Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

sf2010 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Its like there is this back and forth about Four. For one game he is great. Then 3 games he is a liability and does nothing. We Thompson people pipe up and then Four dazzles. Boom Four people come back.

Start Thompson. Four sucks. He makes open shots sometimes. He makes contested shots less times. Thompson is good at drawing fouls. DH allows CT to do that and CT will do exactly that.

Plus continue to turn into that great defender.
2) Four often struggles when teams put a long, athletic defender on him. But you know what happens when that guy is defending Four? He's NOT defending someone else. CT has proven to be an excellent shooter at this stage in his career, but he does not command the attention of the defense the way that Four does.

3) Thompson is "good at drawing fouls?" He has attempted 18 FTs in 280 minutes (one FT per 15.5 minutes of court time). Four has attempted 65 in 509 minutes (one per 7.8 minutes). Even allowing for garbage time FTs from Four, he still draws fouls at a significantly higher rate. Not that I think this is even a big reason for why Four should continue to get heavy minutes, I think it is pretty negligible, just calling out a statement that was not factual.
Stats aren't indicative of Thomspon's ability to draw fouls, which I have seen with my eyes when he goes to the basket. He has shown that he is savvy and big enough to draw the contact and put up a shot. That is hard to do. Many people don't make it to the point that they have the defender in the position that the defender can only foul. Don't understand that? I don't care. Four does not have this ability.

Four also shoots end of the game free throws. Sure that inflates his stats. Thompson's role has been evolving all season so stats are deceiving for what his ability is or could be.

Four draws the best defender so he should just be hanging out there? Theres more to a game than just drawing a defender to stand next to Four at the 3 point line. If you don't see that Thompson rebounds and gets turnovers or that he makes these plays when the team has needed them then?

The game isn't played in a vacuum. Or on a stat sheet. Four obviously should play because he is good, but I think Thompson is a better option right now. Even if Thompson isn't the better basketball player today, he might be next week so throw him out there.

Foul trouble? Four had 4 fouls against Joes? That is foul trouble. Thompson draws tougher defensive assignment and is still getting better.

Kid is a freshman. They get better. Four is what he is at this point in his career. Not to say he shouldn't play significant minutes still.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: Stats aren't indicative of Thomspon's ability to draw fouls, which I have seen with my eyes when he goes to the basket. He has shown that he is savvy and big enough to draw the contact and put up a shot. That is hard to do. Many people don't make it to the point that they have the defender in the position that the defender can only foul. Don't understand that? I don't care. Four does not have this ability. I've watched all of our games this year. How many times has CT "gone to the basket" per game? Once? Twice? I'm really not trying to be anti-CT here as much as I am pro-Four because I really appreciate how CT has improved and what he can accomplish in the future, but you're just saying shit that is untrue. CT is a very good shooter. He is an improving defender. He is not yet a skilled "slasher" who excels going to the basket and drawing fouls.

Four also shoots end of the game free throws. Sure that inflates his stats. Thompson's role has been evolving all season so stats are deceiving for what his ability is or could be.

Four draws the best defender so he should just be hanging out there? Theres more to a game than just drawing a defender to stand next to Four at the 3 point line. If you don't see that Thompson rebounds and gets turnovers or that he makes these plays when the team has needed them then? Sure, there's more to the game than being able to draw the best defender on the other team. But to borrow your line - "if you don't see" how that opens things up for Jarvis/Jared/Kuran to go to the basket, then I don't know what to tell you. CT rebounds better, of late he has defended better. I just don't agree with the sentiment that CT makes all these tremendous plays when the game is on the line and Four has been a bum. We won the Brown game because of Four. Granted, not the best opponent, but if people are pissed now and acting negative, then imagine how truly our season would have been blown to shit had we lost that game. Four single-handedly won that game for us.

The game isn't played in a vacuum. Or on a stat sheet. Agree. Stats can help inform, but they all need context.Four obviously should play because he is good, but I think Thompson is a better option right now.I happen to disagree Even if Thompson isn't the better basketball player today, he might be next week so throw him out there.

