The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Taylor Swift wrote:
rhodyrudder wrote:
Hal Kopp wrote: Here are some other names for interviews:

Dr. John Giannini-Ex LaSalle coach
Preston Murphy-ex Rhody playa,Creighton asst..
Roland Fiore-SKHS head coach,ex-Rhody playa
Bob Walsh-ex RIC/UMaine Coach
Glenn Miller/ex Brown HC
no,no,no,no and no

Fiore?!?! You have to be kidding me! Smh :lol: :lol:
Seriously, I hope that suggestion was a joke!
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Hal Koop should be banned immediately
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:My top 2 are:

1. Cox - program turned around under Hurley when Cox came; players love him; peers respect him; high upside.

2. Pitino - It’s the “NCAA or Bust” forum; not the “Mother Teresa or Bust” forum. Winning brings a team, school and community together even if the coach is a scumbag.
The biggest problem with Pitino is not that he won't be able to win in the next year or two. It's that he will bust this program out like he is Tony Soprano and we are Davey's sporting goods store. He will leave this place a pile of smoldering trash when goes he goes. In the meantime, the wins will come at the cost of our good name, our dignity and our reputation. Rick Pitino is a disgrace and a pariah and a laughingstock. The program that takes him on at this point, if there is one desperate enough to do it, will be one that is so broken and desperate that they have nothing to lose. Fortunately that's not us. CEOs don't hire their lawyer from TV ads.
Outstanding Sopranos analogy, Mr. TP! I ain't gonna be sleeping in no tent!! :lol:
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:Whoever we hire I hope the comp is very high. We need a coach who gets the gravity of what we are paying him and the expectations we have.
If David Cox is hired as HC, he will be given a significant raise but will not be near the $1.2 million Hurley earned this year. Thorr will probably do two things - put significant performance incentives in the contract; leave room for raises if he delivers results in the league and has ncaa tournament appearances. My guess is $600,000 (that includes typical appearance $ etc) and bonuses for winning A10 regular or tourney and for getting in ncaa Tournament.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

An Assistant Coach with strong NYC ties would be nice.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Whoever we hire I hope the comp is very high. We need a coach who gets the gravity of what we are paying him and the expectations we have.
If David Cox is hired as HC, he will be given a significant raise but will not be near the $1.2 million Hurley earned this year. Thorr will probably do two things - put significant performance incentives in the contract; leave room for raises if he delivers results in the league and has ncaa tournament appearances. My guess is $600,000 (that includes typical appearance $ etc) and bonuses for winning A10 regular or tourney and for getting in ncaa Tournament.
I hope the incentive is more than $10k if he makes the NCAAT. Thorr said the goal is Final Four. Whoever is named coach better have HUGE $$$$$ incentive if they make it and along the way.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote:
Keep in mind, Dan earned what he was making last year and would've made next year by producing results. Some of salary is supply and demand, but some of it is reward for production. Cox will know what URI is capable of doing to reward his success, and URI will treat him fairly. But for a coach that is in his first head job, I think high mid six figures is a very fair number and one that he'd find difficult to duplicate anywhere else. A lot of the salary that would have gone to Dan can go back into the assistant pool, which should make his job significantly easier and increase his chances at the type of success that can accelerate his salary. The NCAA unit money and the Hurley buyout money will be good initial investments in the program enhancements that should further assure his success. Those pieces plus a donor match on them would get you a fairly large chunk of what you need to break ground on the practice facility, for instance, and make it easier to secure financing for the rest of it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The assistant coaches salary pool still should be greatly increased and more charters should be added. Need to attract and keep a quality staff. Need to also make long travel comfortable, quick, and hassle free for players and staff.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Shouldn't the HC salary be set at a level to make 100% certain what the results we want are? You give a guy $600k, I give you nit. You give a guy $1 mil+, we expect NCAAT. I would rather over pay and have the coach good gd know what the fans expect rather than pay the dude cheap and expect a Final Four.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The coach is trying to win, whatever his salary. The reward for success is more salary. Like any other field, salary is commensurate with experience and production.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Thoughts on Porter Moser - the Loyola coach?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:The assistant coaches salary pool still should be greatly increased and more charters should be added. Need to attract and keep a quality staff. Need to also make long travel comfortable, quick, and hassle free for players and staff.
Agree, if the HC feels these are key to success. If it is David Cox, it would be great for him to get a high level first assistant. Someone who is the #2 guy at a top program or an underpaid #1 that he can pay more.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:The coach is trying to win, whatever his salary. The reward for success is more salary. Like any other field, salary is commensurate with experience and production.
That is absolute bs TP. You think the next coach at Kentucky is making $600k? Give me a break.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Word is Pitino inquired about being a Minuteman, but was told he wouldn't last long enough.
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Cox would be insulted at being offered 600K. His top assistant will be making 250-300K imo.

