A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Dayton is so deep...Hard to bet against a team that returns their entire rotation. I like their guard play a lot; obviously, Holmes is a stud. Their glue guys like Blakney and Amzil are perfect fits. My worry with Dayton is we have seen so many fantastic freshmen have that sophomore slump. I wasn't very impressed with them when they played us, but obviously, they are loaded with upside. I could see them underachieved or become a top-10 team. They are one of the deepest teams in the country.

St. Louis will be one of the best rebounding teams in the country. The main question for them is if they can defend. Suppose everyone is healthy and playing their best basketball. I don't see a better starting lineup than this.

Yuri Collins
Javonte Perkins
Gibson Jimerson
Jordan Nesbitt
Francis Okoro

I think Dayton and St. Louis are a complete toss-up. The x factor is Perkins. If he can be the player he was before, then I think they are the best team in the A10.

Give me the veteran team over the young guns. I'll pick St. Louis. It'll be awesome to see both of them in the Sweet 16.
Stevey, Nesbitt transferred to Hampton.

They probably improved with Pickett who was a solid P5 starter (Mizzou) averaged 11 pts.
Thatch can also play starter minutes, last season averaged 11.5 pts and 6 rebs in A10 play.

You are right though, a toss-up.
SLU may have a little more firepower.
My bad! I mixed him and Nesbitt up! I thought Nesbitt was the transfer from Missouri. Anyways, I only watched Missou a few times last season but I remember being very impressed when Pickett played Kansas. I think he dropped 20 that game.
Yeah, I figured you did.

You are right though, SLU's starting 5 might be the best in the conference, at least offensively.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Dayton is so deep...Hard to bet against a team that returns their entire rotation. I like their guard play a lot; obviously, Holmes is a stud. Their glue guys like Blakney and Amzil are perfect fits. My worry with Dayton is we have seen so many fantastic freshmen have that sophomore slump. I wasn't very impressed with them when they played us, but obviously, they are loaded with upside. I could see them underachieved or become a top-10 team. They are one of the deepest teams in the country.

St. Louis will be one of the best rebounding teams in the country. The main question for them is if they can defend. Suppose everyone is healthy and playing their best basketball. I don't see a better starting lineup than this.

Yuri Collins
Javonte Perkins
Gibson Jimerson
Jordan Nesbitt
Francis Okoro

I think Dayton and St. Louis are a complete toss-up. The x factor is Perkins. If he can be the player he was before, then I think they are the best team in the A10.

Give me the veteran team over the young guns. I'll pick St. Louis. It'll be awesome to see both of them in the Sweet 16.

They probably improved with Pickett who was a solid P5 starter (Mizzou) averaged 11 pts.
Thatch can also play starter minutes, last season averaged 11.5 pts and 6 rebs in A10 play.

It was nice when Hurley had us in the upper echelon with St Louis, Dayton and VCU. How quickly that erased now into our 5th year beginning a rebuild.

Now we have discussions about which team is the best in the A10 and we are not remotely in the discussion.

Carry on :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Yuri Collins
Javonte Perkins
Gibson Jimerson
Jordan Nesbitt
Francis Okoro

It was nice when Hurley had us in the upper echelon with St Louis, Dayton and VCU. How quickly that erased now into our 5th year beginning a rebuild.

Now we have discussions about which team is the best in the A10 and we are not remotely in the discussion.

I share the frustration Ramster.

But let's face it, not like we haven't been through this before.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I guess we will protect the guilty party for that hiring decision.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Brandon Martin (Frank's son) transfers from South Carolina to UMass.
Grad transfer surprisingly on scholarship (fills 13) played in all 30 games averaged 12 minutes.
Adds depth at wing (6'5")

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I share the frustration Ramster.

But let's face it, not like we haven't been through this before.
Ahhh yes. The old “we’ve been through this before”.
Fact is that’s what makes it even more frustrating.
We’ve been through it before yet we don’t learn from our mistakes.

The success that Hurley had from taking over Jim Baron’s disaster could have been parlayed into hiring an experienced Head Coach. Popular pick, including on this board was to continue forward with David Cox. Keep the recruiting class intact, smooth transition. Status quo.

It flopped from year 1. Strong team handed over by Hurley led by current NBA player Jeff Dowtin who Cox inexplicably moves off the PG Leadership role - his biggest mistake as HC in 4 years.
Langevine and Tyrese Martin plus Fatts Russell in year 1. But team underachieved year 1 and things steadily went downhill to where only 1,000 to 1,500 bodies were in seats last February. I was there for every game and saw the dismal actual turnout. What a mess.

