New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm thinking the A10 just may stay put at 13 teams.

Reason?

As mentioned in my last post, if say next year, the BE takes St Louis and Siena, that leaves the A10 with 12 teams. Done deal. All set. Richmond and Dayton stay, all is well, or at least OK.

Except the A10 then needs to get a couple of their bottom feeders on the stick, and upgrade their facilities, as in Fordham. Or send them packing and find a suitable replacement.

Would the A10 at 12 teams, be able to keep their new TV contract as is? Or would there be changes?
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Pitt. may well be closer to DC now. After all, it's been pretty windy lately.
I like the addition of GMU. It weakens the CAA (divide and conquer). I'd like to use the same strategy to grab 1 or 2 MVC teams. If our Western teams do stay, they'll need company out there. I'd love to be able to dump Fordham and Duquesne and join up with the MVC.
Of course, I'd love to hit the lottery, too.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Dayton will go unless X pulls some heavy politics. Lately there's been a buzz for VCU to the Big East. But that doesn't seem to fit so much. Saint Louis and Dayton will go, if the politics are workable.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:I think Rod understood you to mean that Pittsburgh is closer to D.C. than Philly is to D.C.
Well that's obviously not what I meant. How's this... Pittsburgh is closer to St. Bonaventure, Dayton, and Washington D.C. than it is to Philly. But as long as no one thinks Duquesne is in Philly, it's all good.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Siena, haven't they been a "host school" for the occasional MAAC tourney in the downtown Albany arena that could not draw flies??......and plays home games there with curtains hanging down covering the upper sections??.....that market for the A-10??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

section(105) wrote:Siena, haven't they been a "host school" for the occasional MAAC tourney in the downtown Albany arena that could not draw flies??......and plays home games there with curtains hanging down covering the upper sections??.....that market for the A-10??
But they still draw 6-8k per game. This is better than a lot of teams in the A10.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes, upon further review, the NCAA stats for this season were; Siena ranked 80 in home attendance with average of 6,509 in the "reconfigured Albany Times Union site........"
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

Still would rather have Davidson and C of C
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Davidson, maybe. C of C, no. They just joined the CAA.

Siena is a program on the rise, and they draw more than most of the A10 does now. That includes us.

They fit the A10, which needs another Northeast school. We already have a couple of small Catholic schools, and Siena's facilities are better than theirs. If we don't take them, I think the BE does when they expand again.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'd be OK with Siena. I like that it's another facility that you can make a 3hr drive to in the same day of a game (hopefully weekend day game).
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

If the BE wants Siena, they'll take. it won't matter what conference they're in at the time.
I guess they will eventually join the A10.
GMU can replace Charlotte. I wish Siena would come to replace Fordham.
We're still missing good, established programs, though.
I guess the league has to accept that it will never be as strong as this year.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I have no problem with Siena. That they fired their coach is a good sign, too. They're not settling for mediocre.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

What does bringing Siena in now accomplish? The A10 made George Mason wait, they should make Siena wait. They've had 3 straight losing seasons in a one bid conference. Who knows who the hell they're going to hire as their coach. They might have potential, add them when they start to tap into it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BFC wrote:What does bringing Siena in now accomplish? The A10 made George Mason wait, they should make Siena wait. They've had 3 straight losing seasons in a one bid conference. Who knows who the hell they're going to hire as their coach. They might have potential, add them when they start to tap into it.
I watched the Press Conference yesterday for GMU, and read all the information on it.
GMU has a President who was very loyal to the CAA. He retired. The new President felt that they had to make this move, especially since they lost ODU, Georgia State and VCU from the Conference. He even got good marks for being honest about the decision saying it was about money. He admitted GMU turned down the A10 last year - but this year they had to mkae this decision. They were original members of the CAA making it very difficult.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm okay with Siena and/or Davidson. What I'd really like is to get a written guarantee with Dayton and St. Louis. If they can commit in writing (with stiff penalties for bailing), then I say add a couple of midwest teams. Wichita St (2nd sweet 16 in a few years), Bradley, Cleveland St, Western Ky (always seems to be in the mix with a surprise every few years), or another midwest school with a commitment to basket ball. If Dayton and St. Louis don't want to commit, then be careful about western teams. It would be great if we become the next Xavier/Temple (which is not unreasonable).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not a fan of Siena but I am ok with Davidson
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

ramster wrote: I watched the Press Conference yesterday for GMU, and read all the information on it.
GMU has a President who was very loyal to the CAA. He retired. The new President felt that they had to make this move, especially since they lost ODU, Georgia State and VCU from the Conference. He even got good marks for being honest about the decision saying it was about money. He admitted GMU turned down the A10 last year - but this year they had to mkae this decision. They were original members of the CAA making it very difficult.
GMU turned down the A10 last year? Really? Wow.

