Week #17 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
urirx
ARD

Re: Week #17 - Games of Interest

Unread post by urirx »

Interesting article from the AP about the Zags jumping conferences
https://collegebasketball.ap.org/articl ... oin-league

know it is not exactly a game but it is for sure of interest.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:If the Bonnies win the A10 tourney they will get a better seed than we will. Book it.

Their numbers are just about as good as ours now.
So we're going to get boned because of kenpom but St. Bonaventure will end up ahead of us even though their kenpom is about 20 spots worse than us?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Thursday night action in the A-10:

Only one regular season game involving URI OOC opponents, all other games in tournament thread:

#1 Virginia at at Louisville. 8 PM. On ACCNE.

In Top 25 action:

Iowa vs. #15 Michigan. 2:25PM. On BTN.

#11 Wichita State at UCF. 7 PM. On ESPN.

Western Kentucky at #24 Middle Tennessee. 8 PM. On CBSSN.

#10 Cincinnati at Tulane. 9 PM. On ESPN.

Stanford at #19 Arizona. 10 PM. On FS1.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I have to be honest. I'm only interested in one college basketball game this week - our game on Friday at Davidson. I cannot bring myself to care about any of these other games right now.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

So sorry, TP, to interrupt your day. I will try to be a better poster. The last thing I want to be considered is a "fool".
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Obadiah wrote:So sorry, TP, to interrupt your day. I will try to be a better poster. The last thing I want to be considered is a "fool".
then stop acting like a child
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:So sorry, TP, to interrupt your day. I will try to be a better poster. The last thing I want to be considered is a "fool".
What are we talking about here? I feel like I must have missed something.

ETA - my guess here is you took my comment as some sort of a complaint about this thread? Totally not what I was going for, Obie. This is one of my favorite and most appreciated (and most participated in) threads on the board, week to week, year in and year out. I was only making a comment about my current mood and mental state. I feel like for me, personally, as a URI fan the game on Tuesday really messed with my ability to care about the rest of the college basketball world. I need a win Friday to get back into my normal mindset. That's all I was saying, sorry for the confusion. Wasn't trying to offend anyone.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

TruePoint wrote:

ETA - my guess here is you took my comment as some sort of a complaint about this thread? Totally not what I was going for, Obie. This is one of my favorite and most appreciated (and most participated in) threads on the board, week to week, year in and year out. I was only making a comment about my current mood and mental state. I feel like for me, personally, as a URI fan the game on Tuesday really messed with my ability to care about the rest of the college basketball world. I need a win Friday to get back into my normal mindset. That's all I was saying, sorry for the confusion. Wasn't trying to offend anyone.

I'm with you here TP. The thread is great, but for the first time all year, I've had little or no interest in other games. Tuesday night took the wind out of my sails. Thankfully, I don't need to refocus as I'm not likely to score any more points on Friday than I did Tuesday anyway. :? (And I didn't think you meant any disrespect to Obadiah...nor do I)
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Thanks for the umpteeeenth time for this Obadiah

My go to spot for all things relevant D1 hoops!

Appreciated, highlight of the forums!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

I'm with you here TP. The thread is great, but for the first time all year, I've had little or no interest in other games. Tuesday night took the wind out of my sails. Thankfully, I don't need to refocus as I'm not likely to score any more points on Friday than I did Tuesday anyway. :? (And I didn't think you meant any disrespect to Obadiah...nor do I)
Same feeling - also for the first time this year...when you're solidly in a good spot, with no real threat to be downgraded, it's all about watching all of the other ranked teams to see who we can maybe pass. Losing early in the week, knowing you're likely to be dropped, and that that shoe isn't going to drop until next week, makes it a little harder to get geared up for other games ahead of time. But, when the time comes that they are actually on ....well, there are worse ways to spend an evening than getting another look at Louisville...and a first look at Middle Tenn St...ASU at 9 for a couple hundred Walton "conference of champions' references...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm still into the other games....now if we lay another egg tomorrow night, that could change....

I don't expect we will though....we could lose, but the effort will be there and hopefully the shots are falling....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Alabama also shit the bed at home the other night...they might not be a lock if they don't win another game.....

And Oklahoma....wtf? How are they still in....yeah they have 6 Q1 wins....and a whole pile of losses recently.

Yeah yeah yeah....the media's love affair with Trae Young....the college version of LeBron...I want to see us as a 7 seed play them as a 10....or a 6 and 11.....
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Cal and ASU starting now on ESPNU
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

UNC Asheville wins and advances against Charleston Southern. They were only favored by 3.5 - Charleston Southern had been playing well. Last week they beat Winthrop at Winthrop to give UNCA the outright regular season Big South title.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote:Alabama also shit the bed at home the other night...they might not be a lock if they don't win another game.....