I think he gets between 800K and 1 Mil with incentives to make more.

Are we now a big time program, or just pretending to be? If he gets us to an NCAAT by his 2nd year, he should be over 1 mil just like Dan was.

If he turns out to be really good we might try and keep him around for a while.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That's like paying the new CEO of Ford $500k because he has never been CEO at Ford. The new CEO at Ford is making $23.5 Million because that is what the CEO at Ford makes. I would expect the base salary of any coach taking this job to be exactly what DH was making. If not more.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I say we offer Cox 5 years and 5 million total plus incentives.

Start at 800K and build to 1.2 million by his 5th year.

And of course the contract would be extended and enhanced if he produces.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:The coach is trying to win, whatever his salary. The reward for success is more salary. Like any other field, salary is commensurate with experience and production.
That is absolute bs TP. You think the next coach at Kentucky is making $600k? Give me a break.
Do you think the coach at Kentucky is on his first head coaching job?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Me logging onto the board and seeing people talking about hiring Rick Pitino.

theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I say we offer Cox 5 years and 5 million total plus incentives.

I would say the contract would start at what Dan was making. Plus incentives. Because Dan set the market on what coaching at URI is.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Do you think the coach at Kentucky is on his first head coaching job?
You think the CEO of Ford is on his first CEO job?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe what he was making this year....1.1 mil....they certainly won't offer 14 mil over 7 years.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I think Cox would be insulted at being offered 600K. His top assistant will be making 250-300K imo.

I think he gets between 800K and 1 Mil with incentives to make more.

Are we now a big time program, or just pretending to be? If he gets us to an NCAAT by his 2nd year, he should be over 1 mil just like Dan was.

If he turns out to be really good we might try and keep him around for a while.
I more or less agree with this, but using Hurley as a benchmark for the next coach doesn't make any sense. First of all, Hurley had won stuff, and he's been a coach at this level for eight years. There was also marketplace competition for his services. Cox's agent will know what he is worth and URI will pay that.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I say we offer Cox 5 years and 5 million total plus incentives.

I would say the contract would start at what Dan was making. Plus incentives. Because Dan set the market on what coaching at URI is.
Just saving you the time: you can start being disappointed with what we give Cox now, then. Because I can tell you with near certainty that he will not get that. He will be a rich man based on what URI pays him, but that isn't how this works. Hurley isn't even making what Ollie made at UConn, and they supposedly broke the bank to get him.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The URI job is worth at minimum what Dan was making this year. Unless expectations have changed? I certainly would not take a CEO job for less than what the last CEO was making unless the expectations were significantly reduced. So have we reduced the expectations?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Thank God this board isn't deciding what the coach gets paid... (Why does that sound familiar..?)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't understand what expectations have to do with salary? The salary formula has three inputs: the market, level of experience and level of production. Expectations are just something you pulled out of the air for the purposes of this discussion. The expectations for URI basketball are what they are and have nothing to do with the coach's salary.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I don't understand what expectations have to do with salary? The salary formula has three inputs: the market, level of experience and level of production. Expectations are just something you pulled out of the air for the purposes of this discussion. The expectations for URI basketball are what they are and have nothing to do with the coach's salary.
Do what? I'm just saying the expectations of success at URI by a URI coach is worth what DH was making. To pay a coach less than that is saying you expect less success. Just saying.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think URI will make a decision sooner than later.....does anybody know when Thorr posted the job?

I'm guessing Thursday. So the posting ends April 5th if so.

This isn't going to be dragged out. People on the inside will know pretty soon.

I'll also guess they won't interview more than 2 or 3 candidates.

I have to think Cox gets the job unless someone comes out of the woodwork and blows Thorr and Dooley away.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I think URI will make a decision sooner than later.....does anybody know when Thorr posted the job?

I'm guessing Thursday. So the posting ends April 5th if so.

This isn't going to be dragged out. People on the inside will know pretty soon.

I'll also guess they won't interview more than 2 or 3 candidates.

I have to think Cox gets the job unless someone comes out of the woodwork and blows Thorr and Dooley away.
Yeah and I'm guessing he makes over $1mil a year. Maybe $1.5.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I also don't think that some of our boosters will do what they did almost 20 years ago....insist on a candidate or else threaten to pull some of their money out of any deal for program enhancements.

