Week #17 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Joe95
ARD

Re: Week #17 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Joe95 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago So VCU should not be considered a quality win anymore?
Unfortunately not, they are under .500 in conference. Hard to argue that's a quality win.
Welp we better finish the season with one Q1 win or selection Sunday is not going to be fun for Rhody Nation.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Way to go Duquesne!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Are the Dukes close to a quad 1 for us yet?
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

VCU was missing 3 players tonight, I believe.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Are the Dukes close to a quad 1 for us yet?
They have no chance to be, they’d have to get in Top 30.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Rutgers continues losing they may fall off the bubble completely. I believe they’ve only won one true road game all year, no team has ever made the tourney with less than 3 road wins.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago VCU was missing 3 players tonight, I believe.
Ouch
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With VCU losing, both LSU and Maryland trailing badly in 2H, and a URI road win over a #277 NET Fordham, it will be interesting to see how the Rhody NET shakes out tomorrow.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Holy piss Maryland just shot a gopher in the face!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago With VCU losing, both LSU and Maryland trailing badly in 2H, and a URI road win over a #277 NET Fordham, it will be interesting to see how the Rhody NET shakes out tomorrow.
Maryland won, unreal.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago With VCU losing, both LSU and Maryland trailing badly in 2H, and a URI road win over a #277 NET Fordham, it will be interesting to see how the Rhody NET shakes out tomorrow.
Maryland won, unreal.
down 47-31 at the half.

Minnesota chose not to foul intentionally and let Morsell take the game winning 3 with 4 seconds to go.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Maryland won, unreal.
down 47-31 at the half.

Minnesota chose not to foul intentionally and let Morsell take the game winning 3 with 4 seconds to go.
Most of the bubble teams got huge wins tonight.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond game was interesting as it was an important win for the spiders

Armel Potter had the triple double for GW scoring 17 points, 12 assists but the dreaded part of his triple double was 11 turnovers :oops: :oops: :oops: Potter also shot a dreadful 3-9 FTs

Richmond continues to use Center Grant Golden as the central point of the offense as Golden picked up 8 assists or close to half the teams total of 17 assists. Golden also had 7 rebounds, 12 Points and 2 blocks.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Freshman Tre Mitchell was not intimidated going up against one of the A10’s best big men in Marcus Santos-Silva as he led UMASS to its 3rd straight A10 win.
Mitchell played 36 minutes committing only 1 foul
He had 3 blocks, 2 steals, 15 rebounds, 19 points on an efficient 9-14 FGs.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think I am changing my tune a little on our chances to dance

I still think if we finish 15-3 we will dance even if a loss in quarters

But if we go 14-4 then I think we will have to go to the A10 finals to get in
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Maryland won, unreal.
down 47-31 at the half.

Didn’t see the game, but why would a team foul intentionally when they are only up 2? Unless they weren’t in the bonus?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Thursday night action in the A-10.

In games involving URI OOC opponents :

Wagner at Long Island U., 7 PM.

North Texas at Florida International, 7 PM.

Louisiana Tech at Western Kentucky, 8 PM.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody lost a road game in OT at Davidson and edged Fordham for a road win and, in that time frame, the URI NET went from 31 to 42.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In today's bracket games:

Fourth to last bye Rutgers is at #16 Penn State at 7 on BTN "Can Rutgers win away from home? That is the question to which the Scarlet Knights are still trying to provide a positive answer. You have heard this before. The last time a team got an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament with fewer than three wins away from home was in 1994. Rutgers has one, with this game and a road trip to Purdue before the conference tournament. I do not believe that the Scarlet Knights will break that precedent."

We're the second to last bye at Fordham at 7 on ESPN+ "URI has been hurt by the poor play of the teams that are the best teams they have beaten, VCU and Alabama. Each of them have spent some time either on the bracket or bubble – more VCU than Bama – but neither are contenders any more. On the other hand, the Rams also beat Providence and they are making a late surge. Obviously, the game with Fordham is must-not-lose"

First out Stanford vs Utah at 10 on PCN "The Cardinal had a good weekend, sweeping Washington and Washington State to get off the schneid. Now they have a home game against a team they need to beat. Their margin for error is still pretty small, but games that can actually help are still to come."

