'14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (Offer)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, if it's true that he's waiting on a decision from Marquette, maybe he's told other schools that, and they will hold off offering him until he finds out that Marquette's a no go.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As of one week ago, we were still in the mix for Garrett. I don't know if the recent Memphis interest has changed that. I don't think it would.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

78, we are still alive.

Wasn't sure before, but yes we are.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, playing time is a big time selling point.

Go EC and Hass!!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well, sure would be nice if this thing ended up working out after all.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Look, its smart for him to weigh his options, its smart for us to back off while he does so, lets hope intellect prevails and Garrett realizes the golden opportunity he would have here. I'm still thinking we're the best fit for him and that there is still a good chance he see's that for himself before all is said and done.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Starting to sound like Terrell...

John Martin ‏@JohnMartinCA · 2h
Notre Dame Prep (MA) 2014 PG Jarvis Garrett said he plans to visit Memphis.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Memphis makes even less sense than Marquette. They have a 4 star Frosh at PG, an incoming 4 star at PG, and Jaquan Lyle cut his list to 4 and is visiting Memphis in a couple of weeks.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think the kid just wants to be in the recruiting game. It's a once in a lifetime and not many people get the opportunity to go thorough it. It may not be important to every kid, but if it is important to him he should have at it. Can't really fault a kid for wanting to feel wooed and get wined and dined a little bit. Hopefully after he gets that experience he'll take stock of what is best for him for the next four years.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Oh, and Jaquan Lyle is also visiting Memphis in March.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't blame him one bit. I just hope he realizes where his best opportunity to play would be and his prep coach doesn't steer him in the wrong direction.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I know you don't Billyboy, but some posters here have acted like he had done something wrong by not committing a month ago.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Billyboy78 wrote:Oh, and Jaquan Lyle is also visiting Memphis in March.
Jerry Meyer tweeted he thinks Lyle is going to wind up a JUCO (and also doesn't see Lyle as a PG in college). Memphis has 4 committed for 2014 (3 are JUCOs, including former URI commit Trahson Burrell). They might be expecting some defections because they're still very active in the spring period. They're one non-JUCO commit is a 4 star point guard (Dominic Magee).
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

After reading the Projo article yesterday about EC and Hassan, I wonder if this has affected Garret's decision to come here. EC and Dan both believe that EC is going to be a PG here. If Dan was totally honest when talking to Garrett, he probably told him this. This would also shift our focus in recruiting to a wing instead of a PG. In any case, something changed Garrett's mind right before he was going to verbal. Garrett does not want to be a backup PG for 3 years. Anyway, just a guess...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

'78, I was thinking the same thing.

I think EC is going to be worked into the PG spot gradually next season. His handle needs to improve, but I have no doubt that it will.

It's great, though, that EC has worked with Dan in that he [EC] knows he's not ready for that yet.

SG's and wing players are the more the focus of recruiting now. A juco and or transfer is in the works.
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

Interesting point there '78. If EC can become a much more proficient ball handler by next season (and I believe he has the work ethic and desire to do so) he could very well be out starting PG and focus on bring in a SG and a big man. I actually think I may even like that idea more than EC at the 2. Makes our team much taller and athletic overall, something Dan has mentioned he wants from his team. Hmm.. interesting to think about
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not sure where all this is going, but I would definitely take Garrett if he wanted in. I think you assemble the most talent you can and then figure out how to get them on the floor afterwards.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Not sure where all this is going, but I would definitely take Garrett if he wanted in. I think you assemble the most talent you can and then figure out how to get them on the floor afterwards.
I'd still love to have Garrett too. I just wonder why he changed his mind suddenly, especially since he hasn't been offered by anybody since he delayed. I wonder if he comes back to us if Marquette, Indiana, Memphis, etc. don't offer.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like none of those schools really need a PG.

Question is, how much do we? We could sure use him next year, though.

There's no guarantee EC works out as our PG by his junior year.

There's still something strange about why Garrett changed his mind. We had been recruiting him hard, knowing that EC could be our PG down the road. He obviously was very interested in us.

Thing is, did we tell Garrett that during the process? If we didn't, that would explain it.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If both Hass and EC become all a10, team does better next year, PLUS EC moving to the point?? With success??

Dan would be right where everyone thought he would be. That would be a lot of fire power for recruiting in evidence. And 2 guys with legit shots at the NBA on his team.

ESPECIALLY with UCONN in big time athletics purgatory. Noway that league thrives as it is now.

Syracuse would be the only superpower in the northeast, everyone else would be on similar footing.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I mentioned last week that I was concerned what Dan might be feeling and telling pg recruits. Yesterday's article makes me think he's not focusing on an additional point guard. This is dangerous, IMO.
I see EC as the off guard. Developing pg skills is all well and good. But, I don't see this as a quick transition for him. TJ and Minnis aren't good enough to start the season with.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They have a very strong interest in improving the point guard position- both with current roster development and recruiting.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

The AAC may be a downgrade; but uconn is still attracting top talent. Their facilities are unparalleled and the $$$ Isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't dump dirt on them yet
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

UConn is the top dog for the foreseeable future. While I don't see the AAC lasting forever, UConn has a strong enough history in basketball to continue to be a powerhouse.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We might be able to be competitive with them on the court soon, but will our facilities ever be?

