The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by ramster »

3mm's wrote: 3 years ago Didn't Thorr do this with the Football program recently forcing the coach to get rid of his own son?
Yes on the Football Program. Thorr also mandated that Jim Baron make changes to his Assistant Staff in the last year or two of his CFL Contract.

But I do agree with Bos8, the Assistants are the responsibility of David Cox. Cox hired all of this Assistants to begin with, it is his responsibility to adjust the staff as he deems necessary or as current staff members move on to other positions.

Jim Harrick and Dan Hurley did fine in hiring Assistant Coaches and Staff Members - salary pool provided by the school was adequate although Dan Hurley certainly did a lot to get the Assistant Salary Pool increased.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago

How the hell is our staff stable? Did Cox get an extension? We have a coach whose seat is hot, and the chances of all our assistants coming back are slim to none...
Hot seat says who? Beyond the three fringe members of the board who is saying he is on the hot seat? Are they the same people that wanted Hurley out of here? CFL 2.0??

Look, at the end of the day college coaching at this level isn’t a “stable” job. A majority of coaches are a 6-23 season away from being removed. Pressure to won? Sure. But hot seat? Please cite your sources because I’d appreciate seeing some evidence beyond the crazy rantings of Gandy, I mean Rambone...
Cox can't have another down year. If you think he can and Thorr will be ok with it, you're wrong.

My original question to you was how our staff is stable? Do you think all our assistants come back? I don't. Why did our women's coach get extended immediately, and Cox hasn't? We can argue if that is hot or not, but it's about to be April, and we are recruiting with a coach that still doesn't have an extension. Do you realize what that looks like to recruits? Unstable. It puts Cox at a huge disadvantage, and if Thorr is willing to risk that, then Cox is 100% on the hot seat. I hope he does get an extension because I want him to land a great recruit, so we have the chance of a bid next year, and Cox can save his job. I want him to succeed; I don't think it will happen.
I don't think we are that far off in what we are saying. I think just we may just differ on what we consider stability. In general the notion of stability, especially among staffs at the college level isn't what it is in many other professions. With the exception of the top level "bluebloods" with deep check books, there is major turnover every year. Stability may be a slight talking point by them in recruiting, but its rare that I hear it come up in recruiting pitches.

I think people are realizing more and more things can be year to year, both from a coaches perspective and a players perspective. Especially with the ease of transferring now, if go somewhere because of particular assistant coach, you can just simply leave and play somewhere else next year.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

In the meantime, someone please call Kadary Richmond and tell him he can be our starting PG
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago In the meantime, someone please call Kadary Richmond and tell him he can be our starting PG
Watch out for UConn and Kentucky for Kadary
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Or Seton Hall
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hot seat says who? Beyond the three fringe members of the board who is saying he is on the hot seat? Are they the same people that wanted Hurley out of here? CFL 2.0??

Look, at the end of the day college coaching at this level isn’t a “stable” job. A majority of coaches are a 6-23 season away from being removed. Pressure to won? Sure. But hot seat? Please cite your sources because I’d appreciate seeing some evidence beyond the crazy rantings of Gandy, I mean Rambone...
Cox can't have another down year. If you think he can and Thorr will be ok with it, you're wrong.

My original question to you was how our staff is stable? Do you think all our assistants come back? I don't. Why did our women's coach get extended immediately, and Cox hasn't? We can argue if that is hot or not, but it's about to be April, and we are recruiting with a coach that still doesn't have an extension. Do you realize what that looks like to recruits? Unstable. It puts Cox at a huge disadvantage, and if Thorr is willing to risk that, then Cox is 100% on the hot seat. I hope he does get an extension because I want him to land a great recruit, so we have the chance of a bid next year, and Cox can save his job. I want him to succeed; I don't think it will happen.
I don't think we are that far off in what we are saying. I think just we may just differ on what we consider stability. In general the notion of stability, especially among staffs at the college level isn't what it is in many other professions. With the exception of the top level "bluebloods" with deep check books, there is major turnover every year. Stability may be a slight talking point by them in recruiting, but its rare that I hear it come up in recruiting pitches.

I think people are realizing more and more things can be year to year, both from a coaches perspective and a players perspective. Especially with the ease of transferring now, if go somewhere because of particular assistant coach, you can just simply leave and play somewhere else next year.
Makes sense to me and I agree that a good AD lets a coach run their program their way. It's on Cox to hire and fire assistants 100%... I guess I'm just worried that recruits look at Cox right now and say to themselves, if I go there will he be there next year? I understand that many coaches are a horrible season away from being fired, but I think recruits have a general sense of what the buzz is like around a program, and right now, we are trending downward.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
So you honestly think 100% of the coaching staff is returning next year?
I would agree with what Stephen said above. I don't want to assume 100% of the staff is returning. There is a lot of turnover among college jobs. I also don't want to assume that Cox is happy with the performance of the staff. Who knows, maybe there is a Burgeron situation going on with a staff member. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable saying everyone is coming back. Cox interacts and works with these guys every day. It's up to him to select who is comfortable working for him.

BUT I don't think Thorr would mandate that Cox change his staff short of some sort of NCAA violation or something major. And I wouldn't think Cox (or many other head coaches) would feel comfortable with an AD that mandates that. Cox could certainly sit down with Thorr, and talk about the staff members and their performance. Thorr has been around college athletes for a long time, and I am going to assume that Cox would value his input.

But at the end of the day Thorr hired Cox to run the program, which includes hiring the staff. If an AD is demanding to make staff changes, where is the line? Is Thorr demanding a 1-3-1 zone? Is Thorr demanding to run the 3 man weave every day in practice? Is Thorr demanding to do more reverse lay ups in individual workouts? I doubt it... Hire the person, put everything in place that you can for them to meet the expectations you have, and support them as they attempt to do it. If they don't get it done, then move on.
Try not to make too much sense, it’ll go over their heads.
You never have anything good to say. You're an ass.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Cox is no dummy and he knows next year is do or die... He’s either extended or terminated after next season. No program in its right mind is letting a coach play out the last year of their contract... would be impossible to recruit.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cox can save his job by brutally assessing his performance as well as that of his staff and his team.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

Here you are again with yet another staff dig. Grow TF up.
You do realize there is a portion of the fan base that wants this staff fired, right?
I feel like the fringe wants the staff fired (now). Most fans want results from the staff and team next year. If not, we can have serious talks about making changes.
NYCT that seems about right. Next year is big concerning this program.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago In the meantime, someone please call Kadary Richmond and tell him he can be our starting PG
Watch out for UConn and Kentucky for Kadary
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I know a transfer in the portal who has neatly 1600 points and is a programs all time steals leader who could be our point guard... :D :D :D
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Brendan Adams to GW
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Brendan Adams to GW
GW becoming Transfer U.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DeVon Baker junior PG/CG for UNC Ashville just entered the portal, in 2019-2020 averaged 16 pts/ 45%FG. This season played very limited amount of games due to an injury early on.
He was a 2 time all Big South Conference performer.
He is from Dayton, Ohio wouldn't be surprised to see them involved, then again how about us.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Would be cool to get someone from RI!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Brendan Adams to GW
GW becoming Transfer U.
That moniker applied to URI last year. It can very result in a rather bumpy ride from what we witnessed this season.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago Would be cool to get someone from RI!

Cannot wait to see a bunch of New England schools on his list and we aren't!
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If we aren’t kicking these tires we deserve what we get

A 6’9” shooter developed by Jay Wright for 3 years, yup I’ll take that and roll the dice.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago If we aren’t kicking these tires we deserve what we get

A 6’9” shooter developed by Jay Wright for 3 years, yup I’ll take that and roll the dice.
Also was working out all summer with Hassan and Malik Martin, Cyril, etc.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago If we aren’t kicking these tires we deserve what we get

Also was working out all summer with Hassan and Malik Martin, Cyril, etc.
PC may get involved because forwards: Monroe, Gantt, and Nichols all transferring.
Not sure if there are any current BE rules in place about transferring within conference.
There may be an exemption because it is close to his home and during a pandemic year.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yess please
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Yess please
You could see this coming a mile away, I’m surprised it took 3 years. I doubt he joins another Big East team.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Yess please
You could see this coming a mile away, I’m surprised it took 3 years. I doubt he joins another Big East team.
He probably won't go BE, some questioned his defense.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Needs to drop down in level ...

You can spot him up and he'll shoot a decent clip, but that's about all he'll give you offensively. I actually think his shooting is a little overrated, because he gets a ton of open looks playing next to JRE, Gillespie, Samuels, Moore, etc. He's the 5th option on the court and gets no attention, and only pops 40%? What happens if he lands on a team where he's supposed the 2nd-3rd offensive option and the defense is marking him pretty tight? Plus he is awful on defense. He's just not athletic enough to keep up with quicker players but also doesn't have the strength to body up bigs. Here's a stat, despite standing 6'9, 225, he averages 5.8 rebounds per 40 minutes. Plays much smaller than his size.

If you can bury him on D, great, but I think a lower school where he can showcase his offense and not be as exposed defensively would be the ideal spot.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I’ll take him here any day of the week, 6’9 shooter. Cmon Dave
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another St. John's departure, solid quality guard:

Also shot 46% FG/45% 3PT this past season
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago I’ll take him here any day of the week, 6’9 shooter. Cmon Dave
We need an immediate impact guard, not another forward that can play any defense. Pass
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago I’ll take him here any day of the week, 6’9 shooter. Cmon Dave
We need an immediate impact guard, not another forward that can play any defense. Pass
Problem is we can only take 1 a this time, and I agree for next year that Guard is the more important position. HOWEVER, I would take Swider in a heartbeat even if he is a little bit of a redundant player.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cole is also friends with Preston Murphy, Jr....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The real question is, with 12 schollies filled, why do we need an immediate impact guard.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

It would be nice to keep this thread as one that is looking forward and not dwelling on past events
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The real question is, with 12 schollies filled, why do we need an immediate impact guard.
Bit of a rhetorical question

With Shepp returning that helps lessen the need a little.

