General High School Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022-23

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RIsVeryOwn
Jim Eitner

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022-23

Unread post by RIsVeryOwn »

https://247sports.com/player/larry-hughes-jr-46097325/

3 star out of MO. Yes, that Larry Hughes. Just won the state championship with Jayson Tatums father as his coach. Played his freshmen and sophomore year with Caleb Love. Played AAU with 5 star Arkansas recruit Nick Smith and ran with Mokan Elite in EYBL last summer.

If I remember correctly he suffered some type of injury his sophomore/jr year that slowed him down a bit.

https://247sports.com/Article/Recruitin ... 176085763/

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

With this staff now in place, I expect we'll be involved with some big time high school recruits, not so much in the '22 class as most of them are committed, but starting with the '23 class.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago With this staff now in place, I expect we'll be involved with some big time high school recruits, not so much in the '22 class as most of them are committed, but starting with the '23 class.
I’m hoping to be in the same ballpark as Hurley’s top recruits.

Although for me personally, unless the kid is a Top 20 All American, I just can’t get excited for recruits until they step on the court and produce.

We’ve been burned too many times these last few years with highly ranked kids.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago With this staff now in place, I expect we'll be involved with some big time high school recruits, not so much in the '22 class as most of them are committed, but starting with the '23 class.
I am wondering or hoping if Kenny Johnson can bring any of the recruits he had at National Christian Academy over to URI. Specifically Isaiah Coleman a TOP 50 4* SG 6 foot 5 in the 2023 class. This would be a great start to Kenny's tenure at URI if he can get Isaiah Coleman to come to URI.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

The key is to recruit good players that fit the system. As Belichick said, you are building a team, not just collecting talent. This emphasis on how many stars a player has needs to stop, like Koch mentioned, but many on this board focus on nothing else. We need good players and that does not always equate to how many stars a kid has. The can't miss prospects are not coming to the A10, I do not care what kind of staff you have. What we need to avoid is the Greg Hammond's and Tres Berry's of the world. Sorry for bagging on Tres, maybe he can play but I doubt it based on not playing a lick this year and Miller seemingly having no interest in keeping him. Point is, Cox took Hammond over Ty Burton who is now at Richmond. Tres Berry recruiting thread was filled with how highly thought of he was. Neither one could play at this level and these type of decisions leave marks. These were not late in the process signings, these were guys the staff focused in on and made priorities, and they could not play at this level.

Al Skinner had a great eye for talent. I remember him raving about how good this kid Tyson Wheeler was that was not being recruited very highly. That is what we need to get back to, having a staff that can watch a player and see where they may project in two to three years with good player development. If we can get back to the fringe top 125 players, great. But the A10 is not the league now that it was when Hurley first came. Back then the A10 still had Xavier and Butler. Set your recruiting expectations accordingly please. What you want to be doing is recruiting at the top of the A10, and they should be able to do that.

Agree totally with Rhody 15's last point above.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

4diffs, one of Archie’s purported strengths is talent evaluation. He also seems well organized and has spent considerable time deciding how to form his staff. I fully expect that we will see a major improvement in our recruiting efforts and results. It also speaks well of the players he’s retaining.
Slava Ukraini!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Providence big Christ Essandoko decommited. I found this part of his article on zags blog interesting...

The 6-foot-11, 260-pound center from Winston-Salem (NC) Prep, chose to commit to Providence over Maryland, Georgetown, Illinois, Oral Roberts, NC State and Seton Hall in October.
Ranked by 247Sports.com as the No. 29 center in the class of 2022, Essandoko describes himself as a versatile 7-footer that can shoot, dribble and pass.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/04/07/pro ... essandoko/
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Don’t know a whole lot about him. But he’s one of the top Canadian players in the class of 2023. Unsure about his offers, but 247 has him ranked #130.
Last edited by Ramfan22 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago The key is to recruit good players that fit the system. As Belichick said, you are building a team, not just collecting talent. This emphasis on how many stars a player has needs to stop, like Koch mentioned, but many on this board focus on nothing else. We need good players and that does not always equate to how many stars a kid has. The can't miss prospects are not coming to the A10, I do not care what kind of staff you have. What we need to avoid is the Greg Hammond's and Tres Berry's of the world. Sorry for bagging on Tres, maybe he can play but I doubt it based on not playing a lick this year and Miller seemingly having no interest in keeping him. Point is, Cox took Hammond over Ty Burton who is now at Richmond. Tres Berry recruiting thread was filled with how highly thought of he was. Neither one could play at this level and these type of decisions leave marks. These were not late in the process signings, these were guys the staff focused in on and made priorities, and they could not play at this level.

