Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Unread post by TruePoint »

This Ben should post more. Think you hit it on the head in all respects, Ben.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

TruePoint wrote:This Ben should post more. Think you hit it on the head in all respects, Ben.
Thanks. Only sharing my thoughts.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Great post, Ben.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:The funny thing, GBG, is that anyone who really looked into it, could see that these guys weren't going to set the world on fire here or anywhere else.

Their numbers sucked. Yes, they played limited minutes, but WHY did they play limited minutes?

There's your answer in black and white. They just weren't that good.

I had hopes for Gil though. He does have easily the most talent of the bunch, but his head clearly wasn't on straight at times last year, of course through no fault of his own.

Dan brought them in because he could. He had ties to them, and they wanted more minutes, and in Gil's case he wanted out of Rutgers and who could blame him?

He needed bodies to fill a roster. Maybe he though they would improve more than they did? If that's truly the case, well that's a crapshoot anyway.
Nobody on this Board ever said that Dan just needed bodies to fill the roster. You among many were raving about how great this eyar's team was going to be predicting 22 wins and many others above that. Fact is that these guys were not as advertised, they could not possibly have been killing the starting 5 in practices, most did not have good numbers.............so to say now like everyone knew that Dan was just filling the roster is just crap...............just making excuses for Hurley.
I said before the season started that Mike Powell should not be starting or playing - so how did htis group of Coaches go with him for so long before they inevitably decided he was not as good as they thought?
In fact, many on this board questioned me repeatedly about Powell saying EC or TJ could not play PG................well they played it better than Powell obviously.

Never ever did I read a post by anyone here that these guys were simply roster filling guys................easy to say that now.
Just admit that they were not as good as we all thought.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ramster, I had my doubts about them from the time they were brought in....I among others bought in to the Hurley hype...should have known better.

Nothing is easy when it comes to this program, Hurley or no Hurley.

At least now, things seem to be on the upswing finally....of course Preston's leaving doesn't help, but if we get Gustys and Cooke it negates his loss in the short term.

For the long term, who Dan hires to replace PM is all important of course.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramblinrose wrote:I get a sense some of those chirping about Preston's promotion two weeks ago are now downplaying his success today.
Not only downplaying it but insinuating that anyone who questions the gap between the pay increase from $79k to $135k and the announcement of the promotion to assistant head coach on April 2 as being irrational and traitors to the administration.
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Great post, Ben.
Thanks.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Yup, lots of revisionism happening.
As for Davis, let's see, the guy who recruited him isn't here anymore.
Michigan, Michigan State , Kentucky and Ohio State are among the iron recruiting him
Yeah, we have a chance. Let's send one of our non D1- playing
guys to just reel him in.
What a joke.
This is absurd. Michigan and Michigan State are in there! Might as well give up. He isn't Lebron. He is a top 50 guy. Arizona, Georgetown, Louisville, Kentucky offered the #14 guy in 2014. Good coaches, huh? Isaiah Whitehead chose Kevin Willard and Seton Hall. Hurley was exciting as a hire because he would have the cache to go big game hunting. Giving up because of the competition is so weak it's hard to put into words. Again, I hope the staff doesn't feel like this. I'm sick of getting excited when the last good guy on board says yes after thirty others say no.
So here is jalen Adams, ranked #46 espn who we have recruited for two years now. Offers from Maryland, Minnesota, Creighton, Connecticut, georgia tech, providence and uri. Naturally that list will grow since he us class of 2015. Are we now supposed to drop out of recruiting Adams because he is ranked too high for us? Why would anyone come to uri when all these other schools are much better than us? Preston was the lead recruiter on him for two years so no chance for us now?

The state of Rhode Island inferiority complex I was born with and even have to frequently fight off myself surfaces.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