I predicted if Cox didn’t get an NCAA bid he would be fired. He was. Cox did not increase his length of contract or give him a raise, writing was on the wall. Only thing was Cox was so bad that the chance for an NCAA bid wasn’t remotely close. Thanks for making the firing decision a slam dunk.

Yes we have been through this before. That’s what makes it even more frustrating, not less.

HC’s of the Rick Pitino level were available, including Rick himself. But we went safe.

Starting over. Again.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

Yes
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes
Really, 72 wanted a substantial raise and extension for Cox and criticized the administration for not giving it to him.

I along with almost everyone else felt at the time Cox was the correct hire.
No way the University was going to bring in Pitino with fear of repercussions or put under the microscope.

I agreed with Thorr that Cox deserved the opportunity and given a fair chance.
Also, he got a ringing endorsement from Hurley.

Obviously, it didn't work out, like so many hires around the country, so we can't dwell on the past.

I am glad we now have Archie and his staff, the school is investing in the program, and looking forward to the future.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Post by Rhody72 » 1 year ago

It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes
Really, 72 wanted a substantial raise and extension for Cox and criticized the administration for not giving it to him.

No way the University was going to bring in Pitino with fear of repercussions or put under the microscope.

Obviously, it didn't work out, like so many hires around the country, so we can't dwell on the past.

I am glad we now have Archie and his staff, the school is investing in the program, and looking forward to the future.
1st of all Hurley, Thorr and Dooley were all wrong with the Cox recommendation and hire. Disastrously wrong. Period. The buck stops with them.

2nd of all, Agree with you, Yes, the majority wanted Cox. That makes the majority wrong too. Misery loves company.

3rd of all, there was a possibility of URI hiring Pitino. You say there was no way?? Wrong. Dooley stood in the way of the hiring of Pitino.
Some key people wanted Pitino. Iona is not regretting their decision at all. URI is regretting their decision and continues to pay the price of a terrible hiring decision.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes

1st of all Hurley, Thorr and Dooley were all wrong with the Cox recommendation and hire. Disastrously wrong. Period. The buck stops with them.

2nd of all, Agree with you, Yes, the majority wanted Cox. That makes the majority wrong too. Misery loves company.

3rd of all, there was a possibility of URI hiring Pitino. You say there was no way?? Wrong. Dooley stood in the way of the hiring of Pitino.
Some key people wanted Pitino. Iona is not regretting their decision at all. URI is regretting their decision and continues to pay the price of a terrible hiring decision.
Very easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
At the time it was felt Thorr made the correct hire with the right intentions.
The hiring process isn't a perfect science or so many head coaches wouldn't get fired.

We know that some boosters pushed for Pitino, but like I said the University wasn't going to let that happen.
He wasn't even granted an interview.

Iona took a chance on Pitino and it is working out well, good for them.

I still trust Thorr and am not going to base his legacy on the Cox hire.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The hiring process isn't a perfect science or so many head coaches wouldn't get fired.

We know that some boosters pushed for Pitino, but like I said the University wasn't going to let that happen.

It’s not Monday morning quarterbacking when I didn’t want Cox in the first place. It does T matter if the majority of people wanted Cox. We kept Jerry Duh to keep Lamar Odom and the rest of the recruits. We did the same with Cox. Afraid players would leave.
And consider Cox was known for years within the URI Athletic Department.
Just a bad hire, plain and simple,

If you were not out of state and could have experienced the sadness, quietness, frustration of the Ryan Center staff, 1000 people (when URI announced there are 4000 tickets sold) you might better get what a disaster the MBB became with David Cox in the HC spot. A coaching move absolutely had to be made. Wasn’t even like a decision was made - the disaster the Ryan Center became was just Bleak.

Big hole to crawl out of.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It’s not Monday morning quarterbacking when I didn’t want Cox in the first place. It does T matter if the majority of people wanted Cox. We kept Jerry Duh to keep Lamar Odom and the rest of the recruits. We did the same with Cox. Afraid players would leave.

If you were not out of state and could have experienced the sadness, quietness, frustration of the Ryan Center staff, 1000 people (when URI announced there are 4000 tickets sold) you might better get what a disaster the MBB became with David Cox in the HC spot. A coaching move absolutely had to be made. Wasn’t even like a decision was made - the disaster the Ryan Center became was just Bleak.

