Note To Dan Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Note To Dan Hurley

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:But...but...but.... only 2 of the 8 starters weren't guards. <sarcasm> I get your point and have to agree with what you and Rod said about 4 guards only taking you so far. But this team just didn't have it to play with 2 bigs...and I don't think any amount of shuffling and trying guys (that he had) was going to make a difference. He wasn't ever going to make this team into a unit that could compete with Duke's inside skill/size, regardless of what combos he played during the year. I think he got the most out of what he had and it was an unfortunate matchup. Now, if you want to say that he coulda/shoulda had different/better players, specifically bigs, feel free...I'm not smart enough to second guess recruiting. I just don't think there's anything he could have done during this season to narrow the gap w/Duke. Just my opinion.

I agree with you except that we will really never know because Preston (who I never cared too much for anyway), Layssard and Tertsea never got off the bench. It always seemed to me like Hurley did not want them to show too much because fans might question him. I thought the same thing last year when Berry had absolutely awesome games against Brown and Dayton but then he would go games without getting off the bench. It always made me think Dan had something against Berry or he did not want Berry to show his talent so much that he would have to play him due to fan pressure.
I'll never understand Layssard and Tertsea just not every getting into a game much at all.

So could they play? If you are all in with Dan Hurley that he could never possibly be wrong about anything then you say Layssard and Tertsea nevery should have been on the court at all - but I think Hurley gets stubborn and does not like to put players out there on the court that could make fans talk about how maybe they could or should be out there.

I know that having watched the Duke game that our playing all season with one Big Man on the Court (except for Games 1,2 in November) was never, ever going to work against a Top 25 Team with two good Big Men. We should have been better prepared to insert two Bigs at a time when they might be needed. We failed in this regard. Would not have beaten Duke, but our Snowball would have been a bit bigger in our chances.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I agree with both of you. But the two bigs didn’t need to start we could have explored with that line up during games we controlled. Any nitwit could of guessed there’d be a game in the Dance where those two needed to play at the same time. But when Duke brought there AAA game against us that day not sure anything mattered.

GO RHODY!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right Brady.
They did not have to start.
But the fact that they just about never played together was a miss by Hurley.
You are right about any nitwit. If it wasn't Duke it would have been someone else

Makes you wonder if Hurley actually gets so close to his players he has trouble stepping back and making the bigger, overall assessment.

I was even surprised he went the desperation move putting Berry ad Langevine in at the same time. It made perfect sense, but I did not expect a "perfect sense" move from Hurley in that regard. 4 Guard Line up can work, but to have this the only bullet in your gun can backfire and it did.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I really do not care about this at all

sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Ramster, I always appreciate your posts but I think you’re pretty off-base in this regard. There is 0% chance that Hurley didn’t play Tertsea/Layssard/Preston more because he was worried about “fan pressure” to play them more. Why would he, or any coach, not play the best players to give his team the best chance of winning?

4 guard lineups were hands-down our best chances to win games this year. We just happened to run into a team that has two 6’11” lottery picks. You can’t gameplan for that, unless you put Stan in six-inch platforms.

I know some people liked to complain about role-playing bigs going off for career highs against us, but how many more guards did we keep 8 or more points below their season average? That was the trade off. Worked out really well for us this year.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

sf2010 wrote:Ramster, I always appreciate your posts but I think you’re pretty off-base in this regard. There is 0% chance that Hurley didn’t play Tertsea/Layssard/Preston more because he was worried about “fan pressure” to play them more. Why would he, or any coach, not play the best players to give his team the best chance of winning?

4 guard lineups were hands-down our best chances to win games this year. We just happened to run into a team that has two 6’11” lottery picks. You can’t gameplan for that, unless you put Stan in six-inch platforms.

I know some people liked to complain about role-playing bigs going off for career highs against us, but how many more guards did we keep 8 or more points below their season average? That was the trade off. Worked out really well for us this year.
At the end of the day we were never going to beat duke. No matter if we met them in the second round or the final four.

To be honest, watching the tournament, it seems like they were the one team we had no shot against.

Tough draw that we got them in the 2nd round.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
sf2010 wrote:Ramster, I always appreciate your posts but I think you’re pretty off-base in this regard. There is 0% chance that Hurley didn’t play Tertsea/Layssard/Preston more because he was worried about “fan pressure” to play them more. Why would he, or any coach, not play the best players to give his team the best chance of winning?

