Game #28: @ Dayton - Tuesday 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game #28: @ Dayton - Tuesday 7pm

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here is my attempt to combine multiple post in to one.
Bressler - I don't know what you are basing your prediction of Terrell for 21 anf Gil for 12. I can't remember Gil scoring 12 in a big game this year and Terrell has really struggled the last two games.

Other post on getting a bye - our magic # is 1. Any Rhody victory or UMass lose and we are guaranteed a bye.

Rod - Gut check time was this week. The biggest game of the year already happened for Rhody and we lost to Davidson. The biggest game of the year for Dayton was yesterday and they won at VCU. This would only change if we get in the A10 championship game which would then be the biggest game of the year.

I just can't find anything to point me in the direction of a Rhody win Tues as much as I want them to win.
Rhody has struggled on the road with slim victories against weak teams.
Rhody scored in the 50s the last two games (looking like early season offense again).
Dayton is 15-0 at home.
Terrell is struggling again.
Our FT shooting has gone bad again.
Rhody hasn't beat a top A10 team this year.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote:Here is my attempt to combine multiple post in to one.
Bressler - I don't know what you are basing your prediction of Terrell for 21 anf Gil for 12. I can't remember Gil scoring 12 in a big game this year and Terrell has really struggled the last two games.

Terrell has been up and down all year, as should be expected from a frosh. After scoring in double digits in seven of the first nine games, he went eight straight without doing so before going off for 19, 18 and 17 at the end of January. Then he scored two points in the next two games combined, before going for 23, 14 and 16 in the next three. That he has had two "down" games in a row is as good of a reason to believe he is due to go off again as it is to think he has hit a wall or something.
Rhody83 wrote: I just can't find anything to point me in the direction of a Rhody win Tues as much as I want them to win.
Dayton is 15-0 at home.
Rhody is 7-3 on the road, which in college basketball makes you a good road team. Dayton is 15-0 at home, but here is a list of good teams they've played in Dayton:

(OK, maybe Ole Miss is decent, but you get the idea.)
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And I thought I was negative.

Actually, you're right, 83.

I think we'll be in the game until the end. We always are. Our 4 A10 losses are by a total of 10 points.

After that, all bets are off.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

One other thing to watch with Dayton is they get the ball up the floor in about 3 seconds after the other team scores and often get a quick layup by beating the defense down the floor. URI has been pretty good at getting back this year to prevent it. You would think the Flyers would have to be exhausted by now, since they use only seven players and the starters play most of the game. The VCU game would have to take some toll on them you have to believe. I think they lost at Duquesne by 11 because they were tired and they have to be even more tired now. The Duquesne loss came with only one day off after squeaking by St. Joes at home. This time there are only two days off after the VCU game.Has to be a factor you would think.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I wish I could use the EDIT button for my life.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatigue and nagging injuries will be a factor for both teams.

We don't know if or how much Hassan, EC, and Gil are being affected.

We know that EC's foot will be a problem at times, and will continue to be the rest of the season.

I think the rest between the end of the regular season, and our 1st game in NY, will be a huge plus for us.

That's as long as we get the bye, and start play on Friday.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:

Terrell has been up and down all year, as should be expected from a frosh. After scoring in double digits in seven of the first nine games, he went eight straight without doing so before going off for 19, 18 and 17 at the end of January. Then he scored two points in the next two games combined, before going for 23, 14 and 16 in the next three. That he has had two "down" games in a row is as good of a reason to believe he is due to go off again as it is to think he has hit a wall or something.
Rhody83 wrote: I just can't find anything to point me in the direction of a Rhody win Tues as much as I want them to win.
Dayton is 15-0 at home.
Rhody is 7-3 on the road, which in college basketball makes you a good road team. Dayton is 15-0 at home, but here is a list of good teams they've played in Dayton:

(OK, maybe Ole Miss is decent, but you get the idea.)
Fair points TP. I feel better.
The list of good teams that Dayton beat at home matches the list of good teams that Rhody beat on the road. They can both point to Richmond in league. As you mentioned Ole Miss also. Dayton is 3-2 vs Top 50 and URI is 0-4.
On Terrell - I agree with 3 good, 2 bad, 3 good, 2 bad. Let's hope for 3 good. But don't look at total points. He had 10 points against GTech on 3-10 shooting (0-4 on threes) as an example. Against Davidson he had 7 points on 3-12 shooting (0-5 on threes).