TruePoint wrote:This Ben should post more. Think you hit it on the head in all respects, Ben.
Hey Ben, good summary. Agree totally.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Look, you're not going to get anyone as far as recruiting top-flight talent from the '15-'18 classes if you're not out there recruiting them and building relationships. These are the things that Luke Murray is supposed to be doing. I've seen URI mentioned with a number of prospects -- not all Preston Murphy's -- who are apparently superb athletes and good-to-excellent students.
GO FOR THE BEST TO BECOME THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!
I realize people hate reading about PC, but what-the-hell is PC without Ed Cooley????
Nothing.
He doesn't care if he's going up against UConn, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, Georgetown UCLA, or whatever other school is involved with a prospective student-athlete. What happens to them after they've committed is another story….
If one's behavior is with respect to recruiting acting out an inferiority complex, well, you'll get nothing and the program will be inferior forever.
I don't have forever. Neither does Coach Hurley and Company. I'm pretty sure he won't settle for inferior or mediocre.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:Look, you're not going to get anyone as far as recruiting top-flight talent from the '15-'18 classes if you're not out there recruiting them and building relationships. These are the things that Luke Murray is supposed to be doing. I've seen URI mentioned with a number of prospects -- not all Preston Murphy's -- who are apparently superb athletes and good-to-excellent students.
GO FOR THE BEST TO BECOME THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!
I realize people hate reading about PC, but what-the-hell is PC without Ed Cooley????
Nothing.
He doesn't care if he's going up against UConn, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, Georgetown UCLA, or whatever other school is involved with a prospective student-athlete. What happens to them after they've committed is another story….
If one's behavior is with respect to recruiting acting out an inferiority complex, well, you'll get nothing and the program will be inferior forever.
I don't have forever. Neither does Coach Hurley and Company. I'm pretty sure he won't settle for inferior or mediocre.
And jim Harrick didn't care either. Same school and he had keaney gym to work with. Great coaches figure out a way.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

All the staff needs to do is point to EC and Hassan and say this could be you. Those guys were awesome by the end of last year and should be even better next season.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jim Harrick also took over a program that was very good and was regularly going to the tournament. Hurley had a much tougher sell than Harrick did.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rl, good point, and I'm sure Dan Hurley does NOT have an inferiority complex.

That is all that counts in the big picture.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Do any of you have a clue on recruiting?
If you think we can go after the Okafors of the world then it's total
arrogance.
Sometimes a school will luck out if they have a special relationship with a
player, or as Seton Hall did, hire his coach, or hire a parent, as has happened
at times elsewhere.
I'd rather not waste our small recruiting budget chasing people we won't have a prayer at getting.
How many four stars did Mark Few, Shaka Smart or Brad Steven have?
They won or win with three star guys who they coach up.
You guys talk like EC Matthews is the type of player we always recruit.
Wrong. He's the exception, not the rule. Preston was on him for years, and he had a great
relationship with Nate Oates.
Jim Harrick was big time with a ring and a string of NBA players, to impress recruits.
Dan is not in that league. He has NBA players he coached as a high school coach.
Nice, but not the same.
This notion that we can go after anyone is a joke. You can win with three star players,
and odds are, they'll stay longer.
Nobody recruiting Doug McDermott. Nobody recruited Bryce Cotton.
How'd they work out?
If you start to win, recruiting higher on the totem pole becomes easier.
Then you can go after four star guys, and tell them they can go to a
tournament.
Right now, Dan and company are selling their dreams to recruits.
It's a much tougher sell.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

When you list Bryce Cotton or Doug McDermott, please take the time to list the similarly rated 10,000 players who ending up not having a single moment's impact on the college level. I have never been a slave to ratings. Just one piece of the puzzle. I prefer to look at offer lists. What coaches have seen a kid and thought he was good enough for their program. I don't think we should offer the entire top 50. There is a finite amount of time and money. But, I think we should be able to identify a handful of top 75 guys every year and go after them. Hard. If you think they are too big time for Rhody, well, we just have a different way of looking at things. PS Davis is not Okafor. Straw man. Top 50 guys will go to A10 type schools (highest of mid major type schools). Semaj Christian was #31. Katin Reinhardt was #39. UNLV. Houston. Fresno. It's just crazy to think that this staff can't identify a few top 50 fits every year and go after them. You think Hurley was hired because he was Tex Winters with Xs and Os? Have you seen the end of the games? The fanbase was excited because we thought he would be a guy that wouldn't be afraid to go into anyone's living room and sell them on Rhody.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Do any of you have a clue on recruiting?
Haha oh man Rod, sometimes I think you take the "voice in the wilderness" comment made about you too seriously sometimes.