Al Skinner had a great eye for talent. I remember him raving about how good this kid Tyson Wheeler was that was not being recruited very highly. That is what we need to get back to, having a staff that can watch a player and see where they may project in two to three years with good player development. If we can get back to the fringe top 125 players, great. But the A10 is not the league now that it was when Hurley first came. Back then the A10 still had Xavier and Butler. Set your recruiting expectations accordingly please. What you want to be doing is recruiting at the top of the A10, and they should be able to do that.

This, great post.
We need to beat out the Seton Halls and Va Techs of the world for recruits not Kentucky. We aren't going to ever be able to do that. Its a pretty clear formula - recruit kids good enough to go to BE and convince them to come to A10. Terrell, EC, Hass all great examples of that. Then do a great job in development and fill around them with portal guys.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago

Don’t know a whole lot about him. But he’s one of the top Canadian players in the class of 2023. Unsure about his offers, but 247 has him ranked #130.
Thanks RF22, look forward to your input.
Glad you joined KB.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Thanks! Profile now created here: https://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?p=520856#p520856
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I wholeheartedly agree, 4D, Al had an excellent eye for talent.

Man, recruiting can be such a head scratcher for me. So many variables at play. Some players you think have all conference potential fizz out and others you don’t expect end up really good players. I sure do enjoy speculating on how they might do, still.

Many good posts in this thread. Great stuff! Thanks!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago The key is to recruit good players that fit the system. As Belichick said, you are building a team, not just collecting talent. This emphasis on how many stars a player has needs to stop, like Koch mentioned, but many on this board focus on nothing else. We need good players and that does not always equate to how many stars a kid has. The can't miss prospects are not coming to the A10, I do not care what kind of staff you have. What we need to avoid is the Greg Hammond's and Tres Berry's of the world. Sorry for bagging on Tres, maybe he can play but I doubt it based on not playing a lick this year and Miller seemingly having no interest in keeping him. Point is, Cox took Hammond over Ty Burton who is now at Richmond. Tres Berry recruiting thread was filled with how highly thought of he was. Neither one could play at this level and these type of decisions leave marks. These were not late in the process signings, these were guys the staff focused in on and made priorities, and they could not play at this level.

Disagree. The stars leads to news reports. The reports lead to rankings. It's not rocket surgery. EC got us national press. That leads to a following by the press. We also got JT. Two or three year development? Man, that is some stank philosophy. I want top 100 guys like Hurley got us.
Last edited by theblueram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Disagree. The stars leads to news reports. The reports lead to rankings. It's not rocket surgery. EC got us national press. That leads to a following by the press.
How did Harris do?

Carey?

Makhel?

Makhi?

All nationally ranked, BIG TIME recruits.

Ranked recruits do not automatically lead to being ranked in the polls.

All didn’t live up to expectations.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Disagree. The stars leads to news reports. The reports lead to rankings. It's not rocket surgery. EC got us national press. That leads to a following by the press.
How did Harris do?

Carey?

Makhel?

Makhi?

All nationally ranked, BIG TIME recruits.

Ranked recruits do not automatically lead to being ranked in the polls.

All didn’t live up to expectations.
Who was the coach?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You didn’t bring up the coach in your post at all.

You said stars lead to reports, and reports lead to rankings.

That happens sometimes, but not all time.

It’s just a fact that hs recruiting rankings are a total crapshoot.

They don’t guarantee anything on the court.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago You didn’t bring up the coach in your post at all.

15, you have to agree that if we signed 4 top 100 HS kids, the media would be all over it.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

15, you have to agree that if we signed 4 top 100 HS kids, the media would be all over it.
Oh absolutely, no denying that. That would happen at any school.

It’s great for press.

But if that team shits the bed mid way thru the season, those stars and rankings don’t mean anything, and the press goes away.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Oh absolutely, no denying that. That would happen at any school.

It’s great for press.