At the end of the day we were never going to beat duke. No matter if we met them in the second round or the final four.

To be honest, watching the tournament, it seems like they were the one team we had no shot against.

Tough draw that we got them in the 2nd round.
and for about the 10th time I never said we would have beaten Duke. I also probably do not mean to say too heavily that Hurley did not play the big men because of "fan pressure". I am really at a loss why Hurley went all season (except games 1 and 2) playing only 1 big man at a time.

But his lack of preparing for the Bigger Sweet 16 Type of teams who would be playing at least 2 Big Men was a mistake in my opinion. If it wasn't Duke it would have been some other team.

Seem to me he missed the boat on this aspect. Feel free to disagree but I said this 4 guard line up was not likely to take us too far in post season play before the season started.

and I do not know how Tertsea or Layssard would have done - nobody does because we never saw them
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You know who did see plenty of Tertsea and Layssard? Hurley. And he clearly didn't think they could help the team this season.

I think you are relying way too heavily on the benefit of hindsight here. What if he spent all season trying to work bigs into the lineup more and it cost us some games? What if it put us in a position to not get an at large? What if it cost us an A10 tourney game? Would the reaction of the fanbase been "well we didn't make the tournament this year but its ok because Hurley had to play weaker players just in case we match up with a big team in the Sweet 16". You play to win the game, as a wise man once said!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Btw Rhody was 5-5 in their last 10 games with the last game being the only one of those 5 losses vs a ranked team.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:You know who did see plenty of Tertsea and Layssard? Hurley. And he clearly didn't think they could help the team this season.

I think you are relying way too heavily on the benefit of hindsight here. No, not true at all. I said before the season started that playing 4 guards exclusively was likely to not work out when we would meet up with teams in the NCAA Tournament that played 2 strong big men. That was foresight not hindsight

What if he spent all season trying to work bigs into the lineup more and it cost us some games? And what if trying to work bigs into the lineup more and it won us some games and it prepared those bigs to play better together late in the season against Davidson in the A10 Tournament Championship? We will never know. What we do know is that the 4 guard line up failed vs Duke and in a panic of desperation Hurley went with Berry and Langevine together and they were all out of sync - as would be expected when they never played together since the first two game in November - no surprise at all.

What if it put us in a position to not get an at large? What if it helped us win at St Bonaventure who played a bigger front line than we did? What if it helped us in rebounding where we often struggled? What if it put us in a better position for a better seed? It is not like we were playing better our last 10 games - we were sliding down the Top 25 Ranking not holding our own or climbing

What if it cost us an A10 tourney game? What if it allowed us to beat Davidson?

Would the reaction of the fanbase been "well we didn't make the tournament this year but its ok because Hurley had to play weaker players just in case we match up with a big team in the Sweet 16". You play to win the game, as a wise man once said! I could care less about what the fan base would think if I was Coaching the team. I would not make my substitutions based on possible fan reaction. You can play scared and conservative and worry about what the fan base thinks or you can manage the team to have a balance and to be prepared for teams that would put bigger line ups against you. Look at the teams that went zone on us. They did that because they saw us as a team that would have difficulty driving in the lane and scoring. Duke did that and when we did go inside they blocked our shots. They also knew that we were not an outstanding outside shooting team. Despite being guard heavy our guards were not great shooters - not like Jimmy Baron, Cutino Mobley, Tyson Wheeler..........
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH seems like a very loyal coach to his players. It's obvious he builds trust with them and then he sticks with them.
He gave Preston a shot to play early in the year then he didn't trust him for whatever reason so he never played him again in a close game
I was never much of a fan of the 4 guard lineup and knew it would bite us in the end in games that mattered but it did give us the best chance to win games so that's what DH stuck with
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Take a look at Syracuse Duke if you think a 4 guard line up will suffice:
Syracuse with 2 Forwards and a Center:
Brissett Forward - 6'8" 210lb Freshman
Dolezaj Forward - 6'9" Freshman
Chuckwu Center - 7'2" Junior
Howard Guard 6'5"
Battle Guard 6'6"

Duke with 2 big men:
Carter 6'10" 259 lbs
Bagley 6'11" 234 lbs

We were too small for either of these two teams
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ramster wrote:Take a look at Syracuse Duke if you think a 4 guard line up will suffice:
Howard Guard 6'5"
Battle Guard 6'6"

Duke with 2 big men:
Carter 6'10" 259 lbs
Bagley 6'11" 234 lbs

I’m not sure what your point is here. 6 of our 8 best players were guards. And there is a pretty big drop-off in our talent level after the top 8. If you’re saying that Hurley should have brought in more size (or better big men) over the last couple years then sure I can get on board with that.