Foul trouble? Four had 4 fouls against Joes? That is foul trouble. Thompson draws tougher defensive assignment and is still getting better. Sorry to throw stats at you again, but CT has committed two more fouls than Four in 209 fewer minutes. Now, picking up fouls doesn't mean that one is playing bad defense, far from it (I remember Jimmy Baron had a great "skill" for not fouling, but no one would ever confuse him with a good defender). I don't think "foul trouble" is one of the reasons why Four should start over CT, but again you say something that is just untrue.

Kid is a freshman. They get better. Four is what he is at this point in his career. This is where the crux of my argument lies, I guess. Yes, CT is a freshman whose ceiling is higher for the future because he will be here and Four won't. Four being "what he is" is a better player than CT right now. I have not given up on the season and believe that DH should play his best players for the most minutes. Win today's game. Worry about next year next year.Not to say he shouldn't play significant minutes still.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Its like there is this back and forth about Four. For one game he is great. Then 3 games he is a liability and does nothing. We Thompson people pipe up and then Four dazzles. Boom Four people come back.

Start Thompson. Four sucks. He makes open shots sometimes. He makes contested shots less times. Thompson is good at drawing fouls. DH allows CT to do that and CT will do exactly that.

Plus continue to turn into that great defender.
2) Four often struggles when teams put a long, athletic defender on him. But you know what happens when that guy is defending Four? He's NOT defending someone else. CT has proven to be an excellent shooter at this stage in his career, but he does not command the attention of the defense the way that Four does.

3) Thompson is "good at drawing fouls?" He has attempted 18 FTs in 280 minutes (one FT per 15.5 minutes of court time). Four has attempted 65 in 509 minutes (one per 7.8 minutes). Even allowing for garbage time FTs from Four, he still draws fouls at a significantly higher rate. Not that I think this is even a big reason for why Four should continue to get heavy minutes, I think it is pretty negligible, just calling out a statement that was not factual.
Stats aren't indicative of Thomspon's ability to draw fouls, which I have seen with my eyes when he goes to the basket. He has shown that he is savvy and big enough to draw the contact and put up a shot. That is hard to do. Many people don't make it to the point that they have the defender in the position that the defender can only foul. Don't understand that? I don't care. Four does not have this ability.

Four draws the best defender so he should just be hanging out there? Theres more to a game than just drawing a defender to stand next to Four at the 3 point line. If you don't see that Thompson rebounds and gets turnovers or that he makes these plays when the team has needed them then?

The game isn't played in a vacuum. Or on a stat sheet. Four obviously should play because he is good, but I think Thompson is a better option right now. Even if Thompson isn't the better basketball player today, he might be next week so throw him out there.

Foul trouble? Four had 4 fouls against Joes? That is foul trouble. Thompson draws tougher defensive assignment and is still getting better.

Kid is a freshman. They get better. Four is what he is at this point in his career. Not to say he shouldn't play significant minutes still.
Here is from one poster on the Bonnies Message Board:

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:40pmMM77 likes this.
Post by elitetaylor33 on Jan 10, 2016 at 7:40pm
Jan 10, 2016 at 7:21pmohs73 said:
Four McGlynn sure gets around. Began at Vermont, transferred to Towson, now at URI. He's extremely streaky, scored 33 in a recent Rams win. But he will throw up his share of bricks when guarded tough. And Bona has the guards who can take him out.
Exactly! He'll chuck it up from anywhere, at any point, contested or uncontested! So he'll get hot in some stretches, but when he's off, its basically Garrett driving to the hoop, mostly out of control (recently he's been better), but lately Thompson and Akele have stepped up.. Im not really worried about Mcglynn as much as Martin down low creating havoc, and someone that we wouldnt expect, like the two freshman i mentioned, hitting some key shots. But like i said, their not a good road team, they get in big ruts, and we just have to capitalize on it, when they do so..