Think Rick Pitino. God I hope not.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

did anyone suggest we hire Ollie? I'm being serious, we hire him and he gets his 10 mil, UConn goes down in a sea of debt, they remain stuck in the AAC, we get a coach with three post seasons and a national championship in five years, he gets us to a final four, it goes up Calhoun's ass sideways. UConn sniffs the NIT's in about three years. That's it and goodnight.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

URI'21 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:He will leave this place a pile of smoldering trash when goes he goes.
This is totally speculation. But I do agree that it is most likely he will be hired by a desperate program

exactly...his hiring would scream desperation for relevancy.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ollie had problems at UConn that go beyond a potential minor recruiting violation.

No touchy.....
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

what problems bone? please share
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Running Ram wrote:did anyone suggest we hire Ollie? I'm being serious, we hire him and he gets his 10 mil, UConn goes down in a sea of debt, they remain stuck in the AAC, we get a coach with three post seasons and a national championship in five years, he gets us to a final four, it goes up Calhoun's ass sideways. UConn sniffs the NIT's in about three years. That's it and goodnight.
Definitely not
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Ollie had problems at UConn that go beyond a potential minor recruiting violation.

No touchy.....
Weren't 'inability to recruit or coach' a couple of them?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:
URI'21 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:He will leave this place a pile of smoldering trash when goes he goes.
This is totally speculation. But I do agree that it is most likely he will be hired by a desperate program

But, nonetheless, would bring about major, increased relevancy...just sayin'....
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He's also not good at coaching, which would be my issue. If he were even adequate Dan Hurkey probably retires from URI in 25 years. Screw him.

(Although if you're reading, Kev, my offer still stands. I will work on your legal team for nothing to help you extract your rightfully earned 10.75M from corrupt ass Connecticut. Call me.)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Poor recruiter.....lazy habits......nothing dishonest or illegal he just wasn't a good fit.....I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy....actually I do know some UConn people who know what's going on to a certain extent anyway. I see them semi frequently at work.

They wanted him out quite a while ago...at least a year ago.....he was Calhoun's pick and he was making Jimbo look bad.....and then he [Ollie] went his own way and that really pissed him off.

208, he would bring a perception of impropriety with him too. We don't need that.

Carothers and Petro went big with Harrick and they knew he had issues....they took a big chance, sold their soul in a way, and for a couple of years it worked out...and then it didn't.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RIFan wrote:
URI'21 wrote:

But, nonetheless, would bring about major, increased relevancy...just sayin'....
This is like the Trump theory of any publicity is good publicity. It requires that you have no values and no shame. I don't want to be "relevant" because we are a famously corrupt coach's retirement gig. That is how you become a side show. We are one of a very small number of programs in the country that've won games in the last two NCAA tournaments, we spent the last two months of the season ranked in the national polls, we are the defending champs of one of the best non-P5 leagues in the country, and we have a legitimate good-on-a-national-level recruiting class coming in. That makes us relevant. Let some program desperate for relevance sell their soul for the last couple years of Rick Pitino's disgraced career.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Poor recruiter.....lazy habits......nothing dishonest or illegal he just wasn't a good fit.....I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy....actually I do know some UConn people who know what's going on to a certain extent anyway. I see them semi frequently at work.

They wanted him out quite a while ago...at least a year ago.....he was Calhoun's pick and he was making Jimbo look bad.....and then he [Ollie] went his own way and that really pissed him off.

208, he would bring a perception of impropriety with him too. We don't need that.

Carothers and Petro went big with Harrick and they knew he had issues....they took a big chance, sold their soul in a way, and for a couple of years it worked out...and then it didn't.
So...do the guys who know the guys think KO gets his dough? (I hope so).

For Pitino...guy says he wants to restore his rep, and has to know he'd be under a microscope...would love it. We'd be an instant contender - not just publicly/publicity relevant - the guy can COACH and recruit. UConn/PC would both be looking up at URI as long as he was here. On the other hand, I trust Thorr/Dooley to make the good hire and will just say...it's a good thing they are making the call, not this board, and if it's an open thing and possible, will be at the intro/press conference to support the new guy. :lol: :lol: (And am NOT going politix here...)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Couldn't have said it any better TP.

Pitino would promise us a rose garden if he came here.

I say it would be fool's gold.

208....yes he can coach and recruit...and he can do a whole lot of other things that wouldn't be so good.

Ollie will get some of his money.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote:did anyone suggest we hire Ollie? I'm being serious, we hire him and he gets his 10 mil, UConn goes down in a sea of debt, they remain stuck in the AAC, we get a coach with three post seasons and a national championship in five years, he gets us to a final four, it goes up Calhoun's ass sideways. UConn sniffs the NIT's in about three years. That's it and goodnight.
Sign me up for this!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ollie will end up back in the NBA as an assistant coach.