And Oklahoma....wtf? How are they still in....yeah they have 6 Q1 wins....and a whole pile of losses recently.

Yeah yeah yeah....the media's love affair with Trae Young....the college version of LeBron...I want to see us as a 7 seed play them as a 10....or a 6 and 11.....
Hell yes!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Incredible finish to Lville / UVA

Lville with the ball at UVA end after a lane violation with 0.9 left up 2.
Timeout...
Lville guy on the baseline thinks he can run the baseline...gets called for it...
UVA inbounds and dude banks in a 3 at the buzzer for the W....
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

5 seconds after the ref told the Louisville player he could not run the baseline he did and the turnover gave Virginia the ball with .9 seconds left for the winning prayer. All he had to do was get the ball inbounds and the game is over. Damaging loss to their NCAA bid chances.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote:5 seconds after the ref told the Louisville player he could not run the baseline he did and the turnover gave Virginia the ball with .9 seconds left for the winning prayer. All he had to do was get the ball inbounds and the game is over. Damaging loss to their NCAA bid chances.
Yep, he didn't even have to really get it in...throw it deep and let someone tip it...disaster for the Cards.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow that's some big news if Gonzaga goes to the Mountain West conference
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The only A-10 action on Friday is URI at Davidson. 8 PM. On CBSSN.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Princeton at Brown. 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Liberty at UNC Asheville. 8 PM. On ESPN3.
Big South Semifinal.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

urirx wrote:Interesting article from the AP about the Zags jumping conferences
https://collegebasketball.ap.org/articl ... oin-league

know it is not exactly a game but it is for sure of interest.
Man, I want the A10 to grab a team like that. Wanted Wich St to join us before the AAC took them.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For what it's worth for the final time this season.

Saturday action in the A-10:

VCU at Fordham. 2 PM.

La Salle at Saint Joseph's. 2 PM.

GW at Dayton. 3 PM. On NBCSN.

Duquesne at UMass. 8 PM.

St. Bonaventure at Saint Louis. 8 PM.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Liberty Falwell Flames knocked out UNC-Asheville from their tourney 69-64 last night. UNCA will head to the NIT as its league regular season champ via an auto-bid.

Brown loses at home to Princeton on Friday 78-63. It was the fifth straight loss for the Bears as they fall to 10-15 overall (RPI# 293) and 4-9 in the Ivy. By failing to make the top 4 seeds for their league tournament, they will end their season today with a very tough match up versus Penn at home. Brown will end up being URI's worst OOC opponent for the year. They along with Holy Cross at 12-18 RPI# 263 will be the only URI non conference opponents with losing records for the year.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seems like we won't be alone in falling out of the Top 25. Kentucky getting jobbed at Florida right now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PC wins. Lock for the tourney now. Hope everyone who has been rooting for them all year are happy. 5 years in a row. Still the kings of the state.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep our Keaney Blue Friartown trolls can crack open a cold one!

Woo hoo
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Looks like WV and Huggins are joining us in the fall from the Top 25.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well if PC loses in the first game of BE tournament then they are not a lock
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Alabama falls at Texas A&M, 68-66. This marks the fifth consecutive loss for the Crimson Tide and leaves their SEC mark at below .500. Alabama sits squarely on the bubble prior to the upcoming SEC tourney.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would say Bama be out as of this moment tough to lose 5 straight at this time of year
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hey who do we pull for St Bona at STL ????
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Justin Simon almost with a rare triple double versus PC. 9 assists, 13 points and 10 turnovers :oops: :oops: 10 Turnovers from ONE Player :roll:

Arizona State now (8-10) in Conference has 4 losses in last 5 games after losing to Stanford today. Once ranked as high as #3, ASU now is in a must win situation versus Colorado in first game of conference Tournament.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Right finishing 8-10 in a conference that's really not that good
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pepperdine 6-25 giving St Marys all they can handle leading 48-43 with 11 minutes left
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

#21 Nevada loses at San Diego State, 79-74. Nevada won the MW regular season title by a two game margin over Boise State. The Wolfpack resume is good enough to get a bid to the NCAAT without having to win the MV tourney. Last season Nevada won both the regular season and the tourney, but the MW got only one bid.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:The Liberty Falwell Flames knocked out UNC-Asheville from their tourney 69-64 last night. UNCA will head to the NIT as its league regular season champ via an auto-bid.

