Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not to mention that that section looks like dog shit.
The royal media doesn't need better seats than any paying fan.
I'm sure they can put seating that can be moved for trucks to
bring in shows.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ECR, perhaps a well crafted hip-hop song would get the point across to the administration. It shouldn't be too difficult.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

TruePoint wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:I'm sure Jay-Z put as much time and effort into raping as Luciano Pavarotti or Placido Domingo
did for their voices. Give me a break.
Probably doesn't spend a lot of time raping (I hope). But yes, 100% requires as much practice and effort as any pop singer or musician puts in (not sure where opera singers fit in). Like I said, its a different skill. You aren't putting the time in tuning your voice, you're practicing cadence, delivery, etc., but mostly writing. You're clearly talking out of your ass here, which I don't understand because the point of my post was it is understandable to not like it. So why not just say "I don't like it" instead of making crazy arguments?

Also, Katy Perry, Pink, and Taylor Swift write most of their stuff. So does Adele.
Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but come on.......
Also, Katy Perry, Pink and Taylor Swift's stuff makes me want to set myself on fire because it is so terrible and vapid and mindless. So good for them, I guess.
Why ya gotta be so mean?
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Ok here is my one song I think they should play next year, I think it would be perfect to come out of the tunnel to if you can sync up the chorus correctly....

(go about :44 seconds in to get to the good stuff)

As you will see, Under Armour used the chorus in a commercial last fall and it came out well....

Also, as a side note, Katy Perry ain't writing a thing. She's just there to look good and sing what was written for her. I'm sure we will never know but I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor Swift had a ghost writer.

Another side note totally unrelated to in-game music, if you want a good summertime jam check out "Swimming Pool Blues" by Miniature Tigers.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

jesus I know this is a downtime for uri topics but come on were better then this.

I honestly just read the last 5 posts and I refuse to give anymore of my time to the rest of it. A bunch of 22 to 65 year old men arguing over taylor swift. hahaha. cool guys.

That being said ill join in for this one comment. whoever said taylor swift, katy perry, pink, or adele wrote their own music clearly deserves to be thrown into a trial by combat and possibly castrated like a unich.

You sir have no knowledge of pop music at all. period. yes your right taylor swift wrote all of her own songs....... when she was 12 and moved to Memphis. Ghost writers? forget about it, this isn't rap. they don't even try to hide the fact that there not writing the music. Madonna started the trend, Britney spears and Christina Aguilera perfected it, and now we are left with the aftermath.

I hate pop music becuz its not music. theres no true feeling or art to it. its broads with cute faces and bodies that r essentially reading a teleprompter. computer zombies on stage taught to repeat words and look hot and if they aren't hot enough or interesting enough, then just pull your tits out and suck the fame out of teenage boys brains.....miley.....

I don't even want to go back to see who made that comment its so pathetic.

Sun kissed skin so hot we'll melt you're popsicle.......... now that's some epic songwriting right there.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LOVE IT !
SLY IS FIRED UP !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It is a little strange that I am the defender of hip-hop music here, since I am not personally invested in this argument at all. I grew up as much on Zeppelin and the Stones and Radiohead and the White Stripes as I did on Biggie, Jay-Z and NaS. But there are two foolish arguments that need to be addressed here.

The first is that the most successful hip-hop people don't have the same amount of talent or put in the same amount of effort as successful people in other genres. That premise is almost laughable in its absurdity. I don't say this because I have anything to gain or lose in the argument, but because the statement is clearly illogical. Just because you, personally, are not aware of the effort or capable of recognizing the talent does not mean they don't exist. I love Clapton, and Page and Bonham and Hendrix and all of the others that are recognized as geniuses with their chosen instruments, but hip-hop has its own guys that take their craft that seriously and are just as good at what they do. Because you don't know their names doesn't mean they don't exist. The nature of the genre is that the vocalist is the "artist" and the producer is kind of secondary, but they are the ones that make the music and people who care know who they are.

The second is that "very few people listen to hip-hop songs" that came out years ago. That is just categorically wrong on its face. People are always going to listen to the music that they grew up with. I have friends from a ton of different places and walks of like that I know from high school, college, law school, and my professional life, and anytime I'm at a party or a cookout or something and someone's ipod plays a classic rap song that came out when I was in high school, people love it. Sure, a lot of what is popular at any given time won't hold up over time, but the same can be said of any generation. In 1969, the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd, Doors, Credence, Dead, etc., were all going at once. And go look at the billboard charts for 1969. Has every song and every artist on that chart held up? I don't think so.

