At This Point In The Season, is it Way Too Early To Say...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Re: At This Point In The Season, is it Way Too Early To Say...

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ...that this is the most complete, deepest, and most talented URI team in HISTORY?

Probably. But guess what I'm going to say anyway??

It's an absolutely outlandish and aggressive, possibly irresponsible take for a fan of my fragility and volatility, but I might as well give it a shot. Dropped the baby off at my parents and we wound up talking hoops for about 45 minutes so now I'm all jazzed up. That and since Ed Cooley is a pussy and we might not have basketball for a week, I need to post a long-winded take.

1st off - most complete. We have been blessed, albeit for brief periods, with some truly talented and amazing teams in Kingston. Few, however, gave you the feeling of a "complete" team. 1998 comes to mind - elite PG play (Tyson), phenomenal scoring at the 2 and 3 (Cat and King), and traditional, beastly (albeit a tad undersized) play in the front court from ARD and Luther. The bench gave you Preston - but after that it was on Arigbabu (who I LOVED), and maybe John Bennett who got in there sparingly.

For a starting 5 - this was the most complete on both ends of the floor that was in my lifetime. I am leaning on the more seasoned fans to give a take on the 1988 team, but based on the games I've watched of them - they were as complete a team as you could hope. Phenomenal guard play from Tom Garrick. Scoring from Silk and Evans - and a rigid front court of Green/Sina/Colson.

Hurley's teams, though defensive stalwarts and talented in their own right - always lacked a 'true" big man down low. Granted, Hassan Martin is probably the best pound for pound low post defender in Keaney Blue history - but imagine if we had a traditional big playing the 5 to truly allow him to roam and help instead of be locked under the hoop. Think if you subbed either one of the Mitchell twins for Andre Berry on the 2018 team? Guaranteed Bagley and Carter don't abuse us the way they did.

Also, Hurley's teams lacked a "shooter" - obviously we had scoring, and EC/Jared always made big shots - but not with any regularity. It was their tenacious defense that won us game, very rarely a "dagger" 3 to put it out of reach.

From a "most complete" perspective - this team presents a shooting threat we haven't seen since Jimmy Baron (Shepp). A low-post presence we haven't seen since '98 (no offense to the honorable mention of Seawright/Martell) with Walker/Mitchell/Mitchell. There's speed at the #1 position we haven't seen since Tyson (Fatts). One place we've been particularly blessed with is scoring flexibility at the wing - KI/Delroy/any of Hurleys "guards - but we have a stud in Jalen Carey.

From a depth perspective - we have 8 players averaging 5 points or more. 9 and 10 average 4.8 and 4.7. This "runnin rams" concept really starts to work when you can run 9 or 10 guys out at people - especially when the talent drop off isn't significant.

All these other historic URI teams ran about 6 or 7 guys and then you saw a steep drop off. Hurley ran deep - but with an abundance of guards and "positionless" players - meaning you'd have Stan Robinson playing the low post a lot of the time.

In the A-10, you could make a case that every single player on this roster could find a starting spot at almost every school. That's insane.

You have 2 or 3 guys that can do the same type of thing. You have 4 reliable ball handling guards. Fatt/Shepp/Carey/Legget. 2 of them are reliable PG's who can set the offense, distribute, and run the team - Fatts/Shepp. You have a multitude of guys who can play the 3 and do any number of different things offensively and defensively in Carey/Martin/DJ. You have athleticism, defense, and scoring from the front court we've never seen at this level - Walker/Mitchell/Mitchell are all capable of scoring, rebounding, and protecting the rim in a way we haven't seen from a rotation of players.

Those are 9 guys collectively that are going to be able to give you a minimum of 15 minutes a game. That's insanity.

As far as "talent" obviously that remains to be seen. But in terms of shooting (Shepp/Carey/maybe DJ), scoring (Fatts, Shepp, Carey, Ish), defense (literally everyone), low post offense/defense (Mitchell/Mitchell/Walker), outside defense (fatts/Martin/Carey) - these players have fundamentals and look more polished coming into a new system than any group of players I can remember.

So this is probably an irresponsible, fan-boy post, slanted by a recentcy bias - but I don't care. This team is going places when they pull it all together.
Still think so Blue Man?

Blue Man » 17 minutes ago

I feel like it’s the same move over and over again with this program. Pretty much for my entire life.

We just aren’t big time. Aren’t ready for it. Crumble when it counts.
Christ we can’t even bitch during an embarrassing loss now?

Holy shit you guys are sensitive.

An embarrassing loss in December isn’t an indictment on the entire season but it can still be depressing in the moment.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago He’s a joke...
Haha fuck you.

You are the fakest of fake ass fanboys to ever come through here.

You have no contextual understanding of what being a long time fan of this program is. You came with a coach. I’ve lived and died with this team through 7.

Congrats on being so positive through everything - which comes from not being a fan or emotionally invested in the team.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Haha fuck you.

You have no contextual understanding of what being a long time fan of this program is. You came with a coach. I’ve lived and died with this team through 7.

Congrats on being so positive through everything - which comes from not being a fan or emotionally invested in the team.
That's his problem. He's not a fan. Not an Alum. And has probably never been on our campus. Certainly never had one of your breakfast sandwiches with a beer at 9AM before a game either.
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

All right you two that’s not fair!

GO RHODY!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago All right you two that’s not fair!

GO RHODY!
But calling Blueman a joke is ok?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Blueman is way way too tuff to give a f about that!

GO RHODY!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ...that this is the most complete, deepest, and most talented URI team in HISTORY?

Probably. But guess what I'm going to say anyway??

It's an absolutely outlandish and aggressive, possibly irresponsible take for a fan of my fragility and volatility, but I might as well give it a shot. Dropped the baby off at my parents and we wound up talking hoops for about 45 minutes so now I'm all jazzed up. That and since Ed Cooley is a pussy and we might not have basketball for a week, I need to post a long-winded take.

1st off - most complete. We have been blessed, albeit for brief periods, with some truly talented and amazing teams in Kingston. Few, however, gave you the feeling of a "complete" team. 1998 comes to mind - elite PG play (Tyson), phenomenal scoring at the 2 and 3 (Cat and King), and traditional, beastly (albeit a tad undersized) play in the front court from ARD and Luther. The bench gave you Preston - but after that it was on Arigbabu (who I LOVED), and maybe John Bennett who got in there sparingly.

For a starting 5 - this was the most complete on both ends of the floor that was in my lifetime. I am leaning on the more seasoned fans to give a take on the 1988 team, but based on the games I've watched of them - they were as complete a team as you could hope. Phenomenal guard play from Tom Garrick. Scoring from Silk and Evans - and a rigid front court of Green/Sina/Colson.

Hurley's teams, though defensive stalwarts and talented in their own right - always lacked a 'true" big man down low. Granted, Hassan Martin is probably the best pound for pound low post defender in Keaney Blue history - but imagine if we had a traditional big playing the 5 to truly allow him to roam and help instead of be locked under the hoop. Think if you subbed either one of the Mitchell twins for Andre Berry on the 2018 team? Guaranteed Bagley and Carter don't abuse us the way they did.

Also, Hurley's teams lacked a "shooter" - obviously we had scoring, and EC/Jared always made big shots - but not with any regularity. It was their tenacious defense that won us game, very rarely a "dagger" 3 to put it out of reach.

From a "most complete" perspective - this team presents a shooting threat we haven't seen since Jimmy Baron (Shepp). A low-post presence we haven't seen since '98 (no offense to the honorable mention of Seawright/Martell) with Walker/Mitchell/Mitchell. There's speed at the #1 position we haven't seen since Tyson (Fatts). One place we've been particularly blessed with is scoring flexibility at the wing - KI/Delroy/any of Hurleys "guards - but we have a stud in Jalen Carey.

From a depth perspective - we have 8 players averaging 5 points or more. 9 and 10 average 4.8 and 4.7. This "runnin rams" concept really starts to work when you can run 9 or 10 guys out at people - especially when the talent drop off isn't significant.

All these other historic URI teams ran about 6 or 7 guys and then you saw a steep drop off. Hurley ran deep - but with an abundance of guards and "positionless" players - meaning you'd have Stan Robinson playing the low post a lot of the time.

In the A-10, you could make a case that every single player on this roster could find a starting spot at almost every school. That's insane.

You have 2 or 3 guys that can do the same type of thing. You have 4 reliable ball handling guards. Fatt/Shepp/Carey/Legget. 2 of them are reliable PG's who can set the offense, distribute, and run the team - Fatts/Shepp. You have a multitude of guys who can play the 3 and do any number of different things offensively and defensively in Carey/Martin/DJ. You have athleticism, defense, and scoring from the front court we've never seen at this level - Walker/Mitchell/Mitchell are all capable of scoring, rebounding, and protecting the rim in a way we haven't seen from a rotation of players.

Those are 9 guys collectively that are going to be able to give you a minimum of 15 minutes a game. That's insanity.

As far as "talent" obviously that remains to be seen. But in terms of shooting (Shepp/Carey/maybe DJ), scoring (Fatts, Shepp, Carey, Ish), defense (literally everyone), low post offense/defense (Mitchell/Mitchell/Walker), outside defense (fatts/Martin/Carey) - these players have fundamentals and look more polished coming into a new system than any group of players I can remember.

So this is probably an irresponsible, fan-boy post, slanted by a recentcy bias - but I don't care. This team is going places when they pull it all together.
Still think so Blue Man?

I feel like it’s the same move over and over again with this program. Pretty much for my entire life.

An embarrassing loss in December isn’t an indictment on the entire season but it can still be depressing in the moment.
I appreciate your intensity Blue Man, but I did get a kick out of your thread that this is our best team "ever" this early in the year.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Still think so Blue Man?

I appreciate your intensity Blue Man, but I did get a kick out of your thread that this is our best team "ever" this early in the year.
I mean I did say “is it way too early to say” lol.

Still could be. Just a really pathetic showing that we weren’t ready for.

Give to Rhody's NIL
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

I will be the one to break from the bickering to give my two cents on your original post - notably after watching last nights game.

Are they one of the best teams ever? Probably not. I think on paper looking at the individual talent you might have an argument, but as team play goes I dont think they have it. Before you flame me I will agree that this is a weird season and yes I understand they haven't had the preseason time to develop together.

THAT SAID - The last few games I think you can MAYBE start to see how and why we ended up with the fallen pieces of notable programs. Our transfer players have talent and generally I will agree we are a MUCH improved team.... but they also have some glaring flaws. The fouling on defense is ridiculous, the poor FT shooting is a problem, and I dont see the players trying to find (and stick to) their respective roles. Not everyone is a 3pt shooter!!!

There is another issue I want to address - and yes its been well documented here I am not really a Cox fan - but where is the game planning?! Where are the set plays on offense?! Why are we not using the strengths we have?! The twins can rebound, Shep can shoot, Fatts can ball handle... use it the right way! It still feels, like the last couple seasons, that our guys are just out there playing pick up basketball. Maybe its just me, but when I watch this team come down court my fingers are crossed - I have no idea what is going to happen and a basket on our possession is like a "oh thank god we scored". Its never like a confident possession

OK now my last unpopular take... I am a big on Jalen Carey. He might be a key to this offense that is being underutilized. He has a great mid-range shot, he finishes well, knows how to draw contact. Perhaps giving him an expanded role, dare I say pulling a bit off Fatts plate?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Haha fuck you.

