2015 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: 2015 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Bos8 »

TruePoint wrote:ARD would seem to be a great fit for Al's staff if he gets the job, being an Atlanta native and Skinner guy. Note there is an assistant coach on staff with ARD at College of Charleston named Dick Bender. D'oh!
Haven't really read through the whole thread or kept up with Coach Skinner's assistant coach hires, but in the past I've seen the two sitting together and hanging out together on the recruiting trail. They are obviously still very close and I wouldn't be surprised to see them working together.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Well, if and when Donovan leaves today, here are the recruits who probably will be asking for releases from their letters-of-intent:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... 15/florida

Not that URI was ever or will ever be involved, but "very interesting…."
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12793 ... ty-thunder

According to ESPN, it's a done deal and Billy Donovan will be the new coach of the OKC Thunder. It will be interesting to see how this move impacts the college ranks.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Generally, losing a coach at this stage of the process can be a very, very bad thing for trying to fill the spot. Any idea if UF had an associate HC or anything like that?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Since it's been rumored for a couple of weeks at least, I'm sure Florida was already making contingency plans. It'll be interesting to see what his recruits want to do.
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Again, let the rumor-mill begin…..

Note the the names at the bottom of the article.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ball-coach
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Cooley to Florida?
Not a big enough name?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bressler3south wrote:Again, let the rumor-mill begin…..

Note the the names at the bottom of the article.
Looks like he threw the name of every up and coming coach (except for Cooley) out there.
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Losing Shaka and Archie in the same year wouldn't be too good for the league.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Screw Florida. Hope they hire Baron and sink into a swamp of mediocrity.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Actually, a story on Rivals did mention Cooley as one of about six coaches mentioned
as possibilities.
UF basketball revenues were 119 million! Mind boggling.
They could afford to blow anyone away.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:Actually, a story on Rivals did mention Cooley as one of about six coaches mentioned
as possibilities.
UF basketball revenues were 119 million! Mind boggling.
They could afford to blow anyone away.
I never would have thought that the basketball revenues alone were $119 million. How much revenue does the football team there generate?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, that was the Florida Athletic Dept. revenue.
According to Forbes in 2013, football generated 74 million dollars.
Basketball was 10.5 million.
Guess it's easy to see why football drives the bus.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Goodman tweeted possible replacements but don't remember Hurley's name
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

twisted3829 wrote:Goodman tweeted possible replacements but don't remember Hurley's name
I surmise Al Skinner and Seth Greenberg aren't on that list………...
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

You bring in $10 million and you're No. 2 on campis. Amazing.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Meanwhile in fantasy land, someone on the dark side is trying
to say Big Ed turned down a"well over 10 million dollar" deal to coach the
Detroit Pistons last year.
Geez, the highest paid NBA coach is Doc Rivers. Guess what he makes?
10 million a year.
Greg Popovich, the leagues most successful coach makes 6 million.
I doubt any NBA team would pay a relatively unknown coach that kind of money.
Maybe the alleged 10 million plus was for several years, if indeed there was ever an offer?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Meanwhile in fantasy land, someone on the dark side is trying
10 million a year.
Maybe the alleged 10 million plus was for several years, if indeed there was ever an offer?
Yeah, and on one my son's NBA video games I get to dunk on Wilt and Kareem -- on the same play!

And I only assigned myself a $200,000 salary. What a fool!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rod, I believe the rumored deal was something like 4 or 5 years at $17 million, something in that range.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ah, that makes much more sense.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rod - what does it matter if Cooley was in the mix for Detroit or Florida? According to fantasyland, he is never going to leave PC. End of discussion. Meanwhile, coaches at other schools are ALL looking for the next gig trying to get out of town as fast as possible. It is sort of similar to recruiting. When a recruit chooses a school other than PC, the Friars weren't really interested and backed away. A recruit NEVER willfully chooses another school OVER PC. NEVER. Recruits however turn down other schools all the time, regardless of whether a scholarship offer was even extended. It is just the way things are.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC is Heaven!!!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

bressler3south wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Meanwhile in fantasy land, someone on the dark side is trying
10 million a year.
Yeah, and on one my son's NBA video games I get to dunk on Wilt and Kareem -- on the same play!

It's ok to admit that it was your video game.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

RAM67 wrote:
bressler3south wrote:
10 million a year.

It's ok to admit that it was your video game.
Good one, '67!!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Since Billy Donovan departed Florida for the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder last week, two names have been floating around: Dayton's Archie Miller and Xavier's Chris Mack.

