Game #9: @ Providence College - InGame!!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #9: @ Providence College - InGame!!!

Unread post by TruePoint »

No way are we playing every year on Providence. Why not play every year in the Ryan? If they ever insisted on that, I'd go over the cliff and end the series.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I would put my feelings somewhere between Rod and 78 right now...

Definitely pissed that we lost, because I feel as though even when one of these teams have superior talent (which PC does this year, even with 7 players), this game always seems to be hard fought anyways. I'll never forget the game where Hazelton and Gomes were going back and forth in the '04-05 game that ended up in overtime, even though PC was vastly more talented that year.

Also hopeful for the future because, well, how can you not be?
Last edited by sf2010 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would love to be more optimistic about this season.

Reality says otherwise, however.

PC has more talent right now, even as shorthanded as they are.

We don't have any shooters. We don't have any rebounders.

If they don't play super aggressive defense all game, they aren't good enough to come back from the deficit caused by those lapses.

We still have Baron holdovers that go brain dead at the worst possible times. Hard for even Hurley to rid them of the bad habits completely.

This program now has the system in place to succeed. Just doesn't have enough players necessary to implement that system. Yet.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Screw Cooley for suggesting that. They couldn't even sell out the DDC. Thousands of empty seats with a crowd of just 9344. Very bush league for him to suggest that all games should be played on his team's home court. I had thought more of him.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

TP, the team with six player, including an injured one, sucked it up, and
kicked ass, when it counted.
We're supposed to be the gritty, tough team. Not tonight.
That description belonged to the opponents.
Red Auerbach used to say, you know who the men are in the
last quarter of the game.
Hare and Powell showed up. That's about it.
This game was not about the future. It was about now.
Oh, and it was Hazelton vs. Gomes that year.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed, RF1. Especially with such a poor attendance figure in their arena. They're in no position of strength. Have they read the news about their conference?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote:Screw Cooley for suggesting that. They couldn't even sell out the DDC. Thousands of empty seats with a crowd of just 9344. Very bush league for him to suggest that all games should be played on his team's home court. I had thought more of him.
It was a weird comment in the context of the press conference too. No idea why he said it. He also said something like, "Next year we have to go down to that, place, they call an arena." I'm not sure if he phrased it that way for effect though, or if he was just struggling for the proper word. (I'm processing and uploading the video now, but the Internet here at the Dunk is ridiculously bad, so it probably won't all be done until near 11.)
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'll just touch on some stuff written here.

For a long time I've felt that the PC/URI game should be played only at the Dunk. I know it's a widely unpopular thought, but here is why I feel that way: When PC plays at URI, because of the venue, its 90-10 in terms of fans. When URI plays at PC, its typically around 65-35 IMO. The Dunk holds roughly what, 5500 more? More tickets, more URI fans. I think the openness of the venue makes it better for what the series wants to do. URI fans hate this because they want their home game, and some PC fans hate it because they think it shows we are scared. I on the other hand, just think its smart, and more fair. But what are you going to do? PC definitely is in the strong position. They don't need URI. But they have played chicken before and they always lose, mainly because the state does not support breaking the series. Cooley doesn't want to piss anyone off and therefore its really a position he will never win.

Point two: I was away at college the past two years URI came to the Dunk? Why no cheerleaders or Pep Band anymore? That used to be a lot of fun to me. That, and where were the students? Outside of the group up in the corner behind the URI bench, there were some scattered but nothing collective.

Officiating: Overall, I thought it favored URI slightly. Ok, PC homer comments coming, but I thought officiating HEAVILY favored URI in the first half, and swung back PC's way a good clip in the second half. The refs let URI bash and bruise Cotton and Batts almost the entire first half, and since PC was trying to play passive to avoid stupid fouls, they were not benefitting from the open play the refs were allowing. So PC was getting manhandled on offense and I felt for the most part URI was getting mostly clean opportunities.

Jordan Hare: Kid has a ton of potential. I thought his offense tonight was vastly overrated (look, he sat around the rim and dunked the ball all night), but I think that speaks to how athletic he is and how much potential he has to be a great player. Kid can jump.