Rhody hasn't beat a team of Dayton's caliber this year and now we expect them to do it on the road. I mentioned our road victories against weak teams also - 214 Mason, 230 Fordham by 1, 241 Duq by 1, 252 SLU, 293 S. Miss and our loss to 182 SJU. The other two road wins are 65 Richmond & 99 LaSalle.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If we don't beat St Joe's at home we probably don't deserve a bye in Brooklyn.......... St Joe's is my most hated behind PeeCee and Umass of teams we play regularly. My hope is we crush them but 1st we must deal with Dayton.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You can't say, "don't look at total points" and then not mention defense when evaluating Terrell's play and whether or not he's played well.

And no one expects Rhode Island to do anything.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Other post on getting a bye - our magic # is 1. Any Rhody victory or UMass lose and we are guaranteed a bye.

Rod - Gut check time was this week. The biggest game of the year already happened for Rhody and we lost to Davidson. The biggest game of the year for Dayton was yesterday and they won at VCU. This would only change if we get in the A10 championship game which would then be the biggest game of the year.

I just can't find anything to point me in the direction of a Rhody win Tues as much as I want them to win.
Rhody scored in the 50s the last two games (looking like early season offense again).
Dayton is 15-0 at home.
Our FT shooting has gone bad again.
Rhody hasn't beat a top A10 team this year.
Hey, 83, paaarrrrrrrdon me. Anytime Terrell scores in double-figures -- save once -- URI wins. Also, he's big, physical and does what it takes on the defensive end. He matches-up well with Dayton's players. HE'S A BIG-TIME PLAYER WHO'S DUE FOR ANOTHER BIG-TIME GAME.
The 12 points I HOPE BIRUTA SCORES INDICATES THAT HE'S INVOLVED AND ISN'T IN FOUL TROUBLE. HE HANDLES THE BALL AND PASSES WELL ON THE INTERIOR. ALSO, WHEN HE'S GOING WELL, HE MAKES MARTIN MORE EFFECTIVE OFFENSIVELY AND DEFENSIVELY.
Scorers like Matthews don't have to have the ball all the time -- AND IT'S BETTER HE DOESN'T, SO GARRETT MOVES THE OFFENSE, BECAUSE URI HASN'T HAD ANYONE LIKE THIS IN A LOOOOOOONG WHILE. HE KNOWS HOW TO RUN THE TEAM.
MATTHEWS KNOWS HOW TO RUN MATTHEWS.
BUCHANAN IS BUCHANAN, ALWAYS AN ASSET.
WHEN JR plays well, well that's a plus.
If you want an exact prognostication about the effin' game, 83, I'll write one AFTER THE GAME TO MAKE SURE I GOT IT 100% TO YOUR LIKING.

Also, cherry-picker, I mentioned match-ups, "YOUR FREE-THROW SHOOTING HAS GONE BAD AGAIN," etc., etc.,
Oh geeeee, yeah, Rod. This ISN'T gut-check time. Really, 83? EVERY GAME FOR THIS TEAM IS A TOURNAMENT GAME. FROM THE COACH'S MOUTH.
You know, 83, there are very few times when I get annoyed reading this board, even when I'm criticized -- which is often enough. -- but this one of those instances.
I just wish that I was as upbeat about URI's chances as you are….
YOU'RE CORRECT -- NOTHING POINTS TO A URI VICTORY.
I WAS HOPEFUL, BUT NOW I CAN'T SEE THE LIGHT.
I'LL CALL COACH HURLEY AND TELL HIM TO CANCEL THE FLIGHT AND TAKE A FORFEIT.
I'M GLAD YOU SET ME STRAIGHT.
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:You can't say, "don't look at total points" and then not mention defense when evaluating Terrell's play and whether or not he's played well.

Terrell has played very good to great D all year. Fair point.
I meant that someone can score double figures and have a bad offensive game.
Terrell has games where he takes a lot of shots including a lot of threes.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:
ace wrote:You can't say, "don't look at total points" and then not mention defense when evaluating Terrell's play and whether or not he's played well.

Terrell has played very good to great D all year. Fair point.
I meant that someone can score double figures and have a bad offensive game.
Terrell has games where he takes a lot of shots including a lot of threes.
Were you here for the X talk? This place is very familiar with such conversations.

Like numbingly, make it stop kind of familiar.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bressler, I am glad to see you aren't overreacting to "I don't know what you are basing your prediction of Terrell for 21 anf Gil for 12."

