PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Saw Andy Katz comment on the absurdity of this easy bus trip game not being played. It really is just absurd.

This isn’t just about the non-conference schedule because it is still really strong without PC. It’s about people telling us that travel is so dangerous for 7 months and then avoiding a game that requires virtually no travel.
And sure enough the same insecure PC tweeters are jumping in on Katz's tweet, saying why would PC want to play a JV league team etc. etc.
Bush league we ain’t no JV league we will be top 4 A10
That JV team beat PC 2 out of the last 3 years. Fatts was looking forward to making it 3 out of 4 for his career.
“We will be good when we are good.”
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago This tweet says it all...

LOVE this quote & LOVE the Mitchell Twins trolling them in that video! They are definitely scared to play and take another loss for the 3rd straight year. It's not COVID that is for sure. It's in state and one of the safest games they could play all season.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago This tweet says it all...

I'm happy Cox said this.

I say that because I didn't like the joint statement from Driscoll and Thorr. Why would you come out with a joint statement? The message that sends is that we mutually tried to make the game happen, but it didn't work for either side. That is clearly not the case here.

They are our biggest rivals and you agree to a joint statement when it was them that did not want to play this game? Why help PC "look good" with a joint statement attempting to downplay the fact they don't want to play us. Take this chance to stick it to them and make them look weak! Aren't we supposed to be competing for the fans in this state and their $$$$.

I've never liked the buddy-buddy relationship between the administrations. I get it... you are colleagues, mutual respect, bla bla bla.. I still don't have to like it, as a fan. :)
The whole situation with scheduling this game baffles me. My take on Twitter was that Cooley didn't want to lose at Alumni Hall. Providence is a "you know what show," right now. There is no way that this game should not have happened. A lot of revenue lost for both institutions, at least get a cash grab when you can amongst COVID.

We both know our Rhody Roots run deep, hope all is well, Primo!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago A lot of revenue lost for both institutions, at least get a cash grab when you can amongst COVID.
I guess my question would be, what cash grab? Playing in-front of an empty crowd wouldn't lead towards much revenue.

I think a more than reasonable theory is that PC didn't want to lose the cash grab that is the PC/URI game. It's obviously advantage URI to play last year at a full house, and play this year on a borderline neutral court with no fans at PC (PC will have played 2-3 regular season games at Alumni in the past 40+ years), to go back to URI next year and probably play in front of a full house. I don't see the financial ramifications for URI like I would PC, specifically PC who'd be giving up ticket revenue from a "lost" game from a box office sense.

I don't think that would be my primary theory as this evolves (I think I buy that PC wants a few softies in the OOC as the entirety of their schedule is loaded and they have many fixed commitments from the conference), but if that ended up being reason #1, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me. I can see PC not wanting to play a schedule of 24 Q1/Q2 games to 2-3 Q3/Q4 games and wanting to toss a few cupcakes in the mix to help balance it out and develop some of the transfers/younger players. And for the record, if that is the reason I am totally fine with it, I just wish they would own it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago A lot of revenue lost for both institutions, at least get a cash grab when you can amongst COVID.
I guess my question would be, what cash grab? Playing in-front of an empty crowd wouldn't lead towards much revenue.

I think a more than reasonable theory is that PC didn't want to lose the cash grab that is the PC/URI game. It's obviously advantage URI to play last year at a full house, and play this year on a borderline neutral court with no fans at PC (PC will have played 2-3 regular season games at Alumni in the past 40+ years), to go back to URI next year and probably play in front of a full house. I don't see the financial ramifications for URI like I would PC, specifically PC who'd be giving up ticket revenue from a "lost" game from a box office sense.

I don't think that would be my primary theory as this evolves (I think I buy that PC wants a few softies in the OOC as the entirety of their schedule is loaded and they have many fixed commitments from the conference), but if that ended up being reason #1, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me. I can see PC not wanting to play a schedule of 24 Q1/Q2 games to 2-3 Q3/Q4 games and wanting to toss a few cupcakes in the mix to help balance it out and develop some of the transfers/younger players. And for the record, if that is the reason I am totally fine with it, I just wish they would own it.
They should have played URI this year on the date that both teams had agreed to a week ago, then played at the Dunk next season as a PC Home Game. Then at URI in December 2022.

PC vs URI this December, 40 minute drive from URI by Team Bus, no hotel, no fans. Televised Rivalry Game. Very Safe for Covid.

But selfishness reigned supreme.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Should have done “neutral” this year (regardless of physical location, any place with no fans would have sufficed), then play a home and home next year, then go back to the regular rotation after that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It was neutral at PC Alumni Hall with no fans. That’s neutral enough.
Selfishness reigned.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Much to disagree with here........

The College Basketball Fans of Rhode Island lost. This includes PC and URI fans plus College Basketball fans in general. A shame. Didn’t have to happen but it did.

The players for URI and for PC lost. What a shame for Fatts Russell who decided to come back for his Senior year - a tough choice for him.

40 minute drive. No fans. No hotel stays needed. Great game for TV just like the NBA Playoffs have demonstrated. Very safe for C-19. But both teams will now opt for less exciting, more C-19 dangerous games to replace this one

Kentucky - Louisville Head Coaches worked it out. No need for AD’s from both schools getting involved like Thorr and Driscoll did. It wasn’t a mutual decision based on lack of available dates. Cox and Cooley could have worked it out and should have. A shame.

Players for both teams are disappointed. I know for a fact.

Just because PC has been to 6 of the last 7 NCAA Tournaments is horseshit as an excuse or reason. Just because they don’t need the game as bad as URI is horseshit. Cancel all future games between the two if that’s the case because one team will always need the game more than the other in all College Basketball rivalry games - of course Selfish Ed Cooley says it’s not a rivalry.

Rhode Island loses the Pawtucket Red Sox because of selfish politicians. Rhode Island loses its most exciting local sporting event of the year because of selfish AD and HC.

I’d bet 200 to 1 that PC could lose this neutral site game to URI and it would not be the deciding factor as to the Friars making or not making the NCAA

Read the 247 Friar Board Bill, and you will see the majority of PC posters are disappointed this game will not be played. Even KeaneyBlue favorite Sean Mac wants the game played.

Bill, Last year you mentioned attendance at URI basketball games as needing to improve. Point taken. Even Selfish Ed Cooley said David Cox deserved more fan turnout. Horrendous, self serving decisions like this one should be remembered next time URI fan apathy is questioned.

Having watched URI - PC basketball since the 1960’s and seen it all, it doesn’t surprise me at all to see PC cancel this game. It also doesn’t surprise me to see PC HC and AD not be honest and upfront about the reason. Just put this decision on the long list that Rhode Island Red, BillyBoy and I keep as to why we want to see PC lose every game they play.

If ever there was a year that PC and URI should play it’s this 2020 year.

Can’t wait to see who Ed replaces URI with on the schedule (cs)

Think I’ll move to Worcester.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

LOL, Bill.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
They should have played URI this year on the date that both teams had agreed to a week ago, then played at the Dunk next season as a PC Home Game. Then at URI in December 2022.

PC vs URI this December, 40 minute drive from URI by Team Bus, no hotel, no fans. Televised Rivalry Game. Very Safe for Covid.

I think people can feel disappointed to lose the game, but there are people like me who are ok with it as a one-off for this season.

I've said it several times, if PC were to have played URI, they'd be setting up to play 6 Q1/Q2 games OOC (out of a max 7 games), and then play in one of the best conferences in America where they'll at worst play something like 16 Q1/Q2 games and 4 Q3/Q4 games. That needs to be a scheduling consideration when it comes to OOC games.