Both of these arguments sound like they are assumptions based on personally held notions or biases without any actual information to support them. As I've said, I am certainly not telling anyone that they should like hip-hop. I totally understand why someone wouldn't like a particular sound or some of rap's subject matter, but to claim that the artform itself requires less talent or effort is just ignorant.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SlyWilliamsCaddy wrote:jesus I know this is a downtime for uri topics but come on were better then this.

I honestly just read the last 5 posts and I refuse to give anymore of my time to the rest of it. A bunch of 22 to 65 year old men arguing over taylor swift. hahaha. cool guys.

That being said ill join in for this one comment. whoever said taylor swift, katy perry, pink, or adele wrote their own music clearly deserves to be thrown into a trial by combat and possibly castrated like a unich.

You sir have no knowledge of pop music at all. period. yes your right taylor swift wrote all of her own songs....... when she was 12 and moved to Memphis. Ghost writers? forget about it, this isn't rap. they don't even try to hide the fact that there not writing the music. Madonna started the trend, Britney spears and Christina Aguilera perfected it, and now we are left with the aftermath.

I hate pop music becuz its not music. theres no true feeling or art to it. its broads with cute faces and bodies that r essentially reading a teleprompter. computer zombies on stage taught to repeat words and look hot and if they aren't hot enough or interesting enough, then just pull your tits out and suck the fame out of teenage boys brains.....miley.....

I don't even want to go back to see who made that comment its so pathetic.

Sun kissed skin so hot we'll melt you're popsicle.......... now that's some epic songwriting right there.

Love your first two sentences followed by then doing the exact same thing you just condemned for another 5 paragraphs.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Guess what? I care about people's musical taste on this board about as much as I care about what condiments you like on your sandwiches.

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. You know how they say to not talk to people about religion and politics? I think we should add in musical tastes to that on here.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Ummmm Adam.......

Idk if you have been living under a rock or maybe in one of those PC dorms that don't allow women.....

But Sly Williams loves him some 2014 pop music......
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Shit taylor I was wondering when you were gonna weigh in on this topic.

Took you awhile to respond, must have been writing more material.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"That being said ill join in for this one comment. whoever said taylor swift, katy perry, pink, or adele wrote their own music clearly deserves to be thrown into a trial by combat and possibly castrated like a unich."

I said it, SO WHAT? And I guarantee you can't tell Puccini from Bizet or Garth Brooks from George Strait.

"You sir have no knowledge of pop music at all. "

So all these people are full of shit, who claim to write their own music, right?
I also know what I like. Don't agree? Too bad.

Oh, and Mr. Condescending, calling people ignorant, because
you think making fart noises by someone's mouth to one beat is a big talent.
You sound like a complete moron making asinine statements like that.
Yup, Placido Domingo is on a par with 50 Cent, talent wise. I want what you're smoking.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is how it goes IMO....there are throw-away, frivolous songs of all genres, and their are timeless classics, of all genres. Pretty sure Notorious BIG, Tupac, Jay-Z, Eminem and a few others will be played for decades to come. Similar to how classic 60s/70s rock has endured and influenced through decades of musical changes. Smells Like Teen Spirit was considered a "Pop" song at the time (1990), it was played on Top 40 radio, that is what defines pop as in most popular. In their day the Stones were pop music, so casting a stone at the whole lot is ludicrous as well. As far as who worked harder or what required more talent, I love hip hop but you cannot put that in the category of Mozart, Beethoven, Pavarotti or some of that stuff Rod said, that is on a whole other level. In terms of the creative process for 60s rock bands and 90s rappers, it was pretty dam similar, get really high and write music. Their tools for creating it were just different. I don't see a huge difference.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree 100% with BAR, and that is all I was trying to say. Bringing up classical composers and opera singers is besides the point and is a non sequitur. I am just defending hip-hop as legitimate in comparison with other modern brands of popular music. Saying that a genre of music is making fart noises is silly. If you don't like it, that is fine. There is a lot of music I don't like. Saying that there is no talent involved in making it is just being a curmudgeon.