Sorry it upset you so much. Not intended. I want Rhody to win Tuesday. It would be huge. I am not optomistic about it though. I was optomistic for the Davidson game. Rhody has had a great year. They may not be as good as their league record indicates because of the favorable league schedule this year. I think this team has surpassed everyone's expectations. I am looking forward to the rest of this year and next year.

Go Rhody!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Rhody83 wrote:Bressler, I am glad to see you aren't overreacting to "I don't know what you are basing your prediction of Terrell for 21 anf Gil for 12."

Sorry it upset you so much. Not intended. I want Rhody to win Tuesday. It would be huge. I am not optomistic about it though. I was optomistic for the Davidson game. Rhody has had a great year. They may not be as good as their league record indicates because of the favorable league schedule this year. I think this team has surpassed everyone's expectations. I am looking forward to the rest of this year and next year.

Go Rhody!
Noooooo, 83, "overreacting" it isn't. It's the BLANKET TRASHING IN YOUR SUMMATION, me included. It's the tone of "I know better than everyone" which rankled me, because what you offered was an opinion, just like the rest of us. Not facts, but opinions.
Save seanmc, and a few resident negativity-mongers, I don't believe that I've called out specifically named posters for what they think, whom they root for, etc., The few times I have was based on people's attacks on others, specifically when it comes to status, ability to attend games, etc.,
I also don't trash players, college kids.
Then again, that's me, and that's my choice.
The funny thing is that I was just about to log off, take a loooooong hiatus. Now, I don't know 83 -- you pissing me off may have saved me from a more mundane life.
I don't know if I should thank you or be more pissed off at you.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

83 is doom and gloom. Oh well. Rhody has delivered in that Richmond game and the Umass game and even the first Lasalle game. Those games were huge. They have also lost all their 4 A10 games by a total of 11 points.

In the last month they have lost 2 games by 2 points on 3pointers in the last minute. I dont know how any supporter can be pessimistic about a young team like that.

I think URI is due to beat a top echelon team in the league. Albeit against a shorthanded Dayton team. Like Dayton beat a VCU team without arguably the best defender in NCAAMB this year. We played VCU when they had him..... Umass had joe schmoe catch fire. The other 2 losses were like last second shots.

I dont know why people aren't more excited to win the league. An at-large bid? thats the measure of success? They can win the league! You know, something URI has never done.

The tournament will take care of itself, control what you can and get some hardware first.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

In keeping with the effort to add an air of optimism to this thread I would like to point out that URI has had only one double digit loss all year. That is incredible. There are few division 1 teams this season that can say that. They actually had a legitimate shot to be 26-1 right now, as hard as that is to imagine. Of course they could also be 18-9 having lucked out in the Fordham and Duquesne games. URI will be right with Dayton all the way down to the last minute. Dayton has been a better last five minute team than URI so far. So it may come down to how much energy Dayton has left, and of course there is the recent history we can look to for optimism. My gut is telling me they pull off another one in UD Arena because they need it more than Dayton. I hope I'm right.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If anyone in the Boston area wants to join, I plan on meeting a board member or two at Champions in Back Bay for the game. Hope to see you there.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

This game is simply about building momentum and hopefully some end of game confidence as we head to Brooklyn. Its hard to believe only one year ago we were the 10 seed losing to Umass for the third time.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Hi, if anyone gets any stream info for this game please post, I don't get this channel on tv. Thanks
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Running Ram wrote:Hi, if anyone gets any stream info for this game please post, I don't get this channel on tv. Thanks
Please book mark and check this link for best available streams of any A10 game. It's updated each game day.
http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic ... links.html
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Does anyone else agree with me that this is the 3rd biggest regular season game that the school has played since after Harrick left? The two UMass games to end the 2009 and 2010 season were obviously 1 and 2 in any order but a win in this game will likely give the school something that it's never done in its history, and that is at least a share of the A-10 title. Yes I know that they could lose to St. Joe's, but it doesn't seem likely. To me this game is for all the marbles. And if they win tomorrow and lose to St. Joe's, well, they don't deserve any title to begin with.

I do not think that URI has a prayer in hell at an at large berth regardless of what happens. But the A-10 regular season title, or share of a title, is impressive given that it's never been done before by the school.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It's difficult for me to rank regular season games in this way. If we had a clearly defined ranking criteria, then perhaps we could have this discussion.

