hire a new coach every three to five years than hiring Pitino, or Bruce Pearl, or anyone else of that ilk. If URI keeps winning regularly, they'll eventually be strong enough to retain whoever they want.
URI needs to set a salary and stick to it. We will never get anywhere with the thought we should pay a coach like Cox less than DH. That thought process needs to end. We will pay our coach x regardless of where they are from. That should be the thought process.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

How bout we get Pitino on the cheap, contract requires URI hire the staff or do double extreme vetting.....which was clearly not done when we sold our souls to hire Harrick.

Then URI hires either PM, Wheeler or ARD as assoc coach in waiting. Forget the buyout, plan B is on the bench ready to go. How bout them apples?

Methinks Harris is a P5 level beast.....I'm certain Pitino could bring in 2 guys better in a hearbeat, even without free sneakers.

Pitino and Harrick are the same guy, pure basketball coaches not interested in much else. URI dictates the staff we're all good.

Y'all think it can't happen? Would set the athletic department up with dough for 20 years. We could fix football, add 2 D1 hockey teams, heck maybe even bring back men's tennis! Build a hotel a practice facility whatever you want. Without Harrick we are still playing in Keaney. Think what a 2 year run with Pitino could do. I believe it is a roll of the dice worth considering......

I think Cox is solid and I am 90% certain Harris will be as good as Kenny Green maybe as good as Sly.

I am 100% certain Pitino can flat out coach college ball like nobody's business. Plus it would set Friartown into a frenzy which is always good.

We're all guessing of course, as I said before the lid is super tight on this one. Snoozeville on campus so any dealing is certainly offsite. Also as I said I am 100% in on whatever Thorr decides. (As long as we install that attacking Harrick style offense) He has earned my trust. He is the first person I have ever heard in Kingston state in front of the media that our goal is the Final Four. We have come a long way and we are very, very close.

Fun times!

Go Rhody!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Cox isn't going to the final four, even if he goes with Hurley, finally lands a hc job at a mid major before the age of 50, and then coaches for 15 years, it's not happening, or at least very, very unlikely.

And Preston Murph? He's going the same way, content to be the 2nd assistant/recruiter on the staff of a larger program than just taking a job at a Wagner or Buffalo and cutting his teeth and diving into the deep end. You have to take risks to make the big money, it's not handed to you.

I think Pitino would have a good shot of building a team that could make an sweet 16, elite 8 or final four run inside of three years. As soon as a Texas or LSU or Auburn calls after that, he's gone. He won't do it if he goes to a smaller school in a lesser conference than this one though.