Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

Cox has to leverage being an African American Head Coach during these times.
That just seems like an odd statement....
Carey listed as the reason he decided to come to URI.
Guessing about 30% of D1 head coaches are black. How exactly do you "leverage" that?
Like...does he tell people that might not know? Remind those who might have forgot?

ETA: No one is more psyched than me to have the Syracuse transfer here.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

That just seems like an odd statement....
Guessing about 30% of D1 head coaches are black. How exactly do you "leverage" that?
Like...does he tell people that might not know? Remind those who might have forgot?

25% of D1 coaches are African American and 18.7% of the top 75 rated teams. 3 out of 14 coaches in the A10. Just a point to leverage.
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

25% of D1 coaches are African American and 18.7% of the top 75 rated teams. 3 out of 14 coaches in the A10. Just a point to leverage.
How does that work? when he's in the recruit's living room, does he say, "by the way, in case you didn't notice, I'm also...well...you know....black."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

This is such a stupid conversation.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

What 83 is saying makes complete sense. Not sure how you misconstrue it. Leveraging something to connect with recruits doesn’t mean it has to be a secret.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

How does that work? when he's in the recruit's living room, does he say, "by the way, in case you didn't notice, I'm also...well...you know....black."
It's the same reason why higher-ranked recruits are now considering HBCU's. There is a connection there that exists that is greater than basketball. Some old white guy may be able to sell success and a path to the NBA that excites a potential recruit, but some recruits like to connect to someone much like them, who has dealt with similar challenges in life. I think people forget that coaches don't just teach X's and O's for 2 hours a day and leave, many coaches become mentors, confidants, and in some cases, parental figures. Assistant coaches can also help fulfill a similar role.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

umm, duh, it's called relatability. A cornerstone of relationship building. You aren't this dense NYG c'mon. Oth
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This podcast gives better insight as to how the changes in our society (pandemic & civil unrest) have impacted the role of the head coach in college basketball.

“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

It's the same reason why higher-ranked recruits are now considering HBCU's. There is a connection there that exists that is greater than basketball. Some old white guy may be able to sell success and a path to the NBA that excites a potential recruit, but some recruits like to connect to someone much like them, who has dealt with similar challenges in life. I think people forget that coaches don't just teach X's and O's for 2 hours a day and leave, many coaches become mentors, confidants, and in some cases, parental figures. Assistant coaches can also help fulfill a similar role.
Not Basketball, but along the HBCU lines is Deion Sanders being named HC at Jackson State. Only player in history to play in a World Series and in a Super Bowl.
https://theundefeated.com/features/deio ... community/
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago umm, duh, it's called relatability. A cornerstone of relationship building. You aren't this dense NYG c'mon. Oth
Is he serious????? I think a good listen for NYG would be the Upside interview that Coach did. He talks about some of the education he does with the players, making them aware of their heritage. He's going to talk to the parents and players about that. They aren't picking URI solely because of his race. But because of his life experiences he can utilize that to help educate and mold the young men he is recruiting. That is something that is appealing to many student-athletes and their families. It is so much more then simply going to a school because of the race of their coach...
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Just a question - not a statement in disguise. How many Caucasian players has Cox recruited?
NCAAs or Bust!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Just a question - not a statement in disguise. How many Caucasian players has Cox recruited?
Who cares??? How is that relevant to anything? How many have selected to play for him??
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Just a question - not a statement in disguise. How many Caucasian players has Cox recruited?
The more I think about this, the more absurd this question is, and I don't understand the purpose behind it. How many did Dan Hurley recruit?
And so I think the easiest answer is Gil Biruta.... But who helped recruit Gil Biruta to Rutgers?
Speaking of the Rhody to Rutgers connection... who recruited Austin Carroll to Rutgers. And had such a genuine relationship, that Austin Carroll now works for him at URI?

Just look at this past off-season. Jonah Antonio decided to go to Wake Forest you're going to hold that against Coach Cox? Just recently we offered a 2023 kid named RJ Taylor. We are his first offer. Feel free to look up his ethnicity if you are so inclined.