Fourth out Richmond at George Washington on 7 on ESPN+ "Richmond is barely in the bracket and has benefitted from a late season surge by Wisconsin, which is the Spiders' best win. They are coming off a loss to Saint Bonaventure, which has done well in Atlantic 10 play, but is still not considered a very good loss. Richmond has no good losses left on their schedule."

Seventh out Arkansas vs Tennessee at 8:30 on SECN "Arkansas got Isaiah Joe back and got a win over Missouri last time out to stop a five-game skid, all of which Joe missed. The Razorbacks need that win over the Tigers to be the start of a five-game winning streak. Only the home game with LSU can help them at all."

Eighth out Georgetown at Marquette at 8:30 on FS1

If it seems like there's a difference between how a team is ranked vs what's in the quote, it's because I use the more accurate Bracketville for where a team is ranked, but I've been using Jerry Palm for writeups on the games to give a little more context
Rutgers lost 65-64 "Away from The RAC, it’s been tough season for Rutgers. After rallying from a 21-point deficit Wednesday night, the Scarlet Knights saw another elusive road win disappear in the waning seconds at Penn State, leaving them 1-8 in road games and 1-10 in games played away from home. After hosting Maryland next Tuesday, Rutgers travels to Purdue to close the regular season; one last chance for the Scarlet Knights to win a road game before heading to the Big Tourney (neutral court) in Indianapolis. How might the Committee handle a Rutgers’ team with potentially 10 Big Ten wins – if they beat Maryland at home – but who might also finish 1-12 away from home if the Scarlet Knights lose at Purdue followed by an opening-round B10 tourney game? It’s a question we don’t have to answer right now, but it looms large over the next two weeks. Historically, that type of futility away from home has given past Committee’s a reason to leave a team out."

We beat Fordham 76-75 "Rhode Island narrowly avoided a disastrous loss at Fordham."

Stanford won 70-62

Richmond won 73-70

Arkansas won 86-69 "Arkansas routed Tennessee. The Razorbacks are a different (and better) team with Isaiah Joe back. The question becomes, can the Hogs win a couple of NCAA-level games on the way in to improve their tournament resume? As of this morning, only a win at Indiana is NCAA-worthy, and they are 5-10 against Quads 1/2 combined."

Georgetown lost 93-72 "Marquette dominated Georgetown, sending the Hoyas further away from the bubble; the Hoyas need to get healthy and win some games."

Bubble teams are 80-71
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Rutgers loses their final two games, which they have a pretty decent chance to (home Maryland, @ Purdue), I see them falling under us on the bubble.

As if we already didn't have enough reason to cheer against PC, the added layer of them being right below us on the bubble makes their game Saturday @ Villanova HUGE for us.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

Maryland won, unreal.
down 47-31 at the half.

Didn’t see the game, but why would a team foul intentionally when they are only up 2? Unless they weren’t in the bonus?
Well I saw Hurley and Cooley do it recently. Why set yourself up to lose by one when you can send them to the line and still get the ball back for a game winning shot?

More and more coaches are opting to NOT allow a 3point shot to beat you vs putting the opponent on the line and tie at worst - and that is IF the guy hits both shots.

I know most on the board disagree but watch what some Head Coaches are doing these days. It’s not just me saying it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

down 47-31 at the half.

Well I saw Hurley and Cooley do it recently. Why set yourself up to lose by one when you can send them to the line and still get the ball back for a game winning shot?

More and more coaches are opting to NOT allow a 3point shot to beat you vs putting the opponent on the line and tie at worst - and that is IF the guy hits both shots.

