Upgrade to Meade?

All things Rhody Rams football.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Re: Upgrade to Meade?

Unread post by OBRAM »

My personal feeling is that the State will be in a very bad financial area soon like it was in January 2020 before the Feds started dumping money everywhere. If they have to pay back the tolls that will be a $100 million hit.
Just think if Eloza put $1 billion of borrowed money into the stock market a year ago like he wanted to fund the City of Providence's unfunded pensions then Providence would be another $300 million in the hole.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

They won’t have to pay back the tolls.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would say they definitely wouldn't be showing the renderings and posting them as a prominent social media post without there being any REALISTIC chance they would be built. I think its just a matter of time (money). The University does owe fans/students donors etc an update at some point though.
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bartoburger wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone hear any updates on the east stands getting replaced at Meade Stadium? I hope the new URI President is behind this plan. This project is in the $35-40 million dollar range if I was to take a guess. Too bad they didn't complete this 6 or 7 years ago it would have been much cheaper. Regardless I am hoping this project gets going sooner than later.
I would say President Parlange is behind the plan where URI is scheduled to put this up to a bond vote in November 2024. Whether the voters are behind it, well I'm hopeful but I strongly doubt it
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

So URI is stuck (for the next 4 seasons) with this lousey side of bleachers while the rest of the CAA continues to improve their football facilities? Wow! Talk about a state that could care less about their state's football program. Surprised they can put up some temp stands that seat 4k-5k costing 6 to 7 million in the meantime. Then transfer them to soccer stadium once the funding is available.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Two years to put it on the bond. Assuming it passes you probably can't even start demolishing the East stands until July 1, 2025 when the fiscal year starts, so you probably don't have new east stands until the 2026 season at the absolute earliest. Even if you can start demolishing them right after your last game of the 2024 season I'm not sure the timeline changes appreciably. That's assuming the bond passes, which I view as unlikely. I have no idea what the plan is if the bond doesn't pass
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Actually, I'm sorry. This is from something I posted two months ago:

"Latest information I came across is we're looking to put up a general obligation bond to voters in the November of 24 election for $82.3 million for Meade, the outdoor track, Beck, the soccer complex, the softball field, and pool repairs."

Athletics bond is on the 2024 ballot, not 2026. I'll edit my last couple of posts to avoid any confusion
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bartoburger wrote: 1 year ago So URI is stuck (for the next 4 seasons) with this lousey side of bleachers while the rest of the CAA continues to improve their football facilities? Wow! Talk about a state that could care less about their state's football program. Surprised they can put up some temp stands that seat 4k-5k costing 6 to 7 million in the meantime. Then transfer them to soccer stadium once the funding is available.
Playing devils advocate here,
I was disappointed that the Delaware at URI game last Saturday was not sold out. Here we had two teams Nationally ranked FCS Poll. Both teams 2-0 undefeated.

The Elon Game October 15 is sold out but that’s largely because URI combined Family Weekend with Alumni Weekend several years ago - removing the name Homecoming. These used to be separate games - Family Day where parents of students would be invited and then Homecoming for Alumni. There is much more demand because of this combining two events unfortunately. Plus with reducing capacity by 1,500 Meade recently just can’t hold much. Even MORE reason to go back to separating Family Weekend and Homecoming ( Alumni) Day.

So it’s a tougher sell to expand Meade Field Capacity when we can’t sell out in a 1,500 reduced capacity and a Nationally Ranked team and Opponent on a beautiful September day.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Bartoburger wrote: 1 year ago So URI is stuck (for the next 4 seasons) with this lousey side of bleachers while the rest of the CAA continues to improve their football facilities? Wow! Talk about a state that could care less about their state's football program. Surprised they can put up some temp stands that seat 4k-5k costing 6 to 7 million in the meantime. Then transfer them to soccer stadium once the funding is available.
I was disappointed that the Delaware at URI game last Saturday was not sold out. Here we had two teams Nationally ranked FCS Poll. Both teams 2-0 undefeated.

The Elon Game October 15 is sold out but that’s largely because URI combined Family Weekend with Alumni Weekend several years ago - removing the name Homecoming. These used to be separate games - Family Day where parents of students would be invited and then Homecoming for Alumni. There is much more demand because of this combining two events unfortunately. Plus with reducing capacity by 1,500 Meade recently just can’t hold much. Even MORE reason to go back to separating Family Weekend and Homecoming ( Alumni) Day.

So it’s a tougher sell to expand Meade Field Capacity when we can’t sell out in a 1,500 reduced capacity and a Nationally Ranked team and Opponent on a beautiful September day.
I agree with you Ramster that Saturday was a bad look. That said, new East stands aren't just about capacity, there's a very obvious safety issue there as well
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

I agree with you Ramster that Saturday was a bad look. That said, new East stands aren't just about capacity, there's a very obvious safety issue there as well
I know about the East Stands. I sit in them. They seem safe to me. I heard the capacity was reduced due to exiting capability.
They do need replacing but much of this discussion seems about a whole new stadium design and capacity increase.
I agree something should be done with East stands.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago They won’t have to pay back the tolls.
Lol so the trucking companies who were wrongly persecuted against and had the courts side with them are just going to say "keep our money, we know you learned your lesson."

Lol. Class action lawsuit incoming. Any trucking company out more than $5k in tolls over the past several years will get paid.

Not sure how this affects Meade. Infrastructure improvements are on the ballot next election. Let's just hope they don't collapse before then. I was terrified of them when I was 8 years old. I'm 35 now, and the only difference is the blue plastic on top of the bleachers.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

No, they can’t sue the state. The truckers admitted as much. There’s a legal obstacle to doing so.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If you build it, they will come. Actually some truth to that.
GO RAMS