If you didn't want Cox in the first place than you're an exception.

The hire didn't work out and we moved on.
That happens regularly in college sports, need to get over it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure it’s the exception. URI was the exception when we brought in Jim Harrick when most all were looking the other way.
The majority isn’t always right.

Some thought Cox wouldn’t get fired last year either. Thankfully he got canned.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sure it’s the exception. URI was the exception when we brought in Jim Harrick when most all were looking the other way.

Yes, but in our case the Cox hire did make a lot of sense and he was deserving at the time.

The way 21-22 finished, the writing was on the wall, Cox was done, and we all knew it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes, but in our case the Cox hire did make a lot of sense and he was deserving at the time.

The way 21-22 finished, the writing was on the wall, Cox was done, and we all knew it.
URI was deserving of a proven Head Coach having won the A10, Went to Sacramento and beat Creighton and almost beat Oregon. Then made the NCAA the next year as well.
Cox being “deserving” is not the way to fill a HC Slot.
He steadily made the URI basketball program worse from the time he took the position. He lost the job over his 4 year dismal performance - not just last year’s performance. An entire college career for students who started their Freshman year at URI.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Agree and agree. Cox was deserving of the hiring and deserving of the firing.

Let's all move on now.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Sure it's the exception. URI was the exception when we brought in Jim Harrick when most all were looking the other way.
The majority isn't always right.

Some thought Cox wouldn't get fired last year either. Thankfully he got canned.

URI was deserving of a proven Head Coach having won the A10, Went to Sacramento and beat Creighton and almost beat Oregon. Then made the NCAA the next year as well.
Cox being "deserving" is not the way to fill a HC Slot.
He steadily made the URI basketball program worse from the time he took the position. He lost the job over his 4 year dismal performance - not just last year's performance. An entire college career for students who started their Freshman year at URI.
We all knew that Cox was a coach in waiting if Dan left.. He was a massive part of our success, and many great programs hire and promote the associate head coach. Continuity is important. Cox was a fantastic recruiter, and Hurley praised Cox many times for his ability to make game adjustments. Considering that he was a strong recruiter, a strong player developer, and a strong tactician, plus his years of experience, it felt like the perfect time for him to become a head coach. He checked all the boxes to be our next head coach, which is why most of us wanted him.

I'm not sure what the numbers were, but I know we would have paid him a specific dollar amount if Cox wasn't hired as Dan's replacement. All the current players wanted him to stay. The recruiting class wanted him to stay. You don't have the support from all those people if you don't make a strong impression.

We were wrong... Who knows if Archie Miller is our head coach if Cox isn't hired? I think it all worked out!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Cox being "deserving" is not the way to fill a HC Slot.
He steadily made the URI basketball program worse from the time he took the position. He lost the job over his 4 year dismal performance - not just last year's performance. An entire college career for students who started their Freshman year at URI.
We all knew that Cox was a coach in waiting if Dan left.. He was a massive part of our success, and many great programs hire and promote the associate head coach. Continuity is important. Cox was a fantastic recruiter, and Hurley praised Cox many times for his ability to make game adjustments. Considering that he was a strong recruiter, a strong player developer, and a strong tactician, plus his years of experience, it felt like the perfect time for him to become a head coach. He checked all the boxes to be our next head coach, which is why most of us wanted him.

I'm not sure what the numbers were, but I know we would have paid him a specific dollar amount if Cox wasn't hired as Dan's replacement. All the current players wanted him to stay. The recruiting class wanted him to stay. You don't have the support from all those people if you don't make a strong impression.

We were wrong... Who knows if Archie Miller is our head coach if Cox isn't hired? I think it all worked out!
Absolutely 100% Stevey.

Ramster, remember you also had the most optimistic prediction of anyone in 21-22 giving us 25 wins.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. ...
Of course you omit that I was opposed to the Cox hiring originally. You just can't bring yourself to blame the AD for a poor hiring decision regardless of how I felt.. I guess you agreed with the AD on the Cox hire. Further, you omitted the buy-out I proposed. Instead, we had a free-fall again and had to start over from ground zero.
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

Let's all move on now.
Yep. Just make believe the 4 years never happened. Plus the damage continues beyond the 4 years.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. ...
Of course you omit that I was opposed to the Cox hiring originally. You just can't bring yourself to blame the AD for a poor hiring decision regardless of how I felt.. I guess you agreed with the AD on the Cox hire. Further, you omitted the buy-out I proposed. Instead, we had a free-fall again and had to start over from ground zero.
I did agree with "the AD" on hiring Cox. 95% of people involved with the program felt Cox was ready to be a successful head coach. We were all wrong. That's the risk of taking on a first-time head coach. Once Cox took over the AD clearly saw what all of us saw, and that's why he fired him.

