1/12 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/12 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Mama Mitchell will freak out if Makhi doesn't start. She'll probably get a tech from the stands.
He played 13 minutes vs Davidson.
Because he was in foul trouble the whole game.
Yep.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

It was a JOKE. Forget it.
Unbelievable that it went so far that you actually had to say it was a joke. Well played.

FWIW....Hurls is getting flamed on the UConn board for not being able to win the close ones...
I'm not buying that it was a joke but sure, let's move on..
It was freakin sarcasm.

It’s like people come on here and complain about the last 6 minutes of the game with no solutions except the coach sucks and fire him.

You bought also that the coaching staff was working with the team to play less hard at the beginning? Don’t run up the score so we have no lead to lose?

Go back to Fire the Coach talk
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Unbelievable that it went so far that you actually had to say it was a joke. Well played.

FWIW....Hurls is getting flamed on the UConn board for not being able to win the close ones...
It was freakin sarcasm.

It’s like people come on here and complain about the last 6 minutes of the game with no solutions except the coach sucks and fire him.

You bought also that the coaching staff was working with the team to play less hard at the beginning? Don’t run up the score so we have no lead to lose?

It seems odd that you were responding as if you were serious for a few posts, then after people called you out, you said it was a joke. But fine, if it's a joke, it's a joke. As I said im moving on.

As for your statement about people giving no solutions, I don't see it this way..Many here felt the solution to the last game was playing through Walker. Since he was a huge part of our success, most were upset that Cox went away from him late. People have also discussed a new starting lineup and, more importantly, holding our guys more accountable. Especially with dumb fouls/techs.. I read a lot more posts about that than "coach sucks fire him."

Besides those final minutes, Cox did a great job, so hopefully, he's learned from it and gets better as we go through conference play. ..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It was freakin sarcasm.

It seems odd that you were responding as if you were serious for a few posts, then after people called you out, you said it was a joke. But fine, if it's a joke, it's a joke. As I said im moving on.

As for your statement about people giving no solutions, I don't see it this way..Many here felt the solution to the last game was playing through Walker. Since he was a huge part of our success, most were upset that Cox went away from him late. People have also discussed a new starting lineup and, more importantly, holding our guys more accountable. Especially with dumb fouls/techs.. I read a lot more posts about that than "coach sucks fire him."

Besides those final minutes, Cox did a great job, so hopefully, he's learned from it and gets better as we go through conference play. ..
Serious questions. No sarcasm or joke.
How did Cox do a bad job in those final 6 minutes?

What specifically did he do wrong and what would you change?

And what do you think Cox learned from it?

A couple thoughts from me:
Media and some posters here say URI made no field goals the last 6:48. Ok got it.

I’ve gone back and looked. There were many FTs made with 2 huge clutch FTs by Makhel in the last 6:48. You can’t make a FG when Davidson is fouling and you go to the line.
Jones made a tremendous drive and off balance shot in the lane that showed great body control and skill.
Makhel had a TO shortly after the Time out.

I’d let Leggett make that drive again. No problem with that play. Lee made the huge play on Leggett after Leggett handily beat his man…….and Jones played tough Defense on the rebound put back by Leggett.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It was freakin sarcasm.

He was down 1 with the ball and 39 seconds left in the game with 24 seconds on the shot clock. He didn't call a timeout and set up a play and provide guidance on the remainder of the game. I would have called a timeout, set up a play that used the full 24, and had a defensive strategy in place to win.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He also shouldn't have taken Walker out with 6:08 to go
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago He also shouldn't have taken Walker out with 6:08 to go
……..did Walker not play another minute?…….if not, we went 6 minutes without a hoop……..what up with that?……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago He also shouldn't have taken Walker out with 6:08 to go
……..did Walker not play another minute?…….if not, we went 6 minutes without a hoop……..what up with that?……..
Walker went back in at the 3:12 mark
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

He came back in with 3:12 left, but as our best player he should have been playing all of those final minutes
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

No one will ever know...probably about 36-3700 :roll:
Yup yup. They'll call the attendance ~1k higher than what's actually there.