Playing URI would give them something like 22 Q1/Q2 games and 5 Q3/Q4 games, as a worst-case scenario. Also 22 Q1/Q2 games that they have really no control over as it's either from a tournament with a $250,000 buyout or conference mandated games (challenge or conference) outside of URI. That's while also having a lot of new faces on the roster (3 eligible transfers + 2 freshmen), or returning players with limited experience. Ed Cooley is ultimately responsible for putting his team in the best position to make the tournament.

Is running an OOC gauntlet and then playing 20 conference games in the BEAST the best way to get his team ready for conference play/March? No chance. You want your team battle-tested, but you also want to be able to experiment and get guys experience in games when you are up by 25 points and don't have to worry about having a quick trigger. Many teams are going to struggle with that balance this season, but playing a schedule as you would like PC to play gives them no room to grow and develop, but why would you consider that? It's easier to throw daggers, but the reality is you get plenty of those types of games against the Fordhams and LaSalle's and St. Joe's and George Masons and George Washingtons, etc.

As I said earlier, I just wish they'd be able to own the decision, but I have no problem with it.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I laugh at the people that try to argue that the PC basketball program is on some stratasphere high above that of URI. If that were actually the case, why is that the Friars don't have more NCAA Tournament wins than Rhody since it joined the original Big East back in 1979? If the PC program was truly so far superior, wouldn't its talent and other supposed great advantages yield a lot more tourney wins?
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I know how to solve this problem - invite URI into the Big East. Done.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Section104 wrote: 3 years agoLOL, Bill.
Bill's right. They think it to their advantage to not play it this year. So why should they? They can resume it any time they want to...or not.
If they 'needed' this game (like Rhody does), it probably would have been 'a critical tradition to uphold', but they don't, so it's not. And they have every right to do that. And before 'what about civility, history, tradition, fairness, etc?'... think of the mix involved, cash, the NCAA, and college administrations (sometimes similar to pols?) ... and there you have it.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago I laugh at the people that try to argue that the PC basketball program is on some stratasphere high above that of URI. If that were actually the case, why is that the Friars don't have more NCAA Tournament wins than Rhody since it joined the original Big East back in 1979? If the PC program was truly so far superior, wouldn't its talent and other supposed great advantages yield a lot more tourney wins?
Don't think anyone is saying that, I believe they are saying game is more important to URI then it is to PC because PC will have opportunities for more quality wins.

BTW I think game should be played but understand that PC certainly does not want to lose the gate for a sure sellout. Anyone who thinks URI would give up the sellout is kidding themselves.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Anyone trying to sell this as anything but PeeCee being afraid to take a loss to a lowly A10 Rams team is either a shill or an idiot and that's all I have to say about that.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

We had to play at the dunk every year for like 30 years they can deal with being stuck playing at an empty alumni hall one year.....weak stuff pc
Clapton is God
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago I laugh at the people that try to argue that the PC basketball program is on some stratasphere high above that of URI. If that were actually the case, why is that the Friars don't have more NCAA Tournament wins than Rhody since it joined the original Big East back in 1979? If the PC program was truly so far superior, wouldn't its talent and other supposed great advantages yield a lot more tourney wins?
Don't think anyone is saying that, I believe they are saying game is more important to URI then it is to PC because PC will have opportunities for more quality wins.

BTW I think game should be played but understand that PC certainly does not want to lose the gate for a sure sellout. Anyone who thinks URI would give up the sellout is kidding themselves.
PC was not losing the gate.
The game would have been played at PC, then again in 2021-22, then return to URI
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think people can feel disappointed to lose the game, but there are people like me who are ok with it as a one-off for this season.

I've said it several times, if PC were to have played URI, they'd be setting up to play 6 Q1/Q2 games OOC (out of a max 7 games), and then play in one of the best conferences in America where they'll at worst play something like 16 Q1/Q2 games and 4 Q3/Q4 games. That needs to be a scheduling consideration when it comes to OOC games.

Playing URI would give them something like 22 Q1/Q2 games and 5 Q3/Q4 games, as a worst-case scenario. Also 22 Q1/Q2 games that they have really no control over as it's either from a tournament with a $250,000 buyout or conference mandated games (challenge or conference) outside of URI. That's while also having a lot of new faces on the roster (3 eligible transfers + 2 freshmen), or returning players with limited experience. Ed Cooley is ultimately responsible for putting his team in the best position to make the tournament.

Is running an OOC gauntlet and then playing 20 conference games in the BEAST the best way to get his team ready for conference play/March? No chance. You want your team battle-tested, but you also want to be able to experiment and get guys experience in games when you are up by 25 points and don't have to worry about having a quick trigger. Many teams are going to struggle with that balance this season, but playing a schedule as you would like PC to play gives them no room to grow and develop, but why would you consider that? It's easier to throw daggers, but the reality is you get plenty of those types of games against the Fordhams and LaSalle's and St. Joe's and George Masons and George Washingtons, etc.

As I said earlier, I just wish they'd be able to own the decision, but I have no problem with it.
If all you say RJ is true as to why Cooley and Driscoll dropped the game, then they should just say it. They said we couldn’t find a workable date. Just be honest and straightforward.

What your saying is they lied. They didn’t want to play URI this season - it wasn’t about not being able to find a workable date.

I’d prefer the truth, then move on accordingly.

Or just simply say nothing, just that the game is cancelled. Don’t lie about not being able to find an agreeable date to play.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Always loved the John Chaney scheduling strategy

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago

And sure enough the same insecure PC tweeters are jumping in on Katz's tweet, saying why would PC want to play a JV league team etc. etc.
Bush league we ain’t no JV league we will be top 4 A10
That JV team beat PC 2 out of the last 3 years. Fatts was looking forward to making it 3 out of 4 for his career.
Very true 83. URI Has won 2 of the last 3. I’d bet Cooley is happy now he will not have to face Fatts again and a team with 4 waivers approved for guys who will add talent, height, strength and experience to this years team.

2017 @ URI Rhody wins by 7. 75-68. Fatts game high 20 points.
2018 @ PC PC wins by 9. 59-50. Fatts with 6 points.
2019 @ URI Rhody wins by 14. 75-61. Fatts game high 24 points.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

If all you say RJ is true as to why Cooley and Driscoll dropped the game, then they should just say it. They said we couldn’t find a workable date. Just be honest and straightforward.

What your saying is they lied. They didn’t want to play URI this season - it wasn’t about not being able to find a workable date.

I’d prefer the truth, then move on accordingly.

Or just simply say nothing, just that the game is cancelled. Don’t lie about not being able to find an agreeable date to play.
Maybe "we can't find a workable date" is true...as is Coach Cox's statement. My guess is that URI gave PC several dates, all of which they declined.

I knew that if the Dunk was not an option, Pee C would want to back out. My guess is that Pee C would not shift the games to allow for a game at Keaney this year or at a neutral site. They sure didn't want us at Alumni Hall.

My B*tch is that we should retain the home game in 2022, if it was Pee C who backed out this year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Anyone trying to sell this as anything but PeeCee being afraid to take a loss to a lowly A10 Rams team is either a shill or an idiot and that's all I have to say about that.
Rhody's challenge is to get games as good or better than PC. PC already has plenty of those. Business decision. That's all is. They don't need the game. I can't say it's about them being afraid because it's not about winning or losing the game, just my opinion. Even if there was no risk to them at all of losing...I think they'd have dumped the game anyway. If they knew they could kick Ram butt....they probly woulda still done the same thing.

I would not be surprised if, at some point, they get to where they only play because the gov mandates it, or a state law passes, or something like that.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Maybe Gina, in exercising her over the top Executive Powers in on going emergency declarations Could mandate a game.......😏😏
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just like she mandated the PawSox to remain in RI

Do we still have to root for Pee Cee now that we are not playing them?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Just like she mandated the PawSox to remain in RI

I'm rooting for the same record I root for every year for them.....0 and however many games they play.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

I'm rooting for the same record I root for every year for them.....0 and however many games they play.
That’s the plus side of no PC on our schedule - won’t have to deal with the pressure from some to have to root for the Friars to “make our record look better”.

