1/2 American International College | 2:30pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/2 American International College | 2:30pm

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

For those who were there

Best game or GREATEST game you've ever seen?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago 3662 in attendance.
This has to be including pigeons on the roof sheltering from the rain.
How many times does it need to be stated this is tickets sold? I'm assuming they are including the La Salle tickets purchased included in this number.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What did everyone want Rhody to do? Take 3+ weeks ago and then play back to back conference games, only to have everyone here bitch about how unprepared and rusty we looked against GM and Davidson?
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago What did everyone want Rhody to do? Take 3+ weeks ago and then play back to back conference games, only to have everyone here bitch about how unprepared and rusty we looked against GM and Davidson?
Yes, they did need to find any opponent last minute prior to our road trip.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago
This has to be including pigeons on the roof sheltering from the rain.
How many times does it need to be stated this is tickets sold? I'm assuming they are including the La Salle tickets purchased included in this number.
It is embarrassing! It makes it look the program is in a better place than it is. There is no interest or excitement with this program. That is the bottom line for a variety of reasons and some that they had no control over.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

More like 662
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago For those who were there

Best game or GREATEST game you've ever seen?
Just about unwatchable
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Smallest Ryan Center crowd for a game that fans were allowed in since William & Mary visited 12/22/2016 (3,570).
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago What did everyone want Rhody to do? Take 3+ weeks ago and then play back to back conference games, only to have everyone here bitch about how unprepared and rusty we looked against GM and Davidson?

I would hope they could get at least a lower levelD1 school to play. Do you think DH would have gotten a better “tune “up game For that matter, do u think our A10 fellow schools would have done better than a Div 2 schools.

Would love to know what schools they contacted ?

Sorry this falls on he program and of course it is another likely Cox missed opportunity.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just got home from one of the more scintillating college basketball games and atmosphere ever.. didn't even have time to grab a $10 beer because the action was so riveting.. the good if there was any: El Amin 4-5 from 3 pt land. This kid needs to look more for his offense. Malik Martin 100% all the time. Sebastian Thomas a true point guard. Freshmen getting playing time. The bad. Where is Shepard?? The Mitchell's. They do not get the team concept and are turning into 2 of the biggest cry babies I have seen in all my years of watching uri hoops, especially makhi. Multiple times he is crying to the refs with play continuing near him.. not good.. the worst. Cox not controlling these 2 players and standing for most of the game on the sidelines like a mannequin. This program is in trouble without a drastic change in direction and philosophy.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

I would hope they could get at least a lower levelD1 school to play. Do you think DH would have gotten a better “tune “up game For that matter, do u think our A10 fellow schools would have done better than a Div 2 schools.

Sorry this falls on he program and of course it is another likely Cox missed opportunity.

FACTS

Dan Hurley @ URI
Hurley did not schedule the maximum number of games in multiple seasons. He did however play non D1 schools in two of his six seasons. Hurley put together two season schedules months in advance with no pandemic that included non D1 schools Metro State and Pace.

A-10 make-up games 2021-22
GMU added and played AT Kansas. Top A-10 NET ranked Davidson added a home game with non D1 Johnson & Wales-Charlotte.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Why the constant DH comparisons?
He chose to leave our program 4 years ago, get over it already.