I guess what I’m saying is I don’t agree that he should’ve played our bench bigs more because they were not even close to as good as our top guards. And I don’t think that any amount of “working them in” would have made our bigs magically more talented and given us a better chance against big teams. I’m a believer in playing to your strengths. Our strengths were pressure defense and backcourt depth. Would’ve been a mistake to try to square peg / round hole the roster into constant PG/SG/SF/PF/C lineups.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:But...but...but.... only 2 of the 8 starters weren't guards. <sarcasm> I get your point and have to agree with what you and Rod said about 4 guards only taking you so far. But this team just didn't have it to play with 2 bigs...and I don't think any amount of shuffling and trying guys (that he had) was going to make a difference. He wasn't ever going to make this team into a unit that could compete with Duke's inside skill/size, regardless of what combos he played during the year. I think he got the most out of what he had and it was an unfortunate matchup. Now, if you want to say that he coulda/shoulda had different/better players, specifically bigs, feel free...I'm not smart enough to second guess recruiting. I just don't think there's anything he could have done during this season to narrow the gap w/Duke. Just my opinion.

I agree with you except that we will really never know because Preston (who I never cared too much for anyway), Layssard and Tertsea never got off the bench. It always seemed to me like Hurley did not want them to show too much because fans might question him. I thought the same thing last year when Berry had absolutely awesome games against Brown and Dayton but then he would go games without getting off the bench. It always made me think Dan had something against Berry or he did not want Berry to show his talent so much that he would have to play him due to fan pressure.
I'll never understand Layssard and Tertsea just not every getting into a game much at all.

So could they play? If you are all in with Dan Hurley that he could never possibly be wrong about anything then you say Layssard and Tertsea nevery should have been on the court at all - but I think Hurley gets stubborn and does not like to put players out there on the court that could make fans talk about how maybe they could or should be out there.

I know that having watched the Duke game that our playing all season with one Big Man on the Court (except for Games 1,2 in November) was never, ever going to work against a Top 25 Team with two good Big Men. We should have been better prepared to insert two Bigs at a time when they might be needed. We failed in this regard. Would not have beaten Duke, but our Snowball would have been a bit bigger in our chances.
Tertsea was totally lost on both ends of the court in what little time he played...Layssard and Preston both seemed to show some promise.. At least for a few minutes of banging inside. Problem seemed they did not function how Hurley wanted them defensively, thus no playing time. They would have had to contribute during non conference schedule or at beginning of league play to earn time. I would like one more functional big on this team and a coach that mixes it up defensively.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ramster wrote:Take a look at Syracuse Duke if you think a 4 guard line up will suffice:
Howard Guard 6'5"
Battle Guard 6'6"

Duke with 2 big men:
Carter 6'10" 259 lbs
Bagley 6'11" 234 lbs

Myself and the late great Rod used to argue the point of as good as our guys were, we were just way too small to compete seriously on the national level. Cunningham had his way down low with us and though he is a very good player, he is hardly a true "big" on the national landscape as Don Kaull would lead you to believe. Rod and myself were always lambasted when we argued against Hurley assessment that the game has gone small, but of course that was not allowed here by many, to question anything Dan did, even when you offer a fact based opinion. Don't fogret Marquis Bolden at Duke either. Watch FSU and Mich today same thing, Texas Tech, Purdue, MIch St. Even Villanova who is considered small has a very strong 6-9 Spellman, husky Paschall and a super player in Bridges at 6-7. Any of these teams competing at this level has at least 2 more than serviceable big guys. who are at a minimal 6-7.6-8 and many have a 6-10 to 7-0 guy who is very solid at worst. Look at Gonzaga please. We wanted to be Gonzaga east I thought?

While I certainly understand big guys and highly rated ones at that are not readily available and that the p-5 school typically scoop them up, but there are guys out there. No, we are not Kansas, KY, Duke, but I hope the next coach. and I assume he will , whoever he may be, will go a little bigger. We will certainly be bigger , much bigger if we keep the entire incoming class. Being so small is fine in the A 10, but if there are true aspirations to step it up to a higher level, you are going to have to go bigger, bottom line. As good as Stan was this year, it's not fair to have a 6-4, 190 lb power forward trying to play against someone 6-7 230 let alone someone like Bagley.

