Week #13 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Depaul is the Duquesne of the Big East. I expect their freefall to continue tonight. (Depaul that is.) (But also Duquesne.)
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Virginia is not a lock at all. They just helped themselves a shit load after beating FSU, but they still have work to do.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Have to assume everyone understands 1st is better than 2nd. However realism has to set in and projecting what is most likely to happen. We are battling VCU and Richmond for that 2nd spot, so rooting for those teams to lose as many games as possible is what I (and others) think is best. If we wind up knocking off Dayton twice and coming in first well that's obviously ideal and gravy, but the likelihood of that is much less than the likelihood of being the clear cut 2nd best team and securing the almost guaranteed 2nd bid the league will get.
The way we 'battle Richmond and VCU' is to win more games than them. We've already done that.
We win the games we have in front of us, we still won't get first place by ourselves until Dayton loses multiple games.
So, let's get a little help. If we can't beat Davidson twice, we probably don't deserve 1st place, but if someone else does...we might get it anyway.

Playing for second place is such "settling"...kinda gross actually...
Can't imagine that kind of thinking extends beyond us message board "geniuses."

Do you think the players are rooting for Dayton to win or lose?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No one is playing for 2nd place. But we are also playing for a spot in the Big Dance. As an A10 team that means it's a numbers game. Given Dayton is 99.9% in right now the reality is we are playing to be that 2nd bid. As such we are not competing against Dayton but moreso VCU and Richmond. Not sure how else to spell this out but dem the facts. Finishing in 1st makes that all a moot point, obviously, but rooting for Richmond will never make sense.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Have to assume everyone understands 1st is better than 2nd. However realism has to set in and projecting what is most likely to happen. We are battling VCU and Richmond for that 2nd spot, so rooting for those teams to lose as many games as possible is what I (and others) think is best. If we wind up knocking off Dayton twice and coming in first well that's obviously ideal and gravy, but the likelihood of that is much less than the likelihood of being the clear cut 2nd best team and securing the almost guaranteed 2nd bid the league will get.
The way we 'battle Richmond and VCU' is to win more games than them. We've already done that.
We win the games we have in front of us, we still won't get first place by ourselves until Dayton loses multiple games.
So, let's get a little help. If we can't beat Davidson twice, we probably don't deserve 1st place, but if someone else does...we might get it anyway.

The issue here is that simply winning the A10 regular season title isn't a guarantee of getting into the tournament.

Say Dayton, URI, VCU, Richmond all lose a ton of games the rest of the way. We sweep Dayton, but lose a whole bunch more. Dayton goes on a Baronesque skid. They drop out of the rankings.

URI is in 1st place in the A10 with a 20-10 record. Net in the 60s. Dayton in 2nd. Dayton has a net in the high 30s. We're down to 2 Q1 wins. A bunch of Q3/Q4 losses.

Regular season champion in a weak league with no elite teams doesn't dance.

We should want Dayton to lose 3 games tops. 2 to us, and 1 to VCU. That's it. Theoretically that takes care of 1st place. It also gives us the ability to absorb a bad loss because we'll have 2 or 3 more Q1 wins. We NEED Dayton to be an elite team. It helps everyone, most importantly us.

If Dayton loses to a bad team here or there and drops out of the top 30 in NET, we lose a Q1 opportunity. We don't have many. If we lose a Q1 opportunity, so doesn't VCU and everyone else. That means that the win or potential wins against VCU mean less, and there's another chance at a Q1 win gone.

No one is rooting for anything other than an NCAA birth period. No one cares about a conference title if it doesn't culminate in a tournament appearance.

I'm sure the players are rooting for Dayton to be undefeated until they play them because they want to be the team to knock them off. As am I.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

The issue here is that simply winning the A10 regular season title isn't a guarantee of getting into the tournament.

Say Dayton, URI, VCU, Richmond all lose a ton of games the rest of the way. We sweep Dayton, but lose a whole bunch more. Dayton goes on a Baronesque skid. They drop out of the rankings.

URI is in 1st place in the A10 with a 20-10 record. Net in the 60s. Dayton in 2nd. Dayton has a net in the high 30s. We're down to 2 Q1 wins. A bunch of Q3/Q4 losses.

Regular season champion in a weak league with no elite teams doesn't dance.

We should want Dayton to lose 3 games tops. 2 to us, and 1 to VCU. That's it. Theoretically that takes care of 1st place. It also gives us the ability to absorb a bad loss because we'll have 2 or 3 more Q1 wins. We NEED Dayton to be an elite team. It helps everyone, most importantly us.

If Dayton loses to a bad team here or there and drops out of the top 30 in NET, we lose a Q1 opportunity. We don't have many. If we lose a Q1 opportunity, so doesn't VCU and everyone else. That means that the win or potential wins against VCU mean less, and there's another chance at a Q1 win gone.

No one is rooting for anything other than an NCAA birth period. No one cares about a conference title if it doesn't culminate in a tournament appearance.

I'm sure the players are rooting for Dayton to be undefeated until they play them because they want to be the team to knock them off. As am I.
Sooo...we should think about/root about Dayton the same way we should PC? ;)
ETA: Upon further review, I disagree with the statement that winning the A10 isn't a guarantee of getting into the tournament. We'd have to beat Dayton and with all the freek-hype for Dayton, any team that wins that conference would be in, (almost) guaranteed. Same bet as free beer in seats will give better wi-fi. :lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

2015-2016 the Bonnies were co champions of the A10 regular season. They went to the NIT.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I'm with Blue Man.