Look Cox has deserved his fair share of criticism, but not sure I could blame him for this one.
Nobody here has all the facts of what went on in scheduling this game, so let's not point any fingers.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago Do I dare ask the score?
I think the only positive I can come up with us at least Antonio Brown is not on the team. Check out the footage of him walking off the field today if you haven’t seen it yet. I expect him to be released tomorrow.
Sorry this is off topic.
Already released.
68E941D5-3498-456B-8E62-B3A9F18AEAB8.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Just got home from one of the more scintillating college basketball games and atmosphere ever.. didn't even have time to grab a $10 beer because the action was so riveting.. the good if there was any: El Amin 4-5 from 3 pt land. This kid needs to look more for his offense. Malik Martin 100% all the time. Sebastian Thomas a true point guard. Freshmen getting playing time. The bad. Where is Shepard?? The Mitchell's. They do not get the team concept and are turning into 2 of the biggest cry babies I have seen in all my years of watching uri hoops, especially makhi. Multiple times he is crying to the refs with play continuing near him.. not good.. the worst. Cox not controlling these 2 players and standing for most of the game on the sidelines like a mannequin. This program is in trouble without a drastic change in direction and philosophy.
12 games in and this crap is still going on. That's a fireable offense.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Just got home from one of the more scintillating college basketball games and atmosphere ever.. didn't even have time to grab a $10 beer because the action was so riveting.. the good if there was any: El Amin 4-5 from 3 pt land. This kid needs to look more for his offense. Malik Martin 100% all the time. Sebastian Thomas a true point guard. Freshmen getting playing time. The bad. Where is Shepard?? The Mitchell's. They do not get the team concept and are turning into 2 of the biggest cry babies I have seen in all my years of watching uri hoops, especially makhi. Multiple times he is crying to the refs with play continuing near him.. not good.. the worst. Cox not controlling these 2 players and standing for most of the game on the sidelines like a mannequin. This program is in trouble without a drastic change in direction and philosophy.
Not exactly sure what the fireable offense is 12 games in?
They are still young and emotional, I am sure that has been addressed.

I have been to many games and Cox is usually pretty animated, that hasn't been an issue.

Besides if he is gone at the end of the season, you won't have to be concerned about the Mitchells anymore.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Play a game, any game, and they did. Rhody and their fans escaped it last year, but sudden cancellations and no practice make it rough for everyone. Ugly basketball all around. And, since it was mentioned above, Metro State was part of a tournament. Rhody didn’t schedule them.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I like the 9-3 record, really I could say the same about playing my son in the driveway. Yay big win!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago I like the 9-3 record, really I could say the same about playing my son in the driveway. Yay big win!
Anytime I beat my son in the driveway it's a huge win...
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……and for those at the game today, any reviews on beer change over……..cup holders on seats……?
Brands for sale, prices………?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……and for those at the game today, any reviews on beer change over……..cup holders on seats……?
Brands for sale, prices………?
Didn't partake today but there were 2 concession stands and 1 cart selling 🍻.. think prices were $9 and $10.. all cans.. rise, bud light, Sam winter and gansett I do believe.. no cup holders and pub areas are no longer curtained off . High tops set up in those open areas..
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago I like the 9-3 record, really I could say the same about playing my son in the driveway. Yay big win!
Doesn’t it feel more like they are 3-9?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Doesn’t it feel more like they are 3-9?
I'd be psyched if I was 3-9 vs my son in the driveway...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

15 pt. win against a D2 team.

Pathetic.

Twins do what they want when they want.

We need a coach that doesn't promise carte blanche to players in order to get them to come here.

Desperate recruiting.....Cox's rep as a recruiter is overblown.

They are going to get crushed on the road...I only hope they play the games....anything to hasten DC's demise.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 15 pt. win against a D2 team.

Pathetic.

We need a coach that doesn't promise carte blanche to players in order to get them to come here.

They are going to get crushed on the road...I only hope they play the games....anything to hasten DC's demise.

You are truly the most depressing person I have ever read on the internet.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 15 pt. win against a D2 team.

Pathetic.

You are truly the most depressing person I have ever read on the internet.
The truth can be quite depressing at times...
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Someone post a pic from inside the Ryan.
Here I am

D0XKT1BWsAEhn6a2.jpg
The legend right there!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

GansettSummer wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Someone post a pic from inside the Ryan.
Here I am

D0XKT1BWsAEhn6a2.jpg
Why mislead everyone Jay? That's clearly an old picture, it says Alex and Ani on the court.
LMAO! We all know everyone misses the guy!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Would they have been better off playing a scrimmage against the women's team during this covid break instead of a D2 team?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago ...
Doesn't seem like long ago that we were on the same level as UConn and PC?
When was the last time that we were a good (NCAAT) team for "more" than 2 years in a row? Remember how far we fell after JH departed? Reason: lack of institutional commitment to MBB.
From 92-99 we played in 4 NCAAs and 2 NITs - that’s a pretty prolonged period of success. Institutional commitment was nowhere near where it is today. The difference…great coaches.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
When was the last time that we were a good (NCAAT) team for "more" than 2 years in a row? Remember how far we fell after JH departed? Reason: lack of institutional commitment to MBB.
From 92-99 we played in 4 NCAAs and 2 NITs - that’s a pretty prolonged period of success. Institutional commitment was nowhere near where it is today. The difference…great coaches.
Truth! I was a school-aged kid during those years so didn't pay much attention to the contracts coaches sign, but how were we able to be consistent with coaches like Pender, Skinner, Harrick, etc.? Was it less about the money and notoriety then and more about coaching? Again, I was in elementary and middle school during those years so I don't have a lot of insight into this. CFL's first year was my freshman year and the first year of the RC, I sincerely thought between the USC and Pitt game that we were going to be big time....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rhody 15 has taken over from DC Rams when it comes to trashing my opinions, of course dozens of others on here feel the same way and express it here too, yet he loves to pick me out for criticism.

You can take a hike, you're blocked.

I would love to use a lot stronger language, but I'm above that.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
I really liked Al Skinner and he left Harrick a championship team in 97-98.
It still took him 5 years to get to the NCAAT.
Penders took us to the Sweet 16 in 87-88.
In 88-89 Skinner had Leslie, Evans, Green, Dixon, Sina, Colson, and Kent, the team finished 13-15 (9-9)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At least he got us to the dance, unlike quite a few of our other coaches over the years.

He fit the URI profile, got decent talent here, and got the most out of it imo. Worked out of a frigging trailer outside Keaney for a time.

He used to be called "One in four Al" meaning NCAA's average every 4 years.

By URI profile, I mean getting to the tourney every few years is what should be reasonably expected for our cash-challenged program.

Not only that, Al wanted to stay here and likely retire here. We could have done a lot worse.....and of course we have, often lol.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

We are clearly years away from another NCAAT.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago At least he got us to the dance, unlike quite a few of our other coaches over the years.

He fit the URI profile, got decent talent here, and got the most out of it imo. Worked out of a frigging trailer outside Keaney for a time.

By URI profile, I mean getting to the tourney every few years is what should be reasonably expected for our cash-challenged program.

Not only that, Al wanted to stay here and likely retire here. We could have done a lot worse.....and of course we have, often lol.
I agree and think we could've done more to keep him.

But what I am saying is even after being a part of the Sweet 16 coaching staff, success as a HC wasn't immediate for him.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well we went 15+ years without one, until Dan.

The longer URI hangs on to DC, the closer it will get to another 15 years.

77, you are right, but you could see progress...he was a competent coach....he ran an offensive system [the flex] that often worked.

The only issue he had was he was reluctant to call timeouts when the opponents went on a run.

With more resources, he did a good job at BC....7 NCAA appearances, although he had a hard tine advancing in the tourney.

He also surrounded himself with good assistants who could recruit, since he really didn't care for that part of the job.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Al was a great guy too. I knew him better than any other URI coach, he was always willing to sit down and talk...especially at Casey's, which was the main URI hangout at the time. Same with Penders, he was there often.

I think I saw Baron there ONCE in all his time at URI.

I was bummed big time when URI basically told him to shove off.....of course look what happened with Harrick.

You can't trade what JH did here for anything however. It's just what happened after he left was awful.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Look Cox has deserved his fair share of criticism, but not sure I could blame him for this one.
Nobody here has all the facts of what went on in scheduling this game, so let's not point any fingers.
Ok. Get it, u r right, DH is gone. The comparisons with DH are simply the way a program should be run. You will note that my DH reference was followed up with A10 coaches as a comparison with Cox. What programs have a worse coaching STAFF than Rhody.

Regardless of Cox’s capabilities, he is still responsible for having two junior type coaches (TJ and CARROLL). Austin was a video coordinator at Arizona, Th, his first coaching position and Bozeman, who might very well be on the downward slope of his coaching career. He was certainly not a coach with a proven recent record that we had to recruit away from a winning program.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago Would they have been better off playing a scrimmage against the women's team during this covid break instead of a D2 team?
URI WBB would kick their @ss.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago Would they have been better off playing a scrimmage against the women's team during this covid break instead of a D2 team?
URI WBB would kick their @ss.
All the respect in the world for URI WBB, but they would get killed
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Probably the worst 9-3 team in the country. But don’t fret, they will soon be 9-5 so fasten your seatbelt, the ride is about to get bumpy.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Probably the worst 9-3 team in the country. But don’t fret, they will soon be 9-5 so fasten your seatbelt, the ride is about to get bumpy.
First of all, should be 8-3, it is difficult for me to actually consider this a real win.
It was only meaningful in getting some "game" under our belt before leaving.

Unless our play improves dramatically, 8-5 is probably correct when we return to the RC.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A little trivia from the GM fan board.

Longtime George Mason HC Jim Larranaga started his head coaching career at AIC.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I just read a great article about Paolo Banchero, Duke frosh phenom and possible #1 pick in the draft. His mom is a former WNBA player and all-time leading scorer at U Washington. Even though top college programs tried to recruit him as a high school sophomore she pushed him so relentlessly he asked her to stop going to his games for a while. He picked Duke because as his father put it, Coach K would "punch him in the mouth." He's the top prospect in the country and he and his family aren't satisfied or complacent. Do you think we'll ever have a player - or coach - who thinks that way?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago At least he got us to the dance, unlike quite a few of our other coaches over the years.

Folks on this board would've been complaining about Al Skinner because he wasn't animated enough on the sidelines and he didn't recruit enough 3/4 stars. It's revisionist to say otherwise. (Skinner would've tried to recruit RI high school kids who were worthy and folks would've complained about RI high school kids not being good enough to play at this level and you've gotta go recruit Philly and DC.)
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I just read a great article about Paolo Banchero, Duke frosh phenom and possible #1 pick in the draft. His mom is a former WNBA player and all-time leading scorer at U Washington. Even though top college programs tried to recruit him as a high school sophomore she pushed him so relentlessly he asked her to stop going to his games for a while. He picked Duke because as his father put it, Coach K would "punch him in the mouth." He's the top prospect in the country and he and his family aren't satisfied or complacent. Do you think we'll ever have a player - or coach - who thinks that way?
So URI has never had a kid work as hard or put in the time like Banchero? Ever? All URI players have been complacent and satisfied. You know this for a fact. Garrick, Mike Andersen, Haasan, etc. You've told those guys that I assume?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Honestly, once the A10 refused to be creative and nimble with the scheduling and set us up with a league game it didn't matter who we played. Based on our previously scheduled non-conference games, this season has only hinged on the conference schedule for tournament seeding and then the conference tournament
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Is that a trick question? The constant comparisons are because our last coach showed us what our potential was and our current coach is coming far short of us reaching that potential
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not exactly sure what the fireable offense is 12 games in?
They are still young and emotional, I am sure that has been addressed.

I have been to many games and Cox is usually pretty animated, that hasn't been an issue.

Besides if he is gone at the end of the season, you won't have to be concerned about the Mitchells anymore.
Animated compared to what? A glacier? Molasses in the winter time? A 600 pound person on a 95 degree day? Animated is not an adjective that comes to mind when describing David Cox
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Probably the worst 9-3 team in the country. But don’t fret, they will soon be 9-5 so fasten your seatbelt, the ride is about to get bumpy.
Our best win is beating KenPom #141 Boston College by six at a neutral site four days after beating them at home. That 9-3 record couldn't be more padded