David Cox Coach's Show

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: First David Cox Coach's Show - Wed May 2nd

Unread post by reef »

I was hoping it was going to be Preston last year because of his athleticism and it seemed like he could hit an open 15 footer based on his JC tapes

That didn't pan out to well as I guess he fell out of favor with DH by not grasping defensive principles

Be interesting to see who grabs a rotation spot amongst the backup bigs
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea agreed with previous posts, there is no way you can fully judge this kid’s capability from the minutes he’s played. With more playing time he would have been nice to use vs a team like Duke. Small and athletic was useless where size mattered.
GO RAMS
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Based on history the new guys early playing time is going to be based on defensive capabilities. Looking at the video’s that get posted there isn’t much tough defense played in H.S. and even
Less in AAU ball. I’m hoping for some zone mixed in with the man defense. Just for a change of speed. It should be fun!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Just one of the three from the group of Mike, Mike and Ryan need to step up and grab a role playing 15-18 minutes a game. My money is on Layssard.
Totally agree with this take. Regardless of how few minutes Preston and Mike T played, I never saw any great basketball skills, at least not at this level. I hope they both prove me wrong.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Just one of the three from the group of Mike, Mike and Ryan need to step up and grab a role playing 15-18 minutes a game. My money is on Layssard.
I would say more like 8-10 minutes.
“We will be good when we are good.”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome great exposure for D.C. !!!!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I didn't want to start a separate thread. I had heard a rumor that there was going to be a show at Coast Guard House, glad it was officially announced. Not sure if anyone is familiar, but there's this TERRIBLE group called Tribeca who plays at CGH on Monday afternoons in the summer. Tribeca is worse than listening to drunk karaoke. They play the SAME 5 songs all the time (most notably "This Is How We Do It" by Montel Jordan). The crowd Tribeca attracts is something else. I highly recommend getting there early if you can because the people watching on the CGH deck is fantastic. Hoping to see you all there!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice they are doing this in the off season , hopefully we get some more news that we didn't know about
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Taylor Swift wrote:

I didn't want to start a separate thread. I had heard a rumor that there was going to be a show at Coast Guard House, glad it was officially announced. Not sure if anyone is familiar, but there's this TERRIBLE group called Tribeca who plays at CGH on Monday afternoons in the summer. Tribeca is worse than listening to drunk karaoke. They play the SAME 5 songs all the time (most notably "This Is How We Do It" by Montel Jordan). The crowd Tribeca attracts is something else. I highly recommend getting there early if you can because the people watching on the CGH deck is fantastic. Hoping to see you all there!
Lololol!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Taylor Swift wrote:
Coach’s Show tonight.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: David Cox Coach's Show - Mon June 18 6pm Coast Guard House

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Steve and Don (on tonight) aren't good. Steve never stops talking. He doesn’t let Coach answer the questions. Steve had to do his jokes about eating and then go on laughing throughout several segments. Coach Cox is forthcoming and will share a lot if Steve just stopped talking. Don went on and on about the 1958-59 team from Archbishop Carroll HS team. It took the whole segment that they were going to talk about recruiting. In the end Steve gave coach 30 seconds to explain the transfer rule change. Steve also isn’t up-to-date on the team or that the Father Son Camp (he was promoting) already happened. At least Don stays inform.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think they do a good job calling the games, and the post game show when it actually works (last year was a disaster). But they are not interviewers for sure.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Information learned:
Coaching staff is finalized can’t be announced until July 1st. He didn’t say if they were on campus.
4 hours of on court practice per week with 4 one hour seasons. They are 4 weeks in. Week One was individual work for 30 mins & shootong for 30 mins. Week Two they add 2 on 0 ball screens and then played 2 on 2. Week Three they moved to 3 on 3 play and Week Four they moved to 4 on 4 play.
They also have 4 hours per weeks of wtg training etc with the staff.
Players:
Biggest surprise was that coach has had Omar playing PG since day 1. He wants him to improve his ball handling. Said he is a very good passer.
He said Tyrese is a good slasher and defender. That the year of Prep helps him. He needs to improve his shot.
He said Dana is what they expected - physical and a good midrange scorer. They are working on his physical flexibility.
Jermaine is going to play down low/inside. He said he likes to go outside but they are emphasizing down low. He doesn't want him to get in Jeff’s & Fatts’ way of scoring outside.
A few players are injured and not participating in practice - he didn’t say who but said all 4 Fr were practicing.
He discribed the Fr day. It is full from 7:30 am until dinner. They all do their own individual work in addition to the team workouts.

