Game #26 - URI vs. La Salle, in-game!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Native
ARD

Re: Game #26 - URI vs. La Salle, in-game!

Unread post by Native »

SGreenwell wrote:My completely uneducated guess - I think Hare is out this game for injury reasons. He seems a bit gimpy on the bench, like walking around gingerly. Again though, a guess on my part.
Coach Hurley stated in the post-game comments on 920AM that Hare sat out for disciplinary reasons.

Evidently Hare got thrown out of practice yesterday, and so sat out today's game.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Native wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:My completely uneducated guess - I think Hare is out this game for injury reasons. He seems a bit gimpy on the bench, like walking around gingerly. Again though, a guess on my part.
Coach Hurley stated in the post-game comments on 920AM that Hare sat out for disciplinary reasons.

Evidently Hare got thrown out of practice yesterday, and so sat out today's game.
Yup, which just goes to show that I should never make guesses about anything.

Hurley talked quite a bit about the Hare thing in the postgame presser. I'll have it up in about 30 to 60 minutes.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Post game story and video now up.

[VIDEO] It’s a familiar story, as URI can’t stick around in the 2nd against a talented La Salle team, falling 72-65: http://patch.com/A-2mTZ
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

my guess at the game was disciplinary reason since he sat between Hurley and Murphy the entire game in uniform. If it was injury I would think he would have been in street clothes or if in uniform towards the end of the bench
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

When can we get rid of Yorke on the PA? He's awful. Can't even pronounce Sigma Chi properly. We need an upgrade. He make us sound Mickey Mouse.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

twisted3829 wrote:my guess at the game was disciplinary reason since he sat between Hurley and Murphy the entire game in uniform. If it was injury I would think he would have been in street clothes or if in uniform towards the end of the bench
I thought that as well, but in the past game when he was a game-time decision, they basically had him go through warm-ups to kind of prove that he was able to handle it and what not, because his back had been flaring up, IIRC. I just assumed he had given it a go, and wasn't going to play, and if it's 15 to 30 minutes before game time that they're making the call, then he wouldn't have changed back into street clothes probably - might as well have him sit there in his uniform to make La Salle wonder, at least until the 10 minute mark when Brooks comes in.

That being said, the fact that it was a disciplinary issue made that whole hypothetical in my head completely irrelevant. For what it's worth, the whole Hurley regime seems to be either 1) much more tightly run, since the reason for Hare's not playing didn't leak to press row beforehand or 2) the people covering the team haven't developed the sources they did when Baron was there, since for the most part, I usually did find out the real reason why guys were missing games from either this board or press row guys before the games started. (Now that I've posted this, I'm positive someone will come out of the woodwork and say they knew Hare was suspended for the game, but they just didn't want to post it beforehand for whatever reason, of course.)
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just back from Kingston.
Well, where to start.....
Thank you Jordan Hare. Mike Aaman showed why he deserves the bulk of
the playing time at center. He hustles and leaves it all on the court.
Now, at the risk of incurring the wrath of his father, Mike Powell was awful.
ZERO points, four fouls, four turnovers, 0-7 shooting, and his opposite number got 21 points.
Maybe it's the wear and tear of playing so much, and the burden he's had to carry, but
he's 6-30 with 10 turnovers in his last three games.
We shot 5-11 free throws. Awful.
Nik had a nice first half, and vanished in the second half.
One time when we weren't destroyed on the boards, we just couldn't get stops on defense.
In our defense, they hit about four totally contested threes with a hand in their face.
We just don't have the consistent offense to stay with a team with this kind of firepower.
As for how tough Hurley can be when faced with nonsense from a player,
see Tristan Thompson.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just got back from another frustrating loss... Loved the way AAman played. Very active attacking offensive boards and some decent post moves. Another disappointing day for Hare as I read here that he was disciplined.. Don't know about this kid. Does he survive this regime?? Can the Hurleys get him to be all in. We need a point guard that can not only penetrate and finish but can find the open man when doubled. Too many times Powell gets swallowed up in the lane with no where to go. Hopefully Matthews is the answer. Mike P. is not. Just not enough balance or solid options on offense....
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If that's Dan Yorke's worst sin, what else do ya want from the PA guy?? Just asking.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The staring PG next year will likely be Biggie Minnis, who can finish at the rim,
and has good size.
No need to force feed Matthews. Powell will get his time, too.
Nobody will get worn out by playing too many minutes by necessity.
As for the PA guy, he's toned it way down, since the first couple of games.
He's the least of our problems.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Mike P. trys hard, works hard, maybe too hard. He looks worn down. He's also limited. Too small, not a natural PG, doesn't have good court vision. When did we last have a PG WITH good court vision? Tyson most likely.

