Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

The A-10 went a disappointing 2-1 for the evening;

St. Joe's brushed aside Loyola (MD), 68-52.

Dayton struggled at home to edge Bowling Green, 56-52.

And Saint Louis failed to defend its home court by losing to South Dakota State, 62-55. Bad loss. We shouldn't be losing to a team from the Summit League.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah wrote:The A-10 went a disappointing 2-1 for the evening;

St. Joe's brushed aside Loyola (MD), 68-52.

Dayton struggled at home to edge Bowling Green, 56-52.

And Saint Louis failed to defend its home court by losing to South Dakota State, 62-55. Bad loss. We shouldn't be losing to a team from the Summit League.
No, but the opening of our A10 slate continues to look fatter and fatter.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man, I in no way want to get ahead of myself, especially because I think the PC game is going to be a tough one to win, but how nice would 12-2 be going into that VCU game?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

South Dakota State ain't all that bad. They've been pretty solid lately. Saint Louis is indeed bad again. It's kind of strange because they were just sooo damn hard to beat for three years. And just like that SLU is depleted and very young and inexperienced. I caught a glimpse of them on TV and they are really skinny. I guess they still can play pretty alright defense though.
Impressive performance from St. Joes. I watched Dayton and they came back and won that game despite playing poorly and they will be pretty tough this year I think. They know how to win.
12-2 would be very nice. We can do it. I feel like we will be pretty consistent and not play like we did against Georgia Tech again, but then I just know we will probably lay a few premature Easter eggs here and there. First things first, please beat PeePee!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In A-10 action Wednesday night in addition to URI vs. PC:

Monmouth at Fordham. 7 PM.

Davidson at Montana. 9 PM.

Duquesne at Penn State. 9 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents.

#10 Kansas at Georgetown. 7PM. On Fox Sports 1.

Campbell at Delaware State. 7 PM.

Dartmouth at UMass-Lowell. 8 PM.

Incarnate Word at Nebraska. 8 PM. On ESPN3.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"Incarnate Word at Nebraska. 8 PM. On ESPN3."

ESPN picks this game while people here are scurrying to find coverage of URI/PC? Incarnate Word must have a lot of power with them.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I hear you 85 and share your frustration. The Incarnate Word game didn't bother me as much, since it is a regional thing, but why is Temple-Towson a more attractive option for audiences in the east than URI-PC??
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Columbia, yes, Columbia leads #1 Kentucky at the half, 25-23. The Ivy League is getting medieval on the power conferences.
'No Mercy.'
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I know it gets lost in the defeat at the Dunk tonight, but Nebraska lost to yes, Incarnate Word, at HOME tonight. Goodbye good win. Goodbye dance unless we take the conference.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not a great night for URI overall.

In A-10 action:

Monmouth takes Fordham into OT before falling, 68-58.

Davidson leads Montana 63-59 midway through second half.

Duquesne trails Penn State by 8, in second half. 9 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents.

Once again, Georgetown as the supposed lead dog in a revamped BE disappoints in prime time as they fall to #10 Kansas, 75-70. On their home court, nonetheless!

URI’s next opponent, Delaware State, lost at home to Campbell, 70-55.

Just when you thought UMass-Lowell was on a roll, they lay an egg against lowly Dartmouth to lose, 69-48.

Incarnate Word upsets Nebraska, 74-73. IW made a comeback after being down 3 with 7 seconds left in game. A Terran Petteway turnover with 5 seconds gave the ball to IW and they got a jumper to win with 2 seconds left.

For those interested the University of Incarnate Word, located in San Antonio, TX is a Catholic institution founded by the Sisters of Charity. The school has about 9000 students and has impressive athletic facilities on a 150+ acre campus. They are in the Southland Conference.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wow. Nebraska really does stink. PC isn't that good either.

I think it's reality check time in Kingston.

We're a decent team. We'll pound on the weak sisters. Since the A10 is weak this season, we'll win more games in conference than we have in a while.

We're still majorly challenged against strong competition. We'll win a couple of good ones at home, and lose some tough ones on the road.

We will be better as the season goes along. However, our ceiling this year is what it is.

And that is, 18-20 wins, 4th-6th in conference, and maybe an NIT bid. A little disappointing, but we don't have the horses, or enough horses. Yet.

I will qualify my statement about the number of wins. If we improve our FT shooting, we'll win 18-20. If not, we're going to lose at least a couple we should win.

