Top 25 Polls 2019-20

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: Top 25 Polls 2019-20

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Selection Sunday: And, in the East Bracket, #6 seed Rhode Island will take on #11 seed Marquette.

That's how I tend to like my ranking, all things considered.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

"yeah, and you know, Bobby, Marquette only got in this year by winning the Big East Tournament. On the other hand, that Rhode Island team has been dominant since mid January, they earned that 6 seed the hard way, man"
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Being ranked is a good recruiting tool too. Kids notice these things. If we can tell our recruits,"Look, we're ranked #22 in the country right now", that's a positive. And we're heavily involved with 2 important recruits as we speak.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Our recruiting has been more than fine lately. So good, in fact, that we "passed" on Bones Hyland last year and he didn't sign until June.

Doh!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Any time there is a number next to “Rhode Island” on the ESPN ticker, it’s a great thing for every aspect of our program / school.
Go Rhody
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Didn’t say I want to lose or not win the conference title! I just don’t think it’s important to be ranked at this point and I think it gives every team we play not named Dayton the desire to have a signature win against a top 25 team. Grudgingly I have to agree with Billy boy that it probably helps in recruiting.
I also don’t want this team Reading it’s news clippings. The way they’ve gotten here so far is by hard work especially on defense. That being said this team has a major flaw, it cannot shoot the outside shot consistently. need proof how about nine minutes with three baskets against VCU when we couldn’t hit the side of a barn. To their credit they sucked it up and righted the ship in time and still won impressively. someone else commented the VCU game is a Belichick moment cox gets too pat them on the back with impressive win and still kick him in the ass about the loss of focus. WE NEED TO STAY FOCUSED and TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS EVERY GAME!!
I hope we run the table right into the conference tournament. Knock Dayton off their perch and take the regular season title as well. I just think that being ranked at this moment doesn’t mean much and could do more harm than help. It’s probably just the pessimism of a 40 year Rhody basketball fan floating to the surface!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LOL...
Wish A: Win, Dayton, win
Wish B: Don't be ranked.

What a plan.... :roll:
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While being ranked and/or getting votes is all nice, ultimately, the only thing that is important is their record on selection Sunday. They are in a great position right now. Just need to capitalize.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Walk SOFTLY and carry a BIG STICK!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Take the lead - revel in the massive publicity - and leave no doubt we're a force to be reckoned with.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rothstein said a few weeks ago that Rhody has the talent to make the 2nd weekend but wasn’t sure we had the resume to get there. Now we are in or close. Keep winning and make it so!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago LOL...

Plan A is based on college basketball logic. Your lack of understanding here is extremely distressing.

Plan B is dumb. Anyone saying they don’t want to be ranked might be a worse take than your “I hope everyone at the top of the A10 loses so we win the conference by 6 games and WOOHOO we’re the best team in a crap conference” take. Which is impressive.

Rankings ALWAYS matter. Week to week national visibility on every possible platform. National highlight packages. Brand awareness.

Why are there so fan college basketball fans on a college basketball message board who don’t understand college basketball as a whole?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Why would anybody be afraid that we couldnt handle being ranked?

The guys on the team expect those accolades.

Jeff, Cyril and Fatts have been ranked before. They're the leaders.

The other guys have seen the team ranked and decided to come partially because we are a program that is capable of being ranked.

The pressure after losing to Brown and Richmond in one week is greater than dealing with all the attention from being ranked.

Cut that small time BS out.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We want to be ranked every year, all year. we don't need to catch anyone by surprise, we just need to win baby win!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Why would anybody be afraid that we couldnt handle being ranked?

The other guys have seen the team ranked and decided to come partially because we are a program that is capable of being ranked.

The pressure after losing to Brown and Richmond in one week is greater than dealing with all the attention from being ranked.

It’s not being afraid, it’s just teams not handling good pub well. Some do, some don’t. I just want the team to continue to use whatever edge they’ve been playing with.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago "I'd rather not be ranked" Seriously? Like...really?
Maybe we should also lose to Dayton this time...you know...so they'll be 'worth more' next time!
Let's just phone in the L to the NET PI Quad Squad now, maybe that'll help pump up Dayton tires.

Good grief, that game could well be to win "the Dayton Conference", and it's being looked at like a throwaway game... :roll:

Seize the conference.
Could Our AD and HC send a note to the AP and Coaches Poll Voters and request they not vote for URI? I’m guessing they would accommodate that request.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Why would anybody be afraid that we couldnt handle being ranked?