That's why I think EC is so important. He might, MIGHT be the answer.

As for Hare, staff has to be careful with him. Unless his grades are really good, they can't afford to lose him I would think. As for his playing ability, I doubt he's the answer going forward. Very athletic, but as we've seen in the past, that isn't enough to offset his other shortcomings.

Either his head gets screwed on straight, or he'll be riding lots of pine the next 3 years. Maybe that's why staff wants another big?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"We're like Alcatraz. Nobody can leave." -Dan Hurley
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I hope Hurley's right.

The problem is, Hare's attitude has evidently been a problem at practice for a while. He's probably been getting the crap beat out of him by the Big O and Biruta. He also probably knows he's going to be playing behind them starting next year. Even Aaman looks like the better player now, and for the future.

Can Dan and Bobby keep him happy enough to stay here? I'm not so sure.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is the perfect year for Hurley to put his foot down and show the players who's boss. We are going nowhere, so this year can be all about establishing the "culture" without worrying about wins.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RIFan wrote:This is the perfect year for Hurley to put his foot down and show the players who's boss. We are going nowhere, so this year can be all about establishing the "culture" without worrying about wins.
He's going to do that every year regardless, no single player is more important than the team.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Yorke has been horrible all yr. He thinks he's doing play-by-play. Save it for his radio show. WE can do much better.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If a player leaves and they're on track to graduate it doesn't hurt the school's standing. I would assume Hurley knows that.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm sure he does, and yet, both brothers stated the need for players to stay, for
the sake of the team academic situation.
He must know what he's dealing with.
It seemed a real worry for him.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Article from the Staten Island paper

http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/go ... out_sports

“I’m spent,” Hurley laughed. “I don’t know if I’ve ever been involved in anything more difficult. But when your guys are playing to their max, a certain peace of mind comes with that.”
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

section(105) wrote:If that's Dan Yorke's worst sin, what else do ya want from the PA guy?? Just asking.....

It's not just that, he's honestly the worst PA guy I have ever heard. Seriously I could do better. Call me URI.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If leaving before graduation was the criteria then Kentucky would be in serious trouble
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI is going to go from small time outfit in men's BB, to relative big time oufit soon. In all areas. I would guess that includes the PA announcer.

That's what's so great about this new staff. They are in the process of changing EVERYTHING about the BB program, and that should spill over into the other sports at URI.

It's one thing to just play better basketball. It's another thing to completely change the entire program. Of course, some of that is going to require money, which isn't there yet. But it should come, and soon.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I thought Hurley's last comment during the press conference was telling. "This program may not be for everyone".
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, he might be refering to Hare.

Better to know it now, so they can plan for it properly.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

CTRamfan wrote:I thought Hurley's last comment during the press conference was telling. "This program may not be for everyone".
I found that kind of interesting as well, as well as the heaps of praise he laid at the feet of the transfers. If you're assuming that the transfers can contribute plenty of minutes, and Aaman is the third big man, that basically leaves scraps for Hare next year. He might be a 5 to 10 minute a game guy until he's a junior or senior, so it'll be interesting to see where things go from here. (I think Aaman might also be in the same boat, but he's a completely different player in almost every regard from Hare. As good as he's been at times this year, it's hard to see how he gets a lot better, outside of adding more muscle on his frame and maybe a bit more touch on his jumper.)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I doubt Hare will be anything more than a role player the next 3 years, if he stays. Aaman will get more minutes than he does. There will be other big men added to the mix in the next year or two, further complicating Hare's status.