It will be warmer tomorrow than it is today so that won't keep people away, but other than that I'm not guessing the crowd will be any more than 2,0000 as RS stated above.
And remember 800 of the tickets are free to each game as described by somebody in the AIC game thread. But they go into the count.

My guess tickets scanned 1500, reported attendance will be 4500

This ole chestnut again. Yes, free tickets and/or comps go into the overall attendance figure that is announced. That is simple, basic sports marketing 101. Day 1 stuff.

So I'm wrong? Go ahead, school me old man. tell us all how it works.
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

Yup yup. They'll call the attendance ~1k higher than what's actually there.

It will be warmer tomorrow than it is today so that won't keep people away, but other than that I'm not guessing the crowd will be any more than 2,0000 as RS stated above.
And remember 800 of the tickets are free to each game as described by somebody in the AIC game thread. But they go into the count.

This ole chestnut again. Yes, free tickets and/or comps go into the overall attendance figure that is announced. That is simple, basic sports marketing 101. Day 1 stuff.

Don’t care

What I want to know is actual bodies in seats. That’s what the players and coaches want.
But actual is not reported. All are scanned but then kept in a vault I guess.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Fouls by Davidson and Free Throws by URI the biggest reason
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

Don’t care

What I want to know is actual bodies in seats. That’s what the players and coaches want.
But actual is not reported. All are scanned but then kept in a vault I guess.
sure, that's what we all want. But actual is never reported. anywhere. ever. NCAA BB, NASCAR, WrestleMania, Stanley Cup playoffs, HS soccer, concerts, NFL, NCAA FB, ect. it's tickets distributed. I don't know why it's constantly mental masturbation on here.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Shepp and EA are our best foul shooters and should be on the court late in games
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It was a JOKE. Forget it.

I was laughing at 72 for taking it seriously...seemed an obvious joke to me. Really need to work on that sarcasm font, I guess...
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

He was down 1 with the ball and 39 seconds left in the game with 24 seconds on the shot clock. He didn't call a timeout and set up a play and provide guidance on the remainder of the game. I would have called a timeout, set up a play that used the full 24, and had a defensive strategy in place to win.
I definitely agree with what most have said regarding clock management and how Cox utilized the timeouts.

The biggest issue for me was the way he handled the rotation....

Walker was either scoring or finding the open man better than anyone on the team, and Davidson was having trouble defending it. Walker seems to have a great connection with Makhel.. When we played through Walker, great things happened.. We were up 62-58 when he decided to put Walker on the bench. HORRIBLE decision. Our offensive looked much worse the next few possessions, and we let Davidson back in it, which changed the momentum and lost us the game...We had a fortunate call when Shep clearly pushed off the player's chest, and he went to the line but other than that, our offense looked worse with him off the floor.. We needed Walker out there during those key possessions. Walker made a beautiful pass once he returned, leading to Makhel going to the line. After that possession, we seemed to force it to Makhel and clear out. We all know what ended up happening.

EA
18 minutes
2 pts
1-2 FG
3 Fouls
1 steal
0 assists
1 turnover

Thomas
9 minutes
2 pts
1-1 fg
0 fouls
1 steal
1 assist
0 turnovers

I wanted Thomas out there more....EA was doing nothing on offense, had a few dumb fouls, and a bad turnover late in the game.. He didn't close out after Malik got doubled screened and Lee hit that HUGE 3....Loyer was causing him many fits, which led to him going to the line a lot. I thought Thomas was playing solid defense, and we all know he's one of the better playmakers on our team.

Anyways I'm ready to focus on St. Joes. I think we win by 8-10

Go Rhody!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Start slower, be more consistent, don’t get such big leads early because all we do is keep losing them. Keep the score close then the last 6 minutes we don’t lose the game. We start winning the close ones. If we get too far ahead or behind then we won’t have the opportunity to experience the close ones. Play smart, don’t play dumb. Keep the score consistently close. Last 6 minutes are the key.
This post is as stupid as a blind three-legged dog chasing a Formula One racecar.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/12 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Ramster, I think you've caught more than your limit...you have to toss some back.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Start slower, be more consistent, don’t get such big leads early because all we do is keep losing them. Keep the score close then the last 6 minutes we don’t lose the game. We start winning the close ones. If we get too far ahead or behind then we won’t have the opportunity to experience the close ones. Play smart, don’t play dumb. Keep the score consistently close. Last 6 minutes are the key.
This post is as stupid as a blind three-legged dog chasing a Formula One racecar.
What’s even more stupid is posters believed it.