That would seem to imply that the A10 wanted GMU over Butler or VCU?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Siena is to join the A10, I would think McGlade would want some kind of assurance that they won't turn around and join the BE, if they come calling. If that's even possible.

I can see the exit fees going up soon. Of course, that won't stop the BE with Fox's money.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Regarding GMU turning down an invite to the A10 last year, they do have a very similar profile to VCU, so I can see how the A10 may have invited them before VCU. I am guessing Butler got the first invite, GMU got the second invite, and VCU got the third invite after GMU turned the A10 down.

GMU NCAA appearances:
1989, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2011
2006 and 2011 appearances were at-large bids.

Conference tournament champions
1989, 1999, 2001, 2008

They made the Final 4 in 2006.

VCU NCAA Tournament appearances:
1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
1983, 1984, and 2009 were at-large bids

Conference tournament champions
1980, 1981, 1985, 1996, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012

They made the Final 4 in 2011.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

"According to the Washington Post, George Mason turned down an opportunity to join the A-10 last year before reversing course this year."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... a-caa-team
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Add Buffalo.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

"3. The A-10 had to act swiftly in adding George Mason to replace Butler or Xavier. The A-10 made a play a year ago for Mason but decided to go with VCU and Butler instead. Those turned out to be sound moves. A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade said there was nothing wrong with a 13-team league citing the odd-number Big Ten (11) and ACC (9) for years. Mason fits the A-10 profile and had to get out of a CAA, which is being poached like a carcass by various conferences. The A-10 continues to look for basketball-centric schools for its long-term survival. Meanwhile, the CAA missed out on luring Davidson along with the College of Charleston. The CAA could really use Davidson now and it might be worth trying to make another play. What these latest moves prove yet again is that every conference is out for itself. Please spare us any further commentary from a conference commissioner about being pilfered by other leagues. They all do it to the league below them. They are all guilty of trying to steal from one league to strengthen their own."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -and-teams
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

George Mason certainly seems like the best case addition. Not a slam dunk, but enough recent history to justify the jump, and in a class of their own in comparison to other potential candidates.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Very pleased with the GMU addition. I'd be ok with staying at an odd number of teams, don't add a team just to "fill" the league unless they're a perfect fit. And honestly, I can't really get excited about any of the other potential options that were on our wish list after GMU.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Actually 13 teams can work nicely .... 4 home-and-homes and 8 round robins .... 16 games altogether.
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Either the last team or last 3 teams don't go to Brooklyn and have four rounds. The same would work for 14 teams with the bottom two not going. With 16 last year, I felt all should go and either have zero buys or do with the big east did with bottom 8 playing in the opening round, then the four winners play teams 5-8, then the winners play teams 1-4. So if you're 1-4 you get two byes into the quarter finals, 5-8 1 bye, and 9-16 no bye.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Any word on Siena? I thought someone had mentioned an announcement was supposed to be today.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a news story in Monday's Albany Times Union, the Siena president, Rev. Kevin Mullen was quoted that he had not been contacted by the A-10. So an impending announcement from them doesn't seem to be realistic at this time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like there's a good chance the A10 will stay at 13 for now, and wait to see how things develop with possible future BE expansion.

Bernadette will know what's going on with them, long before we do.

Hey, if St Louis were to announce soon [which I doubt will happen] that they're going to the MVC for next year, then the A10 is at 12 teams, and then what would the BE do?

Most likely NOT expand again, so Dayton and Richmond stay in the A10. That would be fine by me.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rambone, I think there is too much uncertainty in this realignment picture today for Saint Louis to make a hasty decision to move to the MVC. When you read their message board, you don't get the feeling they love the MVC, quite the opposite. Their fan view is also echoed by their alumni and the SLU administration, especially the President, Rev. Biondi. The only person who brought up the MVC favorably was Majerus.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

SLU might like the exposure they get from being in a more geographically diverse league (A10).
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I didn't know that, thanks Obs.

Rick wanted to go to the MVC, I think, for travel reasons. For not just his kids, but himself too. He hated the travel, but loved the restaurants.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

SLU, with their newfound NCAA money (last year and this year's additional 2 NCAA units) has all the money now to minimize the hassle of travel for their hoops team (and other sports), by utilizing charter flights.

When the late Rick Majerus came to SLU, they did NOT have the funding to go charter all their road games, but that's changed now.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, that money plus the money from the departing teams, will last a while.