The key here, is if he stays after this season. If he stays, he's here for the entire 4 years, imo. If he sees the handwriting on the wall, what are the odds he leaves?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Things to consider: this was a good matchup for Mike. There are teams that's not the case. Hare would have had 4 lob dunks in this game. I think there's room on this team for both of them, and Big O.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If the style is uptempo in years coming, the need for the classic full time center(as much as I like that role)is less and the run the floor game, play above the rim may suit Jordan's game......??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

BTW, no way Lasalle is a tournament team
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

they're pretty close to locked in

right now the A10 has 5 teams in: SLU, Butler, VCU, La Salle and Temple are in right now. Charlotte is on the outside looking in, UMASS needs to win out and make a deep run in the A10s
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Iggy1979 wrote:BTW, no way Lasalle is a tournament team
They are certainly squarely on the bubble.

- 2-0 versus top 25 (beat VCU and Butler)
-ESPN lists their RPI at 36

Certainly some work left to do, and there name recognition hurts them but I think they have a good shot if they can make a solid run in the A10's.

I'm rooting for them, they are such an underdog team.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Don't pass the eye test
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote:
CTRamfan wrote:I thought Hurley's last comment during the press conference was telling. "This program may not be for everyone".
I found that kind of interesting as well, as well as the heaps of praise he laid at the feet of the transfers. If you're assuming that the transfers can contribute plenty of minutes, and Aaman is the third big man, that basically leaves scraps for Hare next year. He might be a 5 to 10 minute a game guy until he's a junior or senior, so it'll be interesting to see where things go from here. (I think Aaman might also be in the same boat, but he's a completely different player in almost every regard from Hare. As good as he's been at times this year, it's hard to see how he gets a lot better, outside of adding more muscle on his frame and maybe a bit more touch on his jumper.)
Hurley likes to use his roster. I think there will be minutes for Aaman, how many game by game will depend on match-ups. Aaman's priority has been playing for the Hurleys. He had a chance to start this year and get more minutes in the NEC but came along knowing he'd have a different role.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote:Things to consider: this was a good matchup for Mike. There are teams that's not the case. Hare would have had 4 lob dunks in this game. I think there's room on this team for both of them, and Big O.
Agree with this. Aaman is great if he's the tallest guy on the court, or only giving up a couple inches in height / reach. But there have been plenty of games this year where it's clear he's having trouble hanging with the big men, and looking at his game and his body, it seems unlikely that he's going to suddenly gain a bunch of height or get long enough / quick enough to stop some of the skilled big men.
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ballallday »

Rod,
Do you really think I'm in Chicago worried about your comments regarding Mike?
Really? As a father, wouldn't you think my.concerns would be focused on my sons physical, spiritual and mental
Health first? Shouldn't we as parents be worried about our kids grades? Especially during tough
Times like this? These are exhausting times for all of those boys and probably something many of us know nothing about first hand.

In any case if there is anyone who knows my son and interacts with him, can you please contact me?
I'm a little concerned and i know Mike will always say, he's ok and that he will be fine.

Next year is the future, the present is what I'm worried abt . Man your comments are just that, yours.

MP Sr.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Watching MikeP can be maddening. With the clock running down, he dribbles around furiously to get off a shot then dumps to a teammate behind him with 2 seconds on the clock. Not Mike's TO.

Also, twice today Mike failed to stop the guy with ball when he was back on their fast break. Take the block Mike.

It is not possible to carry on a conversation with the person next to you during breaks in the game.

Andre Malone was MIA today.

The sound system makes Dan York sound he worse than he is.
NCAAs or Bust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As I said, he's probably worn down from the heavy load and excessive minutes he's
been saddled with all year.
Since you've clashed with me for a couple of years, I assume what's written here does concern you to some degree.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I imagine everyone is frustrated and concerned with Mike P's play recently.

Hopefully he comes back next season, after an offseason of improvement. He will benefit a LOT next year, by having other PG's around to help with the workload and different matchups they will face. This year, he's had to do it ALL.

The only negative for him, will be less PT. How much less, is to be determined.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Andre Malone was MIA today.

As usual
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

85, what we've got is what we've got. I imagine Dan is saying the same thing.

Would any of the holdovers play for Hurley, if he had a choice?