I’d bet the blind three-legged dog got the sarcasm.

Anyway, back to what do we change in the last 6 minutes of games and how we stop losing the lose one’s.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was laughing at 72 for taking it seriously...seemed an obvious joke to me. Really need to work on that sarcasm font, I guess...
Not buying that it was a joke makes the joke even better.

And 208,

When 72 was taking it seriously I actually thought 72 was going along with me. But then I thought if I’ve sucked in even 72 I better come clean. Plus when my favorite sign guy Rhode Jay thought maybe the coaching staff was really following this I felt bad.
I’m not as good at this stuff as you.
Best to keep sarcasm and humor to the Covid thread - imagine that scenario?
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Not buying that it was a joke makes the joke even better.

And 208,

When 72 was taking it seriously I actually thought 72 was going along with me. But then I thought if I’ve sucked in even 72 I better come clean. Plus when my favorite sign guy Rhode Jay thought maybe the coaching staff was really following this I felt bad.
I’m not as good at this stuff as you.
Best to keep sarcasm and humor to the Covid thread - imagine that scenario?
I’ve fallen for your trickery!!!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Would like to see a lineup that has martin at the 3, walker at the 4, and ONE MITCHELL ON THE FLOOR AT A TIME.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..did Bertrand play in the Davidson game?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I guess Lee was attempting to draw a charge comment was a joke, too, right?

I still don’t believe you but we said we were moving on so are you going to or not??

Start Walker!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I guess Lee was attempting to draw a charge comment was a joke, too, right?

I still don’t believe you but we said we were moving on so are you going to or not??

Start Walker!!!
Lee was not a joke

If you don’t believe me fine.

Then you should look tonight for David Cox to call a time out if we get off to too big a lead because as I said he doesn’t want to later blow a big lead - So of course the best way to not blow one is to never get a big lead in the first place.
And expect to see the slow start tonight that they have been working on this week in tonight’s game but look out for that last 6 minutes of the game when we blow the freakin doors off the Hawks!!!! You heard it here first.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I guess Lee was attempting to draw a charge comment was a joke, too, right?

Start Walker!!!
Lee was not a joke

If you don’t believe me fine.

Then you should look tonight for David Cox to call a time out if we get off to too big a lead because as I said he doesn’t want to later blow a big lead - So of course the best way to not blow one is to never get a big lead in the first place.
And expect to see the slow start tonight that they have been working on this week in tonight’s game but look out for that last 6 minutes of the game when we blow the freakin doors off the Hawks!!!! You heard it here first.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..did Bertrand play in the Davidson game?
...what?
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..did Bertrand play in the Davidson game?
Not sure if you’re being serious or not. Spoke to Betrand in Daytona. He’s not playing this year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

….ok, thx…….I thought I saw a stat sheet, from the lame sight I was looking during at during the game…….my bad……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My question - can David Cox finally have his team prepared to win an A-10 league home opener and then do so?
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago My question - can David Cox finally have his team prepared to win an A-10 league home opener and then do so?
wes bouts ta finds outs
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago 13 games - all with the same starting line up.

Cox in post games has applauded the play of Walker and Martin and the role they have played for this team going in with their talent. Last game he boasted about how great Walker has been all year.

Vs Davidson Walker (26 minutes) played the 4th most minutes on the team(his 2nd highest minutes of the season), Martin (25 minutes) played the 5th most minutes on the team. More than Starters El-Amin (18) and Makhi (13)

URI held Davidson to their lowest 3P Shooting percentage of the season at only 25%.
So why not just start Martin and Walker, they earned it.
It would be nice for them to be introduced in the starting lineup in the opening conference game at the RC.
As a 6 year old I still remember wanting Pinky to start Pete Daly over Sammy White.
NCAAs or Bust!
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

For those of you planning on going to Shaidzon before the game, they aren’t able to open. So stuck at Whalers instead. :(
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I’m pumped to actually watch a game at the Ryan Center against a solid opponent. Let’s go Rhody!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Mama Mitchell will freak out if Makhi doesn't start. She'll probably get a tech from the stands.
He played 13 minutes vs Davidson.
Because he was in foul trouble the whole game.