Brown loses at home to Princeton on Friday 78-63. It was the fifth straight loss for the Bears as they fall to 10-15 overall (RPI# 293) and 4-9 in the Ivy. By failing to make the top 4 seeds for their league tournament, they will end their season today with a very tough match up versus Penn at home. Brown will end up being URI's worst OOC opponent for the year. They along with Holy Cross at 12-18 RPI# 263 will be the only URI non conference opponents with losing records for the year.
Liberty handed UNCA two losses on their home floor this year - once during the regular season and again in the conference tournament. This was after UNCA blew Liberty out at Liberty in January. The two Liberty victories were two of the weirdest games of the year.

In the first game, UNCA's first home loss in 22 games, UNCA came from way behind to tie and send the game to OT, only to get outscored 13-0 in the extra period. In the second game, UNCA led by 15 in the second half, but only scored 2 points from the 8 minute mark until the game's closing seconds. Liberty went on a 17-2 run during that time, coming back to steal the game. If UNCA fans are anything like us, they are beside themselves with misery this morning.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

reef wrote:Well if PC loses in the first game of BE tournament then they are not a lock
I agree with you they may sneak in depending on how many bid stealers there are but they would be wise to win Thursday if they want to avoid a lot of anxiety Sunday.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brown lost Saturday at home to Penn 99-93. The Bears end their season at 10-16 versus D1 teams.

The Holy Cross season ended today in the Patriot League Tournament with a loss at Colgate 62-55. The Crusaders finish the year 12-19.

Charleston wins its first CAA Tournament game beating Drexel 66-59 today. They will advance to the next round of the tourney which is being played in its backyard (N Charleston). The Cougars are now 24-7.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

FGCU resembling our performance against st Joe's in their championship game at home.

Down 59-28 with just a few seconds left before halftime.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:FGCU resembling our performance against st Joe's in their championship game at home.

Down 59-28 with just a few seconds left before halftime.
Less resemblance now...they're back within 16....13
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

this FGCU thing is pretty remarkable...from 32 down to 8....crazy
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

FCGU loses the tournament championship to Liscomb 108-96. They will join UNC-Asheville in the NIT with both getting automatic bids as conference regular season champions that failed to win their tournament and NCAA bid.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iona advances to the MAAC Championship game beating St Peters 65-62. They will next face Fairfield with the winner getting an NCAA bid.
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

This are the teams we need to monitor, moving to a 6/7 seed will make a difference after we win three more. ESPN had an interesting article on how 6/7 seeds fait and how an eight seed is so much harder:

Nevada
MW
26-6

Kentucky
SEC
21-10

Penn State
Big Ten
21-13

Virginia Tech
ACC
21-10

Seton Hall
Big East
21-10

Notre Dame
ACC
18-13

Rhode Island
A 10
23-6

Miami
ACC
22-8

Louisville
ACC
19-12

Baylor
Big 12
18-13
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bwerner10 wrote:This are the teams we need to monitor, moving to a 6/7 seed will make a difference after we win three more. ESPN had an interesting article on how 6/7 seeds fait and how an eight seed is so much harder:

Nevada
MW
26-6

Kentucky
SEC
21-10

Penn State
Big Ten
21-13

Virginia Tech
ACC
21-10

Seton Hall
Big East
21-10

Notre Dame
ACC
18-13

Rhode Island
A 10
23-6

Miami
ACC
22-8

Louisville
ACC
19-12

Baylor
Big 12
18-13
Struggling to figure out this list ... 3-4 teams above aren’t even in the tournament if it started today.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Charleston beats William & Mary 83-73 to advance to the CAA Final tomorrow night in N Charleston.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iona, after a somewhat disappointing league season comes through during the MAAC Tournament beating Fairfield 83-71. Now going to the NCAA.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Marys loses to BYU so they could be in trouble now ???
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
bwerner10 wrote:This are the teams we need to monitor, moving to a 6/7 seed will make a difference after we win three more. ESPN had an interesting article on how 6/7 seeds fait and how an eight seed is so much harder:

Nevada
MW
26-6

Kentucky
SEC
21-10

Penn State
Big Ten
21-13

Virginia Tech
ACC
21-10

Seton Hall
Big East
21-10

Notre Dame
ACC
18-13

Rhode Island
A 10
23-6

Miami
ACC
22-8

Louisville
ACC
19-12

Baylor
Big 12
18-13
Struggling to figure out this list ... 3-4 teams above aren’t even in the tournament if it started today.
Yeah agreed, as of today Penn State, Notre Dame, and Baylor are likely out. Depending on how the conf tourneys play out for ND and Baylor, if they make runs that could change but currently out. Penn State is def out
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think Notre Dame gets the benefit of the doubt because of the Bonzie Colson injury, and him now being back.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines