Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 Lithuania PF/C Rokas Gustys (Offer)

Unread post by TruePoint »

And I'm saying there may have been sibling rivalry type stuff going on, but it was nothing toxic and it was 0% why he left. In other words, if the staff were all besties and having slumber parties with each other, he was going to BC anyways. You say "issues" like they didn't get along. I've heard some things, and that is definitely not the way it was described to me.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Interesting feedback from all. I don't have any inside info so I find that all interesting. I wonder how much longer Carr is going to stay around. Unfortunately this program needs hungry coaches to be successful and from the outside he doesn't fit that mold but obviously I could be wrong.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't think Carr does much recruiting. His personality doesn't fit the type.

He's more of a coach than a recruiter.

Right now it's Dan and Luke. That's about it.

If any staff shakeup is coming, we'll know soon. Contracts for assistants expire June 30th, if they are on the one year plan, anyway.

I doubt either of them are going anywhere. We need a big time recruiter to replace PM, that much is becoming obvious.

P.S. TP. I am not privy to what issues they had, just that there were some.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Re: Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

This CIW business is tricky, especially if the head coach is a young guy. Was URI going to write that into PM's contract? I doubt it. Suppose Thorr and Dooley are gone in a few years. New leaders are 100 percent going to honor a handskake? Who knows?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Reports: Preston Murphy to Join BC staff as Assistant Co

Unread post by McRam »

McRam wrote:I just heard from a reliable source, who heard it from a reliable source, who heard it from a reliable source--

We all know about the coach at Manhatten College, Steve Masiello, who took the job at USFl, only to have it rescinded because he did not graduate from Kentucky as he had on his resume, so,

the source is saying that URI has sent over Preston's records that have been doctored, it does not show that he graduated and now there is an issue at BC on whether they should rescind their offer to Preston.

(Long Weekend!)
From my April 20 post-- so did Christian really graduate? Just wondering?
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Your April 20 post was really accurate, huh?
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Boston College
Boston College After an 8-24 finish, Steve Donahue was fired by BC. It wasn't unexpected. The Eagles had a strong run in the 2000s (seven NCAA tourney appearances from 2001-09). They also boast a list of former college standouts such as Reggie Jackson, Craig Smith, Troy Bell and Jared Dudley. But Boston is one of the most successful sports climates in America. The Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox and New England Patriots have all earned titles in the past six years. Championships are the norm for the city. An average Boston College basketball program that hasn't contended for the ACC title in years gets lost each season. Doesn't help that Boston College's hockey team has won three national titles in the past six years. Boston College basketball isn't even a top-two on its own campus.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BFC wrote:
Boston College
Boston College After an 8-24 finish, Steve Donahue was fired by BC. It wasn't unexpected. The Eagles had a strong run in the 2000s (seven NCAA tourney appearances from 2001-09). They also boast a list of former college standouts such as Reggie Jackson, Craig Smith, Troy Bell and Jared Dudley. But Boston is one of the most successful sports climates in America. The Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox and New England Patriots have all earned titles in the past six years. Championships are the norm for the city. An average Boston College basketball program that hasn't contended for the ACC title in years gets lost each season. Doesn't help that Boston College's hockey team has won three national titles in the past six years. Boston College basketball isn't even a top-two on its own campus.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10987296/looking-bad-head-coaching-jobs-college-basketball
A lot of old Big East and new Big East jobs - Boston College, Marquette, Rutgers, and Depaul in the top 10 or made (dis)honorable mention. ACC also had a lot of teams with BC, Clemson, and Florida State.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

IMHO, that article was ehh. Look at Marquette for example --- they have been a consistent tourney team, the city supports the team (average over 15k), and have a terrific basketball-related budget (strong facilities, sponsorships, salaries, etc). Outside of his little shot at the Big East (factually inaccurate, basketball schools were making less than $2 million annually, would have gone down to roughly $600K in new ESPN contract), he makes this proclamation about recruiting and how big Wisconsin recruits go to Wisconsin. My response? Who cares. Buzz Williams was a fantastic recruiter, as was Tom Crean before him. Wojo was able to keep Cohen, but his grade is obviously an incomplete. If your team is winning, and you are bringing in Top 25 recruiting classes, who cares where the players come from? Wojo could search the jungles of Ghana looking for unranked, 7'3 big men for all I care, and if they win, it doesn't matter where he found them, at least to me.

As for Boston College, IMHO his reasons are again wrong, although I agree that is a bad job. The job is not a bad job because of fan support in Boston, or because of the hockey team. It is a bad job because of the financial situation there, and how adminsitrative support is lacking. It's what got Skinner, why they ended up with Donahue, and why he never succeeded there. At least with the new staff they seemed to have given them some resources to work with, at least financially. BC fans are classic frontrunners. They go to football games when the team is good, they go to basketball games when the team is good. When the team sucks, there are other teams to root for. The same can be said for most programs, PC, URI, UCONN, etc. It's the administration which I think makes it a tough job.