And I will be PISSED if that happens.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The poor FT performance is mystifying. And the stats are even worse when the team is under pressure (ex EC). You can't win close games with that weakness and it's not an aberration, it's become part of the DNA of the teams the last two seasons.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obie, another disturbing thing about it, is that it's not just the bigs that suck at FT's.

It's the entire team. It looks like even Terrell and Jarvis have caught the FT bugaboo. Those two were good FT shooters in HS and prep, or at least Jarvis was. Makes you wonder if the staff knows what they're doing in that area.

Except for EC of course. Thank God he takes more of them on average than the rest, or the numbers would look even worse.

Embarassing to say the least.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wrapping up the A-10 results for the evening.

Davidson moves its record to 7-1 as they beat Montana 110-99. Nice road win for Davidson. But remember in its transition to the A-10, Davidson plays one of the weaker OOC schedules in the A-10.

In a close game throughout, Penn State defended its home court in edging Duquesne, 64-62. What was remarkable in the game was that Penn State in the last six minutes did not score a basket with all their points coming from FT's, 13 for 13. Interesting to note that the Nittany Lions FT shooting earlier was less than 50%, but when the game was on the line in the waning minutes they made 100% of their FT's. If they shot FT's like URI, Duquesne would have won.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Duquesne had a chance to tie or win in the end and al they did was jack up a horrible three point shot. Tired of watching teams do that. A-10 continues to lose close games against power conference opponents
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if there was a positive on the FT front tonight, it was that we didn't miss any FT's down the stretch. Of course, we only shot one [TJ]!

All the damage was done earlier.

Last season, I think we were at our worst during crunch time. So far this year, not that much to go on.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

EC did put in the final two FT's to boost the lead over Nebraska to four with four seconds left. If he had missed the Cornhuskers would have had a shot to win with a miracle three.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Terrell's 2 three point shots in OT were miracles.

I thought after he made those he would make SOME.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even though Davidson has played stiffs for the most part, they are scoring major points.

Way more than any other A10 team. Do they have good outside shooters? Have they played teams that zoned them?

Even we have played well in a couple games against zones. Of course they have been against crap teams.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It seems they like to run and score as many of their games have been high scoring affairs. Excellent FT shooters, put in 34 of 36 against Montana. Also they take a barrage of threes, often in 20-30 attempts. Against Carolina they took 36! I believe their scoring average is close to 90 points per game. Their best win was on their home court versus a good Charlotte team. They got trounced by UNC who I think is not that great. They face #6 Virginia in their last OOC game before conference play. We'll see how they do. My guess is they go 9-2 in OOC.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: It's the entire team. It looks like even Terrell and Jarvis have caught the FT bugaboo. Those two were good FT shooters in HS and prep, or at least Jarvis was. Makes you wonder if the staff knows what they're doing in that area.
I'm very confused by this statement. Can you explain what you mean by "makes you wonder if the staff knows what they're doing in that area." It sounds like you are implying that Jarvis was a good FT shooter before coming here and the staff somehow has made him bad at it.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Davidson by they way was 34-36 from the line tonight against Montana. A close game with them may not work out well with us.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote: It's the entire team. It looks like even Terrell and Jarvis have caught the FT bugaboo. Those two were good FT shooters in HS and prep, or at least Jarvis was. Makes you wonder if the staff knows what they're doing in that area.
I'm very confused by this statement. Can you explain what you mean by "makes you wonder if the staff knows what they're doing in that area." It sounds like you are implying that Jarvis was a good FT shooter before coming here and the staff somehow has made him bad at it.
I have tried to find HS Shooting Percentages on Garrett but can't find. Does anyone know what his shooting results were?

This is so far at URI through the PC game:
Terrell
FG 26-72 for 36%
3 Point 9-26 for 35%
FT 14-25 for 56%

GarrettFG 9-27 for 33%
3 Point 2-9 for 22%
FT 6-10 for 60%
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Those numbers fit right in with the rest of the team's. FT's I mean.

Barf.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Those numbers fit right in with the rest of the team's. FT's I mean.

Barf.
Those two were good FT shooters in HS and prep, or at least Jarvis was. Makes you wonder if the staff knows what they're doing in that area.

You made this statement Rambone, so do you know what Jarvis' shooting percentages were in High School? I could not find any statistics, only points, rebounds, assists and steals per game but nothing on percentages. What makes you say he was a good FT shooter in HS and Prep? Did you see him play?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, not sure but I think I read it on here a while back that Jarvis was a good FT shooter in HS.

Don't remember reading actual numbers, but what is considered good nowadays?