In all fairness, I am sure Cox felt that Carey would of been more of an impact and he didn't plan on AB being seriously injured.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

In all fairness, I am sure Cox felt that Carey would of been more of an impact and he didn't plan on AB being seriously injured.
Cox felt? Ok. So that makes it all good then I guess. and AB? He was our impact guard?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Cox felt? Ok. So that makes it all good then I guess. and AB? He was our impact guard?
Carey was highly recruited, so Cox wasn't alone, they all don't pan out, but he was worth taking the chance at the time.

AB had put up solid #'s at Towson and had plenty of interest in the portal. Most of the fan base and local media was excited when he committed here. The jury is still out on him.

How about Ish, he definitely has the potential to be an impact player here? Tres we don't know at this point but I am optimistic about him.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

He would be the one to get if you can only have one.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I be good with Cole Swider a big that can shoot it
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Never mind....

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Gotta love the confidence - I am a decent player in the BE, let’s move up a conference! Hope it works out for him but history will tell you that in most cases it won’t.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Syracuse zone would be a good spot for him.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Didn’t know he’s from Portsmouth. Odds he grew up a Rhody fan?
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Never mind....

BC, Pitt, Penn State, Syracuse, and Rutgers (previously recruited him) all looking for players will probably reach out to him.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Penny loosing three players at Memphis. Odd to me coming off the NIT championship run. But than again, this new transfer reality is odd.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Edit:
rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago It would be nice to keep this thread as one that is looking forward and not dwelling on past events
Whoops, sorry I got itchy in replying to the below post before seeing this subsequent request. In any case, somewhat related as to my mention of Cox's biggest mistake below which may have led to last season's transfers...
URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Insane how many people on this board suddenly became okay with bad to mediocre results. NCAAs next year or move on.
Ah the annual "I CARE more about this team than YOU" takes because we can't have a nuanced discussion about the coach's performance without this becoming a competitive "Name that Tune" challenge with naming the seasons until firing:

"I can fire that coach after 5 seasons."
"Oh yeah, I can fire that coach after 3 season."
"I'll fire that coach in one season."

I think Cox is a below average game coach at this time due to his ticks of getting robotic with substitutions instead of riding the hot hand, as well as taking those gawdawful TOs after a made bucket. This upcoming season is the year to improve that...if I don't see him ascend to at least average or slightly above average coach, THEN I am ready to say he is the real Baron 2.0 (not Hurley lol) because despite the talent recruits and transfers Cox may draw they just won't get over the hump.

Frankly, because of perhaps one decision - riding with Fatts and encouraging his volume of ball handling and shots instead of risking his transfer - Cox may have arguably lost multiple players and with the result that the player who was accommodated was not good enough to carry us to the tournament the last 2 seasons. Although it was undoubtedly a shitty decision in retrospect, I just can't fire the guy over one bad call that led to other bad outcomes. Next year is really his first team not under "hostage" by Fatts for better or worse with a fully coach-curated team, and that is going to most strongly sway my judgment one way or the other about a possible future with Cox.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Edit:
rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago It would be nice to keep this thread as one that is looking forward and not dwelling on past events
Whoops, sorry I got itchy in replying to the below post before seeing this subsequent request. In any case, somewhat related as to my mention of Cox's biggest mistake below which may have led to last season's transfers...
URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Insane how many people on this board suddenly became okay with bad to mediocre results. NCAAs next year or move on.
Ah the annual "I CARE more about this team than YOU" takes because we can't have a nuanced discussion about the coach's performance without this becoming a competitive "Name that Tune" challenge with naming the seasons until firing:

"I can fire that coach after 5 seasons."
"Oh yeah, I can fire that coach after 3 season."
"I'll fire that coach in one season."

I think Cox is a below average game coach at this time due to his ticks of getting robotic with substitutions instead of riding the hot hand, as well as taking those gawdawful TOs after a made bucket. This upcoming season is the year to improve that...if I don't see him ascend to at least average or slightly above average coach, THEN I am ready to say he is the real Baron 2.0 (not Hurley lol) because despite the talent recruits and transfers Cox may draw they just won't get over the hump.

Frankly, because of perhaps one decision - riding with Fatts and encouraging his volume of ball handling and shots instead of risking his transfer - Cox may have arguably lost multiple players and with the result that the player who was accommodated was not good enough to carry us to the tournament the last 2 seasons. Although it was undoubtedly a shitty decision in retrospect, I just can't fire the guy over one bad call that led to other bad outcomes. Next year is really his first team not under "hostage" by Fatts for better or worse with a fully coach-curated team, and that is going to most strongly sway my judgment one way or the other about a possible future with Cox.
The fact that the coach let himself be held hostage for two years is nuts.
Any reason to think it couldn't be same thing/different guy next year?
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Wondering what NC State saw in Gantt that I never saw. I saw a very limited offensive player. He has no outside game at all. I would have bet money that he was going to transfer down.
I hope NC State saw a spark plug, energy guy off the bench. Anything more than that is wishful thinking, unless he dramatically improves his outside shot over the summer.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Syracuse would be a good fit for Cole with the Zone.
Ramball
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramball »

FYI-Cole's two Grandparents on his mother's side are both URI alumni.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Cole would have stayed home to play, it would have been at PC.