The beauty is that the rivalry can only get better from here. I don't think Ledo will be around next season, but add Dunn, Johnson, Austin, Harris, and Desroisiers to what we have and than you guys add your transfers/recruits to what you have, and those are two teams competing for postseason bid.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I don't know if I'd say we took giant steps backwards, but I'm pissed we lost as well. I hate losing to PeeCee!! And yeah coming into the game I thought we had a really good chance to win it, furthermore, I would have bet my truck it would have been a game decided by 8 points or less. Very poor night of shooting, I think 16 of the 18 three point attempts were good looks, but our shots were just off tonight. Hare had some real nice minutes on the bright side. He can really give other teams fits, he sure covers a lot of ground on defense and oh man are some of his dunks exciting.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Where did this nonsense come from?
Cooley must think he beat Indiana tonight
to be making such idiotic demands.
I'm surprised at Cooley for this kind of arrogance.
I'd tell him to go pound sand, and end the series, which
they'd probably like to do, anyway.
Hey PC guy, does UNC not play at Cameron, because the Dean Dome is
three times bigger?
We waited 33 years to have a home game. I don't give a fat rat's ass how long YOU thought
the series should be only at the Dump!
Cut the bullshit, and take hike!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I can add Cooley to my list now...what a turd!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I'll just touch on some stuff written here.

For a long time I've felt that the PC/URI game should be played only at the Dunk. I know it's a widely unpopular thought, but here is why I feel that way: When PC plays at URI, because of the venue, its 90-10 in terms of fans. When URI plays at PC, its typically around 65-35 IMO. The Dunk holds roughly what, 5500 more? More tickets, more URI fans. I think the openness of the venue makes it better for what the series wants to do. URI fans hate this because they want their home game, and some PC fans hate it because they think it shows we are scared. I on the other hand, just think its smart, and more fair. But what are you going to do? PC definitely is in the strong position. They don't need URI. But they have played chicken before and they always lose, mainly because the state does not support breaking the series. Cooley doesn't want to piss anyone off and therefore its really a position he will never win.
I call BULLSHIT. You could have had a huge homecourt advantage tonight if PC fans had decided to show up for your home game. Instead, you had thousands of empty seats.

Playing all the games on the home court of one team. Fair my ass.

PC in a strong position? What are you smoking? Your program is about to get a lot closer to URI with the watering down of the Big East and its possible demise. Welcome to the world outside a power conference.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The ironic thing about Cooley is he could very easily be coaching at URI had the job turned over more quickly. I'll just chalk it up to him being a fiery dude.

How many games are PC going to sell out in the new Big East? They need our game every other year. If they don't want to come to the Ryan on odd years they can fill in their OOC schedule with Sacred Heart and see how they do with that.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

9,300 announced crowd, and likely smaller, 4,000 short of capacity, and this clown
thinks he's at Kentucky, where he can dictate where games are played.
That's the kind of stunts Calipari did with Indiana, and others.
Cal din't like home and home with the Hoosiers. Aw!
Indiana told him to shove it, and ended the series.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If you squawk about where games are played your skirt is hiked up too far.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, all Hare needs is more experience, a few more pounds, and some help, and the sky's the limit!

That's why I'm not that pissed about tonight. Yes, we lost to PC. I got that. We'll be fine.

Just goes to show that the Hurleys need all their own players here. With the exception of Powell. He's a keeper.

Munford needs help also. He can score, but he needs another go-to guy to take over when he's off. Who they got now? Crickets.

I'm totally convinced Hurley will fix the late game defensive issues, also.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Point two: I was away at college the past two years URI came to the Dunk? Why no cheerleaders or Pep Band anymore? That used to be a lot of fun to me. That, and where were the students? Outside of the group up in the corner behind the URI bench, there were some scattered but nothing collective.

