All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
brady1
Art Stephenson

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by brady1 »

This is getting more and more asinine. Danny’s gone. Good luck Dan. Seasons starting for the people that can’t let go move thethread. Start a new topic catagory something like Dan’s new car. Andrea’s new hair do. Dan’s kids report cards. Dan’s parents Aruba vacation.

Fn shoot me.

GO RHODY!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I like reading the news and folks opinions on Dan/UConn, but the angst that he still draws from people is really something.
He has free rent in the agida section of some brains here. It's like, they don't want it here, they read it here, then they post on it how they don't want it here...which just makes it pop back up to the top of the unreads. Rinse. Repeat. It's like magic.

I'm just waiting for someone to start the All Things Eddie Cools thread.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don’t think I’ve posted once in this asinine thread. What I will say is dh took a job for 500k more than what URI offered. For that 500k, he is expected to win NCAAT Championships. Good luck.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN lost by 14 points to Harvard. As posted above Jalen Adams and Sid Wilson didn’t play.
Hurley throws the dig at his players by saying that two of them were good enough to play for him at URI.

“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley feels Jalen Adams has the talent to be a star but questions if he has the will.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Hurley is a tool, Hurley apologists are twits, let's keep this thread going forever, on your knees Rhody fans, suck danny's wind. Really wish Rod was still around to put you bats back in your caves!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Uh oh they lost to Harvard by 14 I am sure he will let them have it at practice
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago Hurley is a tool, Hurley apologists are twits, let's keep this thread going forever, on your knees Rhody fans, suck danny's wind. Really wish Rod was still around to put you bats back in your caves!
Worthless poster invokes Rod's name to try to give themself more credibility
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago Hurley is a tool, Hurley apologists are twits, let's keep this thread going forever, on your knees Rhody fans, suck danny's wind. Really wish Rod was still around to put you bats back in your caves!
Worthless poster invokes Rod's name to try to give themself more credibility
Yes, but...was able to work in "tool" and "twit" in the same sentence. My guess is that the poster thinks of Hurls more often than those that are interested in this thread, and will probably continue to do so.
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago UCONN lost by 14 points to Harvard. As posted above Jalen Adams and Sid Wilson didn’t play.
Hurley throws the dig at his players by saying that two of them were good enough to play for him at URI.

“I love the way Christian [Vital] competed. He didn’t shoot particularly well, but he really got after it. The way that Tarin [Smith] and Al and Christian got after it defensively, and Brendan [Adams] at times, they looked like guys that could have played for me at my other places, where we’ve gotten after people at the perimeter.”

I was curious about this so I read the article. I don't think it was intended as a dig.
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

When the season starts I think this thread will need to move out of this section to the place we put non-URI sports discussion.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago When the season starts I think this thread will need to move out of this section to the place we put non-URI sports discussion.
YESSSSSS!!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am not happy about having it moved as I find it relevant

Can we put it up to a poll and majority wins ????
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I am not happy about having it moved as I find it relevant

Can we put it up to a poll and majority wins ????
If you don’t care about the subject of the thread click on another thread of interest. Nobody is automatically linked to this thread. They must make a conscious decision to enter it.

But If that’s the majority vote I suppose Other College Sports could be an option. But my guess is those who don’t like it will still let their curiosity get the best of them.
Personally I’m fine if Hurley does great at UCONN. No hard feelings for me and he built this program back from the Wasteland CFL led it to.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I will be moving this thread soon. Still available for all who enjoy it, but out of place in its present location.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago I will be moving this thread soon. Still available for all who enjoy it, but out of place in its present location.

Yaaaay!

In the other college sports section?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago I will be moving this thread soon. Still available for all who enjoy it, but out of place in its present location.

Yaaaay!