Maybe the lure of the really big bucks from the BE won't be as strong. Maybe.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rambone 78 wrote:ATP, that money plus the money from the departing teams, will last a while.

Maybe the lure of the really big bucks from the BE won't be as strong. Maybe.
Does a .0001% chance count as maybe?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saint Louis will jump at the chance to join the Big East and that move is almost certain to happen. Most likely the reason it didn't happen when Butler and X got the nod was the BE honchos for PR reasons didn't want to take 4 teams at once from one conference, something that hasn't happened to any conference since the early re-alignments.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obidiah, you're probably right about St Louis. When the BE decides to add 2 more teams, which imo will happen in a year or 2, they will be the first to go.

The question is, who will be the 2nd team? Most likely it will be one of these 3, Dayton, Richmond, or Siena.

Who's got the edge there? Don't be surprised if it's Siena.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Maybe the A10 feels that Siena may be going to the "New and Not Improved" Big East, also. That may be why they're not bringing them in now.

I really doubt that the BE cares about looking bad by bringing in more than 2 teams from our league.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

If the Big East was going to add Siena they would do it before Siena got a new coach. The assumption of going to the A10 in 2-3 weeks is mostly likely helping them find the best coach possible. So... if it was known they are going to the Big East it would have a major impact on who is hired as a coach.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

section(105) wrote:Siena, haven't they been a "host school" for the occasional MAAC tourney in the downtown Albany arena that could not draw flies??......and plays home games there with curtains hanging down covering the upper sections??.....that market for the A-10??
Siena has a better fan following than 75% of the a10. I went to a game there once and the fan turn out is legit. Would still obviously rather have George mason and Davidson but I would love to replace Fordham with Siena even though they are not in NYC. We should take Iona for the NYC market. But as far as Siena's fans go I wish we had fans like them here. That arena is packed and loud.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The New York market?
They don't care about St. John's, why would they
care about Iona?
NYC is about pro sports, just like Boston.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I like Stony Brook and Quinnipiac I believe they are up and coming programs with aggressive leadership at the top. And at the university level not just athletics It would be a leap of faith however based on their pedestrian histories. Stony Brook is a part of the state university system of New York which does not have a team in big time basketball yet. Albany is also intriguing in that it is a school in the state capital of New York and a lot of politicos went there. I would find them preferable to Siena because it is non religious

Quinnipiac just opened their medical school...their law school is rapidly rising in the rankings...and they are committed to athletics as a public relations tool.

These are all outside the box candidates whose better days are ahead of them. It would take a leap of faith for us to embrace them ...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Quinnipiac, although small, has a top notch arena. The problem, again, is the size. I think it holds around 3,000. I can't see anyone wanting to travel to play in an arena of that size. In which case their RPI won't be good enough to help URI.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Agree with you RAM and Scine. Depending on how you pursue, you could move to 14 teams (so add one more?), and then wait to see how some of these other programs develop over the next few years before deciding on any moves. Quinnipiac, Albany, Stony Brook, and others, they need you more than you need them. They either continue to improve and become can't miss, or you see if they fall back to the pack and aren't worth the invite, because in reality, they aren't at a point where they would go anywhere else.

The worst thing you could do is jump the gun on a program that seems can't miss only to have them become a bottom feeder. I've always agreed with some of you guys on a Cleveland St. and Siena. I'm sure Siena would get the nod, both both have decent venues and I believe good fan bases despite never being in the greatest conferences.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Quinnepeac is an interesting story. I do feel like they really want to improve their stature in both athletics and academics. Their new arena is gorgeous, although small. You walk in on the upper concourse level and you're on top of a bowl on either side: Basketball on one side, hockey on the other. Very interesting concept. However, the fact that it is so small might dismay some.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

New York got excited about St. John's during the Chris Mullin era. And that was a long time ago.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

http://www.gazettenet.com/blogs/umasssp ... conference

"Davidson - Replaces the 49ers in the Charlotte market

Cleveland State - Decent resources. If Dayton is staying in the league, this would make for a nice rivalry.

Delaware - Not a great basketball tradition of late, but a strong fan base and another solid state institution

Siena - This is a school that cares about basketball with a great fan base and great arena.

Stony Brook - The Seawolves have invested in athletics. People like to talk about Hofstra, but in 10 years SBU might be the better Long Island school, sooner if they join the A-10."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

IMHO: A10 should get out of the Charlotte and Ohio markets
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

I still think UNCW is a good fit
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=9109731

I would love for Stevens to leave Butler for UCLA and the New Big East goes to crap