That's his problem. He's not a fan. Not an Alum. And has probably never been on our campus. Certainly never had one of your breakfast sandwiches with a beer at 9AM before a game either.
I received my post grad degree (DBA) from URI. Try again.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In our last two games against two of the biggest teams in the country Makhel and Makhi have combined for 34 points and 23 rebounds. That bodes well for A10 play where we rarely will face formidable front lines like the last 2. And they are only sophomores...patience folks.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....back to the topic, my first post in the thread.......it, for me, “way to early to say” that I do not need to look for a bridge to jump off, nor anoint this team as anything except a work in progress.....at this point in the season.....collection of individual talent? Sure......meshing into a unit on both ends off floor? unknown.......long way to go, way to many games ahead, and variables the coaching staff will have to adapt to......As usual for me, the path to a Dance bid lies ahead in the A-10 schedule.......not exactly a news flash here, but where my head is at after these games.....
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago In our last two games against two of the biggest teams in the country Makhel and Makhi have combined for 34 points and 23 rebounds. That bodes well for A10 play where we rarely will face formidable front lines like the last 2. And they are only sophomores...patience folks.
Really - "freshmen" as they played sparingly for 1 semester last year.

I'm still wildly optimistic about this team - talent-wise.

Obviously they need to gel - top to bottom. Cox needs to understand what he has and how to maximize the right combinations. He also needs to stop taking time outs to kill OUR momentum, while letting other teams go on runs unchecked.

Fatts needs to stop trying to shoot 3's. Period. He's not a 3 point shooter. He's streaky at best, but if he goes 0-2 he should put the gun away and go back to driving. Kid is either on or off, and if he's off and shooting 10 times in a night we will lose.

Sheppard needs to be more involved. I don't know if it's him not being assertive enough, or the ball not coming to him, but he is our ONLY shooting threat on this team. Every time we've pulled any game close, it was because of him. For the love of God get him the ball.

I love what Walker has turned into this year, especially defensively - but yesterday was a clear step back. We do not have/do not need a point-forward on this team. He is not KI, Delroy, or Lamar. Like Fatts - he's at his best when he's inside of himself. Within 10 feet - or coming outside to set up for a quick cut to the basket. Having him handling the ball or shooting the ball absolutely should not happen.

The Mitchell's will foul. That is fine. They are young, and all their fouls are aggressive and attacking the ball or the shooter. Agreed that what they are doing around the basket against high level competition is just what the doctor ordered. Yes - we could've used Harris yesterday. He is a big body that can give you a few fouls. Doesn't mean we lost because he wasn't there or that we need him playing 20 mins, but this team needs Harris to contribute 10-12 mins to be successful.

I still stand by my statement - since 1998 URI has never had a shooter of this caliber AND a legitimate front court (would hear arguments for Seawright/Martell and Baron, but that team collapsing hurts me to this day) at the same time.

As embarrassed and disheartened as the first half yesterday made me, that was the toughest team we will see for the rest of the year unless we go dancing. Everyone will get better after that.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago In our last two games against two of the biggest teams in the country Makhel and Makhi have combined for 34 points and 23 rebounds. That bodes well for A10 play where we rarely will face formidable front lines like the last 2. And they are only sophomores...patience folks.
Really - "freshmen" as they played sparingly for 1 semester last year.

I'm still wildly optimistic about this team - talent-wise.

Obviously they need to gel - top to bottom. Cox needs to understand what he has and how to maximize the right combinations. He also needs to stop taking time outs to kill OUR momentum, while letting other teams go on runs unchecked.

Fatts needs to stop trying to shoot 3's. Period. He's not a 3 point shooter. He's streaky at best, but if he goes 0-2 he should put the gun away and go back to driving. Kid is either on or off, and if he's off and shooting 10 times in a night we will lose.

Sheppard needs to be more involved. I don't know if it's him not being assertive enough, or the ball not coming to him, but he is our ONLY shooting threat on this team. Every time we've pulled any game close, it was because of him. For the love of God get him the ball.

I love what Walker has turned into this year, especially defensively - but yesterday was a clear step back. We do not have/do not need a point-forward on this team. He is not KI, Delroy, or Lamar. Like Fatts - he's at his best when he's inside of himself. Within 10 feet - or coming outside to set up for a quick cut to the basket. Having him handling the ball or shooting the ball absolutely should not happen.

The Mitchell's will foul. That is fine. They are young, and all their fouls are aggressive and attacking the ball or the shooter. Agreed that what they are doing around the basket against high level competition is just what the doctor ordered. Yes - we could've used Harris yesterday. He is a big body that can give you a few fouls. Doesn't mean we lost because he wasn't there or that we need him playing 20 mins, but this team needs Harris to contribute 10-12 mins to be successful.

I still stand by my statement - since 1998 URI has never had a shooter of this caliber AND a legitimate front court (would hear arguments for Seawright/Martell and Baron, but that team collapsing hurts me to this day) at the same time.

As embarrassed and disheartened as the first half yesterday made me, that was the toughest team we will see for the rest of the year unless we go dancing. Everyone will get better after that.
Good post but what degree do you have??
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Certainly never had one of your breakfast sandwiches with a beer at 9AM before a game either.
I have and they were spectacular. That was a fun morning before the Valpo game a few years ago!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Certainly never had one of your breakfast sandwiches with a beer at 9AM before a game either.
I have and they were spectacular. That was a fun morning before the Valpo game a few years ago!
Ugh the first game after EC went down. Hell of a time. I do remember ripping my shirt off and threatening a Valpo fan after he got into it with one of our season ticket holders.

Breakfast beers always start a day off right.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Haha fuck you.

I received my post grad degree (DBA) from URI. Try again.
Then I apologize. But you still never had a BlueMan breakfast sandwich tail gating at 9am. :D
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is JH playing tomorrow??
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by class of 86 »

At this point my season is way too early to say.......We have too much de pth on the bench and somebody's gonna wanna leave to go play somewhere else with more playing time.....Who's gonna transfer out?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Still stand by the statement on the talent.

This is going the way of an 08-09 Baron team.

Immense talent going to waste. At least we won’t have a bunch of OOC wins to disappoint us with.

Still could turn it around - but it will take a historic A-10 or tournament run to make the dance.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Here's how I complete the headline question of this thread ...

... we're gonna get kicked in the balls again and again?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Still stand by the statement on the talent.

This is going the way of an 08-09 Baron team.

Immense talent going to waste. At least we won’t have a bunch of OOC wins to disappoint us with.

Still could turn it around - but it will take a historic A-10 or tournament run to make the dance.
Your initial post included deepest, complete, and talented team in our history. I still don't agree with you on complete or talented. Remember when you refer to complete team that includes staff and chemistry, our coaches aren't proven yet, and I have seen much better chemistry on previous teams. Also as I stated before talent wise, I am not sure we have any blue chippers or difference makers that I have seen on past teams, at least not yet. I know what you meant, just giving you a hard time.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is the most talent I’ve seen on a Rams team since I’ve been a fan (2002?) I guess it’s coaching.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago This is the most talent I’ve seen on a Rams team since I’ve been a fan (2002?) I guess it’s coaching.
Let me see, you don't have to go too far back, 2016 wasn't bad: E.C, Hassan, Jared, Stan, Kuran, Jarvis, Jeff, and Cyril. There were several before your time.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

That team was awesome for sure, but not as deep. Plus, that was an older squad.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago That team was awesome for sure, but not as deep. Plus, that was an older squad.
You were talking talent
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago That team was awesome for sure, but not as deep. Plus, that was an older squad.
You were talking talent
Starting five was more talented in 17’ but not overall as a team.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
You were talking talent
Starting five was more talented in 17’ but not overall as a team.
I have always agreed that this team is extremely deep but missing the chemistry and the "IT" factor. The coaches definitely have their work cut out for them to get this team better prepared coming out of the gate and play together as a unit. Who knows, maybe if AB sees the floor, he can bring that star power.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago This is the most talent I’ve seen on a Rams team since I’ve been a fan (2002?) I guess it’s coaching.
They don’t have any good shooters other than Sheppard and DJ (for two out of seven games).
There is nothing to support this team’s talent evaluation at this point. Only two of the players have been regulars for a full season.
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
They don’t have any good shooters other than Sheppard and DJ (for two out of seven games).
There is nothing to support this team’s talent evaluation at this point. Only two of the players have been regulars for a full season.
Shooters? Hell, these guys can't hit point blank layups.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How about a different offensive set once in a while. We all know that when the ball was passed to Cyril down low it hardly ever came back out for an open jumper. I think we are seeing the same thing this year and it was worse today as our guys tried to take the ball to the leading shot blocker in the country. Time and time again. Our bigs are not talented enough to be doing that.
Where is the coaching?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago How about a different offensive set once in a while. We all know that when the ball was passed to Cyril down low it hardly ever came back out for an open jumper. I think we are seeing the same thing this year and it was worse today as our guys tried to take the ball to the leading shot blocker in the country. Time and time again. Our bigs are not talented enough to be doing that.
Where is the coaching?
What's an "offensive set"?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I am reviving this thread because I love pain.

However, when I look at the TALENT of this team (how it is being used is another story), I honestly don't think I am so far off - so hear me out.

We have NEVER had this good of a 3 point shooting team, in terms of individuals who can shoot.

Of actual shooters taking 2 or more per game, we have 3 shooters over 40% from deep. We're halfway through the season, this isn't a fluke. If you include Walker's 1.2 attempts per game and Leggett's .5 apg (he doesn't play enough), we have FIVE who fit that category.

We have the capability of being a good shooting team overall, if we were coached to our strengths. We

Think about this:

Hurley's best 3pt team was in 2018. JT/Dowtin/Garrett - 41%/38%/38%
Baron's best teams (06-07 or 07-08 or 08-09) had either Jimmy/Daniels/Mbang - 48%/42%/39% or Parfait/Jimmy/Daniels - 51%/40%36% or Jimmy/Cothran/Jones - 45%/37%/32%
Harrick's best team - Mobley/King/Wheeler - 41%/40%/36%

Right now - Betrand/DJ/Shepp are 47%/46%/40%. That is historic for this program.

In this day and age, 3 point shooting has never been more important.

We currently sit at 179th in the country - 77/230 for 33.48%.

Fatts takes the most 3 pointers. He is 12/58 for 20%. If you take him out of the equation URI is 65/172, 37.79% - 39th in the country.

(If you took Harris' 1/7 out we'd be a 38.78% 3pt shooting team, good enough for 31st behind Florida and Creighton :D )

Why we are not being coached to our strengths and playing street ball is beyond me.

Fatts is a point guard, and a great one. In a Hurley system he would live up to the accolades. He should be a dynamic playmaker, driving and dishing or getting to the FT line. He's quick, he can see the floor, he can make passes most others can't.

It is clear Makhel Mitchell is the real deal. He went at future NBA player Tre Mitchell and outplayed him all night.

Makhi's injury is a killer to this squad without a doubt.

But you cannot tell me this team is not as deep and talented as some of us thought. We are being held back by an offensive system that isn't playing to their strengths.

For the love of God - can we please play a traditional type of offense that relys on 1 point guard to run the show?

1-4 Stack? Box set? 1-3-1?

We have shooters. We have athletes who can make back door cuts. We have a center who can score in the low post.

WE DO NOT HAVE BALL HANDLERS. WE HAVE ONE BALL HANDLER.

Run a basic offense. Fatts is your PG. Ish is your backup PG. This team is too good to have a losing record.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Agree, Blue Man. The one area of talent that's lacking is ball handling. I cringed every time Betrand or Sheppard dribbled last night. But those are also two of Rhody's best players! They NEED those guys... they just don't need them handling. Like, ever. That's the big, glaring deficiency, but there are ways to hide it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago I am reviving this thread because I love pain.

However, when I look at the TALENT of this team (how it is being used is another story), I honestly don't think I am so far off - so hear me out.

We have NEVER had this good of a 3 point shooting team, in terms of individuals who can shoot.

Of actual shooters taking 2 or more per game, we have 3 shooters over 40% from deep. We're halfway through the season, this isn't a fluke. If you include Walker's 1.2 attempts per game and Leggett's .5 apg (he doesn't play enough), we have FIVE who fit that category.

We have the capability of being a good shooting team overall, if we were coached to our strengths. We

Think about this:

Hurley's best 3pt team was in 2018. JT/Dowtin/Garrett - 41%/38%/38%
Baron's best teams (06-07 or 07-08 or 08-09) had either Jimmy/Daniels/Mbang - 48%/42%/39% or Parfait/Jimmy/Daniels - 51%/40%36% or Jimmy/Cothran/Jones - 45%/37%/32%
Harrick's best team - Mobley/King/Wheeler - 41%/40%/36%

Right now - Betrand/DJ/Shepp are 47%/46%/40%. That is historic for this program.

In this day and age, 3 point shooting has never been more important.

We currently sit at 179th in the country - 77/230 for 33.48%.

Fatts takes the most 3 pointers. He is 12/58 for 20%. If you take him out of the equation URI is 65/172, 37.79% - 39th in the country.

(If you took Harris' 1/7 out we'd be a 38.78% 3pt shooting team, good enough for 31st behind Florida and Creighton :D )

Why we are not being coached to our strengths and playing street ball is beyond me.

Fatts is a point guard, and a great one. In a Hurley system he would live up to the accolades. He should be a dynamic playmaker, driving and dishing or getting to the FT line. He's quick, he can see the floor, he can make passes most others can't.

It is clear Makhel Mitchell is the real deal. He went at future NBA player Tre Mitchell and outplayed him all night.

Makhi's injury is a killer to this squad without a doubt.

But you cannot tell me this team is not as deep and talented as some of us thought. We are being held back by an offensive system that isn't playing to their strengths.

For the love of God - can we please play a traditional type of offense that relys on 1 point guard to run the show?

1-4 Stack? Box set? 1-3-1?

We have shooters. We have athletes who can make back door cuts. We have a center who can score in the low post.

WE DO NOT HAVE BALL HANDLERS. WE HAVE ONE BALL HANDLER.

Run a basic offense. Fatts is your PG. Ish is your backup PG. This team is too good to have a losing record.
LOL. You are a gluten for punishment to revive this thread.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Blueman nailed it. What was missing from last year? Three point shooting and an honest low post scoring threat. We have both now plus that athleticism , so what the hell is wrong. Its averaging 19-20 TOs a game. Thats 19-20 scoreless possessions wasted and 19-20 additional opportunities for the other team to score. Thats it. Cut that to 15 a game and the season is a different story. Thats all I want, just 15 turnovers a game!
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Agree, Blue Man. The one area of talent that's lacking is ball handling. I cringed every time Betrand or Sheppard dribbled last night. But those are also two of Rhody's best players! They NEED those guys... they just don't need them handling. Like, ever. That's the big, glaring deficiency, but there are ways to hide it.
I don't really mind Sheppard handling the ball, he has a tight handle but can sometimes get carried away and over dribble into traffic sometimes.