Agree with you SPG,
I remember not long ago saying Thompson was horrible on defense. Thankfully that perception has not been brought up anymore. DH said after a game that Thompson led the defensive effort among the guards.
It's different to watch games on TV or monitor stats by the internet. Being at the game allows you to watch the play off the ball and it reveals things TV cannot.
No doubt Four was incredible at the Brown game. He had a confidence about him that is fun to watch when a great shooter is in this kind of zone. It was like anything and everything he threw up was going to go in, did not matter if he was faling out of bounds, getting fouled while shooting or whatever - the ball was going in. Sold out Crowd of 2800, at least 50% URI Fans, very loud for URI making the most noise of any URI Game I have attended (includes all home games). UIR has 90% of the noise in that game. The stars were aligned and Four was the man. But you have to look at the entire schedule.
Agree that saying Four has spread the floor and the opponents best player guards him is not a good reason to play him over Thompson. Bembry guarded Four, granted, and took him completely out of the game, but DH had Thompson guard Bembry. The same Thompson who some posters earlier this year said was bad defensively. I don't see any better spacing with Four than I do with THompson on the court. Thompson is a threat to shoot the 3, threat to pass, threat to drive and score, threat to drive and dish off as we saw with 2 Martin dunks with passes from Thompson.

Tonight we go against Adams and Posey. I would start Garrett and Thompson. I don't expect it to happen. DH is not a changer of the starting line up. But once he does insert Thompson then expect it to stay that way. Four could have a great game tonight but I doubt it changes my opinion.

I's surprised so many prefer to stick with Four. I would love Four off the bench, no problem with that, but not as a starter for a team trying for a Top 3 spot in the conference.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm with you on this one, ramster.

I do think CT will play a lot anyway, though.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm with you on this one, ramster.

I do think CT will play a lot anyway, though.
He will play a lot, I agree, but it is critical to get off to good starts. That is why bringing Four off the bench (which was the original plan anyway before EC injury) would allow DH to better pick his spots to insert Four.
Thompson has proven himself capable of a starting role.
I know people will say it doesn't matter who starts but who finishes and cliches like that but it is important who starts. I never wanted to come off the bench, nobody does, everybody wants to start, including Four.
But the time has come.
Surprised those who seem most upset with the way the season has gone are also the most conservative with possible line up changes quite honestly.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Will this game be streaming anywhere?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

BornNBred33 wrote:Will this game be streaming anywhere?
http://www.atlantic10.com/liveEvents/li ... M_ID=31600
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hurleybirdspecial
Jim Eitner

Unread post by hurleybirdspecial »

How's the quality of the A-10 network live stream? Chromecast compatible?
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

BornNBred33 wrote:Will this game be streaming anywhere?

If you got to gorhody.com it has a link to the Bonnies streaming. Starts at 6:45
It also shows it being televised on OSN.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

For some reason I assumed this would be streamed on the Cox package. Guess I'll be paying the $7 to watch it on A10. Oh well.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I have a good feeling about this game.

By the way, on Sunday I came to the realization. If I ever drop dead watching a sporting event, it is most likely to be a URI basketball game...
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

adam914 wrote:For some reason I assumed this would be streamed on the Cox package. Guess I'll be paying the $7 to watch it on A10. Oh well.
I believe Cox only streams their games. When I followed the link on gorhody.com to the Bonnie sight, it didn't mention a fee. As a disclaimer, I didn't spend much time at the sight.

Apparently after rechecking, it is actually part of the A10 system. Sorry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I will refrain from calling this a "must" win tonight to avoid any controversy but I will say I really, really, really, really hope we win this game!!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

SF2010 My thing with the stats is that CT isn't the player today that he was in December or November. To me Four is more of a static character that you can grab his first 15 games and compare his stats to people. That is completely fair to Four.

I don't think it is fair to compare any of CT's stats right now. What will be fair to CT will be at the end of the season and identifying a game where CT's stats hit a mark and consistently hit around there for the rest of the season. On this board EC had this benefit over a year ago where people pointed out his scoring average and stat line from whatever point to the end of the season.

Being that I don't think CT's stats are anything to analyze at this point(although they are rising), I look for skills with my eyes when watching CT. I remember maybe 3-5 drives where CT showed me he has the skill to get there and strong enough to get fouled. Yes, maybe less than 5 times this year I saw that, but its enough to want him to play more so that maybe he can do it again? On top of the other things I think he brings to the table.

I don't think CT is making plays down the stretch. Im talking 11:42 left in the first half and our whole team looks like zombies, but then CT grabs an offensive rebound or some type of play that takes hustle, skill, talent, basketball IQ. Yeah, I have seen that.