Unless he goes to a lower level D1......less likely imo
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote:Poor recruiter.....lazy habits......nothing dishonest or illegal he just wasn't a good fit.....I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy....actually I do know some UConn people who know what's going on to a certain extent anyway. I see them semi frequently at work.

It only didn’t work out because they made an inept hire afterwards. Harrick is why we have the Ryan Center - his two years should have put this program into the fast lane but we screwed ourselves with a bad hire than a safe hire. I am ok if Thorr wants to take a chance for greatness, I am ok if we are shooting for a final four.

In fact that is my big concern with Cox, does he believe we are a final four team or does he think we are stepping stone. I want our coach to believe he can win at the Highest level hear. Believing is contagious. Harrick won here with nothing.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote:

It only didn’t work out because they made an inept hire afterwards. Harrick is why we have the Ryan Center - his two years should have put this program into the fast lane but we screwed ourselves with a bad hire than a safe hire. I am ok if Thorr wants to take a chance for greatness, I am ok if we are shooting for a final four.

In fact that is my big concern with Cox, does he believe we are a final four team or does he think we are stepping stone. I want our coach to believe he can win at the Highest level hear. Believing is contagious. Harrick won here with nothing.
Yes it worked with Harrick. Ryan Center is Exhibit A.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some wild thoughts here. Leveraging the $10 million Ollie might get tops the list.

On compensation, go look at what other first time HC get even at good programs (like Xavier and VCU). They never get the same compensation as the top coach who left. Expectations are not a factor in base compensation. Thorr can offer significant bonuses based on A10 Championships and makinf the NCAA Tournament (and more for getting to week 2).

Committing to 5 years for a total of $5 million is not financially responsioble. You would go crazy if it didn’t work after two years and they had to pay him $3 million in severance.

Oats who just played in the ncaa again signed for a raise last month to get to $600k. After 3 years of HC experience.

David Cox made approximately $200k this year. You think he will be unhappy with $600k + bonuses for his first year? Really.

I believe someone suggested Cox be at $1.2-1.5 million
Greg McDermitt makes $1.3 million
Texas Teach coach (Beard $1.4 million)
Jim L (Miami) $1.5 million
Chris Mack $1.6 million
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Harrick is a move very few AD's would have made. Ron Petro did, but it was because many different factors lined up at the same time. Not to mention they screwed their "negotiations" with Skinner, and that team needed a coach badly, that was one of the most talented collection of players we have ever had, most in their senior year, just like this past year.

Ron Petro was cruising to the end of his career as well. Thorr is younger than that, his career is still building, it's still on the upswing, no way he risks his entire resume over hiring Rick Pitino or that ilk.

I do believe Harrick was a risk that succeeded and paid off some big dividends, short term. But the complete fumble after his departure is what hurt the program. People honestly believed Lamar Odom was going to put off his lottery pick an entire year to stay with Jerry D, when he wasn't even academically eligible to play anymore. They only kept him academically eligible on a wing and a prayer for that one season. It was reportedly bad, the academia involved were on the verge of revolt, it was such a farce.

Things were not like they are now. Since the hire of Baron, this has been a legitimate program, with real student athletes and real expectations. I give Baron credit for that at least. He had a low ceiling, but he at least established a foundation. I was the one who first met him at the 5th Quarter Club meeting with the infamous track suit and "maybe an NIT in 3 to 4 years" comment. Basically, his we have to grind our expectations down to a halt M.O. You know, based on what he was seeing behind the scenes when he first took the job, maybe that was a legitimate concern. It seemed like the only top recruit holdover was Woodward and the tallest guy on the team was 6'5, we couldn't even field a front court.

Make no mistake, Jerry D was hired under false pretenses, and when you do that, you get burned, big time. The Fast Break Club had that dinner with the "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" moment, which helped solidify Jerry as the "consensus" hire to "save the players". When you lie to everyone else about the reality of what is going on, it's bad, but when you lie to yourself, it's worse. You hire a guy strictly to "save the players" and then more than half of them leave anyway, it's more than just shooting yourself in the foot, you might as well take a hacksaw and cut your feet off, "Misery" style. And call yourself Stubby.

You can't blame Harrick for that. They should have just looked for an up and coming young coach and rebuilded, but no one seemed to want to admit that a rebuild was necessary, they were high off of three straight NCAA appearances and didn't want to hear it.