Thought I read here that someone commented something to the effect that perhaps Dan didn't want to play any of those guys(Mikes and Preston) in the fear that they may show something and therefore he may be questioned, which also was not allowed. Certainly the 3 bigger guys in question didn't show much,but it was also very strange those guys could barely got any minutes, even when we were up 25 pts in a game with a couple minutes left. I think it is possible, with a new coach, Laysaard in particular, may show to be at the very least, a serviceable guy.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So this thread has been derailed.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I don’t have the same sentimental feeling about Hurley nor am I compelled to write a letter. He got paid to do a job; he did it very well, and he moved on to do the same thing elsewhere, for more money. It’s as simple as that. And IMO he made that choice, not the fans and their alleged lack of support. Time for all of us to move on
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Like most...my grief stages are all through the map.

Acceptance hit first and I was strangely at peace. Then I’ve gone through some bargaining and depression but releasing some fairly recent quotes has sent me back to anger.

Hurley -- 'It's also a time for college coaches in general to understand their role in young people's lives. It's not about winning championships and making as much money as you can in your own personal career. Coaching used to be an educator, a mentor, a teacher.' #URI

I am still thankful for everything Dan did here and we all owe him serious gratitude for getting us to this point where we are a turn key championship program.

That said, this quote was from less than a month ago.

Dude WTF. Like I am happy for the guy if UConn is his dream job. He deserves to be happy after the happiness he gave us. That contract is huge and anyone would be dumb not to take that level of security and stability.

But cmon...don’t say that shit if you don’t mean it.

That’s the kind of stuff that makes people like me really believe that when we put a legitimate coaching offer in front of you, that you’re going to take it.

Again, I still think there was plenty of plausibility to the timeline and events of last years negations leading us here...but dude. I thought you were better than this.

Thank you all in advance for dealing with the gamut of emotions I will be running until Dave Cox is introduced in the next 2 weeks.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're thankful for what DH did for our program.. but feel betrayed that he lied about accepting our contract if we showed dedication to the basketball program. And also that he called his players "family" and left them a week later. Oh well
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI'21 wrote:I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're thankful for what DH did for our program.. but feel betrayed that he lied about accepting our contract if we showed dedication to the basketball program. And also that he called his players "family" and left them a week later. Oh well
A couple of weeks ago....Hurley -- 'It's also a time for college coaches in general to understand their role in young people's lives. It's not about winning championships and making as much money as you can in your own personal career. Coaching used to be an educator, a mentor, a teacher.'

Yesterday....Hurley --" I knew deep down inside I wanted one more job in coaching, a place where Final Fours and national championships are a distinct possibility. I had to make one more move to put myself in that position, and this was that move. This was that destination."

Obviously, that first statement was a bunch of bullshit.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There is space for someone to be happy with the results of the 4 guard lineup and have a desire that the coach work and tweak lineups toward playing in March. Height doesn't have to win the game, it just has to hold the line where the other team's height cant tip the scale so far in the other direction.

Hopefully we are more physical next year. The roster should be.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote:Like most...my grief stages are all through the map.

Acceptance hit first and I was strangely at peace. Then I’ve gone through some bargaining and depression but releasing some fairly recent quotes has sent me back to anger.

Hurley -- 'It's also a time for college coaches in general to understand their role in young people's lives. It's not about winning championships and making as much money as you can in your own personal career. Coaching used to be an educator, a mentor, a teacher.' #URI

I am still thankful for everything Dan did here and we all owe him serious gratitude for getting us to this point where we are a turn key championship program.

Dude WTF. Like I am happy for the guy if UConn is his dream job. He deserves to be happy after the happiness he gave us. That contract is huge and anyone would be dumb not to take that level of security and stability.

That’s the kind of stuff that makes people like me really believe that when we put a legitimate coaching offer in front of you, that you’re going to take it.

Again, I still think there was plenty of plausibility to the timeline and events of last years negations leading us here...but dude. I thought you were better than this.

Thank you all in advance for dealing with the gamut of emotions I will be running until Dave Cox is introduced in the next 2 weeks.
Well said BM, 2 things that are most difficult to rectify. That quote and then the actions of taking the job 14 days later. And that he likely coached, at minimum 1 game (if not more), already knowing he was about to blow town. Both of those are D bag moves. Everything else is life.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:Like most...my grief stages are all through the map.