Officiating: Overall, I thought it favored URI slightly. Ok, PC homer comments coming, but I thought officiating HEAVILY favored URI in the first half, and swung back PC's way a good clip in the second half. The refs let URI bash and bruise Cotton and Batts almost the entire first half, and since PC was trying to play passive to avoid stupid fouls, they were not benefitting from the open play the refs were allowing. So PC was getting manhandled on offense and I felt for the most part URI was getting mostly clean opportunities.

Jordan Hare: Kid has a ton of potential. I thought his offense tonight was vastly overrated (look, he sat around the rim and dunked the ball all night), but I think that speaks to how athletic he is and how much potential he has to be a great player. Kid can jump.

The beauty is that the rivalry can only get better from here. I don't think Ledo will be around next season, but add Dunn, Johnson, Austin, Harris, and Desroisiers to what we have and than you guys add your transfers/recruits to what you have, and those are two teams competing for postseason bid.
point 1: I don't think it was 60/35 tonight probably about 80/20, and the DDC holds more but it wasn't even close to full tonight i think someone said 9300 in a 12400 seat arena (75%), that's only about 1,700 more than the RC. There is no way PC drops the series and no way it's at the dunk every year

point 2: PC stopped bringing them in 2009 i believe and since then the opposing cheerleaders et al have not traveled, the students in the corner were the tickets that were given to the students, I believe last year URI gave PC a 300 level section for the game (I honestly liked have students on the floor at both places)

Officiating was okay at best, some horrible calls especially the foul when Cotton shot and jumped on the URI player's back (i think Powell) and they called a foul. Also a few times they would call a hand check then not call a mauling under the basket.

Hare definitely played well tonight and has vastly improved since the first game.

The rivalry will only pick up in terms of talent and entertainment
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

That comment by Cooley is ridiculous and gutless. They have yet to play a true away game this season and are only playing two in the non-conf (against Brown and BC no less). They're obviously afraid to gut it out on the road.

I'm disappointed by the loss, but I wouldn't read too much into it. X had an off game which happens to shooters sometimes. Brooks stinks, but we already knew that. Nik and Malone aren't big-time players like they should be but they're gone after this year anyway. All the guys who will be a part of this teams future played like they wanted to win. Hare, Aaman, and Powell all played great and will only continue to get better from here on out. Don't let this one get you down guys, it's an important rivalry and an intense game, but its not the end of the world.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Just back to narragansett, of all the great things about going into the big city, coming home with rt 95 south, two right lanes closed after the Thurbers Ave curve..............nice. Way too much high post play we couldn't defend(besides boards) PC scored easy 10-15 ft in the lane jumpers, way too much turnovers..........way to little offfense against their zone when X was off, his points came in garbage time, he had 4 when things got out of hand.....way to little bench....way to little Malone....way to little Nik.....like the way Jordan hare is coming along, showing ability to finish strong at the hoop........reality check point here.......even when we shoot free throws well, and defend perimeter(or team shoots poor 3/s) AND X dosen't get his, we have zero set offense options..........the TO/s had me thinking I was watching...........neva mind........we/re gonna continue to struggle way too much against teams with active bigs that can score from various post positions...........was this for the first 33 minutes winnable??............. you betcha..............
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

twisted3829 wrote:

point 1: I don't think it was 60/35 tonight probably about 80/20, and the DDC holds more but it wasn't even close to full tonight i think someone said 9300 in a 12400 seat arena (75%), that's only about 1,700 more than the RC. There is no way PC drops the series and no way it's at the dunk every year

point 2: PC stopped bringing them in 2009 i believe and since then the opposing cheerleaders et al have not traveled, the students in the corner were the tickets that were given to the students, I believe last year URI gave PC a 300 level section for the game (I honestly liked have students on the floor at both places)

Officiating was okay at best, some horrible calls especially the foul when Cotton shot and jumped on the URI player's back (i think Powell) and they called a foul. Also a few times they would call a hand check then not call a mauling under the basket.

Hare definitely played well tonight and has vastly improved since the first game.