According to 247Sports, Mack is at the top of Florida's list.

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Florida prefers Mack over the less-experienced Archie Miller. Mack originally was hired at Xavier after working under Arizona coach Sean Miller, and has taken Xavier to three Sweet 16's in six seasons.

Mack's contract was recently extended through the 2020-2021 season.

Meyer also noted that he is hearing Providence coach Ed Cooley's name as a "sleeper candidate". This isn't much of a surprise either. Cooley has done an incredible job since arriving at Providence in 2011."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'd rather my coach be a contender for another job than a sleeper.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, Mack and Miller have won in NCAA games.
Ed has two one and dones.
Winning in the NCAAs is what get's AD's attention for those big jobs.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Who would leave PC for the NBA. Other than Pitkin and !Mullaney.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Pitino. Damn autocorrect.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:Who would leave PC for the NBA. Other than Pitkin and !Mullaney.
This is about the Florida job.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
Ramblinrose wrote:Who would leave PC for the NBA. Other than Pitkin and !Mullaney.
This is about the Florida job.
Well, it's sorta like the NBA…..
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote:I'd rather my coach be a contender for another job than a sleeper.
On the the other hand, Jeremy Foley, Florida's AD, may go for the totally unexpected from his wish list, the best of the best and make enquiries, because he knew that one day this would happen.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote:Rod - what does it matter if Cooley was in the mix for Detroit or Florida? According to fantasyland, he is never going to leave PC. End of discussion. Meanwhile, coaches at other schools are ALL looking for the next gig trying to get out of town as fast as possible. It is sort of similar to recruiting. When a recruit chooses a school other than PC, the Friars weren't really interested and backed away. A recruit NEVER willfully chooses another school OVER PC. NEVER. Recruits however turn down other schools all the time, regardless of whether a scholarship offer was even extended. It is just the way things are.
Cooley lives in his and his wife's hometown is paid very well I believe close to two million when all is said and done. He loves the people he works for so I don't think he is going to be in a big hurry to leave.I believe the same would hold true for everyone on this board if they were paid as well as he and lived in his and his wife's hometown. So saying people live in fantasyland for thinking he is not leaving is rather ridicoulous.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Rod - what does it matter if Cooley was in the mix for Detroit or Florida? According to fantasyland, he is never going to leave PC. End of discussion. Meanwhile, coaches at other schools are ALL looking for the next gig trying to get out of town as fast as possible. It is sort of similar to recruiting. When a recruit chooses a school other than PC, the Friars weren't really interested and backed away. A recruit NEVER willfully chooses another school OVER PC. NEVER. Recruits however turn down other schools all the time, regardless of whether a scholarship offer was even extended. It is just the way things are.
Cooley lives in his and his wife's hometown is paid very well I believe close to two million when all is said and done. He loves the people he works for so I don't think he is going to be in a big hurry to leave.I believe the same would hold true for everyone on this board if they were paid as well as he and lived in his and his wife's hometown. So saying people live in fantasyland for thinking he is not leaving is rather ridicoulous.
Absolutely! . He will retire a Friar after 50 years of coaching!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The same romanticizing of Cooley never leaving PC goes on right here on this board with Hurley never leaving URI so I don't get this nonsense.

Hurley might be the next Mark Few or Gregg Marshall but probably not. In fact I am more inclined to think Hurley leaves before Cooley. I'm just happy Cooley and Hurley are here in RI elevating the college basketball game for this state.

Also, I'm surprised Cooley isn't more of a candidate for the Gators job. IMO he deserves an interview.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

STC wrote:The same romanticizing of Cooley never leaving PC goes on right here on this board with Hurley never leaving URI so I don't get this nonsense.

Hurley might be the next Mark Few or Gregg Marshall but probably not. In fact I am more inclined to think Hurley leaves before Cooley. I'm just happy Cooley and Hurley are here in RI elevating the college basketball game for this state.

Also, I'm surprised Cooley isn't more of a candidate for the Gators job. IMO he deserves an interview.
I don't think anybody here thinks Dan is CFL. If you need proof, just watch the amount of people freaking out next time his name is mentioned on a list for an open job. Cooley, on the other hand, is there 'til death, according to PC fans.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Billyboy78 wrote:
STC wrote:The same romanticizing of Cooley never leaving PC goes on right here on this board with Hurley never leaving URI so I don't get this nonsense.