Agree with GBG (that was weird to type), we don't need to print out the top20 lists and say "there's our targets," but I would absolutely try to latch on to 2-3 guys like Terrell early on in their HS careers, and hope that you land one of them every few years - a guy who projects to be a real program-changer. This in addition to maintaining "normal" recruiting.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I take a realistic view of who we are, what our resources are
and what's needed to win.
Michigan State never went after top guys, instead winning with guys who
generally stayed around and grew.
"In the past two years, Izzo went hard after some of the top recruits in the country. This was a change in philosophy for Izzo, and there were some unusual circumstances, but he recruited the kinds of players that normally go to Duke or Kentucky or Kansas, with the hope that his program was finally on that level. He lost them all -- mostly to Duke, Kentucky and Kansas."
So, Tom Izzo can't get these guys, but you want us to go after them? Yeah, that'll work.
Terrell? As soon as a BCS school with toys came calling late in the game, we became an afterthought.
So much time and effort put into one player, going after him "hard", being on him for years. when time and effort could have
gone into recruitment of other players.
I'm not going to take the Tim O'Shea approach and say," nobody wants to come to URI", as an excuse for failure.
There are plenty of good players out there. Staff needs to talent evaluate . That's a big part of the job.
Tyson Wheeler was a late spring signee, waiting for UConn to recruit him. Same with Ryan Gomes at PC.
Nobody recruited a skinny, gawky looking kid from Waterbury, Ct named Kenny Green. Tommy Garrick had few D-1 offers,
Cat Mobley was a prop 48 who Al took a chance on.
We got Silk Owens, because Brendan Malone had recruited him for years at Syracuse, who
were loaded at point guard, and came here when Malone was hired.
We're not where we were, when Jim Harrick could circle kids on a list and seriously have a chance
at getting.
He had a team that went to four straight tournaments and three straight NCAAs.
Dan is working from the rubble he inherited. Big difference.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Michigan State.

2002: Paul Davis-Five Stars
2003: Shannon Brown -Five Stars
2004: Marquise Gray-Five Stars

All those guys played in at least one Final Four. Those aren't top 50 guys. Those are five star guys. Shannon Brown was the #3 recruit in the country. If I had time I would post all of the four stars in the last decade plus. If anything, he might stay away from the one and dones. Or, maybe, the one and dones would rather go someplace else. I'm pretty sure if Andrew Wiggins came knocking last year, they would find a scholarship for him.

Also, how much time are we really talking about? These guys have the time. They aren't working the double shift at the coal mine. And, all these guys run the same circuits. You go see a dozen kids at a time in these showcase events. Identify a handful of guys every year who seem like elite kids but four year kids. And take a freaking swing. You might just hit it. As for Terrell, many people thought he was Rhody bound basically up until the last second. Afterthought is just not true.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cherry pick much? Three guys in his whole career and not ONE in
10 years!
Sure, if they think for whatever reason that they may have a real shot
at a big time guy, why not?
It just can't be the bulk of their recruiting, because it's a high wire act.
Most of the time we'll be on the ground, if we do that.
I'm just saying you can't predicate URI's recruiting on only targeting 4 or 5 star players.
Larry Brown can pull these guys into a usually crappy program, because
he's Larry Brown.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Nope. Just stopped there. Delvin Roe was a Five star in 2008. Adrien Payne was a Five Star (and a monster this year when he played) in 2010. Brandon Dawson was a Five Star in 2011. Gary Harris was a Five Star in 2012. I bet Mateen Cleeves, Zach randolph, and Jason Richardson (McD AA) were stud recruits. Richardson and Cleeves won a title. I can list the Four stars who were top 75 but I wouldn't want to cherry pick.....

The original conversation was around giving up on a guy like Eric Davis because the big boys were sniffing around. You said we should give up because we have no shot. I continue to hope this is not how the staff thinks.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Top 150 is a lot when the top 30 programs may only take 3 guys each...... Little URI math, 90 guys. Leaves 60 guys or 110 if you extend it to the top 200. It's not crazy to always have a top 150 and the rest at least top 200 level.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