I'm pretty sure the VCU game and Davidson games, had they been wins, would have changed the "bigness" of Tuesday's Dayton game. I don't think it would be a must-win to the extent it is now.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Scine, I think winning the A10 regular season would be really cool for this program, and since it seems most likely that we will fall a little short of the dance this year it would be a pretty good consolation prize for this team for having a season that has exceeded expectations. Until we are eliminated from the A10 tournament, though, winning that is still the main goal.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

TP, the rest of that is not the regular season. I'm talking strictly regular season.

Obviously the games in the A-10 tournament are more important than tomorrow night's game.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

For all Chicago Area fans, I will be heading to Glascotts Saloon (Dayton Bar) for the game. Address is 2158 N Halsted (Lincoln Park).

PM me if interested and we can discuss details. I should have a group of 4-6 with me that I'll bribe in beer to support Rhody in an otherwise very pro-Dayton atmosphere.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:TP, the rest of that is not the regular season. I'm talking strictly regular season.

Obviously the games in the A-10 tournament are more important than tomorrow night's game.
No, I get that. I don't think I explained myself well. My point was that it is likely that win or lose this game tomorrow, we will still have a bye in Brooklyn. So with respect to the ultimate goal of winning the A10 tournament, this game is not really imperative. It is, however, imperative for the secondary goal of winning the regular season title - so in that way it is still a huge game. Sorry, I realize I was not very clear about that.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Whenever Rhody plays Dayton, I enjoy checking out this site. Its usually quite funny.

http://www.blackburnreview.com/
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Winning the league is such a big deal.

Winning the league and not getting in the tournament will be news worthy considering who would be behind us getting in. I have read Dayton is in play for an 8 seed. Well we would have beat an 8 seed on their home floor. A home floor that is respected(see first round of the tourney).

This season is very much alive.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

To me and many long time fans, this is the biggest A-10 regular season game since Temple came to Keaney back in 1988. For the simple reason is you win this game and at home against St Joes and you will do what no other URI team has ever done and that is win the regular season championship of the A-10.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:To me and many long time fans, this is the biggest A-10 regular season game since Temple came to Keaney back in 1988. For the simple reason is you win this game and at home against St Joes and you will do what no other URI team has ever done and that is win the regular season championship of the A-10.

+1
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:83 is doom and gloom. Oh well. Rhody has delivered in that Richmond game and the Umass game and even the first Lasalle game. Those games were huge. They have also lost all their 4 A10 games by a total of 11 points.

In the last month they have lost 2 games by 2 points on 3pointers in the last minute. I dont know how any supporter can be pessimistic about a young team like that.

I think URI is due to beat a top echelon team in the league. Albeit against a shorthanded Dayton team. Like Dayton beat a VCU team without arguably the best defender in NCAAMB this year. We played VCU when they had him..... Umass had joe schmoe catch fire. The other 2 losses were like last second shots.

I dont know why people aren't more excited to win the league. An at-large bid? thats the measure of success? They can win the league! You know, something URI has never done.

The tournament will take care of itself, control what you can and get some hardware first.
I don't think it's doom and gloom or negative to point out that URI has lost at home to VCU and Davidson. Their best conference win is at home against UMass or at Richmond. They're having a great year -- they're in first place! But they lack a big win, in or out of conference. They have not beaten a team that is going to the tournament. Tuesday provides another opportunity for that signature win. We all want them to pull it off.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI96 wrote:
Rhodyhooopz wrote:To me and many long time fans, this is the biggest A-10 regular season game since Temple came to Keaney back in 1988. For the simple reason is you win this game and at home against St Joes and you will do what no other URI team has ever done and that is win the regular season championship of the A-10.

+1
What about Davidson?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Thank God this game is in HD, the standard def CBSSports is worse quality than any other regular def channel. Go Rhody!
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

In our 4 league losses, we have lead all of them late.

We are so close. We still are learning how to put teams away, how to finish.

Some nights we are doing that. Other nights we have failed.

It's such a fine line between success and failure.

We're not missing much. Just a little bit more, and we're there.

Whenever that finally happens.

We are a shooter and a big guy away from having REALLY big dreams.
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:In our 4 league losses, we have lead all of them late.

We are so close. We still are learning how to put teams away, how to finish.

Some nights we are doing that. Other nights we have failed.

It's such a fine line between success and failure.

We're not missing much. Just a little bit more, and we're there.

Whenever that finally happens.