Especially when followed up by this quote yesterday...--" I knew deep down inside I wanted one more job in coaching, a place where Final Fours and national championships are a distinct possibility. I had to make one more move to put myself in that position, and this was that move. This was that destination."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Page is more than turned for me, I’m excited because of Thorr stating his goal - final four.

Whatever staff he picks to get us there I’m all in. 100%.

Get there and we set up the men’s hoops program and the entire athletic department for decades. Isn’t that what we all want?

Let’s get there quick!!!

Go Rhody!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hurley is now officially dead to me.
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"Especially when followed up by this quote yesterday...--" I knew deep down inside I wanted one more job in coaching, a place where Final Fours and national championships are a distinct possibility. I had to make one more move to put myself in that position, and this was that move. This was that destination."

I think it was Dan himself, though I may be wrong, could have been Cooley, but on recruiting it was said about tradition, kids today that you recruit don't remember who won the national championship 2 years ago, let a lone when they were in diapers. While UConn' s tradition is certainly one of the best, it is not the Calhoun years in the old Big East. It is a much different landscape for that program in a different standing. I find it hard to believe anyone, especially with a brother that played at Duke and a father in the HOF with their rich tradition in basketball would honestly believe a team that may soon face sanctions and is in the middle of the road in the AAC (not ACC) is his dream job.

Like BM said, he did great by URI while here and if it is his dream job he does deserve to be happy and with those salary figures mentioned, I think it would be hard for anyone to ignore that.

I don't think this would happen, but hypothetically if Syracuse or Duke came calling and giving him another raise, would that become he"real" dream job?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote:"Especially when followed up by this quote yesterday...--" I knew deep down inside I wanted one more job in coaching, a place where Final Fours and national championships are a distinct possibility. I had to make one more move to put myself in that position, and this was that move. This was that destination."

I think it was Dan himself, though I may be wrong, could have been Cooley, but on recruiting it was said about tradition, kids today that you recruit don't remember who won the national championship 2 years ago, let a lone when they were in diapers. While UConn' s tradition is certainly one of the best, it is not the Calhoun years in the old Big East. It is a much different landscape for that program in a different standing. I find it hard to believe anyone, especially with a brother that played at Duke and a father in the HOF with their rich tradition in basketball would honestly believe a team that may soon face sanctions and is in the middle of the road in the AAC (not ACC) is his dream job.

Like BM said, he did great by URI while here and if it is his dream job he does deserve to be happy and with those salary figures mentioned, I think it would be hard for anyone to ignore that.

I don't think this would happen, but hypothetically if Syracuse or Duke came calling and giving him another raise, would that become (t)he "real" dream job?
May not have to wait all that long to find out...
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

If Hurley leaves UConn we'll have to keep a running tally of lies he's told the program he's coaching:

1. St Benedicts - "I'm not looking to be a college coach"
2. Wagner - "It feels like home"
3. Rhody - "We're a Family"
4. UConn - "My dream job"

Disclaimer: I'm still very salty about DH leaving
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I wish Dan was still our coach, but he is not.

There are other ways to interpret this quote without working in absolutes:

Dan literally has not chased the dollar his entire career. Certainly not as St Benedicts coach for 9 years. His entry to D1 head coaching at Wagner and the shocking reality of low 1 bid leagues was the motivation to try a school like URI in a league like the A10. While at URI, twice he was courted hard by Rutgers, and other schools showed interest (St Johns, GTown, etc) to some degree. If he was in this for fast cash he would have taken that second Rutgers offer a few years ago. He did not. Instead he used these opportunities to pull the University up the stairs with him to new levels of commitment and performance. He stayed at Rhode Island with Hass, EC, Jared, Jarvis and others. Together, they all earned NCAA tournament and championship experiences. He gave us, the fans, championship experiences -- as promised.

Now after doing so, one of his dream jobs becomes available. This job opening provided the least disruption to his family based on proximity and provides him the chance to make his last move and see what he can do without any limitations. Had UConn not opened, he'd still be our coach. He wasn't going to Pitt even with $3.5M offers.

Dan Hurley was and continues to be an educator, mentor and teacher. He will play a key role in the lives of those kids at UConn well beyond preparing them for professional careers.

My feelings on this would be completely different had he gone to a Seton Hall, Rutgers, Pitt for the big payday -- especially if he left before fulfilling promises made here. Dan Hurley leaves URI in an excellent position to continue this arc of winning consistently and winning bigger. He literally delivered on every single promise made the day he was hired. He made the University and State proud the way the team played on the court and represented themselves off the court.