And michigan state plays ooc games on air craft carriers, George mason buys games with us. No comparison.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Michigan St. reminds me some of Florida. Both teams get their share of great players, but also recruit the "little" guys as well. Florida had guys like Scottie Wilbekin running the point, think he was a 3-star player? Mike Frazier was another big part, borderline Top 100 player. Will Yugeute - 3 star. Sure they had guys who were 5-star players (Chris Walker, Patric Young, Dorian Finney-Smith, Kasey Hill), but that wasn't their whole roster. Michigan St. has a ton of Top 100 players. But how did their Top 8 players rank this season? Gary Harris - 16. Denzel Valentine - 88. Keith Appling - 34. Adreian Payne - 27. Travis Trice - 3 star (Final 5 - Mich St., Dayton, Butler, Northwestern, Minnesota). Branden Dawson - 17. Matt Costello - 86. Kenny Kaminsky - 98. Good players? Of course. The best? No way.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote: Terrell? As soon as a BCS school with toys came calling late in the game, we became an afterthought.
So much time and effort put into one player, going after him "hard", being on him for years. when time and effort could have
gone into recruitment of other players.
That's why I said you go after a few of them every year, and hope that every 2-3 years (every 8-12 times you try), one of them picks URI. The majority will not. Doesn't mean you don't keep trying, and certainly you keep recruiting for the rest of the roster as well.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Michigan St. reminds me some of Florida. Both teams get their share of great players, but also recruit the "little" guys as well. Florida had guys like Scottie Wilbekin running the point, think he was a 3-star player? Mike Frazier was another big part, borderline Top 100 player. Will Yugeute - 3 star. Sure they had guys who were 5-star players (Chris Walker, Patric Young, Dorian Finney-Smith, Kasey Hill), but that wasn't their whole roster. Michigan St. has a ton of Top 100 players. But how did their Top 8 players rank this season? Gary Harris - 16. Denzel Valentine - 88. Keith Appling - 34. Adreian Payne - 27. Travis Trice - 3 star (Final 5 - Mich St., Dayton, Butler, Northwestern, Minnesota). Branden Dawson - 17. Matt Costello - 86. Kenny Kaminsky - 98. Good players? Of course. The best? No way.
Now that we have swung into an MSU conversation (not a bad one to have, FWIW), you know who offered Jahlil Okafor. And jabari Parker last year. And countless other top 10 guys over the last yen years? Michigan State. Tom Izzo wants these guys but you can't get all of the elite to come to freaking East Lansing. He gets the studs he can (which have been many) and has done a great job evaluating the three and four star guys when he has to step down a level. It's obviously worked for him. You end up getting more three and four year players than Kentucky. But, let's not pretend it's entirely Izzo's plan. He wants lock NBA guys as much as anyone.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

What happened to your "think big we do" preaching Rod? The point isn't to just go after those premier guys, but to pin point a few that fit into our system and needs and take a shot on them.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sure, Izzo aims high and usually winds up getting slightly lower level players, but
ones that he needs who are good enough to keep winning. He's a great coach.
You have to look for specific "ins" with that type of highly rated player.
Relatives, coaches, friends who play in the program, type of factors.
People within pipelines. Preston got EC, but while he was recruiting him,
he also was recruiting others in the Michigan area. It wasn't like he was
exclusively going after one guy. If he flew to Detroit, it was for multiple players,
not just EC.
Garrett and Terrell were in MA, so it was easy to make constant face to face
contact with those players.
Work smart and not run in circles. I think Preston in CA, Memphis, and Arizona was
chasing his tail in some cases. The only guy he got from those trips was Butler,
but he sure added to his frequent flier miles.
Ramster, try reading what I've written.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Gonebarongone wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Michigan St. reminds me some of Florida. Both teams get their share of great players, but also recruit the "little" guys as well. Florida had guys like Scottie Wilbekin running the point, think he was a 3-star player? Mike Frazier was another big part, borderline Top 100 player. Will Yugeute - 3 star. Sure they had guys who were 5-star players (Chris Walker, Patric Young, Dorian Finney-Smith, Kasey Hill), but that wasn't their whole roster. Michigan St. has a ton of Top 100 players. But how did their Top 8 players rank this season? Gary Harris - 16. Denzel Valentine - 88. Keith Appling - 34. Adreian Payne - 27. Travis Trice - 3 star (Final 5 - Mich St., Dayton, Butler, Northwestern, Minnesota). Branden Dawson - 17. Matt Costello - 86. Kenny Kaminsky - 98. Good players? Of course. The best? No way.
Now that we have swung into an MSU conversation (not a bad one to have, FWIW), you know who offered Jahlil Okafor. And jabari Parker last year. And countless other top 10 guys over the last yen years? Michigan State. Tom Izzo wants these guys but you can't get all of the elite to come to freaking East Lansing. He gets the studs he can (which have been many) and has done a great job evaluating the three and four star guys when he has to step down a level. It's obviously worked for him. You end up getting more three and four year players than Kentucky. But, let's not pretend it's entirely Izzo's plan. He wants lock NBA guys as much as anyone.
Of course, but he can also coach up players better than nearly anyone in the nation. While he may go after few 5-star players, I don't think he sells out like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and others. He isolates a few he wants, works to get them, and tries to build the rest of his roster with other talented players who fit the system. That's what Billy Donovan does. They work to build a team, and not necessarily an all-star one.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

We are pretty close to saying the same thing with the exception of isolating Donovan and Izzo from the likes of K and Self. I think the only isolation is Kentucky. Donovan's last five recruits are three 5 stars and two four stars. Patric Young, on this year's team, was another five star. Bradley Beal was a five star and should have been on this team. What separates Izzo and Donovan is that they are very good at identifying the guys from 50-100 and coaching them up. I am not sure Self can do it. Coach K, frankly, has been sort of shaky at it. Although I am sure there are some notable exceptions over 30 years. So, I don't get the idea that Donovan and Izzo don't "sell out" for elite guys. They get them. And they would take more. It's just that when they don't they are amongst the very best at filling out the rest of the roster. And then certainly in the top 5 of game prep and in game coaching.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rod - I think you have to be involved somewhere near the top of every class and seriously involved. The reality is that recruits see who you are recruiting. If you are only recruiting at the the 100 to 200 level guys know you probably aren't going to be great. Also if you go on the idea that you recruit on a range and the majority of guys you actually sign are coming from the middle of the range it makes sense to take some shots above your range and sometimes settle a little below.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

You can win games without Top 100 players. You can be a NCAA Tournament team without Top 100 players. You can win significant amount of tournament games without Top 100 players. But in today's game, if you want to compete for Final Fours and significant tourney runs consistently, while it's possible to make it without Top 100 players, the odds are stocked against you. 7 of the last 8 Final Four teams had at least 3 Top 100 recruits. But FWIW, the 8th was Witchita St, who had 0.

Your last 5 National Champions:

'14 - UCONN (5)
'13 - Louisville (6)
'12 - Kentucky (8)
'11 - UCONN (6)
'10 - Duke (9)

While I suppose it's possible to become VCU or Butler or Gonzaga (who has even had 6 Top 100 players '04-'13 plus Top 100 transfers), it's more likely to be the other guys.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think you get on kids early who can play.....when they blow up maybe they remember who was there from the beginning....most don't as they get swayed by the brighter lights of the BCS schools.....but you may get lucky once every recruiting cycle.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Sure, Izzo aims high and usually winds up getting slightly lower level players, but
ones that he needs who are good enough to keep winning. He's a great coach.
You have to look for specific "ins" with that type of highly rated player.
Relatives, coaches, friends who play in the program, type of factors.
People within pipelines. Preston got EC, but while he was recruiting him,
he also was recruiting others in the Michigan area. It wasn't like he was
exclusively going after one guy. If he flew to Detroit, it was for multiple players,
not just EC.
Garrett and Terrell were in MA, so it was easy to make constant face to face
contact with those players.
Work smart and not run in circles. I think Preston in CA, Memphis, and Arizona was
chasing his tail in some cases. The only guy he got from those trips was Butler,
but he sure added to his frequent flier miles.
Ramster, try reading what I've written.
I read what you wrote. We disagree on Davis. I think we were just fine going after a kid like him. We were on him for two full years.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Off topic, but I sent Thorr an email saying I have the utmost confidence they'll find a great replacement for Preston and that I believe the future of Rhody hoops is bright...he called my work line 20 minutes later thanking me for the email and we got the chance talk for a little bit.

Random things discussed:
1. I mentioned that I'd love a home and home with a Chicago team (where I live now). He said he'd love to get something setup in the area...mentioned a pretty strong alum base out here and said DePaul would be a perfect fit (also mentioned being close with the Chicago State AD).
2. Excited for Davidson addition and the new 18 game A10 schedule
3. Talked about the URI golf bags...love them and need one. He's looking into it haha

Awesome to see he takes the time out of his day to reach out to those that love the program. Top notch AD at building relationships.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