Just that steal he almost had from Bembry with less than 10 left in the game and Bembry threw the ball up the sideline. CT almost picked that off if he didn't go out of bounds. You don't really coach that. You have it or don't. Then there are people that watch those that have it or don't and that is Four. He's not close to the all around basketball player CT will be in 18 months.

Brown? Beating Brown? I played with the team in a team organized pick up when they had the kid at Pitt and the Koukamensah kid was there. They weren't remotely special. Like I suck and I kept up just fine. Beating Brown Four gets Kudos and respect but its not a trump card.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What is OSN?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:For some reason I assumed this would be streamed on the Cox package. Guess I'll be paying the $7 to watch it on A10. Oh well.
What games stream on Cox? So far I have watched one game on Cox after paying for a season pass. Maybe I went to some of the same games that are streaming but I feel a little ripped off.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I believe they only stream the games they produce. As a season ticket holder, I'm usually at the game.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:What is OSN?
Channel 5 (1005 for HD) on Cox in WK
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

TruePoint wrote:
What games stream on Cox? So far I have watched one game on Cox after paying for a season pass. Maybe I went to some of the same games that are streaming but I feel a little ripped off.
http://www.coxhub.com/coxhublive
There is the list.
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
Yeah its definitely way less then in years past. Which in a way is a good thing because we are on national tv much more, but so far its just been the home games that have not been on national tv I believe.

I thought since this one was on Cox they would stream it, but I guess if they arent producing it then they probably dont have the streaming rights.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

We'll win tonight...

Not a doubt in my mind

GO RHODY
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I think it might be free on A10 network, because the premium column is not checked.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Running Ram wrote:I think it might be free on A10 network, because the premium column is not checked.
You're right, its not. I totally was looking at the women's game above it. I just saw "Rhode Island" and stopped reading.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Free stream is up and running.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Time warner cable NY broadcast, get ready for homer ville!!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

its saying its not available in my geographic area - WTF is that! I am in Chicago, any advice?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:We'll win tonight...

Not a doubt in my mind

GO RHODY
GO RHODY!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:its saying its not available in my geographic area - WTF is that! I am in Chicago, any advice?
Send blood? Offense is anemic thus far...down 7-0 5 minutes in....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No points in first 5 minutes. Time for some substitutions fast.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

bigappleram wrote:its saying its not available in my geographic area - WTF is that! I am in Chicago, any advice?
You need a VPN account, something like StrongVPN, and connect to one of their servers in another part of the country. This will give the appearance that you are connecting from another location which may not be blacked out
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This is pathetic.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

1st points...almost 6 mins in....yikes
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Another strong start.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sub but I was not thinking Watson for Iverson �
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I would say thanks Roady Jay but have no idea how to do any of that? lol
I'm on a MAC if that matters. I can watch every other A10 game on that site except the one i want
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ouch. Martin playing well.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

lol...Bonnies travel...announcer sounded like he was going to cry....
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

bigappleram wrote:I would say thanks Roady Jay but have no idea how to do any of that? lol
I'm on a MAC if that matters. I can watch every other A10 game on that site except the one i want
Go to strongvpn.com. Download the software. Choose the package you want. Its pretty easy to install and use. You do have to pay.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I'm getting really tired of watching Four brick three after three in more games than not. These are decent looks he's getting tonight too.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Four is ICE COLD
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Four already 0-5 on 3 pointers, Thompson just got a long 3.

Most games Four starts being off he stays off. Hopefully tonight's different
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

yep, brick city for 4...and these aren't just good looks...better than he's had in a while
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

88, I am AOK on score tonite....thx.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Good crowd on a Saturday night?
Wtf?!?
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

rhodyrudder wrote:Good crowd on a Saturday night?
Wtf?!?

right, not even close. With that they being put on mute
Clapton is God
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Every nite is sat nite in Olean....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I would love to see a play or two run for Garrett once in a while. Dude has been red hot from three the last 4 games, take advantage!

And no more running floaters Four, you haven't hit one all year!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:Every nite is sat nite in Olean....
Especially when the 'powder blue' unis are in town!