But if that team shits the bed mid way thru the season, those stars and rankings don’t mean anything, and the press goes away.
Well of course. Which we have seen here. But the hype is worth a lot. It builds recognition.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Austin’s in Indiana

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago Austin’s in Indiana

Any idea who he might be watching?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Austin’s in Indiana

Any idea who he might be watching?
I see you Austin Carroll don’t let all those blue blood coaches push you around
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Here's the Rivals top 150 for '23. Plenty of New Englanders there. I see about 10, including 4 from Brewster alone. We have to get back into this market.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2023
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Here's the Rivals top 150 for '23. Plenty of New Englanders there. I see about 10, including 4 from Brewster alone. We have to get back into this market.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2023
Austin could be big there with his NE ties
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22
ARD

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Lots of high majors recruiting him.
I believe he is class of 2023.
Already visited Seton Hall, St. John's, and UCLA.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This has got to be another Woodward relationship.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Williams played this weekend EYBL in Orlando for PSA Cardinals
Box scores for all 4 PSA Cardinal games in Orlando:

https://nikeeyb.com/eybl-orlando-schedule/

URI should encourage Lamar Odom to talk to Williams as Lamar went to Christ the King. I’m sure they thought of that already.
Ramfan22
ARD

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

We may have a good shot a Trey Autry.
Can either be a '22 or '23 recruit.
His father Adrian Autry is good friends with Archie.
Was going to be his associate HC at Dayton until a position opened up for him at Syracuse, where he played.
He is a CG and noted for his shooting ability.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
We may have a good shot a Trey Autry.
Can either be a '22 or '23 recruit.
His father Adrian Autry is good friends with Archie.
Was going to be his associated HC at Dayton until a position opened up for him at Syracuse, where he played.
He is a CG and noted for his shooting ability.
Red played at Tolentine (Bronx) with Malik Sealy (St. John's) and Brian Reece (UNC) in the late 80's. Little Louie almost had all three staying home with the Redmen. St. Nicks of Tolentine was considered the best team in the City during this time. Really like having Coach Woodward and a NYC guy who is very well respected on staff. Puts us in play with a lot of kids who have NYC bloodlines across the Northeast.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This isn’t in itself tremendously relevant but look at the picture that he put with it! Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

This isn’t in itself tremendously relevant but look at the picture that he put with it! Lol
I know it's photoshopped, but that picture will never get me to not laugh.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

First Archie recruits coming next week.

Looks good.
Ramfan22
ARD

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago First Archie recruits coming next week.

Looks good.
First announced recruits visiting next week. May of had some on campus already that nobody knew about.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looks good.
First announced recruits visiting next week. May of had some on campus already that nobody knew about.
Are you guys talking about recruits or transfers?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Looks good.
Thanks Billy for saying this.
Ramfan22
ARD

Looks good.
I just assumed transfers
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Concentrating on transfers and 2023 class.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most all of the Top 150 Class of 2022 are signed but these twins are not as yet:

Current April visit schedule
(*each current visit are scheduled to be taken in April)
21-23 – Guillermo and Jorge will be at Pittsburgh
24-26 Guillermo will be at Utah State, Jorge at Weber State
27-28 Guillermo will be at San Francisco, Jorge at George Washington
28-30 Guillermo and Jorge will be at UMass
https://www.on3.com/news/22-on3-150-twi ... al-visits/

Jim Carr on the Diaz twins

Jim Carr is the coach for the IMG Academy Academic team. Carr’s collegiate coaching stops include Rutgers and Rhode Island and he most recently coached at Tallahassee (FL) The University School with Vernon Carey, Scottie Barnes, and others.

on Guillermo: “Guillermo is so skilled. He is a 7-footer who can handle, shoot, and pass from any position on the floor. We do so much stuff with him. The added weight he has put on since arriving at IMG has allowed him to stand up in the post more. He is a very skilled player with so much upside.”

on Jorge: “Jorge shoots the three at such a high level, where he has improved since he got to IMG is attacking the rim. The added weight has given him more confidence off the bounce. Offensively, he is such a gifted kid already, and there is still so much upside as he continues growing into his body.”
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A10 All-Rookie Team 2021-2022
DaRon Holmes II, Dayton
Malachi Smith, Dayton
Brayon Freeman, George Washington
Erik Reynolds II, Saint Joseph's
Jayden Nunn, VCU

Currently visiting URI
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Archie is following him on twitter.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Freeman is also visiting Fordham on Monday. (Although hopefully not!)
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I really like Archie's approach to the transfer market so far. Seeking talented players with 3 years of eligibility so they can all grow up together.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Freeman is from DMV (Huntington Prep). I believe he grew up in DC. Connected with Ish on IG. I am guessing Ish is the player assigned to Freeman for his visit.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I really like Archie's approach to the transfer market so far. Seeking talented players with 3 years of eligibility so they can all grow up together.
Are you thinking he gets a majority of these players. Several play the same position. I see a few as either or. Hopefully they get 2 out of the 4 guards.
“We will be good when we are good.”