In the other college sports section?
So those that hate it can ignore it. Those who dispose the guy can be happy
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It can be moved, but the same people will read/contribute to it. This thing didn't get 24,000 views by accident.
Those that hate it..will still read it just as often...but, at least they'll "feel" better about getting it moved. :lol:
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Or we can try to keep to the arrangement of the site and put dedicated threads for other schools like PC or UConn where they belong. Good thing I don’t have to ask for permission.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It should be moved. Or maybe we should have an Al Skinner /Kennesaw State thread in URI's NCAA or Bust section too...
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

This thread is like a car wreck. It's there and those of us that don't like it still open the thread to see the obsessive posts about Hurley and UCONN. Why not just go over and read their forum, It's easy enough. I would prefer to wait until he turns the program completely around, then visit their forum and read about how Dan is different and Andrea loves Glastonbury and they would never leave for another job. Then again, if he gets it done there, why would he leave? Believe what you will, but he was gone the day Ollie was fired.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I TOTALLY believe that he was gone the day Ollie was fired. I also think it's possible likely he was gone before Ollie was 'officially' fired.
Water under the bridge now, but still interested in how he and that program do, like many seem to be - 24K views doesn't just happen by itself.

I like the thread, doesn't matter to me if it's moved or not and would maybe even agree it doesn't belong in this section. Judgment call for the underappreciated moderators. The people that like the thread and the ones that don't - will probably continue to view it just as much wherever it is.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It won't be that difficult to find.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree he was gone the minute Ollie was fired and that job opened up. Do not believe he was gone before that, ample evidence that suggests the contrary. 95% chance if Uconn doesn't open up he is still on our bench, i dont think Pitt would have lured him away.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

UConn's Sidney Wilson has been suspended due to a violation of university policy, per release.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Unlike at URI, Hurley decided to keep everyone at UConn. He did this despite reservations that a few of them would buy in. This is now playing out.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan's practices are probably quite unlike what these guys were used to with Ollie.

Not surprised some of them won't cut it, for whatever reasons.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It said he was suspended for violations that occurred in 2017-18 (last season). Wonder if this isn’t pre-emotive and somehow tied to their addmittal of wrongdoing under Ollie.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Seriously why is this thread still so active??? Move on! Is it jealousy? Envy? Dreams of what could have been? We have a promising young team over here ignore whats going on in storrs!!!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

FDshoes wrote: 5 years ago Seriously why is this thread still so active???
Because we're petty and vindictive.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

FDshoes wrote: 5 years ago Seriously why is this thread still so active??? Move on! Is it jealousy? Envy? Dreams of what could have been? We have a promising young team over here ignore whats going on in storrs!!!
"WAH WAH WHY IS A PUBLIC SPORTS MESSAGE BOARD I DON'T MODERATE NOT THE EXACT WHY I WANT IT!!! I'M SO MAD THIS THREAD EXISTS I'M GOING TO POST IN IT AND KEEP IT ACTIVE!!! THAT WILL SHOW HURLEY AND EVERYONE ELSE WAH WAH!"

Seriously, this thread wouldn't be half as active if the people that claim they don't care actually didn't care and just ignored it. Dan Hurley should get into real estate, cause dude knows all about living rent free in people's heads.

We still talk about all of our ex-coaches. We had a thread about Baron and Canisius (fucking Canisius for God's sake!). If you don't want any talk about Hurley you should probably come back in 30 years or so or start a blog and disable the comments.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is a college basketball message board, primarily. Dan Hurley at UConn is a big college basketball story even ignoring that it is a semi-local story and has an obvious URI tie-in. I almost feel it’s the opposite of what the people complaining have said - it is the people complaining who are so fragile-brained that they can’t deal with any reminder that Dan is still a human that exists in the college basketball world. More well adjusted fans can maintain an interest in what’s going with him and his new program because it is inherently interesting without any impact on their interest in the URI program.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago This is a college basketball message board, primarily. Dan Hurley at UConn is a big college basketball story even ignoring that it is a semi-local story and has an obvious URI tie-in. I almost feel it’s the opposite of what the people complaining have said - it is the people complaining who are so fragile-brained that they can’t deal with any reminder that Dan is still a human that exists in the college basketball world. More well adjusted fans can maintain an interest in what’s going with him and his new program because it is inherently interesting without any impact on their interest in the URI program.
.......This......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago This is a college basketball message board, primarily. Dan Hurley at UConn is a big college basketball story even ignoring that it is a semi-local story and has an obvious URI tie-in. I almost feel it’s the opposite of what the people complaining have said - it is the people complaining who are so fragile-brained that they can’t deal with any reminder that Dan is still a human that exists in the college basketball world. More well adjusted fans can maintain an interest in what’s going with him and his new program because it is inherently interesting without any impact on their interest in the URI program.
.......This......
I would add that the rants against having this thread actually add to the entertainment value of it.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

The end of an era !!!
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes for this reason that's why I feel it should remain here and not be moved. Some of us don't like to go to the other sports section. I only go here and the recruiting thread and it's so much easier to leave it here.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I typically use the "unread posts" feature, so I'll see this or any other thread as long as it's being updated. It doesn't matter which topic it's under. Here's the link:

search.php?search_id=unreadposts
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok I am down with the move happy it's here now
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

ESPN mentions Adams was also disciplined with Wilson for a separate incident.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ied-reason
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.couran ... y,amp.html

Brendan Adam's scored 17 in the exhibition game.
Looked really good in the highlights.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Never wished good luck to any former coach. Certainly not starting now.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......for those that can’t enough, there is a today N.Y. Post, Steve Serby Q and A with Dan......barely a mention of his time at URI......other than his favorite meal......oysters and salmon at Matunck Oyster Bar......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......for those that can’t enough, there is a today N.Y. Post, Steve Serby Q and A with Dan......barely a mention of his time at URI......other than his favorite meal......oysters and salmon at Matunck Oyster Bar......
I disagree 100% on the salmon. Best entree on the menu at MOB is the Blackened Yellowfin Tuna. It's a plate clearer.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

What are some interesting things in or about that article?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago What are some interesting things in or about that article?
Not that long of a read, but interesting comparison between how they treated Calhoun compared to Ollie.

"....Those allegations fall in line with what happened at UConn under Calhoun: A former team manager helped steer a recruit to the school by giving him lodging, meals and representation.

But the allegations against Ollie were taken a step further, a Level I offense, with the assertion that Ollie provided false or misleading information to investigators about knowledge of the call between Allen and the recruit. That allegation was made by Glen Miller, a former assistant coach who was released by Connecticut after the 2016-17 season...

Calhoun and Ollie, and the investigations surrounding their programs, represent similar circumstances. Calhoun and Ollie, and the way they’ve been treated by the school in light of those investigations by different leadership in the athletic department, represent different outcomes.

And that’s a problem.

While Connecticut both tolerated Calhoun’s transgressions and assisted in an exit plan that allowed him to maintain his honor and most of his money, Ollie’s divorce from UConn will be complete and bitter.

Two coaches. One school. Different treatments. Some family."

ETA: I just think...how UConn/Hurls work through all of this clustrification, and that they are so local...makes them an interesting story.
If he had gone to Utah, Cal or someplace like that, where most of us probably don't have any sense of the program's history...probably wouldn't give a ratsy.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago What are some interesting things in or about that article?
Bembry might be a great journalist, but that article is about 6 months too late and his 1,500 words can be easily turned into 25:

UCONN had a double standard when it came to it's last two coaches, Calhoun and Ollie, and their decision came down to one thing, winning.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

IDK I think there was an element of or maybe more than an element of moving on from Ollie ASAP this past year because they wanted Hurley.

And he was ready to jump because he finally cashed in on everything he was promising and his stock was highest as it was going to be. Then I think they are cash strapped so they are trying to stiff Ollie for nothing.

His transgressions are "shooting baskets"?!!>!>!> and facilitating a phone call!?>! I honestly don't want to type the stuff schools are covering up. Baylor anyone? Louisville? Notre Dame?
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That was unexpectedly weird and emotional.