It’s not being afraid, it’s just teams not handling good pub well. Some do, some don’t. I just want the team to continue to use whatever edge they’ve been playing with.
Yeah I addressed that.

If we were new to that kind of success then I could see where you're coming from, but I dont think it would hurt us at all.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jeff Cyril and Fatts have been on teams who were ranked, won championships, and NCAA tournament games.

Those guys know to handle success.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Jeff Cyril and Fatts have been on teams who were ranked, won championships, and NCAA tournament games.

Those guys know to handle success.
On top of that TJ laughed when asked in the alumni room if they pay attention to votes or rankings. They do. It’s 2020. Near impossible to run from it.

The 2 seniors on this team have more NCAA and A10 experience than any other senior class in URI history.

Same goes for the junior.

They’ve been ranked more than any of those previous classes. They’ve played in more big games and beaten more ranked teams too.

This teams leadership knows how to win. They’ve been through struggles this year and last together.

If you don’t think this team can handle “the pressure” you have been under a rock the last 4 years.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We won’t be ranked tomorrow, but if we go 2-0 this week I say we sneak in and set up a ranked showdown with us and Dayton.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago LOL...

Plan A is based on college basketball logic. Your lack of understanding here is extremely distressing.

Plan B is dumb. Anyone saying they don’t want to be ranked might be a worse take than your “I hope everyone at the top of the A10 loses so we win the conference by 6 games and WOOHOO we’re the best team in a crap conference” take. Which is impressive.

Rankings ALWAYS matter. Week to week national visibility on every possible platform. National highlight packages. Brand awareness.

Why are there so fan college basketball fans on a college basketball message board who don’t understand college basketball as a whole?
Dude. Lighten. Up. Please. Winning this conference, this year, by a couple games, makes us a beast. It does not make this a crappy conference.
ElbertC2020
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ElbertC2020 »

Apparently there's a football game tonight....cant wait for that to be over so we can see how many votes we get. I'm projecting 28th and a solid 24th if we sweep this week.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree not ranked tomorrow but if we go 2-0 this week then maybe we crack it
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obviously we know how the rankings go. If teams in front of us win, they get ranked before us. We don't have any games this week that move the needle so even if we win the two we will still not be ranked unless others lose.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CBS Sports Top 25 Plus 1 released today, Sunday

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 1-shakeup/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely you want your team to be ranked.
Players most definitely want their team to be ranked Top 25

Top 25 Ranking can also help with promoting the teams reputation. The better the reputation the better the chances of getting a better seed in the NCAA Tournament.

URI is ranked #14 by RPI but only #40 in NET. If URI could get ranked in the Top 25 then that would seem to question the validity of the current NET #40. The Top 25 Ranking would give URI more of a boost with the NCAA Selection Committee in seeding teams in the brackets.

ED6FA615-A7EB-45A4-8F8A-8DF2F03F8421.png
344FA473-23C1-44CC-984A-E403868B1292.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Butler is 2-4 in their last six games including losses to PC and DePaul and is still solidly in Top 20. Easily the most over ranked team in the country.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Butler is generously ranked #12 by NET and top among BE Teams. Butler ranked 5th best BE Team by RPI

E0FD1CED-B4F4-4AAF-BFDA-0FBEBCB31E62.png
207198EF-FB20-4331-A634-B67C16C371A6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Butler is 2-4 in their last six games including losses to PC and DePaul and is still solidly in Top 20. Easily the most over ranked team in the country.
#12 Butler is 6-4 in Q1 games and 5-1 in Q2 games, 11-5 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 57 with no bad losses.
Who has a better resume to pass this "over-ranked" team?
#13 Villanova is 5-4 in Q1 games and 4-0 in Q2 games, 9-4 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 10 with no bad losses.
#14 Creighton is 6-5 in Q1 games and 3-0 in Q2 games, 9-5 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 32 with no bad losses.
#15 Florida St is 4-3 in Q1 games and 5-0 in Q2 games, 9-3 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 42 with no bad losses.
#16 Seton Hall is 6-4 in Q1 games and 5-1 in Q2 games, 11-5 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 34 with no bad losses.
#17 Colorado is is 4-2 in Q1 games and 4-2 in Q2 games, 8-4 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 31 with 1 bad loss.
#18 Oregon is 3-3 in Q1 games and 5-2 in Q2 games, 8-5 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 6 with no bad losses.
#19 Auburn is 2-2 in Q1 games and 7-0 in Q2 games, 9-2 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 46 with no bad losses.
#20 Ohio St is 3-5 in Q1 games and 3-0 in Q2 games, 6-5 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 49 with no bad losses.
#21 Iowa is 7-4 in Q1 games and 3-1 in Q2 games, 10-5 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 76 with 1 bad loss.
#22 LSU is 3-2 in Q1 games and 6-2 in Q2 games, 9-4 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 15 with no bad losses.
#23 Stanford is 2-3 in Q1 games and 2-0 in Q2 games, 4-3 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 107 with 2 bad losses.
#24 Penn St is 5-3 in Q1 games and 4-1 in Q2 games, 9-4 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 123 with 1 bad loss.
#25 Marquette is 4-5 in Q1 games and 5-1 in Q2 games, 9-6 in Q1/Q2 games against an SOS of 20 with no bad losses.

If you were objectively ranking all these teams based just off resume and not general opinion of team, I'm hard-pressed to find more than 1-2 teams I would put ahead of Butler.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

LSU has a higher winning pct in Q1/Q2 games against a tougher SOS and is 10 spots below Butler.

And just do the eye test on Butler vs say an LSU who has 2-3 NBA players and a massive front line of dudes. Butler is a nice team, Baldwin is a good player, but after him are you really going to tell me they have a Top 15 roster. You guys just handled them at their place pretty easily, they are overrated.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago LSU has a higher winning pct in Q1/Q2 games against a tougher SOS and is 10 spots below Butler.

And just do the eye test on Butler vs say an LSU who has 2-3 NBA players and a massive front line of dudes. Butler is a nice team, Baldwin is a good player, but after him are you really going to tell me they have a Top 15 roster. You guys just handled them at their place pretty easily, they are overrated.
BAR, it’s not always Apples to apples. We got handled by Brown...I’d still say everyday of the week that we are the better team. Sometimes, it’s not about rosters, it’s about styles and matchups.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Of course, I just think teams like Butler, Creighton and Marquette are all 1 and done come tourney time. We shall see
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I always knew I liked Andy! Our ranking aside, where he puts some of the BE teams (Butler, Creighton, Marquette) is much closer to where they belong.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago LSU has a higher winning pct in Q1/Q2 games against a tougher SOS and is 10 spots below Butler.

The problem is that I don't think "ceiling" talent matters. It's great that LSU has NBA guys, there are a lot of teams that have potential NBA guys. But ultimately what matters is that you win the games against talented opposition.

I too don't think Butler is great, but the resume is the resume. If I think a team sucks, but they keep winning, than my opinion is wrong or doesn't matter. The game is not played on paper or on NBA draft boards. I don't think we should be "eye" testing tournament teams, but judging them based on their body of work.

That said, if you think LSU's resume is better, that is your perogative. Does that make Butler #15? #16? I don't see 9 resumes there that push Butler out of the Top 20 as your initial gripe about them being overranked was their status in the Top 20.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I would rank them similarly to how Andy Katz did. In the 20s. Stop Baldwin and they are easily beatable.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Top 25 rankings are based off opinion and recent results. Tournament seeding is based on entire body of work, thus why I posted all resumes and said to rank the teams. Simply saying you would rank a team in the 20s because of some personal analysis (even if said analysis is correct), even when their resumes compared to their peers is strong, is indicating a personal bias. That bias may be right long-term, but that doesn't make it correct today.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Top 25 rankings are based off opinion and recent results. A team could go 25-0, lose a game, and drop multiple spots depending on who they lost to and where they played. Tournament seeding is based on entire body of work, thus why I posted all resumes and said to rank the teams. Simply saying you would rank a team in the 20s because of some personal analysis (even if said analysis is correct), even when their resumes compared to their peers is strong, is simply pointing out a personal bias.
Nope, it's called using data AND observation to form an opinion. Versus data in a vacuum. I guess Katz has the same bias I have since he put them in about the same place I would. They aren't the 15th best team in the country, regardless of what their NET ranking says. Also why they don't just use the NET ranking to seed the tourney and weigh other factors which include committee members actually watching teams play and forming a comprehensive opinion. I remember the year the A10 got 6 teams and you were basically saying the league gamed the system to an extent. I guess we all have our personal biases RJ.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ranked 30th think week.
Go Rhody
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody coming at #30 this week in AP (18 points)...