I'm not worried at all about where we finish in the A-10, whether or not we win the regular season championship.

All I'm worried about is making the NCAA tournament.

Why even worry about where we place in the conference when all we want is an NCAA tournament?

I know how some think if we finish second or first we will make the dance, but it's like why think like that opposed to your overall record and how your numbers stack up against everyone else?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The A10 has an uneven schedule. So the regular season championship doesn't mean much.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I'm with Blue Man.

I'm not worried at all about where we finish in the A-10, whether or not we win the regular season championship.

Why even worry about where we place in the conference when all we want is an NCAA tournament?

I know how some think if we finish second or first we will make the dance, but it's like why think like that opposed to your overall record and how your numbers stack up against everyone else?
So would you recommend the players and coaches think that way as well?

I think 1st place in the A10 after having played a 18 game schedule in the #8 Ranked Conference out of 32 Conferences says a lot.

1st place also gets premium seeding in the A10 Tournament Bracket. If Dayton comes in 2nd place then URI and Dayton would not meet until the Championship Game.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

I think 1st place in the A10 after having played a 18 game schedule in the #8 Ranked Conference out of 32 Conferences says a lot.

1st place also gets premium seeding in the A10 Tournament Bracket. If Dayton comes in 2nd place then URI and Dayton would not meet until the Championship Game.
Anyone that wins the conference that Dayton is in this year...is in...I'm tellin' ya :lol: Why not us?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If URI finishes in 2nd place, they would not meet Dayton until the Championship Game. Just wanted to clear that up.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UConn with 7 scholarship players tonight. Wilson injured his knee in the last game. Gilbert out for personal reasons yet he is on campus and not at the game. Could his career at UConn be over?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

If URI finishes in 2nd place, they would not meet Dayton until the Championship Game. Just wanted to clear that up.
Yes.

But in URI getting the 1-Seed then the 4-Seed would be in URI’s side of the Bracket
If URI is the 2-Seed then the 3-Seed would be in URIs side of the Bracket

In no way would I want URI to ever be the 2nd Seed and the team/coaches not give everything they possibly could give to get the 1-Seed.

I’m with 208, I don’t understand not going for broke.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I know we want Alabama to beat LSU. DO WE WANT Duquesne or Dayton?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago I know we want Alabama to beat LSU. DO WE WANT Duquesne or Dayton?
Dayton
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago I know we want Alabama to beat LSU. DO WE WANT Duquesne or Dayton?
Dayton
Dayton! Dayton! Dayton!

Duquesne is going to fall on their face, I’m with TP on that. They didn’t help themselves playing charmin opponents during the OOC
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dayton
Go Dukes.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

LSU looks like a final four team.
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You definitely want to guard Mikesell facing the ball as he cuts to the basket. If you are behind the ball he's scoring.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

LSU is working Alabama.

They are realllly freaking good.

Alabama has been good lately too and LSU is controlling them easily.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Holy shit!!!! Obi Toppin put back dunk
theblueram
Frank Keaney

OMG that Obie Toppin slam was incredible.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago OMG that Obie Toppin slam was incredible.
That was one of the best put back dunks I’ve ever witnessed, he grabbed that thing like half in the paint
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

The point of my argument is that by everyone cannibalizing each other we would no longer be the #8 overall conference. We need an elite team to beat and be a marquee win.

Plus, having a chance to beat a top 5 Dayton team on senior day in the Ryan center is so much cooler than having a chance to beat a barely top 25 Dayton team.

If URI comes in 2Nd place then URI and Dayton would not meet until the championship game either.

Also 2nd place gets the 6pm game.

Root for Dayton unless they play Rhody or VCU. That’s what is best for us.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago OMG that Obie Toppin slam was incredible.
That was one of the best put back dunks I’ve ever witnessed, he grabbed that thing like half in the paint
We need Jacob to opine on that dunk :D
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

woo hoo...Dukes cut a 19 point deficit to 6!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Duquesne ain't too shabby after all yall!

High level game!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

3 point game...wow, go dookz.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Go Dayton
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Brick
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Come on Dayton

I don’t want team behind us w this quality of a win
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago Come on Dayton

I don’t want team behind us w this quality of a win
I want ALL the teams behind us and don't care what kinda wins they have
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

TOPPIN CLUTCH
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Let’s go refs - let’s get a Dayton V already
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Nice ! Dayton wins !!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Great game. Love this sport.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Can’t believe they made it a game
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

GO GW !
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Watching SLU and Duquesne take it to the wire with Dayton, ya have to like our chances to do the same.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Duquesne got to within 2 points with 15 seconds to go
Excellent game
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years agoGO GW !

And go Bonnies!

Keep that Q2 status!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yep, awesome game. Barely hung on against a team we beat by 22...
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

GW is going to be tricky, great game vs the wildcats
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

GW and Davidson tied in double ot
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago GW and Davidson tied in double ot
maybe a triple?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Tied at 88. 12.3 secs left. Davidson ball.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago GW and Davidson tied in double ot
maybe a triple?
Yup
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Let's go for 4ots!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

omg
GO RAMS