Also what about our own Greek Freek, Mr. Aris TsIcantRememberHisLastNameis. Does he not count?
Last edited by Bos8 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Who cares
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just a question - not a statement in disguise. Is Rhody 72 the dumbest m*th*fu*k*r on this site?
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
The more I think about this, the more absurd this question is, and I don't understand the purpose behind it. How many did Dan Hurley recruit?
And so I think the easiest answer is Gil Biruta.... But who helped recruit Gil Biruta to Rutgers?
Speaking of the Rhody to Rutgers connection... who recruited Austin Carroll to Rutgers. And had such a genuine relationship, that Austin Carroll now works for him at URI?

Just look at this past off-season. Jonah Antonio decided to go to Wake Forest you're going to hold that against Coach Cox? Just recently we offered a 2023 kid named RJ Taylor. We are his first offer. Feel free to look up his ethnicity if you are so inclined.

Also what about our own Greek Freek, Mr. Aris TsIcantRememberHisLastNameis. Does he not count?
Ha. That second to last sentence was a total gem.
- Mr. Rogers
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We offer lots of non-non-white kids (white kids). Yup, dumb question.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The reality is simply the situation in general. Most elite basketball prospects are not white. If my math is correct, 56 of 400 prospects in the class of 2020 were white (14%).There is a geographic component as well, as regardless of race, URI isn't going to pull many players out of the west coast or midwest. There were 9 total white prospects from New England or the Mid-Atlantic in the class of 2020. There were 81 total prospects from the same area (11%), so approximately 1 out of every 10 top basketball prospects in NE and the Mid-Atlantic are white. Therefore, team composure and recruitment lists are likely to include very few white prospects, as there are very few to begin with.

I've over-indulged, and I'm going to hope it was an honest question and you aren't just a racist prick.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago The reality is simply the situation in general. Most elite basketball prospects are not white. If my math is correct, 56 of 400 prospects in the class of 2020 were white (14%).There is a geographic component as well, as regardless of race, URI isn't going to pull many players out of the west coast or midwest. There were 9 total white prospects from New England or the Mid-Atlantic in the class of 2020. There were 81 total prospects from the same area (11%), so approximately 1 out of every 10 top basketball prospects in NE and the Mid-Atlantic are white. Therefore, team composure and recruitment lists are likely to include very few white prospects, as there are very few to begin with.

I've over-indulged, and I'm going to hope it was an honest question and you aren't just a racist prick.
:D Let's hope so.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The question I asked was based upon the posts that preceded it. The fact that Cox has unsuccessfully recruited white players shows Cox could care less about a player's race. However, it may point to the difficulty black coaches have in recruiting white players. This can turn into a self-fulfilling reality. The reality is that coaches spend their time recruiting players they feel they have a better chance of signing. I don't consider this racism. How many players are there that Cox actively recruits that end up going to Duke? Very few if any. Why do so many URI players come from the greater DC area? Simple, Cox has a good reputation and contacts there. But, the racial make-up of a program does affect recruiting,
NCAAs or Bust!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Check the last 40 years of rosters at URI with both white and black coaches. Do you notice anything? It's not a racial question, no matter how you want to phrase it.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RAM67 wrote: 3 years ago Check the last 40 years of rosters at URI with both white and black coaches. Do you notice anything? It's not a racial question, no matter how you want to phrase it.
I agree with you, but I thought the discussion was about the present program. I don't think potential recruits care ver much about former URI programs.
NCAAs or Bust!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Not entirely sure where to put this. I noticed this Instagram story by Chase Campbell the Strength and Conditioning coach. Must mean he is leaving the program for some reason. It would be sad to see him go.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Shouldn't there have been some sort of press release for him leaving?
GO RAMS
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Confirmed chase Campbell has left the program.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Best of luck Chase C
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Can't see the confirmation but thats a big loss for the program. He was a great staple in this program. Good luck Chase.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Any idea where he’s going? Bunch of people congratulating him on Instagram.
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

On to much bigger things. Wish him the best, was awesome guy.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Chase campbell is on his way to Orlando Magic as his next destination per his IG as the strength and conditioning coach. He will be missed in the Rhody community.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah just saw that great promotion