We are poised to experience a clean continuation of success like we've never seen with this basketball program. At massively successful programs like Xavier, they found the formula where cultivating highly talented coaches within their staff is the best way to provide continuous program growth and success. Thadd Matta succeeded by Sean Miller who had never been a head coach. Sean Miller succeeded by Chris Mack who had never been a head coach. Dan Hurley has left URI with this excellent option at a time when administration and fan support is at its highest level in 2 decades.

This is a great time to be a Rhode Island Rams fan. Go Rhody!
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Kudos to ATP ....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well said ATP

DH is gone moved on to one of his destination spots left out program in really great shape now we need to build off this and keep the momentum going
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes, Reef!! Let's GOOOOOO
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote:Well said ATP

DH is gone moved on to one of his destination spots left out program in really great shape now we need to build off this and keep the momentum going
There are of course lots of questions that would come with Pitino...but there is no question that he would take this program to the next level. Folks can argue about the baggage and fears...maybe legit, but, I don't think you can say he wouldn't bring the program to the next level...or at least have a better shot to do so than anyone else mentioned yet.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:I wish Dan was still our coach, but he is not.

There are other ways to interpret this quote without working in absolutes:

Dan literally has not chased the dollar his entire career. Certainly not as St Benedicts coach for 9 years. His entry to D1 head coaching at Wagner and the shocking reality of low 1 bid leagues was the motivation to try a school like URI in a league like the A10. While at URI, twice he was courted hard by Rutgers, and other schools showed interest (St Johns, GTown, etc) to some degree. If he was in this for fast cash he would have taken that second Rutgers offer a few years ago. He did not. Instead he used these opportunities to pull the University up the stairs with him to new levels of commitment and performance. He stayed at Rhode Island with Hass, EC, Jared, Jarvis and others. Together, they all earned NCAA tournament and championship experiences. He gave us, the fans, championship experiences -- as promised.

Now after doing so, one of his dream jobs becomes available. This job opening provided the least disruption to his family based on proximity and provides him the chance to make his last move and see what he can do without any limitations. Had UConn not opened, he'd still be our coach. He wasn't going to Pitt even with $3.5M offers.

Dan Hurley was and continues to be an educator, mentor and teacher. He will play a key role in the lives of those kids at UConn well beyond preparing them for professional careers.

My feelings on this would be completely different had he gone to a Seton Hall, Rutgers, Pitt for the big payday -- especially if he left before fulfilling promises made here. Dan Hurley leaves URI in an excellent position to continue this arc of winning consistently and winning bigger. He literally delivered on every single promise made the day he was hired. He made the University and State proud the way the team played on the court and represented themselves off the court.

We are poised to experience a clean continuation of success like we've never seen with this basketball program. At massively successful programs like Xavier, they found the formula where cultivating highly talented coaches within their staff is the best way to provide continuous program growth and success. Thadd Matta succeeded by Sean Miller who had never been a head coach. Sean Miller succeeded by Chris Mack who had never been a head coach. Dan Hurley has left URI with this excellent option at a time when administration and fan support is at its highest level in 2 decades.

This is a great time to be a Rhode Island Rams fan. Go Rhody!
Look, I have no problem with Dan taking his dream job. He's happy. Hopefully, his wife and kids are happy with the decision too.....Two weeks ago, he said it's not about winning championships. Yesterday, he said he left URI to go to UConn to have a chance to go to Final Fours and win championships. Can that be interpreted different ways also?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
giovanni wrote:
I don't think this would happen, but hypothetically if Syracuse or Duke came calling and giving him another raise, would that become (t)he "real" dream job?
May not have to wait all that long to find out...
UCONN knows Dan’s word is good so they put a buyout of $8 million if he leaves in the first year and $5 million if he leaves in the second year. He isn’t going anywhere.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Look, I have no problem with Dan taking his dream job. He's happy. Hopefully, his wife and kids are happy with the decision too.....Two weeks ago, he said it's not about winning championships. Yesterday, he said he left URI to go to UConn to have a chance to go to Final Fours and win championships. Can that be interpreted different ways also?
Many are forgetting the context of this quote and the question he answered with it. He was asked about the mess around college basketball and how some coaches have chosen to win at all costs, both on the court and with their bank accounts, to the determent of their players and employers.