Scheduling
He called Nevada HC and got a weak answer that their Ast Coaches doing all the scheduling. Cox called BS on that.
Harvard was the replacement for the Nevada game.

Jeff & Fatts were on. They both did very well.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I will be rooting against Nevada every game this year.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Sad to hear the host couldn’t keep the show on message, nobody calls in to listen to them.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

theblueram wrote:I will be rooting against Nevada every game this year.
And the year after next...and after that season...and the next...and so on

Seriously F Nevada
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thanks for the summary 83 great stuff
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

One thing I missed above. Coach did talk a little about the on campus recruiting.
He said that on the official visit when the scheduled items are completed (meals, tour, meeting w academic advisor) the recruits spend time with the players. He said the current players make the difference and that is why they are so successful with recruits that visit.
He also said that recruits want to know about their role/playing time. The approach is to be very truthful because you don’t want a player to come to URI and then not live up to what you committed to. The recruits remember everything.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Thanks for summary, Rhody83!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Coaches might be truthful but they couch everything: if you work hard ..... if you develop your game ... if you get stronger. No one told Layssard and Tertsea that they would sit for two years. Preston was told he fit a need and would play.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote:One thing I missed above. Coach did talk a little about the on campus recruiting.
He said that on the official visit when the scheduled items are completed (meals, tour, meeting w academic advisor) the recruits spend time with the players. He said the current players make the difference and that is why they are so successful with recruits that visit.
He also said that recruits want to know about their role/playing time. The approach is to be very truthful because you don’t want a player to come to URI and then not live up to what you committed to. The recruits remember everything.
I seem to remember hearing that Andre was a guy that they paired recruits up with because everyone liked him and he did a great job showing recruits around. I wonder who takes that role now
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Different guys for different recruits based on positions and geography.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Different guys for different recruits based on positions and geography.
It was that way even when Dre was there.
DMV recruits are matched with players from the DMV.

Terrell was with Dana with Expressions connection. Dana came for his visit after giving a verbal.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Does anyone know who is injured?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:Information learned:
Coaching staff is finalized can’t be announced until July 1st.
Has any reasonable explanation been given to explain why this is the case? I understand the annual budget starts July 1st. I however do not understand why vacated positions (with pre-budgeted salary not being spent) cannot be filled. Per this logic (oxymoron), if a position was vacated four months into the year, URI would have to wait eight months before hiring. Makes no sense. No well managed organization runs like this. Many of these positions have been empty for 3.5 months. Why is it that only the head coach was able to be hired?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote:
Has any reasonable explanation been given to explain why this is the case? I understand the annual budget starts July 1st. I however do not understand why vacated positions (with pre-budgeted salary not being spent) cannot be filled. Per this logic (oxymoron), if a position was vacated four months into the year, URI would have to wait eight months before hiring. Makes no sense. No well managed organization runs like this. Many of these positions have been empty for 3.5 months. Why is it that only the head coach was able to be hired?
I thought someone said that Sutton was still being paid by Pitt. I'm not sure about Carroll's case.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If they lost a coach four months into the fiscal year, that would coincide with the start of the season, so of course they move to immediately replace that coach on the bench. Here, there is neglible downside to handling it this way, especially since it seems like the paperwork holdup isn’t posing much of an obstacle to the coaches “in limbo” actually doing their jobs. If by waiting until July 1 to make the hire officially official they are able to roll some of the FY18 budget into FY19 to supplement what they can otherwise pay a coach in FY19, and if that coach doesn’t care about that kind of accounting because they’re being paid thru a certain date by their former employer or because URI could give them more total money by doing it this way, then I actually give us credit for being creative and solution-oriented. I don’t care if nobody else in college basketball operates this way. We aren’t anyone else in college basketball. We have our own unique blend of challenges and aspirations, so we have to do what is best for us. Of all the consternation about when the coaching hires are going to be announced, nobody has even pretended that it actually matters - it’s all about our desire to know what is actually going on. Recruiting is happening, coaching during the new practice period is happening. I’m sure it is less than ideal, but it is definitely not the end of the world.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is typically against the accounting norm to roll a dept surplus from one year over to the next. I would imagine this to be an even more rare case in a public/government institution.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:
Why does it matter though? If the coaches are there and working, why is the date on the press release announcing their hire so important?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It does matter some. Sutton has not interacted with recruits directly. He is not able to sell Rhody to potential recruits. We have an inexperienced staff person (TJ) who has never recruited before at any level competing against experienced D1 Ast Coaches (like Dave Cox level). We are also short another recruiter. Our competition has 4 experienced recruiters on the road and we have 2. Hiw could the 2 Ast being hired have contract issues preventing a 1 1/2 to almost 3 month delay. What a coincidence.

