A10 Outlook for 21-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 21-22

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Ramster.
I know you were touting George Mason as a sleeper and given grief from some posters about it, but you may be right.
I know it is very early but coach English looks like he has them going in the right direction.

They did lose almost all their scoring, but his new roster doesn't look bad and are taking care of business.
Center Oduro (6'9"/235) has been impressive 19.3 pts/6.3 rebs.
Schwartz looks like the top transfer in the A10 so far, 16 pts/6 rebs
Also transfers Cooper (13 pts) and Gaines (10 pts) are both starting.

I may not put them in the upper tier yet, but I like what coach English is doing.

Next game on Wed against Maryland should be fun, hope they are competitive.

My comments were made in response to a recruiting comment along the lines of why would anyone chose to go to George Mason

I thought George Mason made a good move to change coach at end of last season and another good move to pick Kim English.

English hit the ground running with transfers and retaining the players he wanted to have stay.

Most impressive to me what English has done so far are the 3 Freshmen he has recruited already for next year. Top notch players.

3 games in George Mason has the best A-10 record at 3-0:
Beat Stony Brook: favored by 4, won by 18
Beat Pennsylvania: favored by 8, won by 21
Beat Morgan State: favored by 11.5, won by 37

Tonight at Maryland: underdog by 10.5
Yes Ramster, I also didn't agree with the comments you responded to regarding GM.
Their transfers look pretty damn good, so far.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

These guys are a great follow if you are into the numbers

Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

The A10 has been such an embarrassment so far. It's painful. Dayton and VCU have really damaged the optics. The only upside to this gross start to a season is that Rhody may be one of the top teams after all.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago The A10 has been such an embarrassment so far. It's painful. Dayton and VCU have really damaged the optics. The only upside to this gross start to a season is that Rhody may be one of the top teams after all.
St. Bonaventure is the real deal, They are playing at a much different level than all the other so called upper tier A10 teams.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago The A10 has been such an embarrassment so far. It's painful. Dayton and VCU have really damaged the optics. The only upside to this gross start to a season is that Rhody may be one of the top teams after all.
Injuries have made it look a little worse than it should be. The A10 usually only has 3-4 relevant teams on a national level. SLU lost their best player, VCU lost multiple starters, and Richmond …. Well they’re just still Richmond.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There’s definitely a chance that Bona could be the only team that dances unless someone can build a resume like Richmond but they had a couple early losses
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

There is no reason that URI cannot build a resume to be an at large team or make it by winning the A 10 tournament despite their loss to Tulsa .
The opportunity is still there . I t may have to include beating both Richmond and St. Bonaventure , but that isn't out of the question because I don't
see either of those teams as being unbeatable . Uri will have to improve significantly to make it more likely though . I see many areas that the team could improve . they could do a better job of taking care of the ball , and i can forsee more offense from both Ishes , Sheppard , and both Mitchells .
We haven't seen Berry yet . Maybe he can give a surprise boost . We saw against Boston College that Walker and Martin can produce more at least
in some games . I was very disappointed by the Tulsa game , but I am now back to looking forward with optimism again.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

luke wrote: 2 years ago There is no reason that URI cannot build a resume to be an at large team or make it by winning the A 10 tournament despite their loss to Tulsa .
The opportunity is still there . I t may have to include beating both Richmond and St. Bonaventure , but that isn't out of the question because I don't
see either of those teams as being unbeatable . Uri will have to improve significantly to make it more likely though . I see many areas that the team could improve . they could do a better job of taking care of the ball , and i can forsee more offense from both Ishes , Sheppard , and both Mitchells .
We haven't seen Berry yet . Maybe he can give a surprise boost . We saw against Boston College that Walker and Martin can produce more at least
in some games . I was very disappointed by the Tulsa game , but I am now back to looking forward with optimism again.
I see a "Lucy holds the football for Charlie Brown" analogy here.....
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………maybe, there will be no doubt be some team to emerge and over achieve, example Mason?……hey, why not us?……..holding steady here with staying positive……..other than Bona, who else is a near lock to contend for the top……..I would say no one……..coaching up the teams up into contention is key………we will see if we have that…….go Rhody…..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Injuries have made it look a little worse than it should be. The A10 usually only has 3-4 relevant teams on a national level. SLU lost their best player, VCU lost multiple starters, and Richmond …. Well they’re just still Richmond.
Richmond's loss to Utah State at a neutral site, might not end up being that bad.
Utah State recently beat a very tough New Mexico State team and an always good Oklahoma team.
Also, no disgrace in losing to Drake in Iowa.

I think Richmond will get it together and Mooney will end up keeping his job.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Richmond's loss to Utah State at a neutral site, might not end up being that bad.
Utah State recently beat a very tough New Mexico State team and an always good Oklahoma team.

I guess I'm ignoring some of the injuries which isn't fair. But it's part of the game unfortunately. The A10 needs to step it up now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Richmond is a senior laden team.

If Mooney doesn't get them to the Dance this year, he's as good as gone.

VCU and Dayton will improve as the season goes along. Lots of new faces.

If we want to compete then we will have to also.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

I guess I'm ignoring some of the injuries which isn't fair. But it's part of the game unfortunately. The A10 needs to step it up now.
On the bright side GM is playing well and Davidson should be okay despite their 2 not so bad losses.
Jury is still out on us this season.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are a little better than I thought we’d be coming into the season . I see lots of improvements over last year

If I could redo my prediction I would up the wins from 19-12 to 21-10
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

It's too bad Mason lost last night. We needed that W.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago It's too bad Mason lost last night. We needed that W.
In the tight loss to Washington, Oduro (GM) had a huge game 21 pts.9 rebs.
He has started the season strong and is one of the top bigs in the A10.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GMU has lost two straight games each by three points. Close tough losses by the slimmest of margins.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

GMU playing a struggling Nevada team today
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

GMU may be decent, but close loses are meaningless on selection Sunday.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They got torched by Reno 88-69
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Well the nice thing is none of this matters.

See you in Brooklyn…on Thursday.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What an ugly start to the season for the A10 (except of course for the Bonnies).

Rhody's Florida trip has been a huge disappointment, capped off by a terrible loss to FGCU.

As I said in the spring, we need to see this program moving in the right direction. Can't really say I see that now.

Anyway, I am probably still too upset and emotional about the result of last night's game, so I need a little time to settle down and take it all in.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU won v Cuse and STL gonna win

I think the 4 best are Bona Rich STL and VCU

I think we are in the 5-7 range
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago VCU won v Cuse and STL gonna win

I think the 4 best are Bona Rich STL and VCU

I think we are in the 5-7 range
Currently, I would also put Davidson ahead of us in the top 5.
Their 2 losses at San Francisco and New Mexico State certainly not as bad as ours at FGCU (I am still not over that one).
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some big games for the A10 Thanksgiving Day

VCU vs #6 Ranked Baylor (-12.5) Bad Boy Mowers Atlantis 5pm ESPN - Huge Upset Opportunity for the Rams

Maryland (-1) vs Richmond Bahamas

Southern Cal (-18) vs St Joseph's Wooden Legacy

Loyola of Chicago (-1) vs #19 Ranked Auburn @ Bad Boy Mowers Atlantis

Dayton @ Miami (-5.5)

St Joseph's vs #24 Ranked Southern California in Anaheim Wooden Classic
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

:(
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Some big games for the A10 Thanksgiving Day

VCU vs #6 Ranked Baylor (-12.5) Bad Boy Mowers Atlantis

Loyola of Chicago (-1) vs Auburn @ Bad Boy Mowers Atlantis

Dayton @ Miami (-5.5)
Yes, good lineup.

Especially looking forward to Richmond/Maryalnd at 7:00 pm CBS Sports Net.

Auburn still without their star player Allen Flanigan (4th top returning scorer in the SEC)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we finish 5-7 in conference I will be surprised. That's fifth to seventh place I mean.

8-10 is more like it.

We have top 6 talent, but.....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago :(

Dayton @ Miami (-5.5)
Yes, good lineup.

Auburn still without their star player Allen Flanigan (4th top returning scorer in the SEC)
VCU could pull the upset over #6 Baylor at 5pm ESPN
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If we finish 5-7 in conference I will be surprised. That's fifth to seventh place I mean.

8-10 is more like it.

We have top 6 talent, but.....
Mason looks like the wild card to me. If everything breaks right, I could see them finishing fourth or fifth. It also wouldn’t shock me if they finish ninth or tenth.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago :(

Dayton @ Miami (-5.5)
Yes, good lineup.

VCU could pull the upset over #6 Baylor at 5pm ESPN
I guess that is possible Ramster, but unlikely.

The guard play at VCU is still a concern. Nunn is very young and I thought Tsohonis would make more of an impact than he is showing.
I guess the veteran Curry is playing solid.

So far Williams is the leader as expected. I am a little disappointed In Ward's stats so far, they should improve.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I will be shocked if VCU doesn’t get annihilated today. They can really struggle to score and Baylor’s defense is stout.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with BAR, the line is Baylor -12 I’d be quite shocked if VCU wins this game Baylor not gonna be confused with their havoc
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think Dayton has found their PG in freshman Malachi Smith.
He is lightning fast and making an immediate impact since being inserted in the starting lineup, replacing transfer Kobe Elvis.
Malachi is also the brother of former Dayton star Scoochie Smith who took them to 4 NCAAT under Archie.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I think Dayton has found their PG in freshman Malachi Smith.
He is lightning fast and making an immediate impact since being inserted in the starting lineup, replacing transfer Kobe Elvis.
Malachi is also the brother of former Dayton star Scoochie Smith who took them to 4 NCAAT under Archie.
Scoochie! One of my all time favorite names, and a heck of a player, too. If I remember correctly, one of those teams went on a run to the Elite Right playing basically six guys.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Watch out for Jordan Nesbitt who was a Top 50 player, went to Memphis and now has returned to hometown St Louis.
Nesbitt is now in the starting line up and can be an explosive scorer and rebounder.

https://www.a10talk.com/2021-top-50-rec ... -st-louis/
Absolutely Ramster
Nesbitt will be a star and should be the heir apparent to Perkins.
Surprised Oregon transfer Okoro (center) didn't start, there is big expectations for him. They decided to go small with only big Linssen starting.
Also transfer Rashad Williams and soph. Thatch should add good depth at guard.
Nesbitt went straight to starting when Perkins went out. He will be a star for St Louis this year.
So far SLU is the only A10 team without an unexpected loss.
They are 6-1, losing only to Memphis.
The have balanced scoring with 4 starters averaging double digits and Yuri just behind with 9 pts.
Nesbitt filling in admirably for the injured Perkins.
The tougher part of their schedule is coming up, so we will get a better indication of how good they are.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I actually feel the A10 will still get 2 teams to the NCAAT this season.

After thinking about it, I have my doubts about the Bonnies winning the A10T
I think they should win the regular season and will probably be good enough for an at large bid.
Just don't feel they can win 3 games in 3 days.
Their starters have played over 176 mins, the player's averaging just over 35 mins.
That is much more than any other team in our conference, feeling all the wear and tear will catch up with them.
I also feel that as the season goes along the gap will narrow at the top of the A10.

I do think that they have more talent on their roster than last year, but Schmidt doesn't like to use his bench much.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Didn't you just a couple months back think the A10 would land 3 and maybe 4 teams this year? That the top teams had a lot of experience coming back?

I'd say it's a 1 bid league, only way 2 bids is of St Bonaventure gets knocked off in the A10 Tournament. Or is some team gets hot and runs up a strong record to grab the #1 spot away from St Bonaventure - which could happen.

Today's rankings do not show the A10 getting 2 spots - not even close, unless Loyola of Chicago is included in the selection process. Loyola with a 30 Ranking is better than all 14 A10 Teams. Never understood why some didn't want them in the A10.

KenPom today:

34-St Bonaventure (5-1)
73-Richmond (3-4)
80-URI (5-2)
81-Davidson (4-2)
91-Saint Louis (6-1)
94-VCU (3-4)
107-Dayton (4-3)
117-UMASS (5-3)
142-George Mason (4-4)
193-Duquesne (3-4)
218-St Joseph's (3-3)
231-Fordham (5-3)
235-LaSalle (2-3)
251-George Washington (2-6)

30-Loyola of Chicago (5-2)
166-Harvard (5-2)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Didn't you just a couple months back think the A10 would land 3 and maybe 4 teams this year? That the top teams had a lot of experience coming back?

I'd say it's a 1 bid league, only way 2 bids is of St Bonaventure gets knocked off in the A10 Tournament. Or is some team gets hot and runs up a strong record to grab the #1 spot away from St Bonaventure - which could happen.

Today's rankings do not show the A10 getting 2 spots - not even close, unless Loyola of Chicago is included in the selection process. Loyola with a 30 Ranking is better than all 14 A10 Teams. Never understood why some didn't want them in the A10.

KenPom today:

34-St Bonaventure (5-1)
73-Richmond (3-4)
80-URI (5-2)
81-Davidson (4-2)
91-Saint Louis (6-1)
94-VCU (3-4)
107-Dayton (4-3)
117-UMASS (5-3)
142-George Mason (4-4)
193-Duquesne (3-4)
218-St Joseph's (3-3)
231-Fordham (5-3)
235-LaSalle (2-3)

166-Harvard (5-2)
I did say that Ramster and I felt early on that the A10 can get 3 teams in.

But I also said that after Perkins went out for SLU and the injuries to VCU, that I lowered my expectations for the A10.

Still, I am somewhat disappointed at how our conference started the season, especially Richmond.

It is still early so let's see how things play out.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Surprised the FGCU didn't burn us as bad as we thought.
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Surprised the FGCU didn't burn us as bad as we thought.
They're not as bad as they looked in the first half vs Rhody (nor are they as good as they looked in the second half).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Looks like the Bonnies got bounced from the Top 25.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Didn't you just a couple months back think the A10 would land 3 and maybe 4 teams this year? That the top teams had a lot of experience coming back?

KenPom today:

34-St Bonaventure (5-1)
73-Richmond (3-4)
80-URI (5-2)
81-Davidson (4-2)
91-Saint Louis (6-1)
94-VCU (3-4)
107-Dayton (4-3)
117-UMASS (5-3)
142-George Mason (4-4)
193-Duquesne (3-4)
218-St Joseph's (3-3)
231-Fordham (5-3)
235-LaSalle (2-3)

166-Harvard (5-2)

But I also said that after Perkins went out for SLU and the injuries to VCU, that I lowered my expectations for the A10.

Still, I am somewhat disappointed at how our conference started the season, especially Richmond.

I thought you said at least 3 and possibly 4 teams could get in and that the A10 was strong this year with so many returning players. I have been thinking 1 A10 Team and an outside chance of 2 A10 Teams if St Bonaventure were to falter and lose the Championship Game and the team they would lose to would need to be a Maximum NET of 50 or better. Probably need to be 45 or better. Losing Perkins didn't matter to me because it's likely Dayton, VCU, Richmond, Davidson, St Louis......... or my hope URI that can unseat St Bonaventure in the Championship Game. Odds of that are slim. Right now Ken Pom has the A10's 2nd best Ranking of a weak 73 - that will not get a 2nd A10 at large Invitation.

Some Bracketologists already show the A10 with only 1 team making the NCAA this year. I hope we get 2.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Looks like the Bonnies got bounced from the Top 25.
yeah

Bonnies were 10.5 point favorites playing on their Home Court in Olean NY

Bonnies lost by 90-80 for a 20.5 point gap in the point spread vs actual results. Northern Iowa was 1-3 going into the game having lost to Nichols, Vermont and #16 Arkansas. They beat Dubuque.

Can't lose to teams like that on your home court and expect to stay ranked.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

It really is way too early to talk about how many bids the A10 will get. I mean we are still in November! Still lots of OOC games left and you never know how all of the conferences will shake out.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KenPom today:

34-St Bonaventure (5-1)
73-Richmond (3-4)
80-URI (5-2)
81-Davidson (4-2)
91-Saint Louis (6-1)
94-VCU (3-4)
107-Dayton (4-3)
117-UMASS (5-3)
142-George Mason (4-4)
193-Duquesne (3-4)
218-St Joseph's (3-3)
231-Fordham (5-3)
235-LaSalle (2-3)

166-Harvard (5-2)

I thought you said at least 3 and possibly 4 teams could get in and that the A10 was strong this year with so many returning players. I have been thinking 1 A10 Team and an outside chance of 2 A10 Teams if St Bonaventure were to falter and lose the Championship Game and the team they would lose to would need to be a Maximum NET of 50 or better. Probably need to be 45 or better. Losing Perkins didn't matter to me because it's likely Dayton, VCU, Richmond, Davidson, St Louis......... or my hope URI that can unseat St Bonaventure in the Championship Game. Odds of that are slim. Right now Ken Pom has the A10's 2nd best Ranking of a weak 73 - that will not get a 2nd A10 at large Invitation.

Some Bracketologists already show the A10 with only 1 team making the NCAA this year. I hope we get 2.
Yeah was thinking 3 with an outside chance of 4.
But much has happened with the injuries and bad early losses.

My original thinking was the Bonnies and Richmond finishing 1/2.
I thought VCU and SLU also possibly getting in, injuries may have derailed that.
I knew Dayton was young, but they are very talented and was experiencing some growing pains.

Yes, I was very optimistic about the A10, things change, which is why I don't gamble.
I still think we are a strong Mid-Major conference and adding Loyola just makes it that much better.

Many times when you make early predictions, much can go wrong. Shame on me.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

The conference is not helping itself in the early going. That is where multiple bids are made.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The conference hasn't helped itself for several years inn the early going. That is why we are at 1 bid, possibly 2 for last year and again this year. In addition we have not done well in the NCAA Tournament in recent years either.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Need to schedule like the Tarleton Texans... Kansas, Wichita, Michigan and Stanford already...with the 'zags on tap for tonight (just to stay in shape)
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

The first week or so was awful for the A10, but last week was a big step up with some nice nationally televised wins over P5s. It's just way too early to know how it will play out. I don't understand having this discussion now. Bracketology in November (and December/January) is stupid second-rate entertainment. Reconvene and see where teams stand in 3 weeks. Just my opinion.