We are a shooter and a big guy away from having REALLY big dreams.
+1

Good learning curves. They definitely lost many of these games the last two years and now are winning some of them.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think tomorrows game is HUGE. To win a league title, after the last several years, would be fantastic. We've got some pretty good teams in our league. I never thought back at the start of the season that we would be in this position.
Except for KU (hate them), all our losses have been close. A few shots away.
No matter what happens this and next week, we've had a hell of a season.
Whatever happens with tournament bids is a bit down the road. I really want this title. I bet the team does, too.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Okay, I thought for sure URI had a share of the A10 title at some point long ago. It turns out, they shared the league with Duquesne in their first season in the old Eastern 8 back in 1981 (tied with Duquesne at 10-3, but RI was the #1 sead in the tournament, losing to 4 seed and eventual E8 tourney champion Pittsburgh. Villanova had left the previous season and Rhode Island replaced them. Two years later, after Pittsburgh left, St. Joe's and Temple joined and the league renamed itself the Atlantic 10.

That all said, if URI finishes first this year, wouldn't that make it their 2nd A10 title? Or are they either not considering the old Eastern 8 or the fact that 1981 was a tie?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Rhody opens as 4 point underdogs tomorrow night
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thought it would be 6 or 7. That's basically a toss up.

We're still getting respect, that's good.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Stevie, looks like people want this one to be the first,
and are ignoring past history.
Or, they're using the A-10 as if it's a separate entity
form the Eastern 8?
Reasons for the long gap?
Chaney, Calipari, Prossser. Dominant programs by
Temple, UMass and Xavier over the years.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I'll be honest. Anything that happened pre Ryan Center means absolutely nothing to me. I started following the team my junior year in 2002-2003.

I think many posters feel the same way and don't care about their run to the sweet 16 in 1988 or what happened under Jim Harrick.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

scine20 wrote:I'll be honest. Anything that happened pre Ryan Center means absolutely nothing to me. I started following the team my junior year in 2002-2003.

I think many posters feel the same way and don't care about their run to the sweet 16 in 1988 or what happened under Jim Harrick.
Well, I started following in the late 60s, but I still care about Frank Keaney and Ernie Calverly.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:I think many posters feel the same way and don't care about their run to the sweet 16 in 1988 or what happened under Jim Harrick.
You're entitled to feel however you want about it, but I suspect you're very wrong about this. I think most fans do care about the history. I was even a few years behind you in school, but what happened before I got there means a great deal to me.
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
scine20 wrote:I think many posters feel the same way and don't care about their run to the sweet 16 in 1988 or what happened under Jim Harrick.
You're entitled to feel however you want about it, but I suspect you're very wrong about this. I think most fans do care about the history. I was even a few years behind you in school, but what happened before I got there means a great deal to me.
Agreed - I was a freshman for the '88 Sweet Sixteen run, but am just as interested in the history before then. The Kraft and Keaney years, and everything in between.

For those of you that haven't, give Woodward's biography of Keaney a read. Really good stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Keaney-Dont-Love- ... 093488112X
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Us oldtimers lived and died [mostly died] watching all of it.

Those late 70's and late 80's teams were our [almost] glory years.

Then of course, the late 90's.

You better believe it means a lot to us. Up until very recently, that's all we could ever hope to lay our hats on, since under JB there was no hope.

Now there is renewed hope that Dan can bring us back to those heights, and maybe this time break through and make a FF.

Sure it's a long shot, but at least it's a shot. For the last 15 years, we've had nothing.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

In terms of what the school accomplished in the late 80's/early 90's, I don't think us younger fans/alums have the same appreciation for it at all. How could you? My first tournament memory of URI was the first Purdue game in 1993. Doesn't mean I don't care about the Sweet 16 run in '88, but I definitely don't have the same appreciation for it as the Rod's of the world.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2010, you had to be there to appreciate it. That's all.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

TruePoint wrote:
It's not that I don't appreciate it, it just doesn't mean anything to me. Why should it? I wasn't a fan of the school in the years before I was a student there.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

TruePoint wrote:
+1,

My freshmen year was 04-05. Like every other Rhody fan I know I was a big fan as a kid back in the 90s. I actually wonder how many fans have picked up URI bb after the Ryan center was built? It's clearly got to be a decent number as so much time has gone by.
steviep123
Sly Williams

BPR2010 wrote:In terms of what the school accomplished in the late 80's/early 90's, I don't think us younger fans/alums have the same appreciation for it at all. How could you? My first tournament memory of URI was the first Purdue game in 1993. Doesn't mean I don't care about the Sweet 16 run in '88, but I definitely don't have the same appreciation for it as the Rod's of the world.
with the above said, you were a fan for the 98 run, so you do know how to appreciate a team like the 88 team as well.
Bleed Keaney Blue!