Anything over 70% on this team makes them the star of the show.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Either way, 6-10 for Jarvis is a pretty small sample size. A few makes in a row (or a few misses in a row) would move the needle pretty drastically.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

In the prep games I saw, he missed maybe three free throws.
He'll be fine. Back off.
Everybody is jumping all over this kid. Ridiculous.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Slim A-10 action tonight:

In only game George Washington takes on DePaul in the first round of the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu. 7PM

No games involving URI OOC opponents.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

George Washington soundly beats DePaul in a non-bracketed game in the Diamond Head Classic, 81-68 in a game they led all the way with a halftime bulge of 20 points. The Colonials had balanced scoring from three starters - forwards Patricio Garino and Kevin Larsen and guard Joe McDonald - all making double digit contributions. Great FG shooting for GW, at 57% which includes 3-5 on 3 pointers. However, their FT shooting was a dismal 14-27, 52%. GW has probably the best starting five in the A-10, and though their depth/bench may be questionable, versus DePaul, they contributed 16 points. Nice win for the conference.

Note: Game was held at the Smith Center in DC not Honolulu as stated earlier.
Last edited by Obadiah 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:

The coaches are encouraging players to shoot with their eyes closed and with their non-dominant hand. It's a questionable approach, IMO.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Seriously, Ace? Eyes closed is fine, but wrong hand? Why?

They aren't going to do that in games. Is that supposed to help their technique?

Don't agree with this. At. All.

Work on their form as they should shoot them, and then repeat many, many times over.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It was a joke.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think they should try it with their arms tied behind their back.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Oops. Gotcha.

Well, our FT shooting is a joke.

So, that's even.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ace wrote:It was a joke.
Shows just how much credibility you have, Ace! You had me for a moment too.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Back to the subject.

Lots of action in the A-10 today besides the URI game versus Delaware State.

La Salle at Drexel. 1 PM.

Dayton pays a visit to Walton country as the Flyers play Arkansas. 2 PM. On ESPN2.

St. Bonaventure at Pittsburgh. 2 PN. On ESPNU.

UMass entertains Jim Baron and his Canisius team. 4 PM.

Duquesne at Robert Morris. 4 PM.

Howard at Richmond. 6 PM.

Unbeaten Northern Iowa at VCU. 7 PM. On NBC Sports.

Niagara at Davidson as the Wildcats look to take their record to 8-1. 7 PM.

SIU-Edwardsville at Saint Louis. 7 PM.

Some interesting games today involving URI OOC opponents:

#11 Wichita State at Detroit. 12 Noon. On ESPNU.

Stony Brook at PC. 12 Noon.

#13 Utah vs. #10 Kansas at Kansas City, MO. 3:15 PM. On ESPN.

Sping Hill at Southern Miss. 8 PM. (Note: Spring Hill is a D2 school located in Mobile, AL., founded by Jesuits and has about 1500 students.)

Cincinnati at Nebraska. 8 PM. On BTN.

Washington State at Santa Clara. 10 PM.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Watch Baron go into UMass and pull off the upset for just about the first time ever.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC only leading by 6 at the half over Stony Brook. They trailed for a good part of the half.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Stony Brook leads by one with about 15 minutes left.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Detroit has a 4 point lead over #11 Wichita State with 16 minutes left.
Last edited by Obadiah 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And if you're on Twitter, make sure you follow William Geoghegan. He's the new Bill Koch and does a nice job putting together some Rhody stuff that doesn't appear anywhere else.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Juwon Howard jr might be a problem for us, he is filling the stat sheet for Detroit.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

PC wins 79 to 61. Was in the 20s until they cleared the bench.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nebraska beat Cincinnati 56-55.

In double overtime.

Pretty great quote from the coach, too-

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:Detroit has a 4 point lead over #11 Wichita State with 16 minutes left.

#11 Wichita State eventually prevailed at Detroit 77-68.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Detroit will not be an easy game for us. Good thing it's at home.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They have ONE player that does anything.
I'm not going in chicken little mode because they lost by 9 points
at home to Wichita.
No player has really gone off on us this year.
I see Detroit as a win.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I agree, as long as we don't let the game be close late because of our, you know, issues at the line.

One way or the other, we've got to be able to win close games. We're going to have a few in league play for sure, especially on the road. That's including teams we should beat, not just the better teams.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Did anyone catch VCU-Northern Iowa?
What a game!
NIU had a guard, who continually went into the lane on VCU
and scored 27 points, mostly in the second half and the OTs.
VCU has lots of long bodies, but look more vulnerable that
most years under Smart.