The rivalry will only pick up in terms of talent and entertainment
I agree on attendance. Definitely wasn't as big a URI turnout as I would have expected. Usually you guys do a good job packing in the Dunk for these games. Have to just wonder if the thought of another bad season kept people home and watching on TV. It's the same reason PC has struggled to bring in attendance for the OOC. But it definitely felt like more than 9300 there tonight.

I also agree on the students. I wrote on Scout just a few minutes ago, I miss the dueling bands, cheerleaders, Ram vs. Friar. Even if PC was home at the Dunk, it played a lot more like a neutral court game in the past which made it a lot of fun.

Officiating was very poor on both sides I felt tonight. Those guys were just widely inconsistent. Good ref keeps the game at hand and consistent with calls on both sides. I was honestly afraid PC was going to wear down though, the ball pressure put on them by Powell and X were phenomenal. PC has had a history of wearing down over much of the past two seasons, fortunately they were able to build up that cushion near the end.

That press Hurley ran in the first and early 2nd half on occasion might have been one of the worst presses I have ever seen in my life. I can see why you guys don't want to get into the track meet, pressure style of play.

What happened to Malone? Thought he was supposed to be a player?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

hopefully we/ll continue to play every year, rotating between the venues as it should be......Santa Cooley doesn't own this series.........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote:hopefully we/ll continue to play every year, rotating between the venues as it should be......Santa Cooley doesn't own this series.........
He's 2-0 though :D

Those videos BLOW though. By the second time through the Christmas video I was ready to go jump off a balcony.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

not the end of the world??..............no, but we did get view of the end of the world last year...........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For a 2nd year coach who hasn't won anything yet, Cooley sounds like a guy who thinks he's John Thompson of the Big Bad Hoyas back in the BE's heyday.

Hey Cooley, your team might be playing in the A10 in a couple years, then you will have to play us maybe TWICE a year, with one at the Ryan!

Starting next year, URI is going to be PC's toughest OOC game by far. Will only help their RPI, not hurt it. What a douche.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Now they're ragging on Hurley on the PC board, that's he's an immature high school coach, who's totally out of control.
Oh, and he didn't praise Cotton, but gave his players credit for shitting him down.
"He'll make URI and himself the team and coach that everyone loves to hate. This isn't high school anymore"
To which I pointed out coaches aren't in polularity contests.
All that matters is, we love him and his players love him and there's seven guys who can't wait to play for him
next year.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:For a 2nd year coach who hasn't won anything yet, Cooley sounds like a guy who thinks he's John Thompson of the Big Bad Hoyas back in the BE's heyday.

Hey Cooley, your team might be playing in the A10 in a couple years, then you will have to play us maybe TWICE a year, with one at the Ryan!

Starting next year, URI is going to be PC's toughest OOC game by far. Will only help their RPI, not hurt it. What a douche.
FWIW, when Cooley first came to Providence, there were a lot of fans upset at his demeanor and perceived arrogance, mainly when he let Chris Driscoll walk (which was the right decision), and people wanted him fired 4 days onto the job. That said, it's that fire and passion which has made Cooley likable among fans and recruits. He's always been the Coach who usually gets what he wants, and he has brought the results. And his is honest, which we like as well.

I can definitely see why you guys would take it the wrong way though, even if he was half-kidding when he said it.

And that's why while we think your Coach acting like a jack on the court tonight, you guys love him. In the end, it only matters W's and L's on the schedule.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Wow talk about delusional. Only PC fans could hear what Cooley and Hurley said and proclaim Hurley the immature one.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

66, obviously you never saw the abomination that URI's "press" was last season.

That was some of the worst ever. Hurley's presses will work fine down the road, when he has the players to run it.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC people are really insufferable. Their team wins tonight and instead of celebrating that, they have their coach going on about wanting all future games played on his home court and the fans crying about Hurley.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:66, obviously you never saw the abomination that URI's "press" was last season.