Rod, there is no reason why you would take this conversation personally. I get you don't like rap music. That makes you just like almost every other person in your generation. I don't get why you need to get so angry about it. Its all in good fun, bud. You don't have to use these straw man arguments where you disagree with some crazy point that I never made in order to get that across (shitty rapper vs. opera singer?). Just say you don't like hip-hop music. It's really OK. It just ignores reality to say these guys are talented just because you don't like the music.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Shouldn't take it personally?
Gee, someone said I should be castrated for my views.
Got that? Sounds personal to me.

BAR, the difference between say Dylan, Springsteen, Beetles et al and
rappers is simple. The aforementioned people have to create lyrics AND melodies.
Real music, not words to a beat.
In the 50's poetry read to a beat was done by people called "beatniks".
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK, but that wasn't me that said that. And I'm pretty sure that was said in jest.

Anyways, there are elements of hip-hop that are uniquely artistic, much in the same way melodies are in traditional pop music. I get it if you don't follow it closely enough to recognize that, but why not admit that you aren't familiar enough with the genre to have a valid opinion on the degree of creativity involved and defer to people that know better? Maybe you'd learn something or gain a new appreciation for something rather than get into another stupid argument.

This is probably one of those conversations where there is no possible way I can get my point across because the other party isn't receptive to what I'm saying. So I'll stop here. But I agree with you how talented the guys from previous generations and other genres are, I just don't think you have an appreciation for what goes into hip-hop music and what people like about it. I know you don't enjoy it and wasn't trying to change your mind, I was just hoping you might be open to understanding why some people do.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Stupid argument". Another bitch slap by Mr. Condescending.
Hey, I hear people who hate opera, hate classical music, hate country music.
So what? I hate speed metal more than I dislike rap. Maybe you could try to tell me why
I should appreciate that, too?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Wasn't a slap, Rod. I think you would have to agree this is stupid. I'm involved, too. I have nothing to add about speed metal, because I don't know anything about it.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

TruePoint wrote:OK, but that wasn't me that said that. And I'm pretty sure that was said in jest.

Anyways, there are elements of hip-hop that are uniquely artistic, much in the same way melodies are in traditional pop music. I get it if you don't follow it closely enough to recognize that, but why not admit that you aren't familiar enough with the genre to have a valid opinion on the degree of creativity involved and defer to people that know better? Maybe you'd learn something or gain a new appreciation for something rather than get into another stupid argument.

This is probably one of those conversations where there is no possible way I can get my point across because the other party isn't receptive to what I'm saying. So I'll stop here. But I agree with you how talented the guys from previous generations and other genres are, I just don't think you have an appreciation for what goes into hip-hop music and what people like about it. I know you don't enjoy it and wasn't trying to change your mind, I was just hoping you might be open to understanding why some people do.

I agree with this and every other post you've made on the subject. I am an avid hip hop listener and there's absolutely rappers out there who put in just as much work as the legends of other genres. The nonsense you hear on the radio Isn't the stuff I'd recommend if you want to gain appreciation for the music.

Someone earlier said rap will be nonexistent in the future. I couldn't disagree more. Rappers like Tupac and Biggie was 20 years ago. Their music is absolutely played constantly by many listeners and guys like Jay Z NAS and Eminem are the legends of this generation.

I've just accepted it for what it is. People who don't listen to certain types of music can't truly understand its impact and authenticity if they let their personal opinion of it overshadow what really goes into making the music.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKpX-5jQjQ0&safe=active

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

STC wrote:As you will see, Under Armour used the chorus in a commercial last fall and it came out well....

Is it just me or did anyone else have trouble deciphering the "chorus"? Was it the random tuba sounds, the synthesized drums, or the people muttering in a tunnel?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rod- I was in Lucca, Italy 2 weeks ago and saw Puccini's house and went to a concert in an old Church w opera songs from a variety of his works... Good stuff !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

ECR, to some, it's not as good as some people doing bad poetry
to a beat.
No wonder this country is declining.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nobody said that....
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rappers have to harmonize words to produced music and sampling, that is the definition of melody. Do you not think there is melody to hip hop music? that is incorrect. listen to eminem use his voice to change melody in many of his songs, his voice can make a tone go from threatening to light-hearted/whimsical to inspirational. That is melody. Just using different tools.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sampling? You mean ripping off parts of old songs, because they
can't come up with one of their own?
Speaking is not melody and it's not singing.
I think my disdain for rap comes from the idiots who roll their
windows down and blast that crap so loud that the ground shakes.
As if the whole world wants to hear that.
As Bill Reynolds wisely says, "Hell is other people's music".
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan is pretty much spoken - not melody and not singing.
A lot of people consider that to be the first rap song.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Well, Dylan is actually singing On SHB. The problem is that he's a terrible singer. But I love him anyway, possibly the best songwriter of all time.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

This country is declining for reasons far far far beyond music.