Probably not. Hare might be included on that list too.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I imagine Hare has some decisions to make in the near future. Either get with the program or move on. Yes, he's a freshman, but nearing the end of his freshman year, he knows what is expected of him from the coaching staff. If he is not willing to get with the program, he will not have to make a decision, the staff will make it for him, as they did today. Only if it continues, the decision could be a more serious one.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Not sure Hare has the drive that Hurley is looking for, nor the hunger to do what it takes to take his game to next level. He has the raw ability but that only gets you so far. I hope he doesn't transfer, despite his lack of muscle i think he can be a defensive presence in the future.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Everybody takes things way too seriously. Okay hare didn't play today, lets talk about him getting with the program or leaving... Dear lord. Hurley said it will be tough for him. He's playing a lot more minutes than he should be. He's raw, he needs to add size and learn some post moves. I'm not saying he'll be an all star but his upside is big. Sometimes instead of ripping these guys we should be talking about the positives they bring to the table.
As for Powell, he's doing his best. He's made some improvements from last year and I don't want to see him leave. He can be a solid player off the bench next year. He knows the offense and can shoot pretty well.
These guys are athletes at the division 1 level. We are all sitting at our computers critiquing them. Don't get me wrong, we can critique them and coaching. That's what this site is made for. We can all have opinions and be harsh on players. But there is a point where we need to just chill out and be positive. As Rods quote says "in Hurley we trust"!! So lets Dan so his job and let the chips fall as they may. Go rhody!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyfan3 wrote:Everybody takes things way too seriously. Okay hare didn't play today, lets talk about him getting with the program or leaving... Dear lord. Hurley said it will be tough for him. He's playing a lot more minutes than he should be. He's raw, he needs to add size and learn some post moves. I'm not saying he'll be an all star but his upside is big. Sometimes instead of ripping these guys we should be talking about the positives they bring to the table.
As for Powell, he's doing his best. He's made some improvements from last year and I don't want to see him leave. He can be a solid player off the bench next year. He knows the offense and can shoot pretty well.
These guys are athletes at the division 1 level. We are all sitting at our computers critiquing them. Don't get me wrong, we can critique them and coaching. That's what this site is made for. We can all have opinions and be harsh on players. But there is a point where we need to just chill out and be positive. As Rods quote says "in Hurley we trust"!! So lets Dan so his job and let the chips fall as they may. Go rhody!
But did you listen to what Hurley said about being a good fit for this program? The talk about Hare right now has little to do with his talent. He got kicked out of practice and suspended for the game for lack of effort.

Powell seems to have simultaneously hit a wall and a ceiling. He'll be better next year in an adjusted role.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Everyone gets heated. I just don't want any assumptions made after one incident. That's all ace. Not trying to start any heated discussion.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyfan3 wrote:Everyone gets heated. I just don't want any assumptions made after one incident. That's all ace. Not trying to start any heated discussion.
But it's actually not a one-time thing. For the team's sake, I hope Hare responds to the challenge.
rhodyfan3
ARD

ace wrote:
rhodyfan3 wrote:Everyone gets heated. I just don't want any assumptions made after one incident. That's all ace. Not trying to start any heated discussion.
But it's actually not a one-time thing. For the team's sake, I hope Hare responds to the challenge.
I completely agree. I think this teams future looks better with hare in the picture.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If this were the first time Hare was disciplined, I wouldn't be concerned. If you remember, early in the year, he was playing very little because of his work habits in practice. He knows better by now. Show up to practice ready to work, or you sit. It has happened more than once. Hopefully, he gets his shit together and this puts an end to it. I think he could be a good player going forward if he's willing to put in the work.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think what's disturbing is, this has happened for the third time.
This time, near the end of the season.The others, that we know of,
ocurred in the exhibition and early season.
That means almost an entire season with the lesson not being learned, as to what
is expected by the staff.
Not a good sign.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Whether it's a lack of effort, or being late, or an altercation with other players, it really doesn't matter.

Like Rod said, it's happened before. Hare will have a decision to make after this season. Hurley will only tolerate so much. Dan might make the decision for him, and it won't have anything to do with his potential.