That was some of the worst ever. Hurley's presses will work fine down the road, when he has the players to run it.
Touche, last year your press was a Keno Davis special. At least it was only the PF they were leaving open. Last year, it was almost like any guard who caught the ball was zipping up the court uncontested.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

For such a suckass press, we turned PC over 13 times in the first half.
Munford had a tough shooting night, but he still kills himself on defense.
He and Powell are an excellent defensive backcourt.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:For such a suckass press, we turned PC over 13 times in the first half.
Munford had a tough shooting night, but he still kills himself on defense.
He and Powell are an excellent defensive backcourt.
Your press had nothing to do with turning PC over Rod, and I think you know that. I'm talking the full-court, with the man on the inbounder but the center playing deep, leaving the C or PF wide open at halfcourt. Perhaps it looked worse than it was because Batts is a competent ball-handler.

But I agree with your opinion. Munford and Powell are excellent defensively on the ball, and their fullcourt on-ball pressure is pretty fantastic. I thought they got away with some tonight, but overall, those are two guys you can definitely build a defense around.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

All of this postgame crap just reminds me why I hate that school so much, the coach, the fans, everything about them.
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

My take quick take on tonight....Disappointing to say the least, but better days are ahead. As for the crowd, it was a late arriving crowd between traffic and the pre-game libations. The URI student sections was loud, although not particular large .
Hare is going to be a stud. An absolute beast that we have never seen at URI. Best comparison i can think of is Marcus Camby at Umass.
We all knew we could not stop Batts and that was true through out the game. I like Aaman alot. The energy, the effort, he will be a key role/energy guy moving forward. It hurts that we were close at half and never kept it close or made a run in the second half. We just do not have enough horses that can play at this level yet....
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Video of the post-game pressers are now up: http://patch.com/A-0hnv
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't really want to talk about it, because everyones said everything. X sucked shooting, we played 1 solid half, Hare is a monster, blah blah blah.

They're fucking lucky they beat us this year. See you next year at the RC when we have a full team.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

Is this real life with the wait until next year crap? Pc was missing their best player in council and next year we add 3 top 100 recruits and 2 top 100 transfers. Give me a break.
Mbang Magic
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Mbang Magic »

Really disappointed the students didn't get to sit down on the floor tonight. Thought that was an awesome tradition. Unfortunately, I think URI sticking PC students up in the 300s last year may have had something to do with our placement this year.

Taking the URI students/cheerleaders/mascot/pep band off the floor really took some of the intensity and fun out of the game, for me at least. I'm absolutely willing to give PC their section at the Ryan if it means we get the same at the Dunk.

Whatever.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We came into the game the 18th in the NCAA on fewest
turnovers.
We had 20. Totally unlike any other game we've played.
Nik had 5, Powell 4, Munford and Malone had 3 each.
That's 20 turnovers against a ZONE!
How did that happen????
Oh, and peeps, I doubt Ledo will never see the Dunk floor as a PC player.
He's actually high on several NBA draft lists, right now.
As for you 2 top 100 transfers, both of them stunk at their previous schools.
Total non contributors.
The kid from NC State couldn't buy any time there, and his father made a fool
of himself bitching about Mark Gottfried not playing him.
Biruta will eat them alive.
Bullock isn't in anyone's top 100.
By season's end, Hassan Martin wil join EC Matthews in the top 100. Onyekaba was rated ahead of Hare in the rankings.
Is PC going to have four basketballs for Dunn, Council, Austin and Cotton?
Five, if Ledo plays.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Yes... All of uri's talent will work out and all of pc's top 100 talent are selfish ball hogs. Good luck with that.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sounds good to me!
I want to hear about those top 100 transfers!
I know they're tall.
Tell me what they did last year. I promise not to laugh.
Honest!
Enough of this wonderful banter. I'm going to bed.
This day sucked!
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Ok you win... Take out top 100 transfers and you are just left with 3 top 100 guards ranked at the top of their positions. Those selfish guys...
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, I lied. I'm still here.
As Bobby Knight recently said,
"Those rating of players are just baloney!
They're made by guys who never even played the game, and sit behind computers."
Nobody recruited Tyson Wheeler or Cat Mobley or Tommy Garrick.
How'd they work out?
How many of these top 100 guys are total busts? Pick up an old Blue Ribbon and look at
the top guys. How many actually were as advertised? How many did you even hear of?
If you put 100% faith in those ratings, you're going to be disappointed.
in 1997 Shea Cotton was number two rated prep player to Lamar Odom.
He was OK. He averaged 15 ppg at Alabama.
But, he was the number two player in the ratings!
We've had Luther Clay and Scott Hazelton play here. Nice players, sure.
But, they were McDonald AAs coming out of high school. Both were busts at their original school.
So, ratings are nice for discussions. But it's not always a sure thing.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Yet you throw out ratings and names of transfers. Let's put it this way... Had pc lost this game I wouldn't be throwing out excuses and saying wait until next year... I'd be humiliated. You should be humiliated that a banged up, bad big east team that played a walk on major minutes because they only have 7 players beat you with relative ease. And if you have seen them play, ledo, Austin, and Dunn are most definitely the real deal. Any transfer will always be a flyer.