If this approach had little to no impact and a positive financial impact, why isn’t any other school doing this? We are the only Top 50 school with two open positions and have been for over a month. Are we that much smarter than everyone else? Why have we never had this issue before with all the turnover we have had at the Ast level. How come Bobby Hurley was announced as an Ast Coach the same day that Dan was announced as the HC on March 22,2012. Thorr blew this one. It shows a sign that URI is being cheap.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think Sutton was being paid by Pitt until June 1. If he's still being paid by Pitt I don't think he'd be showing up on Channel 12 News. Pitt might have a problem with that.
Why hasn't Carroll been announced? he's not being paid by his previous employer. Why wasn't he at the practice shown on Channel 12?
Why could they hire a video coordinator before July 1 but not an assistant coach?
Why was UConn, also a state university, able to fill their staff quickly?
I'm not sure about the impact either. But having a staff of Cox (first-year head coach), Boswell (1 year as an assistant) and TJ (1 year as DBO) during a recruiting period seems like a disadvantage when compared to other schools.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We'll see how this recruiting class turns out, but I when something is going on that at first appears strange, my experience teaches me that there is usually a plan being executed that I am not privy to. Of course, sometimes it is just sheer incompetence. I guess it comes down to whether you think the people making the decisions are more likely to be executing a plan or suffering from incompetence. I think the people we have there now are smart, fortunately, but I guess other people might feel differently.

I will say that clearly this is not a perfect situation. Certainly there is some downside to doing it this way, otherwise everyone would do it this way. But I also suspect that there is a reason that it is being done this way, and that the people making the decisions arrived at this approach by weighing all of the relevant factors and concluding this approach is in the best big-picture interest of the program.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Iggy1979 wrote:I think Sutton was being paid by Pitt until June 1. If he's still being paid by Pitt I don't think he'd be showing up on Channel 12 News. Pitt might have a problem with that.
Why hasn't Carroll been announced? he's not being paid by his previous employer. Why wasn't he at the practice shown on Channel 12?
Why could they hire a video coordinator before July 1 but not an assistant coach?
Why was UConn, also a state university, able to fill their staff quickly?
I'm not sure about the impact either. But having a staff of Cox (first-year head coach), Boswell (1 year as an assistant) and TJ (1 year as DBO) during a recruiting period seems like a disadvantage when compared to other schools.
I've heard the Sutton situation will be a go in July. Can't speak for his appearance on the news but that may have been a mistake by his/URI's part having him present during taping.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They don’t make mistakes like that. Cox is sharp. They know the rules and would have had him step out when the taping portion was going on.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think our primary recruiting targets were well in place before this summer started.....so I do not worry that TJ is hindering us for the imminent class....It may be more difficult if we do not hit on our top targets in the next few months....the class of 2020 may be impacted but it seems that we have offered some good players there too.....