I know most on the board disagree but watch what some Head Coaches are doing these days. It’s not just me saying it.
The strategy is when you're up by 3, you foul so they can't tie it. I've never heard of anyone fouling up by only 2.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

The strategy is when you're up by 3, you foul so they can't tie it. I've never heard of anyone fouling up by only 2.
Well, I'll be on the look out for examples.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

More context on Rutgers:

NET# 34 | Overall D1 Record: 17-11 | Away Record: 1-8 | Home Record: 16-1 | Neutral Site Record: 0-2

The lone away win for Rutgers (1-10 record away from home) was in OT versus 6-20 Northwestern. The Scarlet Knights lost their only OOC games (2) not in Piscataway on the road at 15-14 Pitt and on a neutral court to a 17-10 St Bonaventure that was without is best player Osunniyi. Rutgers played an extremely weak OOC schedule that included a non D1 team (Caldwell) and the likes of Bryant, Niagara, Drexel, SF Austin, NJIT, UMass, and Lafayette.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Gonna be a late night tonight if we want to track the bubble, two Pac-12 games will have an impact on the bubble, Arizona vs USC and UCLA vs ASU.
Go Rhody
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

down 47-31 at the half.

Please count me as one of those that strongly disagrees with this strategy. I’d be screaming for Cox’s head off he ever pulled that stunt.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In today's bubble action:

Third to last in Wichita State vs Temple at 8 on ESPN "The Shockers have a couple of tough road games coming up but they need to take care of business at home. They have already lost twice on their home court this season, which is usually a pretty rare occurrence. The games that can really help them will not appear until the conference tournament."

Last in USC vs Arizona at 10 on ESPN "Unlike its crosstown rival, USC is playing its way down the bracket. The Trojans have lost five out of seven, with four of those losses coming on the road. It is nothing but home cooking the rest of the way, however none of those game figure to be easy."

Second out UCLA vs Arizona State at 11 on PACN "UCLA is on fire. The Bruins have won nine of 11 to get within shouting distance of the bracket. One of those two losses was at ASU. UCLA did not play a great nonconference schedule and took a couple of bad losses at home. Their margin for error is still very small."
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Arizona and Arizona St wins tonight would be huuuuuge.

Not expecting Temple to have much of a shot at WSU.
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

UCLA always seems to come on late every year. Like Syracuse usually does.
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They were 750-1 to win it all at Caesars before they beat Colorado and then went to 400-1 they are playing tough lately
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hoosiers lose they lose !!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Here we go Owls here we go !!! All tied up at Wichita
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s get some help from Santa Clara hosting St Mary’s tonight
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Damn it Temple. Wichita St closing the game on a 11-3 run.

Just missed a tying 3. Temple with foul shots 5.8 secs to go. Foul on rebound not shot
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wichita St going to line for 1&1 4.2 secs
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Up 3. One more ft
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Made both.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup Temple blows a 7 point lead with 5 minutes left and not the result we wanted
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wichita State won by 4 on a 14-4 run in the last 4 mins. Wich St switched to a zone and Temple had no answers. Temple was looking good before that as they were down 7 earlier in the half and had a big run to get to a 7 point lead.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

This Western Kentucky game has been unbelievable. Down by 13 with two minutes left and just tied it up with 2 seconds left. WOW heading to OT
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wow! WKy was down by 6 with under 30 secs to play and sends it to OT. 3 pointer with 2.5 secs left. They never lead in this game and were down by 14 earlier.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago This Western Kentucky game has been unbelievable. Down by 13 with two minutes left and just tied it up with 2 seconds left. WOW heading to OT
Wow. I switched to it with 30 secs left and La Tech up 6!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago This Western Kentucky game has been unbelievable. Down by 13 with two minutes left and just tied it up with 2 seconds left. WOW heading to OT
Wow. I switched to it with 30 secs left and La Tech up 6!
This Hollingsworth Kid is absolutely unconscious rn
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

OOC teams finish the night 3-0 thanks to WKU 13 point comeback with 2 min left. Our two OOC opponents WKU and North Texas battle it out for first place in Conference USA on Sunday @1
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

WKU 17 point comeback win!

Hollingsworth with 41!

Long Island also a winner.

Biggest win was from North Texas. Their win will keep them a Q2 win for us.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Hollingsworth put in 19 put in the game at Ryan, but it was that dude, Carson Williams, with his 4-4 three pointers that forced us into OT.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Mary’s leads Santa Clara 35-31 half
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Every PAC12 game I watch is ugly
Clapton is God
reef