How about the David Hasselhoff? Man, I could listen to him sing the Baywatch theme song for days

This thread has become like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Truepoint...There is really know other way to put this other than you're wrong....The talent, effort, and musicianship is not even close when comparing hip-hop to pretty much any genre other than death medal...

Lil Wayne "When I was five my favorite movie was the Gremlins. Ain't got shit to do with this but I just thought I should mention"

Dr Dre "I use Crest so ain't no cavity creeps in my drill"

Diddy "Young, black and famous, with money hanging out the anus"

Jay Z "Thirty-eight revolve like the sun round the Earth"

Dr Dre "Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin"

50 cent + Eminem "We in the club doing the same old two step Gorilla unit, cuz, they say we bugged out Cause we don't go nowhere without toast, we thugged out"

Wow my bad guys I didn't realize they were this talented...Definitely comparable to Clapton and others...You can't teach stupid

Drum machines have no soul
Clapton is God
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Smarty, you're right about SHB, it's basically a rap, but the experts are wrong, it's not the first rap by at least 20 years, Willie Dixon, Willie Mabon and various other 'blues' performers were rapping long before Dylan and there is good argument that rapping was born of traditional Jamaican wailing, there is also traditional Irish music that is similar to wailing or rapping, even metered spoken word could be considered rap and that goes back a thousand years plus. As for modern 'rap' I think it's the instrumentation that is offensive, especially when played so loudly the earth quakes. Of course I'm offended by some of the lyrics, but that goes for some of any genre of written or spoken word.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Haha nice argument. In a career with literally thousands and thousands of lines, you're going to pick a couple to prove a point? And what point are you even trying to make? That you don't relate to the music? We already knew that. That hasn't zero to do with whether the people making it are talented. (Also, while we are here, Dre doesn't write his own stuff, Lil Wayne is terrible and quite likely mentally deficient, Jay-Z's line is illustrative of exactly the kind of word play that makes him good, 50 Cent is terrible and any argument that Eminem is not singularly talented is void on its face.)

Your argument is the same as me saying that there is no talent involved in billiards because I don't like billiards and think it is a tedious waste of time. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean there is no talent involved. Seriously one of the dumbest lines of argument I've ever heard. If you cannot grasp that you not liking something is not the same as there being no merit to it, then you are not even a person worth arguing with.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

89, there are hundreds of popular 'Rock' songs with extremely silly lyrics, you haven't proven anything by citing a handful of 'rap' lyrics.
Some lyrics are cleaver and some not so much, it applies to all genre.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

'no one will be watching us, why don't we do it in the road' - Sir Paul McCartney
Go Rhody!!!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:Haha nice argument. In a career with literally thousands and thousands of lines, you're going to pick a couple to prove a point? And what point are you even trying to make? That you don't relate to the music? We already knew that. That hasn't zero to do with whether the people making it are talented. (Also, while we are here, Dre doesn't write his own stuff, Lil Wayne is terrible and quite likely mentally deficient, Jay-Z's line is illustrative of exactly the kind of word play that makes him good, 50 Cent is terrible and any argument that Eminem is not singularly talented is void on its face.)