Never.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

ramfan85 wrote:I mentioned last week that I was concerned what Dan might be feeling and telling pg recruits. Yesterday's article makes me think he's not focusing on an additional point guard. This is dangerous, IMO.
Hurley said exactly the opposite last week or so when he was asked about the PG position. He knows they need to improve.
Go Rhody!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

No doubt UCONN has facilities and some Nat' titles on their record. They are still getting talent.

I just think that the Big East and the ACC are now 1 and the best kids will want to be a part of that along with the other places they usually choose.

I don't think there are that many absolute top echelon kids going around. Syracuse will be above UCONN going forward by default by the opportunities the ACC will offer.

Of course unless UCONN is able to salvage their situation, its my own opinion that they won't.

Even with how good a guy/coach Ollie seems to be so far, Calhoun is gone and so is the past glory of the Big East.

You could say PC's classes recently have been the type of classes that would sustain UCONN the way it was, with all the high rankings of the guys coming in, but it really hasn't. They are 18-10 and maybe getting a look at the tournament?

This whole thing i'm trying to say is basically relativity. They are not what they were relative to other programs positioning now without their legendary coach or powerhouse conference. Other schools have those things now. It is certainly an uphill battle for them now.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
You could say PC's classes recently have been the type of classes that would sustain UCONN the way it was, with all the high rankings of the guys coming in, but it really hasn't. They are 18-10 and maybe getting a look at the tournament?
PC's recruiting has been a little skewed b/c of injuries and suspensions. Pretty safe to say that Ledo, Dunn and Austin would have this team in the top 15.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dunn is bad luck. Hard to say with Austin, but someone could make a buyer beware argument there. I don't know enough of the details to have a strong opinion. As far as Ledo, he doesn't belong in the conversation. He was never going to play any NCAA games no matter where he went, and everyone outside of PC fans knew that a year before he even committed. I don't think you can count him.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Exactly, you can make a case I agree. Those guys are highly touted. Still the situation is what it is.

They almost all are history. You could make a case that if Odom.... You could make a case that if Baron....

Making cases cant matter as much in RI too much these days. Long drought here.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

What if Kyle Cain... Billy Baron.... Holton.... EC..... Martin.... All under DH? What if... Garrett settles in Kingston?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:What if Kyle Cain... Billy Baron.... Holton.... EC..... Martin.... All under DH? What if... Terrell had settled on Kingston?
FIFY
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Austin had zero problems coming in.
Ledo was a crap shoot that PC had to take a flyer on; if he played anywhere else Ed gets murdered for not landing him. The kid from Florida who sat out one semester or Ben McLemore are the upside; Ledo jumped at 500k per year to develop. Tough to blame him
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't blame him or PC. Not really a matter of blame, I'm just saying you can't really count it in PC's bad luck column because it was likely he wouldn't play and that was known going in. Not necessarily anyone's fault.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Three of the 247 guys picked Marquette in the past two days. I don't get it. Yeah, I get that maybe he wants to play close to home, but the question is, does he want to play?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

At this point, whether he comes to URI or not, I will be following Jarvis's career with interest. Will be an interesting test case regarding how players and coaches evaluate situations and talent and the calculus involved in these decisions.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Three of the 247 guys picked Marquette in the past two days. I don't get it. Yeah, I get that maybe he wants to play close to home, but the question is, does he want to play?
They have no idea what they're talking about. Marquette still hasn't offered and doesn't need a PG.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Jerry Meyer has picked URI, Creighton and Marquette so far. Wild guesses each time.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Looks like he picked Rhody. Huge get. Nice job by the staff.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Well, against all odds Garrett has verballed to URI. Great job by PMURPH!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

He went out looking for a better offer. Marquette, Indiana .... it didn't happen so he came right back to URI. Very nice.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

We all feeling a little bit better now? Yes? Good.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hurley and Thorr might have to find some more money for Preston. Remember, he was offered another job last year. Others will come calling ...
Now, it's Murray's turn to step up and get the job done with Gustys.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:He went out looking for a better offer. Marquette, Indiana .... it didn't happen so he came right back to URI. Very nice.
It's a fine line to walk for all involved, and both sides handled it very well in this case.

Congrats to Jarvis!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (Verbal Commit)

Unread post by theblueram »

Very nice!!! Welcome aboard Jarvis!!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I admit, I had given up. Thankfully, PMurph didn't.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wow great news go rams!!!!!!
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great news!!!

Welcome Jarvis! Hope you have a great career here at Rhody!

Our BB fortunes just jumped up a couple of notches!