And you don't need to tell me about diamonds in the rough... Gomes, council, Herbert hill, marshon brooks... Just a few recent names.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it aint so Eddie Cooley, you are better than that !!

Great bulletin board material for us next yr
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Extremely disappointed in Ed Cooley's comments that this game should always be played at the DDC. He is no outsider that might not understand the rivalry. He grew up here and coached on both sidelines. He full well knows how those types of comments would go over with Rhody fans. Very bush league.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote:Extremely disappointed in Ed Cooley's comments that this game should always be played at the DDC. He is no outsider that might not understand the rivalry. He grew up here and coached on both sidelines. He full well knows how those types of comments would go over with Rhody fans. Very bush league.
Agree 100 percent. Maybe one of these PC fans can give us Cooleys email.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't agree this was a step backwards. More like a reminder of how much work in rebuilding this program lays ahead. URI doesnt have enough guys who can shoot. Hurley still needs to add a 2G next year.
The biggest disappointment to me was Nik. He's a senior and is getting worse every game. Hurley did a great job coaching against the zone but Nik couldn't hit wide open 8 footers.
PC fans wouldn't know a good coach if they saw one so don't care what they think of ours.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looking forward to the day URI can shoot 45% from the field in most games.

Do that, and there will be many more W's than L's.

Simple as that.

Like Iggy said, just find a shooter or two for the 2G position, and we're golden.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

My observations from the dunk.

First off the crowd was small for a PC - URI game. Playing it on a Thursday night doesnt work. Completely empty sections upper arena behind baskets.

The crowd was calm most ofthe game. You can tell both programs have sucked for a while. There was no life in the building until late second half.
Who does PC think they are? The Chicago Bulls? The opening with the light out and that video is a complete joke. Imagain that opening firing up the crowd? they sat on their butts through the whole thing. Imagine that opening getting everyone pumped up against East Carolina next year.

Game was still manageable and then we had a lineup on tjhe floor of X, TJ, Bigby, Brooks and Powell. I turned to my buddy and said we are in trouble. There were no options to score then as the Defense slid to X and left everyoen else open. 3 possessions in a row we got nothng and PC opened the lead up. Not sure why he had this lineup out there but definitely hurt us.

X - even though he had a bad shooting game that kid plays hard every minute he is out there. As a team we just couldn't get the open looks to drop from 3 tonight.

Powell was fantastic. His improvement has been great and he continues to be a 40 minute guy. Mr. Powell be proud of your son.

Nik was horrible and threw up some shots that just made me shake my head. This guy is all about himself. After the National anthem the teams moved towards each other to shake hands at half court except Nik. He walked to the bench. Cant wait for him to be gone.

I said it earlier this year but when Hare puts it all together he could end up being the best big man to ever play at URI.

What has happened to Ed Cooley? Has he forgotten where he came from? Ed you havent won anything you can't dictate to anyone about where games are played. Remember you are the first PC coach in a long time to travel to Brown. Get over yourself Ed.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano