2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by rambone 78 »

AAC has FBS football. No chance we join that. Also travel costs are thru the roof.

Only chance to go anywhere is to a newly made conference, taking the best from the A10 and other similar conferences.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

BlackDogRants wrote: 5 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago

The question really is to where? Unless a new conference is formed that includes good programs there’s no where to go but down which we don’t want.

What we need is the A10 to continue improvement.

They had 6 bids a few years back and 5 bids as well. If the A10 can strengthen themselves to a point where they can consistently earn 4 to 5 bids a year that would be ideal.
I would like to see us continue for the distant future in an improved A10 but with the shaft we seem to get with the postseason awards at every opportunity in addition to motherf*&%ing Fordham still being in the league, stretches my faith. The conference seemingly wishes to attract teams and fans to the south and west at every opportunity. But there are no better conferences knocking on our door right now, that's for sure! There are New England schools blocking us from the Big East, AAC, hell even the ACC where BC is busy pissing away their built-in advantage. Think the Big Ten is interested?
Pretty sure Big East will stay all private/faith based - so thats out of the question. AAC is improving IMO. I see their growth as much more rapid than the A10. Have a look at Temple if you want to see what the move from A10 to AAC would look like, there are a bunch of similarities.

As much as I dislike the A10 for us - there is no where else to go. AAC is the only possibility or fit and I just don't see that ever happening. You also don't want to be the dumpster fire of a better conference - say like DePaul or Rutgers

I know you were likely joking about the Big Ten - lol.
Yes I didn't bother with the emoji but figure most here would understand. Plus I would love trolls reviewing the board out of context saying "their fans are so delusional, they think they're getting into the Big Ten!"

AAC may be a slight upgrade basketball-wise, but they are full of football-first/basketball-second schools presently. The substantial cost of travel in that conference, especially assuming UConn would have to leave for us to be invited, would eliminate any marginal advantage to getting bids for our basketball program.

I have a love/hate relationship with the A10 but it is really the only game in town for us, in the absence of some "breakaway" conference with current dissatisfied members of different conferences, as occurred with the AAC formation earlier this decade.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Pending unexpected transfers, or personnel movement, the A10 figures to be as strong and deep at the top next year as it has been in some time. Should mirror the 2015-16 season where we had 3 NCAA teams and 3 NIT teams, with 6 teams posting 20+ wins. VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, URI, Bonnies and Davidson should be the Top 6 and all should carry postseason hopes.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Thorr is committed to the practice facility. It will be funded 100% by donations. 80% of the $5 million is already accounted for.

Rhody is already spending in some of the areas mentioned above. They had more charters this year.
I believe MBB will have their own Strength & Conditioning area this year with new equipment. This could be in place for the beginning of June.

I think Thompson is staying. There is a potential of Tertsea transferring. I don’t see anyone else transferring.
I think Rhody would go after a 5th year SG.

If Coach Carroll doesn’t come back due to health, I think TJ gets the Ast position. He was doing the Scout for key games down the stretch. I also think TJ was key to the turnaround with the players - he was much more engaged. The players relate to TJ more than anyone on the staff.
This is something I wanted to talk more about this offseason. I was even thinking of having a topic posted just about physical program/facility improvements or needs.

With regard to the practice facility (PF) I originally thought - nah we are getting along fine without one, why spend the coin we don't have - use it elsewhere. However after digging and researching what some of the other schools have I am SO on-board. These state of the art practice facilities are HUGE recruitment tools. It cant be fun to have a practice in the same single court you play on in a dark empty arena.

Anyway keeping the money in mind - I had sort of a lightbulb moment some months back but no one to really talk it through with. Why in gods name wouldn't they use Keaney Gym as a new PF and completely gut overhaul the interior? All the bones are there. It HAS to be significantly cheaper to do a complete interior rather than build from the ground up. It has direct walkable access to the Ryan Center. It keeps historic value. Its big enough that you can make a decent basketball facility and still leave a single court that will be exclusively for volleyball (they certainly don't need the whole building right now).

If they are already planning this Ill feel like a horses ass, but like I said I am out of state and don't really have anyone to talk this through with. Looking forward to comments!
Keaney is used for volleyball.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

While realignment might not be an option, it’s been the same convo every year, but the A10 should enforce minimum requirement rules - facilities and otherwise. Force the lower level schools to invest or find another conference. Removing dead weight provides the same benefit as realignment without the excess travel or establishing new rivalries. There has to be something that can be done. The A10 puts so much pressure on its top programs given the amount of “land mines” on the schedule.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I have always been a proponent for addition by subtraction. But it seems exiting a program from a conference is a tall task. Fordham and Lasalle would be the 2 to go for many reasons. Conference would lose 2 of their worst facilities in the process.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I have always been a proponent for addition by subtraction. But it seems exiting a program from a conference is a tall task. Fordham and Lasalle would be the 2 to go for many reasons. Conference would lose 2 of their worst facilities in the process.
The facilities are the issue...Ashley Howard is the type of coach that can get hot and attract the right type of talent, but he'll be gone after he gets an offer elsewhere. Fordham could do well with someone like Mike Rice (I know some aren't a fan, but he'll get another shot sooner or later), but similar would likely happen if he sees any level of success.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Fordham should give Mike Lonergan a call.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

STC wrote: 5 years ago Fordham should give Mike Lonergan a call.
Fordham should have called Pitino the day he was fired.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh yeah I am sure Pitino would jump at the Fordham job
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Hey just as long as no one is asking Pitino to come here I’m fine with it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Screw it. Why not just call Dave Bliss?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Screw it. Why not just call Dave Bliss?
Can't embarrass the program anymore than it is, so why not?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Would Fordham sell their soul and risk trouble with the NCAA by hiring certain guys?

I doubt it.

Just like we wouldn't hire Pitino.

Been there, done that. Dooley isn't Carothers.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Would Fordham sell their soul and risk trouble with the NCAA by hiring certain guys?

I doubt it.

Just like we wouldn't hire Pitino.

Been there, done that. Dooley isn't Carothers.
So what do they get? Post season bans lol. Or loss of schollies lol. It would not matter one bit. Fordham needs to marry HC in the Patriot League.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately, like others have said, the A10 brass isn't going to shitcan programs....the only alternative would be forming a new league and leaving the flotsam behind.

Yes the A10 will be better, certainly at the top anyway next year, but the bottom will always suck.

That's also the big reason why the A10 will never get a TV contract anywhere near what the BE gets.

Who wants to watch games in a dump with 1000 people in attendance?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good god I want the rams back to the tourney, badly.
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Unfortunately, like others have said, the A10 brass isn't going to shitcan programs....the only alternative would be forming a new league and leaving the flotsam behind.

Yes the A10 will be better, certainly at the top anyway next year, but the bottom will always suck.

That's also the big reason why the A10 will never get a TV contract anywhere near what the BE gets.

Who wants to watch games in a dump with 1000 people in attendance?
Who could do it? It would take floating a league with the top of the A10 and jettison the bottom to a media partner who would buy in with a contract. It's not rocket surgery.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

From what I hear end of season meetings went well. Very far from the player departure speculation from weeks ago. Possibly just 1 minor contributor.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Who could do it? It would take floating a league with the top of the A10 and jettison the bottom to a media partner who would buy in with a contract. It's not rocket surgery.
The problem is what teams are coming and what teams are being brought in?
If you are a URI or VCU, are you excited about Vermont, Stony Brook, Siena, etc.
Are they that much different?
Also dealing with TV contracts, demographics/market are considered so important.
If you are building a dream conference, it probably has only 10 teams (double round-robin).
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
The problem is what teams are coming and what teams are being brought in?
If you are a URI or VCU, are you excited about Vermont, Stony Brook, Siena, etc.
Are they that much different?
Also dealing with TV contracts, demographics/market are considered so important.
If you are building a dream conference, it probably has only 10 teams (double round-robin).
I agree...a 10 team league is perfect. The A10 hasn't had the double round robin since 1995ish when they expanded to 12 teams. While I don't see them dropping any teams, let alone 4, if someone does drop, maybe don't replace (depending on who drops). Of course, if VCU or Dayton decides to move, then they need to be replaced because I have no confidence the bottom of the league will get stronger.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago From what I hear end of season meetings went well. Very far from the player departure speculation from weeks ago. Possibly just 1 minor contributor.
But I read that three guys were transferring (one significant!) and that the former coach had left a desolate wasteland of talent and ruined Fatts (a D2 level talent) with praise! Did the dreck contingent of KB lead me astray?!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago From what I hear end of season meetings went well. Very far from the player departure speculation from weeks ago. Possibly just 1 minor contributor.
But I read that three guys were transferring (one significant!) and that the former coach had left a desolate wasteland of talent and ruined Fatts (a D2 level talent) with praise! Did the dreck contingent of KB lead me astray?!
:) I'd say so
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dreck contingent? I hope that was supposed to be funny.

From the book Animal Farm...…"Everyone here is equal...but some are more equal than others".
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

All members have equal opportunity to contribute to KeaneyBlue discussion, but the post rate and information shared vary greatly from member to member.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I believe the one who said 3 transfers, including a significant one, was a PC troll.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Silverio gone. If you count Walker, maybe there will three transfers coming in.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Silverio gone. If you count Walker, maybe there will three transfers coming in.
Where is Omar going?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Silverio gone. If you count Walker, maybe there will three transfers coming in.
The “report” was that three players would be transferring out. It was made by the guy who once went off on the coaches having iPads, so yeah.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

With Silverio gone, the inexperience of Hammond at the 2, the log jam at the 3 (Martin, Long, Thompson, and Mading), and with Harris, Walker, and Tate at the 4, we may see Martin take some reps at the 2. (He did bring the ball up quite a bit against VCU.)
steviep123
Sly Williams

So coming in our Walker, Mading, Hammond, and Long...am I missing anyone? Both short and long term we'll need another guard. Short term for next season as someone needs to spell Fatts and Dowtin some, and long term because Dowtin is a senior and Fatts is a junior next year. There isn't another point guard behind them so we absolutely need one.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Sorry to see Omar go. I thought he could develop into a reliable shooter off the bench.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago So coming in our Walker, Mading, Hammond, and Long...am I missing anyone? Both short and long term we'll need another guard. Short term for next season as someone needs to spell Fatts and Dowtin some, and long term because Dowtin is a senior and Fatts is a junior next year. There isn't another point guard behind them so we absolutely need one.
Hammond is a guard. Priority for ‘20 recruiting class is a PG.
I hope they use the open scholarship on a Grad SG. They could also look at the JUCO level.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago So coming in our Walker, Mading, Hammond, and Long...am I missing anyone? Both short and long term we'll need another guard. Short term for next season as someone needs to spell Fatts and Dowtin some, and long term because Dowtin is a senior and Fatts is a junior next year. There isn't another point guard behind them so we absolutely need one.
I hope they use the open scholarship on a Grad SG. They could also look at the JUCO level.
Here's a list of the top 100 Jucos.
https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2019-juc ... 0-rankings
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Here's a list of the top 100 Jucos.
https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2019-juc ... 0-rankings
I love these JUCO lists, always some names of guys I’ve lost track of.
Parente07
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Parente07 »

This is off topic, but I just wanted to give a shoutout to URI football head coach Jim Fleming who made the drive to Brooklyn for the A10 tourney (and took place in pregame / postgame festivities). Very class act move, and good to see the mutual support of the two programs. The football program seems to be on the right track currently. I recommend all to spend a few Saturdays this Fall to see some home games. (Look out for night games too with that new installment progressing).
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Parente07 wrote: 5 years ago This is off topic, but I just wanted to give a shoutout to URI football head coach Jim Fleming who made the drive to Brooklyn for the A10 tourney (and took place in pregame / postgame festivities). Very class act move, and good to see the mutual support of the two programs. The football program seems to be on the right track currently. I recommend all to spend a few Saturdays this Fall to see some home games. (Look out for night games too with that new installment progressing).
Agreed. Great guy I’ve seen him around town here and there and always pleasant and friendly. I even mentioned to him that I laughed when I saw the pic of him on Twitter at the Dunk in the very last row at the PC game. Good natured guy and I already added the FB home games to my calendar.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

BTW, has anyone seen an email come through for the End of Season Banquet? I remember last year’s at Quidnesset was sometime in April. Forgot to ask anyone at the show last night.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Like there's someplace to be led on the anonymous worldwide interweb...? :lol:
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Parente07 wrote: 5 years ago This is off topic, but I just wanted to give a shoutout to URI football head coach Jim Fleming who made the drive to Brooklyn for the A10 tourney (and took place in pregame / postgame festivities). Very class act move, and good to see the mutual support of the two programs. The football program seems to be on the right track currently. I recommend all to spend a few Saturdays this Fall to see some home games. (Look out for night games too with that new installment progressing).
Cox did the same for him during the season.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I talked with Coach Flemming twice in Brooklyn - at LaSalle game and at pregame event for VCU. Seems like a nice guy. Enjoyed our conversations.
“We will be good when we are good.”
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Will the new turf and lights be installed before this season?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago I think your administration needs to be thinking about making a move out of the A-10.
To where exactly?