It's not JUST about winning championships and making as much money along the way. Obviously as a coach winning championships is very important.

Dan Hurley believes you can do both without laying waste to all things behind you -- programs, fans, your players -- like some other coaches have done. I think he feels a coach's job is to be a teacher, mentor, possibly even father figure to the young men first, and together they go and win championships.

That's exactly what he did at Rhode Island. Players LOVE him. He LOVES them. They won together. These are facts.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The comments and actions from Dan don’t sit well with me:
1) UCONN was his dream job. There were 2-3 jobs in the country he would leave URI for
2) He had a list of these 2-3 jobs
3) Dan said on Monday night he was deciding between UCONN and Pitt but then Thorr came with an unbelievable offer
4) How could he interview for TWO jobs on the 2nd day after coaching URI vs Duke if there were only 2-3 jobs IN THE COUNTRY that he would leave for?
5) It’s not about the money.

What a coindence that Dan had 2-3 schools on a list and two of them interviewed him within 48 hours and had him as their lead candidate! Please we aren’t stupid.

He was negotiating with UCONN and Pitt and got UCONN to increase their offer. $$$$$. He has the potential for $1 million in bonus per year and bonuses to increase his contract for up to 5 years. He has so many dufferent bonuses including many that he has promised UCONN in his speech. I think he has a bonus for making the NIT :D

Dan and his agent came up with talking points.
UCONN was his dream job
There were only 2-3 jobs in the country Dan would leave for.

He is a public relations machine.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Let me help:

1) UCONN was his dream job. There were 2-3 jobs in the country he would leave URI for.
TRUE. 3 Jobs, and the other two have more national championships than UConn.

TRUE, those closest to Dan were aware of the 3 jobs, UConn being one.

3) Dan said on Monday night he was deciding between UCONN and Pitt but then Thorr came with an unbelievable offer
Interviewed with each school. URI's offer was more than all of us would have imagined they could do. What looked like an easier choice (UConn) was now a difficult one.

4) How could he interview for TWO jobs on the 2nd day after coaching URI vs Duke if there were only 2-3 jobs IN THE COUNTRY that he would leave for?
UConn was one of 3 jobs on his list and it was available and they needed to move quickly. The other two jobs are not in any risk of losing their head coaches. We know his agent always makes him listen to big offers to set market value. Pitt was not being seriously considered -- UConn was. (it was on the his list).

It isn't, but money comes with this class of destination job. How many times does Dan need to turn down easy quick big money for us to understand it's not even close to the primary driver in his decision making?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATP, we found out today that Ace is not related to Dan. Are you?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

You got me! He's my 4th cousin! Weak reply, Billyboy.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:You got me! He's my 4th cousin! Weak reply, Billyboy.
According to you, every single one of my posts are weak.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I can't remember all your 9178 posts, but the ones on this page of KeaneyBlue were.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Let me help:

1) UCONN was his dream job. There were 2-3 jobs in the country he would leave URI for.

Interviewed with each school. URI's offer was more than all of us would have imagined they could do. What looked like an easier choice (UConn) was now a difficult one.

UConn was one of 3 jobs on his list and it was available and they needed to move quickly. The other two jobs are not in any risk of losing their head coaches. We know his agent always makes him listen to big offers to set market value. Pitt was not being seriously considered -- UConn was. (it was on the his list).

It isn't, but money comes with this class of destination job. How many times does Dan need to turn down easy quick big money for us to understand it's not even close to the primary driver in his decision making?
ATP,
All of what you are saying makes sense.
The dream job makes sense, especially if UCONN was always on this list of 2-3 top destinations
This is a tough time for many of us. I was Hurley's Top defender in Jim Baron 2.0 along with BlueMan, often called out for Pom Pom waving, Lool Aid Drinking, even rumored as Jeff Dowtin's uncle once for saying too many good things about him very early on :-)

And just as I try not to comment on game threads because sometimes stupid things can come out in the heat of moments this is also a time I struggle because of the emotion of this departure. Kind of like a divorce or breakup, just feel deserted or abandoned

But there are obvious contradictions that even BlueMan, a very very ardent Hurely supporter, and BAR, also an ardent Hurley supporter have surfaced.
Hurley said in the past he would never opt for a rebuild again - if UCONN isn't a rebuild I do not know what is.

Is there anything in what Hurley has said or anything in this move to UCONN that bothers you at all? You seem to be defensive regarding anyone's comments that might be in the least bit negative towards Hurley. Does any of it seem to contradict your previous beliefs in the man?