You watched David Cox screw up lineups, and timeouts, and get outcoached over and over again and felt he needed an extension. That's the difference.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Let's all move on now.
Yep. Just make believe the 4 years never happened. Plus the damage continues beyond the 4 years.
Actually, I put it in my rear-view mirror once Cox was let go and we hired Archie.

Not going to dwell on the past.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Let's all move on now.
Actually, I put it in my rear-view mirror once Cox was let go and we hired Archie.

Amen. I mean seriously, let move on. Cox was justifiably hired...the same way Brad Stevens was at Butler, Matt McMahon at Murray State, and Drew Valentine at Loyola. And if those guys had failed or do fail in the case of Valentine, then they're gone.

It's easy to say that at the time they shouldn't have hired Cox...just like there were some who thought Brad Stevens was a bad pick at Butler. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. (Let me guess Ramster, I'm sure you foresaw Tom Brady becoming the greatest QB of all-time?) So you thought Cox wasn't going to work out, and he didn't. So you were right. Big deal. It still doesn't mean the hire was unjustified. And it still doesn't mean that you fire coaches every 3 years. You understand that?

The damage??? What, did URI get the death penalty from the NCAA? I must've missed something.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Late to the game here… but back to Davidson vs SLU.
I take SLU 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Baring injury, I feel they run away with the A10 this year. Perkins wins POY. He’s a force. Won’t be stopped.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Late to the game here… but back to Davidson vs SLU.
I take SLU 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Baring injury, I feel they run away with the A10 this year. Perkins wins POY. He’s a force. Won’t be stopped.
The comparison was with SLU and Dayton, the top 2 predicted teams in the A10.

But yeah, I agree with you about Davidson vs. SLU.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Late to the game here… but back to Davidson vs SLU.
The comparison was with SLU and Dayton, the top 2 predicted teams in the A10.

But yeah, I agree with you about Davidson vs. SLU.
Sorry. Meant to write Dayton. That’s what happens when you kick back a few rum runners on a Friday before LDW. Too many D schools… :lol:
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amen. I mean seriously, let move on. Cox was justifiably hired...the same way Brad Stevens was at Butler, Matt McMahon at Murray State, and Drew Valentine at Loyola. And if those guys had failed or do fail in the case of Valentine, then they're gone.

It's easy to say that at the time they shouldn't have hired Cox...just like there were some who thought Brad Stevens was a bad pick at Butler. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. (Let me guess Ramster, I'm sure you foresaw Tom Brady becoming the greatest QB of all-time?) So you thought Cox wasn't going to work out, and he didn't. So you were right. Big deal. It still doesn't mean the hire was unjustified. And it still doesn't mean that you fire coaches every 3 years. You understand that?

The damage??? What, did URI get the death penalty from the NCAA? I must've missed something.
Mike,
On the subject of damage where you say you must have missed something. Would you say there was no damage to the MBB program with the Cox hire?
Serious question, how many games did you personally attend last season in the Ryan Center.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Mike,
On the subject of damage where you say you must have missed something. Would you say there was no damage to the MBB program with the Cox hire?
Serious question, how many games did you personally attend last season in the Ryan Center.
Yes Ramster, the atmosphere in the arenas due change depending upon whether the team is winning or losing.
But this certainly isn't permanent and almost all programs go through it.

Also, remember that in 20-21 there were no fans in the RC or anyplace else.
Last season Covid restrictions and limitations also had an effect.

Our program will do just fine going forward if we trust Archie's ability to turn things around.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1. St Louis
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. George Mason
5. Loyola
6. UMASS
7. Davidson
8. Richmond
9. Fordham
10. URI
11. St Bonaventure
12. Duquesne
13. George Washington
14. LaSalle
15. St Joseph’s
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

1. St Louis
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. George Mason
5. Loyola
6. UMASS
7. Davidson
8. Richmond
9. Fordham
10. URI
11. St Bonaventure
12. Duquesne
13. George Washington
14. LaSalle
15. St Joseph’s
Hard to disagree with 1,2, and 3, possibly 4.

I wouldn't put St. Joe's last, but Billy Lange has been a huge disappointment.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Feel like GM is constantly overrated.
GO RAMS
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Fordham ahead of URI and will be playing Arkansas
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

1. St Louis
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. George Mason
5. Loyola
6. UMASS
7. Davidson
8. Richmond
9. Fordham
10. URI
11. St Bonaventure
12. Duquesne
13. George Washington
14. LaSalle
15. St Joseph’s

I would think if he comes in 14th or 15th he will most likely be gone ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago

1. St Louis
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. George Mason
5. Loyola
6. UMASS
7. Davidson
8. Richmond
9. Fordham
10. URI
11. St Bonaventure
12. Duquesne
13. George Washington
14. LaSalle
15. St Joseph’s

You would think Reef, they really underachieved last season.

Surprisingly they have a very strong recruiting class for '23, one of their best.
Not sure that can even save his job.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Mike,

Not sure how many games somebody is at the Ryan Center has to do with anything. (For the record, I haven't been to a game in Foxboro for ages. Does that disqualify me from being a Pats fan or offering my semi-educated fan opinions.) If I say that I attended more URI games during the Claude English and Brendan Malone era, is that relevant to anything? I'll assume anybody who posts on the board has an interest and some observational knowledge of URI athletics regardless of how many games they attend, if they graduated from URI, what era they're from, etc.

Damage? I think that word is a little bit overdoing it. When I think of damage, I think of academic scandals, NCAA investigations, coach abuse, administration neglect, stuff like that. None of that occurred. (Based on your semantics argument, I'm guessing you believe that Archie "damaged" the Indiana program?)

People hop on and off bandwagons all the time. As soon as Archie has URI wining consistently, attendance and enthusiasm will pick up. I'm not stating anything there that people shouldn't already know.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

You would think Reef, they really underachieved last season.

Surprisingly they have a very strong recruiting class for '23, one of their best.
Not sure that can even save his job.
Billy Lange has been at St Joseph's 3 Years and he has improved the team's record each year.
  • Year 1: 6-26 (.188)
  • Year 2: 5-15 (.250)
  • Year 3: 11-19 (.362)
Review of Last season shows how teams fared versus their A10 Coaches Preseason Poll:

Actual Place in A10 Conference (Places above + or below - A10 Coaches Poll)
1. Davidson +5
2. VCU +2
3. Dayton +2
4. St Bonaventure -2
5. St Louis -2
6. Richmond -4
7. George Washington +6
8. Fordham +6
9. George Mason -1
10. UMASS -1
11. URI -4
12. LaSalle - even
13.St Joseph's -3
14.Duquesne -4
  • URI, Richmond and Duquesne were the worst performing teams finishing 4 places worse than predicted
  • St Joseph's was 3 places worse than predicted
  • Fordham and George Washington were the biggest surprise teams finishing 6 places better than predicted

This year Billy Lange has landed a strong recruiting class.

Mike Jensen, a writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer just wrote he believes Billy Lange has added 2 years to his job security at St Joseph's with this recent recruiting class of 2023. See attached article link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-AA10Wvuo
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Mike,

Not sure how many games somebody is at the Ryan Center has to do with anything. (For the record, I haven't been to a game in Foxboro for ages. Does that disqualify me from being a Pats fan or offering my semi-educated fan opinions.) If I say that I attended more URI games during the Claude English and Brendan Malone era, is that relevant to anything? I'll assume anybody who posts on the board has an interest and some observational knowledge of URI athletics regardless of how many games they attend, if they graduated from URI, what era they're from, etc.

Damage? I think that word is a little bit overdoing it. When I think of damage, I think of academic scandals, NCAA investigations, coach abuse, administration neglect, stuff like that. None of that occurred. (Based on your semantics argument, I'm guessing you believe that Archie "damaged" the Indiana program?)

People hop on and off bandwagons all the time. As soon as Archie has URI wining consistently, attendance and enthusiasm will pick up. I'm not stating anything there that people shouldn't already know.
Yeah, his '23 recruiting class can possibly save his job and maybe they can surprise some this season.
The team does have some talent.

His 3 years at St. Joe's are nothing to write home about, A10 record:
(19-20) - 2-16, T13th
(20-21) - 3-9, T13th
(21-22) - 5-13, T12th
Total - 10-38 (.208)

Not sure how long of a leash they will give him.
His seat is getting very warm.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mike,

Yeah, his '23 recruiting class can possibly save his job and maybe they can surprise some this season.