UConn likely blocks an attempt to get in the AAC. Even then it's a minor step up if at all.

The Big East makes complete sense, but lord knows as long as there's a Gavitt somewhere still breathing it'll never happen
I'm not sure what the answer is but my point is more that you shouldn't be content in this conference. I think the A-10 is dying, similar to what happened with Conference USA 10-12 years ago. Your upside is going to be capped because of what you're competing against. I don't mean that as a put down at all, just stating my opinion. I think the administration should be striving for better if they are committed to consistently competing at a high level. Gonzaga is the exception, not the rule.

PCFriars,
You are right that the A10 has declined in Basketball recently. We lost some excellent Coaches over the past few years which is usual for the A10. Turnover of Head Coaches at Dayton, VCU, URI to very good offers in last couple of years. All 3 Schools will undoubtedly recover with Dayton and VCU better than expected this season.
Duquesne hired a solid HC in Keith Dambrot. New Head Coaches at Saint Louis and VCU have their teams in the NCAA this year.
You should be worried about your own Big East Conference as well as worrying about ours. I can't remember a year since it's existence that the Big East only had 1 team in the Top 25 and that is Villanova at only #23
The AAC outperformed the Big East with their 4 Teams average NCAA Seed = 7.5, Big East = 8.0. AAC Average NET was 28.7 much better than Big East Average NET of 46.0 for their 4 NCAA Selections

AAC NCAA Teams and Seeds
  • 3-Seed Houston Ranked #11, NET 4
  • 7-Seed Cincinnati Ranked #22, NET 25
  • 9-Seed UCF, NET 30
  • 11-Seed Temple, NET 56
Seeds Total = 3,7,9,11=30 Average Seed = 7.5
NET Total = 4,25,30,56 = 115 = 28.7 average NET
Memphis has a better NET= 46 was better than Seton Hall and Saint John's and did not get in. But watch out for Penny Hardaway's Memphis Team next season having recruited the top player in the Nation in 7 footer James Wiseman.
Dan Hurley recruited well for next season and should be knocking on the door for an NCAA Bid soon

BE NCAA Teams and Seeds
  • 5-Seed Marquette, NET 28
  • 6-Seed Villanova Ranked #23, NET 26
  • 10-Seed Seton Hall, NET 57
  • 11-Seed Saint Johns, NET 73
Seeds Total = 5,6,10,11=32 Average Seed = 8.0
NET Total = 28,26,57,73 = 184 = 46.0 average NET
Before this season started I mentioned in a thread to watch out for the AAC, they could catch up with the Big East. The closing of the gap has actually happened faster than I thought.

If I were you I'd be more worried about the Big East and when is Val Ackerman ever going to expand to 11 or 12 teams? What is she possibly waiting for? Big mistake in my opinion not to go above 10 teams
Also, Chris Mullins and Patrick Ewing hires still have the jury out. I'd think a conference like the BE could get higher caliber Coaching candidates than those two - but time will tell, I could be wrong

Then if I was the Big East and was watching how the AAC was gaining on me I'd be very concerned about this latest news, no?
Thanks again for worrying about us and coming to our board in person to share your concerns

I'd do the same on the PC Board but then banned me years ago :cry: :cry: :cry:

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, it's high time the A10 hierarchy got off their duff and start to consider creating a new conference that will be more attractive to the networks.

Yes we don't have FBS football and will never approach what the AAC will be getting nor the BE at 4 million/yr. just for hoops.

But what we get for a TV contract is absolute peanuts in this day and age.

Even if the A10 [or a new conference] could get say, 1-1.5 million a year per program, what a difference that would be.

Dump the stiffs and add a few other good programs that would like to upgrade.

Don't see why it can't be done. It needs to be done.

The AAC BB schools are about to leave us in the dust. That new TV contract will help improve the entire conference, including their bottom feeders.

In fact, I think this deal will end up pushing the AAC past the BE basketball wise in time, like ramster has pointed out.

We have to get back to being the 8th best conference out there, behind the BE but ahead of everybody else.
Parente07
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Parente07 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Will the new turf and lights be installed before this season?
That’s the plan.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Parente07 wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Will the new turf and lights be installed before this season?
That’s the plan.
Looking forward to a night game at Meade.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Fordham should give the NEC a call.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Patriot League.

Good academics....plus they are in that league for football.

Makes a ton of sense....don't know why they haven't done it yet.

They will NEVER compete for an A10 title with that barn they play in.

If JN does bring in some talent, that talent will bolt before they could do anything.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nice gesture by Omar