I don't think anybody here thinks Dan is CFL. If you need proof, just watch the amount of people freaking out next time his name is mentioned on a list for an open job. Cooley, on the other hand, is there 'til death, according to PC fans.
Definitely, I agree URI fans are a little less confident of Hurley being here long term so every time his name comes up we freak out. This is the life of rooting for a mid-major. I just roll my eyes every time someone posts about Hurley building the Gonzaga of the east. I'd love to believe it but c'mon. Hurley tells us what we all want to hear when he signs these extensions but its all hot air.

PC fans should feel more secure about Cooley, at this point he's established a program and makes $2M a year. It seems like when Cooley does jump it will be for a destination job like a Florida for example.

Full disclosure, I don't read the PC Board so I have no idea what is going on over there.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

PC fans who believe Cooley won't ever leave are delusional. He's got a decent contract and he's coaching where he grew up which keeps PC in favor, so for that I don't think he would jump to rebuild a low-tier P5 school, but I do think if he builds his resume he could one day leave for a choice, blue-bloodesque job. That, or if there is a fracture with the administration. Right now he has an AD who will fight for him and a President that will spend for him. The fact that they plan on building a basketball practice facility just years after remodeling Alumni Hall show how committed they are continuing to build the program up. Fr. Shanley understands the importance of sports to a college community, and has invested in all programs. You never know what it would be like if he leaves and the new president could care less about investing in athletics, preferring to put all of those additional resources towards academic ventures.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote:PC fans who believe Cooley won't ever leave are delusional. He's got a decent contract and he's coaching where he grew up which keeps PC in favor, so for that I don't think he would jump to rebuild a low-tier P5 school, but I do think if he builds his resume he could one day leave for a choice, blue-bloodesque job. That, or if there is a fracture with the administration. Right now he has an AD who will fight for him and a President that will spend for him. The fact that they plan on building a basketball practice facility just years after remodeling Alumni Hall show how committed they are continuing to build the program up. Fr. Shanley understands the importance of sports to a college community, and has invested in all programs. You never know what it would be like if he leaves and the new president could care less about investing in athletics, preferring to put all of those additional resources towards academic ventures.
Shanley's done both.

Then again, move this type of stuff to the "All Other…."

Also, Cooley is competitive and if there's a greater challenge that pays him double or triple of X, Y or Z he may well take it.

Florida will be a challenge….What did Donovan leave them? Murphy?
:o

WHAT WOULD BE FUNNY/HILARIOUS: IF QUICK-TRIGGER PITINO, SR. TOOK THE JOB TO SET UP FOR SNOW-BIRD DAYS…...
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:PC fans who believe Cooley won't ever leave are delusional. He's got a decent contract and he's coaching where he grew up which keeps PC in favor, so for that I don't think he would jump to rebuild a low-tier P5 school, but I do think if he builds his resume he could one day leave for a choice, blue-bloodesque job. That, or if there is a fracture with the administration. Right now he has an AD who will fight for him and a President that will spend for him. The fact that they plan on building a basketball practice facility just years after remodeling Alumni Hall show how committed they are continuing to build the program up. Fr. Shanley understands the importance of sports to a college community, and has invested in all programs. You never know what it would be like if he leaves and the new president could care less about investing in athletics, preferring to put all of those additional resources towards academic ventures.
URI fans who think we are now all set are equally delusional.....

Good post rjsuperfly66
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Florida has hired Louisiana Tech Head Coach Mike White to replace Billy Donovan. Personally, I would take Cooley any day over White.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

A name I've heard mentioned as a possible assistant for Coach Skinner at KSU is a familiar one---- Carlton "Silk" Owens.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bos8 wrote:A name I've heard mentioned as a possible assistant for Coach Skinner at KSU is a familiar one---- Carlton "Silk" Owens.

One would think Atlanta native Antonio Reynolds-Dean would make sense for Skinner given his ties to the coach and area.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Per Jon Rothstein, Preston hired as an assistant to Greg McDermott at Creighton.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

BPR2010 wrote:Per Jon Rothstein, Preston hired as an assistant to Greg McDermott at Creighton.
I just saw that. That was a surprise.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm shocked! That's a little out of Preston's sphere.
Maybe Creighton needs someone with Michigan ties,
as well as NE ties?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Maybe he sees BC as a doormat in the ACC.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Perhaps. But Creighton isn't exactly tearing through the NBE in the post-Dougie era.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Odd move from ACC to NBE.
Boston to Omaha?
Wonder what brought it about?
Now Preston will have to sell his house in Cranston.