(19-20) - 2-16, T13th
(20-21) - 3-9, T13th
(21-22) - 5-13, T12th
Total - 10-38 (.208)

Each year that you just posted improved over the previous year.
This article from the Philly Inquirer by Mike Jensen indicates how this year’s and especially next years recruiting classes have added an estimated 2 years at least to Lange’s stay. Emphasizes how the recruits are from Philly as well. The new AD at St Joseph’s made this fire/hire move when she took over at St Joseph’s - she is unlikely to fire her first hire now that he is recruiting so well this summer.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He most likely is fine but if he goes 3-15 or worse that can obviously change
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

(19-20) - 2-16, T13th
(20-21) - 3-9, T13th
(21-22) - 5-13, T12th
Total - 10-38 (.208)

This article from the Philly Inquirer by Mike Jensen indicates how this year’s and especially next years recruiting classes have added an estimated 2 years at least to Lange’s stay. Emphasizes how the recruits are from Philly as well. The new AD at St Joseph’s made this fire/hire move when she took over at St Joseph’s - she is unlikely to fire her first hire now that he is recruiting so well this summer.
Certainly not the improvement they were hoping for.
His teams did have some talent but always seemed to underachieve.

Lange's recruiting class may have bought him some time, but sooner or later he needs to produce.

For his sake I hope he can turn it around, but not easy to feel optimistic.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm kind of surprised Lange is still around. "He improved each year!" is kind of damning with faint praise when the team still finished EIGHT games under .500. Regardless of how good his incoming class is for 2023-24, I'd think that Lange would have to be at or above .500 to keep his job. The fact that he still has his job is probably because he was the new AD's replacement for Martelli, as another poster has pointed out in the past. (Apologies to that person, since I've disagreed with them in the past. I think they definitely needed to move on from Martelli, but hiring a guy who got fired from the Patriot League about a decade before wasn't exactly an inspired choice.)
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

(19-20) - 2-16, T13th
(20-21) - 3-9, T13th
(21-22) - 5-13, T12th
Total - 10-38 (.208)

I'm assuming you're joking about the improvement comment, Ramster? 10-38 is horrible. He does have a great class, but he's not a good coach. That's like trying to convince my mom that I deserved praise when I went from a D- to a D in middle school. It still was a horrible grade.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

The fact that we are ranked below Fordham shows how much damage the Cox Reign of Error did to our program. I can't wait to see that change under Archie.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago The fact that we are ranked below Fordham shows how much damage the Cox Reign of Error did to our program. I can't wait to see that change under Archie.
OK, you realize it's impossible for Fordham to underperform? They've been picked last in the A10 since like...ummm....forever. They only have one direction to go every year, you understand that? So any year Fordham finishes above some team(s) in the standings, you can make your statement about said team(s).

It's kind of like the Jets, right?
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I believe Fordham is being overlooked. They finished ahead of URI last year. They are expected to do better then URI this year. Their OOC schedule includes a team that was ranked #1 in "The way too early top 25" for 2022-2023. Is there another A10 team that can say that. They are making things happen with a new coach. They are nothing like the Jets!!!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I believe Fordham is being overlooked. They finished ahead of URI last year. They are expected to do better then URI this year. Their OOC schedule includes a team that was ranked #1 in "The way too early top 25" for 2022-2023. Is there another A10 team that can say that. They are making things happen with a new coach. They are nothing like the Jets!!!
I definitely understand why some pick Fordham ahead of us this season.
Aside from beating and finishing higher than us 21-22, they beat a good Akron team on the road by 20 pts, which won 24 games and barely lost to UCLA in the NCAAT last season.
Fordham returns 4 starters including top scorer Quisenberry (16.2 pts).
Plus, they added probably immediate impact transfer (F) Khalid Moore who started 30 games last season for Georgia Tech.

However, with all that said, I still have a feeling we will finish ahead of them this season.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Fordham lost their head coach and replaced him with an assistant. Their actual best player from last year was Ohams (PER = 22.2), and he graduated. They also lost Daye Jr. midseason, who was their second best player by PER, and part of the reason why they had a .500 record OOC. I think them holding serve near .500 would be a success for them, given the upheaval, but if you're looking for teams to go from mid-pack to the teens, they'd be one of my first choices. (I'm also not as bullish on George Mason, and think they might need a "consolidation" year instead of just continuing to improve.)