I think for me, time will heal all or most wounds of this move, but I'm kind of hurt right now. For me I would have thought he would go to a solid P5 school and that he was better than UCONN. I was surprised that a school so close to URI and in the AAC would be his choice.

And do you think Cox gets the job?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Let me help:

ATP,
All of what you are saying makes sense.
The dream job makes sense, especially if UCONN was always on this list of 2-3 top destinations
This is a tough time for many of us. I was Hurley's Top defender in Jim Baron 2.0 along with BlueMan, often called out for Pom Pom waving, Lool Aid Drinking, even rumored as Jeff Dowtin's uncle once for saying too many good things about him very early on :-)

And just as I try not to comment on game threads because sometimes stupid things can come out in the heat of moments this is also a time I struggle because of the emotion of this departure. Kind of like a divorce or breakup, just feel deserted or abandoned

But there are obvious contradictions that even BlueMan, a very very ardent Hurely supporter, and BAR, also an ardent Hurley supporter have surfaced.
Hurley said in the past he would never opt for a rebuild again - if UCONN isn't a rebuild I do not know what is.

Is there anything in what Hurley has said or anything in this move to UCONN that bothers you at all? You seem to be defensive regarding anyone's comments that might be in the least bit negative towards Hurley. Does any of it seem to contradict your previous beliefs in the man?

I think for me, time will heal all or most wounds of this move, but I'm kind of hurt right now. For me I would have thought he would go to a solid P5 school and that he was better than UCONN. I was surprised that a school so close to URI and in the AAC would be his choice.

And do you think Cox gets the job?
Ramster,
We've been team hurley from the jump. I honestly got close enough to the guy to feel like I knew him, which makes this hurt more I guess. What I didn't know was the UConn/dream job scenario.

UConn isn't too much of a rebuild...certainly not like it was here. With the facilities and endless support he'll have, they will be back up and running within 2 years. He will be hitting the recruiting jail on private, chartered flights with an NBA player in tow - going after top 25 guys. He will be bringing them to a spectacular $40 million dollar practice facility. He's a great personality, he really is different than others - which is why people gravitate towards him (you, me, players, etc).

UConn has been down for all of 2 years, not a decade plus like with us. No APR issues. No bare cupboard. UConn was a middle-of-the-pack AAC program, not a door mat at the bottom. As much as we are in a better position than them to win now, they will be back quickly.

I am 100% with you that time will heal all, especially when we're dancing again and going further in the tournament than Dan took us within 2-3 years. For that, I'll look back extremely fondly on Dan's time here because Dave is going to build a sky scraper with the foundation Dan built.

Plus, Dan not taking any staff or players beyond Moore, Eric, and videoguy shows that he legitimately did care about this program enough to leave it in great hands with a ready to win team in place.

I'm also with you that I'm hurt right now because damn, if Dan spurned UConn for us in a very public coaching search - it would have announced that URI was a national player in a big way.

But yes, I think Dave Cox gets the job.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramster, Blue Man ninja'd some of my replies. I had no idea UConn was one of 3 destinations. My personal opinion of UConn certainly lowered the perception of that job opportunity especially before knowing it happened to be so revered by Dan for a long time.

I think we have 6 years of character evidence piled up for Dan Hurley. I've tried to counter some of the hot takes that have been dropped here and review the things Dan very clearly said and very clearly delivered.

Knowing what I've come to learn, I am at peace with this and look at Hurley's time here very fondly and see the clear runway for the next coach, which I believe could very well be Dave Cox. It's great to be able to trust in Thorr and Dooley to make a great hire as they did with Dan 6 years ago. Such a relief!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATP,
Thank you
Very logical, well stated points
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

ATPTourFan wrote: That's exactly what he did at Rhode Island. Players LOVE him. He LOVES them. They won together. These are facts.
So I guess he only loved his seniors? Because he's leaving Jeff, Cyril and Fatts behind. Looks like he loves the idea of UConn more than his self-proclaimed "family".
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Nope. Not how it works.
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

He chose to leave them... when he had ample reason not to...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Only thing, URI'21, is that a HC will always be leaving players behind if he every leaves for another job
I think in this case he had his 5 Seniors (including his program building Medical Redshirt EC Mathews) to see through to graduation
I kind of thought if he was going to leave in the next 5 years or so this year would be especially vulnerable - and it was