Yep, but sometimes you wonder what the coach is doing when they "protect" them from fouling out and they finish the game with 4 fouls. Not really the case in the Davidson game as Walker was playing so well
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..Igot an idea……..let’s start off the game slower, so that’s we gots engery to finish…….😏😉
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

At NET 131, a win against St Jokes would be our best win so far. :roll:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..Igot an idea……..let’s start off the game slower, so that’s we gots engery to finish…….😏😉
Bingo!!

Take Rhody - they are going to blow right by the 9 points!!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Same starters.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago 13 games - all with the same starting line up.

Cox in post games has applauded the play of Walker and Martin and the role they have played for this team going in with their talent. Last game he boasted about how great Walker has been all year.

Vs Davidson Walker (26 minutes) played the 4th most minutes on the team(his 2nd highest minutes of the season), Martin (25 minutes) played the 5th most minutes on the team. More than Starters El-Amin (18) and Makhi (13)

URI held Davidson to their lowest 3P Shooting percentage of the season at only 25%.
So why not just start Martin and Walker, they earned it.
It would be nice for them to be introduced in the starting lineup in the opening conference game at the RC.
Good question for Cox. He has gone with the same starting line up the entire OOC finishing 9-3.

Some starting line up changes that I can think off the top of my head the past 3 years:
Year 1: Cox changed out Tyrese Martin for Christian Thompson about time of A10 play
Year 3: Cox changed out Jermaine Harris from his starting role that he held his entire Freshman and Sophomore seasons
Year 3: Cox changed out Makhi Mitchell in place of Makhel Mitchell by the 3rd game of the season
Year 3: Cox changed out Jalen Carey in place of Malik Martin
Year 3: Cox changed out Malik Martin in place of Allen Betrand

It's up to Cox to win, make the NCAA Tournament.
If he starts Walker and Martin then he sits I'm guessing Makhi Mitchell and Ishmael El-Amin who then come off the bench.
Now Walker and Martin are potentially going up against subs from the opponent. Now Makhi and El-Amin will be coming in and going against those same opponent subs.

Risks would be players questions why the changes now? Why not at the beginning of the season? 2 guys might be happy, 2 guys might be unhappy - obviously but it does send a message that will be interpreted in ways possibly different from posters on this board and fans in the stands.

For me it's a decision making season. If a Head Coach can't make a serious run at an NCAA invite after 4 years then it's time to assess. If he doesn't start the right guys or give the optimal playing time for the team to excel then we likely have the wrong coach - but if the Head Coach is "forced" to make starting line up changes by the media, by the Athletic Director, by posters on KB, or other outside advisors then he is not actually going to fully own the results if the NCAA Bid is not achieved. We hired him to achieve specific goals. How he performs versus those goals is no different than how most of us perform in our jobs.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So, both Mitchell’s starting tonight. I thought there would be a different lineup after the late tech and Walker’s excellent play.

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago Same starters.
Yep. No surprise. It would have surprised me to see a change having had the same starters throughout OOC and then change with the very first A10 Conference game. Doesn't mean changes might not come later, but the timing for Game 1 would have been odd.

Important will be the distribution of minutes. A10 Conference Games are important for obvious Seeding in the A10 Tournament and for potentially winning the Auto-Bid. The coaching staff has had 2 months of and 12 games to assess player performance and team cohesion.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I would say there won't be any starting lineup changes this year that are not forced by injury, suspension, or some sort of availability issue. Maybe the reason DC looks so stressed is that he has starter promises to 4 families?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……lots of empty seats…….no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Does this count as a slow start?
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Does this count as a slow start?
The plan is to start slow, remember?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Does this count as a slow start?
They're waiting for the crowd to show up?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mitchell’s are hitting their open outside shots
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Off to another night of disappointing play even if we somehow manage to win.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ahh so we’re not making any changes. Let’s see how it plays out!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL