Scrap the Offense

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Scrap the Offense

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 5 years ago You guys can believe KenPom, I’ll believe my eyes.
Where is there a conflict with what you believe and kenpom? There is no opinion in kenpom...no subjective measures. If it says our tempo is faster or slower, well, it is. Or whatever is different from your eyes. There can be reasons why but it's it's like saying someone has an on base of .300 in baseball. You can't say "my eyes tell me he is a good hitter!". People mistake how kenpom should be used.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Gonebarongone wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 5 years ago You guys can believe KenPom, I’ll believe my eyes.
Where is there a conflict with what you believe and kenpom? There is no opinion in kenpom...no subjective measures. If it says our tempo is faster or slower, well, it is. Or whatever is different from your eyes. There can be reasons why but it's it's like saying someone has an on base of .300 in baseball. You can't say "my eyes tell me he is a good hitter!". People mistake how kenpom should be used.
My eyes tell me this is one of the worst offenses I've ever seen. I am skeptical of numbers that say it's merely mediocre.

I consider Pomeroy the Bill James of college hoops, and his numbers are akin to sabermetrics. I don't want to get into a debate about advanced statistics, but his ratings are more like WAR than OBP.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m not the world’s biggest KenPom guy in terms of using it as a proxy for rankings just because efficiency to me is overrated when all that really matters is did you win or did you lose, but I can appreciate his stuff for what it is worth. But I might be the world’s WAR guy. Not sure what you have against WAR.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011