The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ace wrote: 5 years ago On-court performance aside, I like that Dan got two St. Anthony guys before time ran out. For anyone who followed or was close to the school, it’s a nice bit of closure.
Screw Dan, and all the Storrs Leg-humpers.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I hope more conferences go for this-

The article also contains this interesting scheduling note-

“The league also has passed rules to beef up its non-conference schedule as programs will be required to a non-conference five-year trailing average of opponents’ NET ranking must be 175 or less, no participation in road buy games, no regular season games against non-Division I opponents and no road games versus a non-conference opponent with a five-year trailing average of 200 NET.”

The first part of that sentence needs to be edited, but I think the overall idea is clear.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I hope more conferences go for this-

“The league also has passed rules to beef up its non-conference schedule as programs will be required to a non-conference five-year trailing average of opponents’ NET ranking must be 175 or less, no participation in road buy games, no regular season games against non-Division I opponents and no road games versus a non-conference opponent with a five-year trailing average of 200 NET.”

The first part of that sentence needs to be edited, but I think the overall idea is clear.
I like it but let’s honest, they are doing it for one reason - fear of slipping out of top 6 conference ranking long term. ESPN had them as 7th behind NBE and AAC. They only got a 3rd team in NCAA Tournament this year because of an upset winner in their Conference Tournament.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago I hope more conferences go for this-

I like it but let’s honest, they are doing it for one reason - fear of slipping out of top 6 conference ranking long term. ESPN had them as 7th behind NBE and AAC. They only got a 3rd team in NCAA Tournament this year because of an upset winner in their Conference Tournament.
Of course. The article says as much.

Wonder if any other conferences will waive the extra sit-out year? Maybe some of that young talent Fordham gets could at least stay in-conference a little easier.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mike Brey against the new ease of getting a waiver.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -deterrent
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hauser brothers transferring from Marquette split up:
Sam to Virginia
Joey to Michigan State
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

“Dead of the night” is such unnecessarily dramatic phrasing.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Latest update. Players have until midnight tonight to pull their name out. They can also go back to their college if they aren’t drafted. Seeing their are 60 draft spots and Goodman says that 79 are staying in and 35 more haven’t decided there are going to be players undrafted. The latest mock draft has 6 seniors, 7 international & 2 others. So that leaves 45 spots for 79+ underclassmen.

Edit: they can go back to their college if they aren’t drafted AND they attended the NBA Combine. Only 67 players attended the Combine. Many of the top players don’t go so the NBA extended additional invites to get to 67 attendees.

Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Charlie Brown still in it. I think he’s a terrific college player. I just don’t know if he’ll be drafted.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Charlie Brown still in it. I think he’s a terrific college player. I just don’t know if he’ll be drafted.
He doesn’t show up in the mocks. Maybe some of these players are ok with a two way deal (each team gets 2), the G League or playing overseas.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Why you think the Hauser brothers split up ?? Is it because they are too similar of players ??
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Not sure it was ever posted but Brown is confirmed leaving.

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Why you think the Hauser brothers split up ?? Is it because they are too similar of players ??
Also - tough for a team to carry multiple guys to sit on the bench a year.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago Not sure it was ever posted but Brown is confirmed leaving.

What a blockhead.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago Not sure it was ever posted but Brown is confirmed leaving.

What a blockhead.
He’ll make money somewhere next year. Probably won’t get drafted and most likely wouldn’t have gotten drafted no matter when he left. Wanted to start making money next year, combined with a new coach and bad team returning, can’t knock the kid for wanting to start his career.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago

What a blockhead.
He’ll make money somewhere next year. Probably won’t get drafted and most likely wouldn’t have gotten drafted no matter when he left. Wanted to start making money next year, combined with a new coach and bad team returning, can’t knock the kid for wanting to start his career.
You might be a bit young for this, but, it was a "Peanuts" reference. :)
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

My wife and I got a laugh out of your comment, Red and we are in need of a chuckle right about now.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

No Coasters references from anyone yet?
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI96 wrote: 5 years ago No Coasters references from anyone yet?
Why's everybody always pickin' on me....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm thinking Iowa
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago
Not sure how he would make us better. Didn’t shoot well or do anything exceptionally well.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

It seems like there is mutual interest between him and Iowa. And why would he come here to be the 3rd or 4th guard,and come off the bench, when he might start at PG for Iowa.

Moreover, I wonder why we would be recruiting another combo guard --with some PG skills-- to play in 2019/20? It would make more sense if he were a sit one transfer and play next year.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago It seems like there is mutual interest between him and Iowa. And why would he come here to be the 3rd or 4th guard,and come off the bench, when he might start at PG for Iowa.

Moreover, I wonder why we would be recruiting another combo guard --with some PG skills-- to play in 2019/20? It would make more sense if he were a sit one transfer and play next year.
another player who can handle the ball would not be a bad thing.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Two open scholarships. They would like to add one player for this year’s roster if they can attract a solid player.
The other scholarship is most likely targeted for a ‘20 recruit.

A grad transfer is a bonus - add depth for this year and have scholarship available for a ‘20.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago It seems like there is mutual interest between him and Iowa. And why would he come here to be the 3rd or 4th guard,and come off the bench, when he might start at PG for Iowa.

What might be a possible reason(s) that he would be hearing from URI at this time?
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Per Jon Rothstein's twtter Jahvon Quinerly has committed to Alabama. While Quinerly had his struggles at Villanova, and has to sit for a season, Nate Oates has quickly addsd lots of talent to Alabama, including JUCO All American James Rojas.

Our game with them is gonna be really good. They're going to be on some pre-season top 25 lists.

Our OOC schedule this upcoming season is going to be brutal, but it gives us a shot at some nationally recognized wins.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago Per Jon Rothstein's twtter Jahvon Quinerly has committed to Alabama. While Quinerly had his struggles at Villanova, and has to sit for a season, Nate Oates has quickly addsd lots of talent to Alabama, including JUCO All American James Rojas.

Our game with them is gonna be really good. They're going to be on some pre-season top 25 lists.

Our OOC schedule this upcoming season is going to be brutal, but it gives us a shot at some nationally recognized wins.

BRING IT ON BAMA
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Quinerly applying for a waiver to play right away, and with the NCAA allowing for more waivers, our game with them may get a little tougher.
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This guy gets around

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeez he sure does
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ace wrote: 5 years ago This guy gets around

He should get around to Kingston
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Didn’t we recruit him? Maybe he wants to come back east.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I think everyone kind of expects him to follow Menzies to Grand Canyon.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Talented player. Didn't play last year because of academics. If has to sit out a year that means two years with no competitive basketball. URI initially offered. Visited Rhody with Tate.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Gebrewhit is another 6’7” small forward. My guess is Hurley wanted Tate and Martin over Gebrewhit.
And Cox likes his SFs over Gebrewhit.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Being told no interest
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Watching the NBA Draft wondering how many undergrads that declared early will go undrafted. Unless they were invited to the NBA Combine their college career is over and they will need to find a pro league to play in.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not sure ifsny of yhese players can return to their college team (partipated in NBA Combine)
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Too bad. G League or overseas but at least they’ll get paid.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Many people say better to go undrafted they getting drafted mid/late 2nd round. At least as an undrafted player you can look to try to find a potential fit. A drafted player is locked into a roster and often won’t get cut until other rosters are solidified, or if they are lucky they can get a 2-way deal which could be nice from a monetary perspective but often bad for player stock.