I think we will get a nice replacement for the Friars on our schedule while they can get the cupcake they are wanting.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton taking advantage

I’m hoping that Pee Cee dropping URI ends up being a blessing with who we end up replacing them with. Lots of teams dropping Out of MTEs for geographical reasons opening up opportunities that Dayton just took advantage of - as an example.

Many teams signing up for Mohegan Sun. Could URI play more Mohegan Sun games? Would be a good thing.

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Dayton taking advantage

I’m hoping that Pee Cee dropping URI ends up being a blessing with who we end up replacing them with. Lots of teams dropping Out of MTEs for geographical reasons opening up opportunities that Dayton just took advantage of - as an example.

Many teams signing up for Mohegan Sun. Could URI play more Mohegan Sun games? Would be a good thing.

Yes I was thinking why not propose additional games after the tournaments. The tournaments will all be played in the 11/25 to 12/4 window, then there are 2 other windows proposed 12/7 to 12/10 and 12/15 to 12/20. You know which teams could easily travel over to participate in one of the other windows after experiencing the first string of tournaments? URI and UConn. *Ducks*
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

That’s the plus side of no PC on our schedule - won’t have to deal with the pressure from some to have to root for the Friars to “make our record look better”.

I think we will get a nice replacement for the Friars on our schedule while they can get the cupcake they are wanting.
PC did not play well against cupcakes last season so I would be glad to see this backfire on them.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Did we get a financial incentive for agreeing to push the friar game to next year as their home game? Otherwise why do it?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Did we get a financial incentive for agreeing to push the friar game to next year as their home game? Otherwise why do it?
Because we need the game a lot more than they do?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Anyone trying to sell this as anything but PeeCee being afraid to take a loss to a lowly A10 Rams team is either a shill or an idiot and that's all I have to say about that.
Rhody's challenge is to get games as good or better than PC. PC already has plenty of those. Business decision. That's all is. They don't need the game. I can't say it's about them being afraid because it's not about winning or losing the game, just my opinion. Even if there was no risk to them at all of losing...I think they'd have dumped the game anyway. If they knew they could kick Ram butt....they probly woulda still done the same thing.

I would not be surprised if, at some point, they get to where they only play because the gov mandates it, or a state law passes, or something like that.
You need to play fantasy football, you're still starting Barkley and Cook, both injured, c'mon man, I thought you really wanted in this league? Oh wait it's that you want to perform like the New York City Gints :D
Go Rhody!!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC has recently been purposely moving in a direction which drops all RI opponents from its schedule. They in fact have played more games versus teams from the neighboring state of MA in their recent OOC schedules. They actually played three MA teams (HC/BC/UMass) in 2018-19 while just playing a single RI team. As I have been saying for several years, PC is not really a RI school. Only about 10% of its enrollment comes from RI and it now has few connections to the state. It is more accurately just a RI based school these days.

PC Friars Games versus the three RI D-1 schools - Three Seasons - Four total games
2019-2020 URI
2018-2019 URI
2017-2018 URI, Brown

With the IVY League not playing games in 2020, unless PC suddenly adds Bryant to its schedule this season, the Friars will have played just four games in four years versus the other RI schools (12 possible match-ups).
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Can we win the moral Rhody high ground by playing both Brown and Bryant every year?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Can we win the moral Rhody high ground by playing both Brown and Bryant every year?
Not until we add Bryant. I know they aren't very good, but we have cupcakes on the schedule every year. I am not ready to give them home and home but denying them a game doesn't make a ton of sense most years. Unless they are asking for guarantee money - then pound sand!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Can we win the moral Rhody high ground by playing both Brown and Bryant every year?
Not until we add Bryant. I know they aren't very good, but we have cupcakes on the schedule every year. I am not ready to give them home and home but denying them a game doesn't make a ton of sense most years. Unless they are asking for guarantee money - then pound sand!
URI has been unwilling to give Bryant an equal home and home like it does with its longtime in state rivals PC and Brown. Bryant in most recent years was not interested in playing at Rhody for the guarantee amount that was being offered. It chose higher paying guarantee games elsewhere.

URI Series with RI schools
Brown - 162 meetings dating back to 1910
PC - 131 meetings dating back to 1920
Bryant - 4 meetings dating back to 1984
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bryant isn’t a cupcake, they’re a mini muffin. It’s a lose lose.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say no to the Bryant Bulldogs
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

So it's ok for us to "duck" Bryant but not ok for PC to do the same to us?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago So it's ok for us to "duck" Bryant but not ok for PC to do the same to us?
First off - we are not ducking Bryant. From what I understand URI has on several recent occasions offered them guarantee games. They for the most part other than two years ago with Grasso at the helm declined as they went elsewhere for more money. I also don't put Bryant into the same category as that of Brown and PC. URI has little history with the Bulldogs (just four meetings - seem my earlier post) unlike the other two.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago

You need to play fantasy football, you're still starting Barkley and Cook, both injured, c'mon man, I thought you really wanted in this league? Oh wait it's that you want to perform like the New York City Gints :D
I'm The Brady Bunch....
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago So it's ok for us to "duck" Bryant but not ok for PC to do the same to us?
URI and PC is a rivalry that has been going on long before any of us were born. I don't quite get your comparison.
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

The PC website has some saying why play us with how much better they are than Rhody. I hope if Fatts sees a PC player he mentions that he beat them 2 out of 3 so their seniors have a losing record against us.
Cooley says they are so great. What is his record versus a Cox led team?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
First off - we are not ducking Bryant. From what I understand URI has on several recent occasions offered them guarantee games. They for the most part other than two years ago with Grasso at the helm declined as they went elsewhere for more money. I also don't put Bryant into the same category as that of Brown and PC. URI has little history with the Bulldogs (just four meetings - seem my earlier post) unlike the other two.
Yeah - In the past, I've been a proponent of playing Bryant as one of our local, early season tune-up games. Like, I'd rather play Bryant, and hell, even have it be a home and home, then hosting UMass-Lowell or Eastern Middle South Central Arkansas State. (Even a "home" game with Bryant, I assume that's more of a "soft" home game for URI, since I doubt Bryant is selling out many games.) But I'm totally against paying them for it. Maybe they'll be better in 4 years though, when Grasso's round of offered eighth graders are college freshmen.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rather play Bryant than RIC though. That game is dreadful.
GO RAMS
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Rather play Bryant than RIC though. That game is dreadful.
The RIC game is just exhibition while the Bryant game would not be. Different scenarios
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
Yeah - In the past, I've been a proponent of playing Bryant as one of our local, early season tune-up games. Like, I'd rather play Bryant, and hell, even have it be a home and home, then hosting UMass-Lowell or Eastern Middle South Central Arkansas State. (Even a "home" game with Bryant, I assume that's more of a "soft" home game for URI, since I doubt Bryant is selling out many games.) But I'm totally against paying them for it. Maybe they'll be better in 4 years though, when Grasso's round of offered eighth graders are college freshmen.
Agree with this. Love the 8th grade recruiting dig. URI needs home games in non-Covid years. They have to fill their home schedule to support the season ticket package.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago You need to play fantasy football, you're still starting Barkley and Cook, both injured, c'mon man, I thought you really wanted in this league? Oh wait it's that you want to perform like the New York City Gints :D
I'm The Brady Bunch....
Sorry bro, my bad, I guess someone else in our league has the name NYGFan in yahoo and whoever that is is tanking big time
Go Rhody!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago

I'm The Brady Bunch....
of course you are.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

URI and PC is a rivalry that has been going on long before any of us were born. I don't quite get your comparison.
There's no comparison. I just think we need to understand the situation this year is unique and stop the complaining about the PC game cancellation. Maybe they ducked us; maybe they didn't, doesn't really matter.