104, did he give any hint on how close we are to hiring a replacement for Preston?
Slava Ukraini!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Nope...I didn't exactly ask any tough questions though. I was surprised to receive the call at work.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Haven't been on the boards in quite some time (baseball season now on my mind), but I saw that Sparty has been brought into the conversation. As a fan of them as long as Rhody, I can say a lot of you have hit it on the head. However, the difference between Izzo and everyone else is that he doesn't branch out very far from the Midwest. He more or less takes the cream of the crop from Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and occasionally an Iowa/Kansas. 2 of his top guys coming in this coming year (Nairn and Clark) are Kansas guys. Look at the Mr. Basketball's in Michigan he's gotten to East Lansing since he took over. Jason Richardson (fine NBA player), Marcus Taylor (left too early), Kelvin Torbert (never reached potential), Paul Davis (short-lived NBA career), Drew Neitzel (heart and soul guy), Derrick Nix (formed into a good college player), Keith Appling (shame he got injured this year), and Matt Costello (still out there). With the exception of Richardson and Torbert, don't think any of these guys were top 50 national recruits. However, every single one is Izzo's "grinder, tough-nosed, throwdown" player. He finds guys that fit his system instead of getting the top guy. Sure, the offers are there for guys like Okafor and Parker, but they don't necessarily fit the mold. Throw in Gary Harris as Mr. Basketball Indiana in 2012 and Shannon Brown (Illinois, 2003), he has a knack for getting the best guys in the Midwest.

Whoever brought up the point of coaching up players was spot on too. Adreian Payne, as a freshman, couldn't hit the rim from 3 point land. He was a 44 percent FT shooter as a freshman. He looked lost in offensive sets and got pushed around like a baby. Fast forward to this past year, guy was an absolute stud. Played his way into a first round pick in the upcoming NBA draft. Now, part of that is obviously his own drive and determination, but Izzo clearly has laid the groundwork and motivation for him.

Point is with the exception of a few, he finds guys that he knows will fit his system well. Hard-nosed, tough athletes are what he loves. Guys who can run in transition and use exceptional athletic ability. That's why he's been so successful, he's blazed his own path and system. He's found an identity for a winning team, and he recruits that way. Now, if we could form some sort of identity at Rhody, it'd be a start in finding guys to fit that system. You don't need top 100 guys coming in to do that.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Meant to throw Bo Ryan in that mix as well. Watch a Wisconsin basketball game from the past 10-15 years. Are any of those guys top 50? Top 100? Top 150? Ryan changed his system this year into a more uptempo offensive team, but they won consistently using his grind it out, slow the game down system for years. He has the same style of player every single year. Very few "athletes" on his teams. Almost every guy has a higher IQ basketball mind than their opponents though. They understand his system and execute it to perfection. He's another fantastic coach that doesn't get the credit he deserves.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Now that Terrell has been released from his LOI, I'd feel a lot better about our chances if Preston were still here.....not that it's a big deal....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 Lithuania PF/C Rokas Gustys (Offer)

I doubt Hofstra is a serious contender.

It's between us, UAB, and Tulane.

P.S. All this bullshit between followers of PM, Carr, and Murray is just that, bullshit.

All it does is confirm that the reason PM didn't stay was his issues with Carr.

He [PM] won't be back, imo.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I just hope that Preston himself isn't saying these things.

If so, my respect for him would take an enormous hit.

Remember everybody, BC can't get EVERYBODY we're recruiting. A lot of misinformation running around out there.

The sooner this stuff gets settled, the better.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rambone 78 wrote:I doubt Hofstra is a serious contender.

It's between us, UAB, and Tulane.

P.S. All this bullshit between followers of PM, Carr, and Murray is just that, bullshit.

All it does is confirm that the reason PM didn't stay was his issues with Carr.

He [PM] won't be back, imo.
Grown-men with a Gadget-Problem……..
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I liked the days before Twitter better, when it comes to this crap.

The problem is, everyone who THINKS they know something, is throwing it out there without actually knowing anything.

People hear stuff, and put it out there without verifying it. It's getting ridiculous.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: All it does is confirm that the reason PM didn't stay was his issues with Carr.
Where did you get that from?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A couple of people in the program. Can't say any more.

Without those issues, PM might have stayed. That's it.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I give up.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: All it does is confirm that the reason PM didn't stay was his issues with Carr.
That is asinine. Whatever "issues" there were, they are being way overblown here. There are always little things between coworkers who generally get along and have a fine working relationship. The idea that Preston left here because of some personal beef is ridiculous. He left because they nearly doubled his salary, like anyone would have. Any conjecture otherwise is irresponsible, in my opinion.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There were issues, TP. I am NOT saying that was the only reason, but it didn't help.

Money was a factor. Of course it was. It wasn't the only thing. When you combine these things, it did the trick.

Also remember, URI reportedly offered PM the CIW "title" so to speak. From what I understand, PM wanted that assurance, and Dan OK'd it.

That's all I'm going to say any more on the matter. There are more important things to talk about now.

PM is past history. He's trying to take our recruits. That's his job, like it or not.