Your argument is the same as me saying that there is no talent involved in billiards because I don't like billiards and think it is a tedious waste of time. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean there is no talent involved. Seriously one of the dumbest lines of argument I've ever heard. If cannot grasp that you not liking something is not the same as there being no merit to it, then you are not even a person worth arguing with.
I like this post a lot. As I recall, Eminem won an Oscar for "Lose Yourself". The anti hip hop statements on this board are relentless.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Guys like Clapton became great because during their developmental stage, they stayed in the house and practiced from the time they got up in the morning until the time they went to bed. It's almost an obsession. Derek Trucks probably had a guitar in his crib and it has rarely left his side since. There are a lot of talented musicians. But the ones who become great are the ones who are obsessed with becoming great. Do rappers practice their craft like this? I don't know the answer. I'm just asking.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

The effort that some people put in to justify their dislike of hip-hop and/or rap is odd. I dislike country music, never analyzed the reasons why or tried to do a quality comparison, I just didn't like it when I heard it so when I have the choice, I choose not to listen to it.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's the same as arguing politics and religion.
Music to me, is a personal thing.
Like religion, I don't like someone trying to convert me or sway me from my beliefs.
I also don't want to hear someone else's "music" from a quarter mile away.
On a lighter note, one time my girl and I were driving my daughter to Assumption,
and they thought it would be great fun to torture me with rap during the trip.
I've never recovered.
gorhody89
ARD

Except my argument was not that there was NO talent in hip-hop because I don't like it...Sure there is talent in hip-hop, my argument is that the level of musicianship does not compare to other genres which is a generally accepted fact throughout the music community.

I also never said that I hate rap, while it is not my favorite I will listen to it occasionally. I think you're quick to assume a few things and think a little too highly of yourself and your knowledge on the subject. But maybe I am wrong...Do you play an instrument(other than piano lessons when you were 9 or you can strum a few chords on a guitar)? Have you studied music and it's roots? Can you read music?
Clapton is God
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

this is blues, but the vocalizations, the rhythmic coupling of syllables is rap...
Go Rhody!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

many rap instrumentals, beats, etc are made on traditional instruments and then turned into produced music. pharrell, dr dre, jermaine dupri and many other producers originate their songs on drums, pianos and even guitars before they let machines turn them into actual produced songs. it is a myth to believe creating a great song is all that different, from one genre to the other. lyrics + melody, all music has it, even hip hop. if you cant understand that i cant help you. rick rubin is one of the most influential producers in the history of hip hop (run dmc, jay-z, beastie boys, public enemy, etc), and his roots are in rock n roll. your emotional feeling about the genre is impacting your ability to logically evaluate its merits.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Cosign what BAR said. I'm not a musician. But we aren't discussing my musical abilities. The people that make the actual music - Premier, Alchemist, Pharrel...those guys are 100% musicians. Even Kanye West before he was a shitty rapper and all around dipshit was an awesome producer. Sure, a lot of the actual rappers may not make music, but they are obviously musically inclined since they deploy their voice almost as an intstrument. Robert Plant didn't play any instruments, either.

As I've said repeatedly, I am not trying to convince anyone to like anything, I just think it is silly to say there is no talent involved.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Plant actually played blues harp, but that's another story.
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

"He went to Paris looking for answers to questions that bothered him so" - Jimmy Buffett
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Plant actually played blues harp, but that's another story.
I played the recorder a few times.
gorhody89
ARD

TruePoint wrote:Cosign what BAR said. I'm not a musician. But we aren't discussing my musical abilities. The people that make the actual music - Premier, Alchemist, Pharrel...those guys are 100% musicians. Even Kanye West before he was a shitty rapper and all around dipshit was an awesome producer. Sure, a lot of the actual rappers may not make music, but they are obviously musically inclined since they deploy their voice almost as an intstrument. Robert Plant didn't play any instruments, either.

As I've said repeatedly, I am not trying to convince anyone to like anything, I just think it is silly to say there is no talent involved.

I never said there was no talent involved, I've played the drums since I was a child but they are with out a doubt more talented and put more effort in than me. My argument is just that they are not at all on the same level of talent and musicianship as artists in classical, blues, jazz, rock and roll, country, and other genres.
Clapton is God
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Plant actually played blues harp, but that's another story.
I played the recorder a few times.
Yes, and playing the blues harp is very similar to playing the recorder. Tell that to Sonny Boy Williamson, James Cotton and Paul Butterfield.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
One of my personal favorite Zeppelin tracks.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

gorhody, i will give you classical....its on a whole other level. not relevant to this convo. i would challenge your notions regarding rock n roll and country music....a few chords, talk about beer and chicks and pick up trucks and you have a country song. do not try to pretend that is some high art form....the strokes are a good rock band, their first album was a pretty big hit, their guitar player strummed 2-3 chords on the entire album. i can go on and on....in general their is a lot of mediocre in music these days, across all genres.