...I am not too worried about the logistics of hiring dates....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Whatever the reason for the delay in the "official" hiring, it is mickey mouse way to operate an organization.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote:Whatever the reason for the delay in the "official" hiring, it is mickey mouse way to operate an organization.
Honestly why do people even care about this? I could care less, I’m excited about the staff they hired, prospects they are recruiting, their ability to hold onto almost all incoming recruits and all current players, schedule is decent and will be even stronger next year, and overall trajectory of the program continues to rise. Those are the important things guys!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:
RF1 wrote:Whatever the reason for the delay in the "official" hiring, it is mickey mouse way to operate an organization.
Honestly why do people even care about this? I could care less, I’m excited about the staff they hired, prospects they are recruiting, their ability to hold onto almost all incoming recruits and all current players, schedule is decent and will be even stronger next year, and overall trajectory of the program continues to rise. Those are the important things guys!

Because it looks like another sign that URI athletics is not serious about having a first class successful men's basketball program. Most here have attributed the situation to money. Whether it is no money left in the current budget or those hiring will make more from previous employers through the end of their contract, its reeks of being cheap. It goes along with the meager 6% increase in the assistant pool at a time when revenues are at an all time high and the head coaching salary is decreasing with a new first time coach. It is anything but thinking big.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Because it looks like another sign that that URI athletics is not serious about having a first class successful men's basketball program. Most here have attributed the situation to money. Whether it is no money left in the current budget or those hiring will make more from previous employers through the end of their contract, its reeks of being cheap. It goes along with the meager 6% increase in the assistant pool at a time when revenues are at an all time high and the head coaching salary is decreasing with a new first time coach. It is anything but thinking big.
Totally agree with RF1. We had great momentum regarding program advancements coming of the NCAA Tournament. Go back to Thorr’s comments about still moving forward with the spending that was committed to Dan in negotiations around chartered flights to all games and a practice facility completed within 2 years. At the Press Conference announcing Coach Cox, Thorr said he wanted to meet with Coach Cox to understand where his priorities are so that Thorr focuses the spending on Cox’s priorities. First, you have to be kidding me if you think that wasn’t a specific topic covered in the interview process. Secondly, it has been 2 1/2 months and we haven’t heard boo on this. This along with the hiring delays reaks of being cheap on Thorr’s part. A big part of D1 college basketball is PR/Markeing to impact recruits, fans (tickets) & donors. We are missing the mark. Go on Twitter and see how much PC tweets about their practice facility. Also how much PR/Marketing Hurley & UCONN do.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I am not worried about the staff that's going to take care of itself. The improvements that were promised like 83 mentioned that's the progress I would like to see
dave11to28
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by dave11to28 »

Will there be a coach's show in july or august? I am in gansett for a few weeks on vaca and would love to attend one.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

dave11to28 wrote:Will there be a coach's show in july or august? I am in gansett for a few weeks on vaca and would love to attend one.
I don't believe so, but would be great if there was another one this summer. Sounds like the shows will pick up again as the season commences.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: David Cox Coach's Show

Tomorrow night
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox Coach's Show

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Anyone going tonight? I will be there.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: David Cox Coach's Show - TONIGHT 6pm @ Two Ten Oyster Bar, Wakefield

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hope they have the Sox game on. Tough luck scheduling against the ALCS.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Man, this staff is easy love. All so well spoken. Of course I’m biased, but just listening to Cox, Sutton and Carroll speak would sell me.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Any link to listen to the show tonight?
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I found it intriguing that Silverio is working as a point guard, the extra work for Mike T (with Akele and Layssard gone they need something from him), and Dana Tate having the body of an upperclassman who can’t be pushed around. My take from this is that we may see Silverio being the third point guard behind Dowtin and Russell (and also play the two), Martin playing three, Tate getting time at the four, with Mike T serving as a back up to Langevine and Martin.

Coach Cox mentioned an 8 to 9 man rotation. My guess would be as follows:

Dowtin (1-2)
Russell. (1-2)
Martin (2-3 sometimes 4)
Harris. (4-5)
Langevine (5)

Thompson (2-3)
Tate. (3-4 maybe 5 in spots)
Silverio. (1-2)

Preston (4) and Tertsea (5)