David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Did I forget all the success those really talented players had before the middle of that year? Oh wait, there was none. That is the point. Not that this team is as good as that one (although arguably the Mitchells are individually more talented then Hass and Iverson). The point is it took Jeff Dowtin to bring those really talented pieces to a place where it worked.

The Mitchell's got bullied by a La Salle transfer.

Hassan would have 20 and 12 in the first half if he played against the twins.
Nevermind that Hass would've goaded them into 3 fouls a piece by the under 4 in the first half (and Cox would've kept them in).
Dowtin wouldn't need to play for that team to beat our team by 20. It's not even remotely close.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

The Mitchell's got bullied by a La Salle transfer.

Hassan would have 20 and 12 in the first half if he played against the twins.
Nevermind that Hass would've goaded them into 3 fouls a piece by the under 4 in the first half (and Cox would've kept them in).
Dowtin wouldn't need to play for that team to beat our team by 20. It's not even remotely close.
Lmao our “point guards” trying to bring the ball up against Terrell or Robinson hahahahahahah
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Lmao our “point guards” trying to bring the ball up against Terrell or Robinson hahahahahahah
Wow that would get VERY ugly
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

have we fired this guy yet for a real coach ?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago have we fired this guy yet for a real coach ?
:o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Fire it up!

Good news though - this team does have an identity.

We blow leads and lose games late.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm afraid Thorr forgot his vow to get us regularly to March Madness and will settle for mediocrity and unrealized potential.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Free Walker!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Was going to post this. How much slack does he get?
Last edited by Rhodymob05 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
Was going to post this? How much slack does he get?
None. He has no slack left. He has 1 year left on his contract.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Will you now listen to me ??

CUT BAIT
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We all know it's coming. It's pretty obvious. Who will be the next coach? Better be someone good.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox, again, reminds me of Brenden Malone.

He had talent here, which was proven when Tom Penders basically took his players and made 2 straight NCAA tourneys plus.

I'm not saying we have that much talent, but it's more than obvious that what we do have, is not being utilized properly.

Walker is becoming a star....all good teams have to have at least one go-to guy...but it's hard to go to him when he's on the bench for no reason in crunch time.

Sorry Thorr, you have to see this, and like ECR just said, cut bait or else waste the talent that we do have.

Why would Walker stay here and watch the Mitchells cost us games?

And the coach look the other way?

Defies logic, is putting it mildly.

Cox is proving game by game over 3+ years that he continues to make the same stupid mistakes.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Why has McKillop beaten Cox so much… he’s a way better coach. Are his players better, I don’t think so but he is a much better coach and that makes a huge difference. Imagine what a good coach could do with the players Cox collected. Sorry this is over please Thorr move on this is done.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago Why has McKillop beaten Cox so much… he’s a way better coach. Are his players better, I don’t think so but he is a much better coach and that makes a huge difference. Imagine what a good coach could do with the players Cox collected. Sorry this is over please Thorr move on this is done.
Not just Cox either, he beat Hurley a good amount too.

He’s just a great coach.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….any post game quotes from the coach?…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"I'm proud of our men. They played hard. The compete level was strong. We had our chances and we should be fine for our next game. I feel good where we're at and everything is trending in the right direction. My contract is solid ... I mean my team is solid."* 🤓

* Quote actually made up by PeteRI after yet another avoidable loss.
Last edited by PeteRI 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago "I'm proud of our men. They played hard. The compete level was strong. We had our chances and we should be fine for our next game. I feel good where we're at and everything is trending in the right direction. My contract is solid ... I mean my team is solid."
…….seriously?…….if accurate, I do not suggest PeteRI would post anything not accurate…….to me this shows more Coach babble, and border line clueless and situational unawareness of what is happening around him…….OMG……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I wasn't far off. Here's an actual postgame quote from Coach Complacent:

“We just came up a few plays short,” Cox said. “It was a really tough defensive game, and I was proud of the way our team played.”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago "I'm proud of our men. They played hard. The compete level was strong. We had our chances and we should be fine for our next game. I feel good where we're at and everything is trending in the right direction. My contract is solid ... I mean my team is solid."
…….seriously?…….if accurate, I do not suggest PeteRI would post anything not accurate…….to me this shows more Coach babble, and border line clueless and situational unawareness of what is happening around him…….OMG……
Mr. (section105), you've been here long enough to know I frequently take liberties with the facts for comic effect. It's a condition frequently triggered by our sadly predictable defeats. In the future I shall try to append the following emoticon to indicate sarcasm precedes it 🤓.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I wasn't far off. Here's an actual postgame quote from Coach Complacent:

“We just came up a few plays short,” Cox said. “It was a really tough defensive game, and I was proud of the way our team played.”
…….OMG, worse than I thought…….to use “proud” in an game quote with the T Mitchell costing the game is just awful…….By now you all can guess the tide has turned for me……..the coach has to go at seasons end…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

it's been a while since I have come to KBB. I opened this thread and started reading, thinking I clicked on the unread link and that I was coming to todays post game comments. starting reading and made it half way through the first page before I realized I was reading posts from a month ago.

It is scary because you all were basically saying the same exact things last month as is being said after todays game. And I know there were some saying these same things a couple years ago, but some of us (myself included) thought it was too early to toss the towel. Not too many holding the towel now.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I hate to go after someone's job but if this coach can't control a prima Donna that really doesn't add anything positive to the team's ability to win then I'm not sure I want to continue to drive an hour to each game and support him. Boo hoo for me I know, but my favorite players have always been the dirt dogs (TJ, Terrell, etc). The coach's job is to play the best players each game and discipline the players that think they are above the team. I guess it's somewhat acceptable if the team was winning because that's what we all want. But this coach can't win the big game, does not play his best players and is a joke with discipline. For a college player to have this many technicals this early in the season is unacceptable. And he isn't even that good.. cut bait thorr.. please
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..but but but……we are 9-4…….raise your hand if you want Cox to stay after this season……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Archie Miller is a good start for me

I’d take him without blinking
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

When you see your 5 man empowered to take a rebound and go coast to coast (and throw it away) in an October scrimmage you know it’s not a good situation. That doesn’t happen in good programs.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller is a good start for me

I’d take him without blinking
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Dayton Flyers (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2011–2017)
2011–12 Dayton 20–13 9–7 5th NIT First Round
2012–13 Dayton 17–14 7–9 11th
2013–14 Dayton 26–11 10–6 T–5th NCAA Division I Elite Eight
2014–15 Dayton 27–9 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2015–16 Dayton 25–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
2016–17 Dayton 24–8 15–3 1st NCAA Division I Round of 64
Dayton: 139–63 (.688) 68–34 (.667)
Indiana Hoosiers (Big Ten Conference) (2017–2021)
2017–18 Indiana 16–15 9–9 T–6th
2018–19 Indiana 19–16 8–12 9th NIT Quarterfinals
2019–20 Indiana 20–12 9–11 T–10th Postseason cancelled
2020–21 Indiana 12–15 7–12 T-10th
Indiana: 67–58 (.536) 33–45 (.423)
Total: 206–121 (.630)
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
Like it’s one thing for us on the board to bitch about stuff that we see with the team that we think Cox is missing.

But for a fan of another team who just casually follows us to be questioning these type of things…how obvious is it?

ITS THE COACHING.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It’s pretty clearly a coaching problem at this point. The talent is pretty clearly top A10 level when used correctly
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
Like it’s one thing for us on the board to bitch about stuff that we see with the team that we think Cox is missing.

But for a fan of another team who just casually follows us to be questioning these type of things…how obvious is it?

ITS THE COACHING.
Someone needs to send these GMU tweets to Thorr. STAT
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox definitely needs to go after this season !!

One of his biggest mistakes was probably promising the twins either starting jobs or a certain amount of playing time and it should cost him his job

Lack of discipline with the twins just allows them to do whatever they want
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Cox definitely needs to go after this season !!

One of his biggest mistakes was probably promising the twins either starting jobs or a certain amount of playing time and it should cost him his job

What would the team be like without the Mitchell twins? Fordham. LaSalle.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Cox definitely needs to go after this season !!

What would the team be like without the Mitchell twins? Fordham. LaSalle.
Ah always nice to hear from you - PC had a win yesterday, go on friar talk.

but.. lol what are we now?

If you played one Mitchell at a time and did what’s best for the team instead of trying to honor every recruiting commitment you made, you might be half decent.

The talent is there. This is a blatantly obvious coaching shit show.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……72,………answer, don’t know…….however with the twins and the attitude demonstrated over time, lack of disciplined play, and the Game costing T against Davidson illustrates a failure in coaching……..players have to accountable and have respect……..give me another coach who demands that as job one, period………and if that results in being Fordham etc in short team…….I can live with that
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Check out this nugget from yesterday's ProJo game recap. Clearly Thorr's PR team is working overtime to defend the indefensible:

The Rams (9-4, 0-1) return to action on Wednesday, hosting Saint Joseph’s at 7 p.m. A victory would make Cox the first URI coach to win 10 games in each of his first four seasons since Al Skinner (1988-92).
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Check out this nugget from yesterday's ProJo game recap. Clearly Thorr's PR team is working overtime to defend the indefensible:

The Rams (9-4, 0-1) return to action on Wednesday, hosting Saint Joseph’s at 7 p.m. A victory would make Cox the first URI coach to win 10 games in each of his first four seasons since Al Skinner (1988-92).
That's nothing to be proud of, Rusty.
Mobley was fouled.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow that’s terrible to even mention. 10 wins?? Look for the PA announcer to call attention to a video montage once Cox achieves this milestone.

Honestly though, that looks like something Bill Koch is highlighting independently.

EDIT: RhodyRudder found the mention in the GoRhody.com media notes. Wow that's a bad stat to be floating.

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Check out this nugget from yesterday's ProJo game recap. Clearly Thorr's PR team is working overtime to defend the indefensible:

Will there be cake? I like cake.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Wow that’s terrible to even mention. 10 wins?? Look for the PA announcer to call attention to a video montage once Cox achieves this milestone.

Honestly though, that looks like something Bill Koch is highlighting independently.
23A83596-920C-414D-B44E-F7C3C1C4D200.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

And he didn’t even need a trailer.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….is the “bar” now?……….taking segments of the season, the big picture and point to these segments of wins and say…….”see, Rhody basketball is in good hands…….”
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

The T was inexcusable, but let's not keep saying it was the reason we lost the game.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RAM67 wrote: 2 years ago The T was inexcusable, but let's not keep saying it was the reason we lost the game.
…yes……inexcusable given the point late in the game it happened, giving the gift free throws, and then was it also the next possession ?……..waiting for someone to say this T was no different from one earlier in the game…..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
RAM67 wrote: 2 years ago The T was inexcusable, but let's not keep saying it was the reason we lost the game.
…yes……inexcusable given the point late in the game it happened, giving the gift free throws, and then was it also the next possession ?……..waiting for someone to say this T was no different from one earlier in the game…..
No it was not next possession. Loyer was fouled. He got his 2 FTs plus the 2 Technical FTs

Technical was not on Makhi who was on the bench. Technical was on Makhel who was right in the action of Leggett getting mugged with no call

It was inexcusable for Leggett to get fouled and nothing called.

Leggett caught the ball he had tried to get off which is perfectly legal as a previous poster stated. One poster said this was traveling on Leggett which is incorrect - Refs made the right no call there

It is very clear that there was contact with Leggett. Refs did not call it. URI players and bench were upset as the play itself and no-call was in front of our bench.

That said would Makhel, the team and URI coaches want to take back the Technical? Yes
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Davidson was shooting FTs after the Rhody foul of the rebounder, so there was not a free possession awarded to the Cats.
Up 1, they made 3 of 4 to ice it.
Without the T they’re still up, but not by 2 possessions.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Davidson was shooting FTs after the Rhody foul of the rebounder, so there was not a free possession awarded to the Cats.
Up 1, they made 3 of 4 to ice it.
Without the T they’re still up, but not by 2 possessions.
Correct
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We need a go-to guy for crunch time. They tried to feed Mahkel but neither twin shoots fouls well enough. Leggett isn’t ready. Probably should be Shep/Walker as many others have mentioned. Nobody stepped up in crunch time that’s why we lost.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

It to me that Leggett overpenetrates a lot and gets himself in trouble. While he is stocky, I still don’t he has the size to finish through contact at the rim. I think someone mentioned this yesterday ….. he needs to pull up and take that five footer when there is a lot of traffic near the basket. He usually penetrates from the wing, so the bank shot is available. He normally doesn’t get a call when he tries to get off a shot in traffic: not just yesterday.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago We need a go-to guy for crunch time. They tried to feed Mahkel but neither twin shoots fouls well enough. Leggett isn’t ready. Probably should be Shep/Walker as many others have mentioned. Nobody stepped up in crunch time that’s why we lost.
Bingo. We should have exploited Sheppard/Loyer matchup and whoever was on Walker. I rarely see us trying to iso and exploit a plus matchup. Loyer fouled Shepp multiple times bc he couldn’t keep him in front of him. Ish shouldn’t be the end of shot clock/game guy he isn’t a big enough threat off the dribble.