https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

That feels right
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I get that the Texas Tech has played really well against some of the best teams in the Big12, but they've lost 3 out of their last 4, and 5 of their last 8, yet they almost cracked the top 25.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We are weighed down by Brown loss.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Top 30 team in the entire country is effing awesome.
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm very happy with this news. If you told me after the Brown debacle we would be #30 in February I'd tell you to put down the crack pipe.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I feel like this ranking is accurate and it will spur the team on to actually reaching the goal of joining the Top 25. Also with the senior leadership on this team (I include Fatts in that) I have no fear that a top 25 ranking will “go to their heads” or allow for a lapse intensity.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rams were featured in 7 ballots, up from 2 last week.
https://collegepolltracker.com/basketba ... -rams/2019
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

When you consider there are 353 Division 1 basketball teams, to even be getting votes is impressive. I would say it's more impressive than being in the top 25 in FBS football as there are only 130 teams (I know we are not in FBS, just picking the top division of Football).
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Top 25 rankings are based off opinion and recent results. A team could go 25-0, lose a game, and drop multiple spots depending on who they lost to and where they played. Tournament seeding is based on entire body of work, thus why I posted all resumes and said to rank the teams. Simply saying you would rank a team in the 20s because of some personal analysis (even if said analysis is correct), even when their resumes compared to their peers is strong, is simply pointing out a personal bias.
Nope, it's called using data AND observation to form an opinion. Versus data in a vacuum. I guess Katz has the same bias I have since he put them in about the same place I would. They aren't the 15th best team in the country, regardless of what their NET ranking says. Also why they don't just use the NET ranking to seed the tourney and weigh other factors which include committee members actually watching teams play and forming a comprehensive opinion. I remember the year the A10 got 6 teams and you were basically saying the league gamed the system to an extent. I guess we all have our personal biases RJ.
This started with a conversation about the NET, which I assumed meant we were talking about tournament metrics and not poll rankings. I hand you the resumes and ask you to compare, and you start talking about NBA players. Andy Katz is talking about Top 25, which is a different metric than a tournament metric so I'm not sure why the inclusion. Top 25 is opinion and highly volatile -- Heck it's how a team can go 28-0, lose 1 game, and drop from #1 to #4.

But the committee does not eye test teams based off of film, but the resume. They don't go "Oh that team doesn't have an NBA frontline" or "If you take out Michael Jordan you beat the Bulls." They say "They won this many Q1 games, this many Q2 games, had no bad losses, this was their SOS, how does that compare to Teams, X, Y, and Z." That is your eye test.

I think there is a difference between saying "I don't think that team is a Top 20 team because of X, Y, and Z" and "I can't possibly imagine how any tournament metric could have that team high." I agree with you on point one, for many of the reasons you listed. But wins are wins, you can't take them away. I understand their current seed projections as a 3-5, even if I think they end up closer to 5-7 than 1-3. I think we actually agree on Butler from an opinion standpoint, but I think Butler's current resume stands up with every team on that list and then some.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Rams were featured in 7 ballots, up from 2 last week.
https://collegepolltracker.com/basketba ... -rams/2019
Dave Preston moved us from 23 last week, to 22 this week in his poll. Adam Grosbard somehow dropped us from 23 to 24 in his.

The 5 newcomers put us at 22, 23, 24, and 1 at 25.

Tbh I feel like 30 is right where we are. We've taken care of business the last 8 weeks, beat everyone we should have (plus one we maybe shouldn't have at the Siegal Center).

Even if we do beat UMass tomorrow and then go to GW and win, I don't think that puts us in next week either. The teams ahead or slightly behind us will all have opportunities for big wins against good teams. 2-0 this week probably gets us to 27-28, we'll need a Dayton win to jump into the polls.

BEAT UMASS. Or none of this matters.

Also KMac - boo man. At least you didn't blindly put a 5th BE team in your rankings.

I'd also like to start a "dope of the week" where we look at some pollsters and wonder why they have a vote. This week I nominate Jesse Newell from the KC Star.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketba ... 19/week-14

Guy has Ohio State somehow at 12, Sparty at 7, Arizona at 10, BYU at 21...I mean cmon man. Just pay attention one time.

Give to Rhody's NIL