Betrand is pretty slow when he dribbles which makes it easy for the D to strip him.
Go Rhody
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Blueman nailed it. What was missing from last year? Three point shooting and an honest low post scoring threat. We have both now plus that athleticism , so what the hell is wrong. Its averaging 19-20 TOs a game. Thats 19-20 scoreless possessions wasted and 19-20 additional opportunities for the other team to score. Thats it. Cut that to 15 a game and the season is a different story. Thats all I want, just 15 turnovers a game!
The problem was believing the outlier season from range for Fatts was something to count on AFTER losing Dowtin, CL, etc. He became the focal point for defenses He's just not a good scorer at all and he gets 10-15 shots per game. It's really tough to overcome that many missed shots and empty possessions. To some extent, I guess relying on that type of season like last year, again, was the only way it would lead to a tournament type season. But, looking back, it was maybe a one in five or one in ten proposition. Maybe he gets hot in the A10. Smaller sample size can lead to some crazy games. It was the fatal flaw of this team, though. In a poor man's Russell Westbrook type way.
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Our guards are sloppy. That will not change. We will have some games where we turn it over less but we will continue to make mental mistakes the rest of the season. Fatts and Shepard aren’t going to all of a sudden start taking care of the ball. Fatts may be the worst shooter I’ve ever seen who has the green light to shoot as much as he wants.
Good to see Harris’s minutes go down. He brings nothing.
Leggitt getting only 9 minutes is a head scratcher.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago Our guards are sloppy. That will not change. We will have some games where we turn it over less but we will continue to make mental mistakes the rest of the season. Fatts and Shepard aren’t going to all of a sudden start taking care of the ball. Fatts may be the worst shooter I’ve ever seen who has the green light to shoot as much as he wants.
Good to see Harris’s minutes go down. He brings nothing.
Leggitt getting only 9 minutes is a head scratcher.
I think thats my total point. You have to keep the ball in Fatts' hands, so that he is the distributor.

When Fatts is off the ball he becomes one of your shooting options. This is a very bad thing.

Fatts is at his best with the ball in his hand - it allows him to drive to the rim and either kick-out when the D collapses the lane, or take it to the rim and get to the line where he can score at will.

With Fatts as the primary ball handler, you simply the offense and allow Betrand and Shepp (2 plus shooting options) to shoot from deep. It really doesn't matter if you run a set offense or a motion offense like Hurley, but having 2 guards who can shoot - plus a forward that can step out (Walker), and a post-scorer in Mitchell - gives you literally an endless supply of options to run.

Cox runs a lot of his offense out of the 1-3-1 - but it's not always the same guy as the PG, and that's our problem.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Agree, Blue Man. The one area of talent that's lacking is ball handling. I cringed every time Betrand or Sheppard dribbled last night. But those are also two of Rhody's best players! They NEED those guys... they just don't need them handling. Like, ever. That's the big, glaring deficiency, but there are ways to hide it.
I don't really mind Sheppard handling the ball, he has a tight handle but can sometimes get carried away and over dribble into traffic sometimes.

Betrand is pretty slow when he dribbles which makes it easy for the D to strip him.
Yeah I agree. Maybe shouldn't have lumped those two together, but they both struggled last night for sure.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The original post of this thread has certainly not aged well.

This team is mediocre at best. Will continue to hover around .500 and my best guess is they will finish a game or two below .500. Sloppy ball handling, pathetic free throw shooting, no identity, no consistency, little leadership, etc...

This team is not even enjoyable to watch. We should just be thankful that this all came during a season when none of us can be there to see it in person.

My interest in the program is the lowest it has been in many years. Much of this is due to the virus. Hard to get excited with all the sickness and death around us. Reminds you of what is really important. Not going to games means my investment, both emotionally and monetarily, is low. The fact that I have little attachment to much of the roster given the high turnover is another factor which lessens my interest. The play and performance of this team just gives more reason to opt out.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully we can cut our turnovers to less than 15 a game until that happens we won’t be winning too many games
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

There is no reason we can’t turn this around. Going on Kenpom through yesterday, we have played 2 teams over 100 this entire year. Umass 111 and St. Joes. That is a freaking hard schedule. We should be a game or two above .500 in that schedule but for some stupid mistakes and a shitload of turnovers.

10-7 going into Dayton game. Book it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

On the day Dan Hurley was hired, Bob Hurley (dad) said that Rhode Island is a sleeping giant. The giant has gone back to sleep.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Unfortunately for us Danny H is not walking through that door
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Unfortunately for us Danny H is not walking through that door
We'll be lucky if the next coach can get us back to where we want to be, and if so, how long it will take.

Hell we don't know what effect the next URI President will have on athletics, and how much longer will Thorr be here?

Throw in the obvious financial issues, and who knows?

It would be nice if Cox could transform himself and become a better coach, and save us the trouble.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s performances like the 2h today that give us hope