The refs! - 2014-2015

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The refs! - 2014-2015

Unread post by RoadyJay »

For St. Louis we had:

Louie Andrakakos http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/louie-andrakakos
Paul Faia http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/paul-faia
Winston Stith http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/winston-stith

An experienced crew, especially Faia and Stith. I was not able to get the stream working so I ended up listening to Steve and Don. They were complaining early that we were not getting foul calls, especially one where Jarelle apparently got hammered going to the basket.

I saw a replay of the Biruta dunk, for which he received a tech. Looked to me that his momentum carried his legs forward and then he had to swing back. I'm probably in the minority but I don't think he was trying to show anyone up with that dunk. Let it go...

Interestingly, it seems there was a problem with the whistle recognition system, which is supposed to recognize the referees whistle and stop the game clock. On several occasions the clock continued to run after a referee had blown their whistle. When Hurley complained apparently they could only go and add time back for the most recent play. Apparently it happened quite often throughout the first half and Don Kaull said on the air that Kevin Tirone said that as much as 30+ seconds had inadvertently run off the clock after refs had blown their whistles.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ken Pomeroy has done some work evaluating officials' tendencies to call more or less fouls. Interesting read.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog ... call_fouls
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Interesting, though it would have been helpful if he identified officials by conference.
Slava Ukraini!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

For Fordham we had:

Karl Hess http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/karl-hess
Clarence Armstrong http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/clarence-armstrong
Ron Tyburski http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/ron-tyburski

Good thing I wasn't at the game last night... Karl Hess may have either called me a slur or kicked me out of the game... or both!

Hess has called over 1500 games, including 6 Final Fours and 9 ACC title games.

He's also been involved in some incidents over the past couple of years including one the other night, with a fan.

https://twitter.com/MitShahNoble/status ... 8136774656

Also, from a recent AP article:

"Hess has been a controversial figure at ACC basketball games in the last two years, specifically games involving NC State.

In February 2012, former NC State basketball stars Tom Gugliotta and Chris Corchiani were ejected from their seats behind the scorer's table by Hess during a game in Raleigh. At the time, Hess told ACC officials that the former players weren't ejected for anything they said, but for "excessive demonstration on several calls." The league reviewed the incident and publicly reprimanded Hess.

The conference said Hess decided not to work the ACC tournament the next month, but the three officials who worked the opening game of that tournament wrote the letters "KH" on a small piece of tape attached to the side of their shoes. No other referees took such an action.

Last month, Hess worked an NC State game in Raleigh for the first time since he ejected Gugliotta and Corchiani. Fans booed him every time he made a call, and he further invited their ire when he called a technical foul on NC State coach Mark Gottfried barely 4 minutes into the game against Wofford.

The game came down to a last-second shot that counted for Wofford and one that came just after the buzzer for the Wolfpack. Fans threw trash at Hess as he left the court."
Last edited by RoadyJay 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks for the Referee insight as usual Roady Jay. I wonder what Hess would have thought of your signs? Is he scheduled to do any URI games the remainer of the year?
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I have not found a way to see schedules in advance for these guys... If anyone knows where to see this I'd love to know about it.

I only see the who is calling the game once the game starts.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hess was just fired by the ACC.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow... what a loser to pull these stunts.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

He was also let go by the American Athletic Conference. Was supposed to being doing his last game for them tomorrow but has now withdrawn from that. Big East is now also investigating, and I am sure they will dump him too. He probably has done his last game as a ref.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Great, I'm sure the A10 will welcome him with open arms. Ugh.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

If he sucks, he can ref A-10 games.
He'll fit right in.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Hess did URI-Fordham game. Think that was his last game.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There used to be a wrestler known as "The Terrible Teuton"
Karl von Hess.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

For Duquesne we had:

Bill McCarthy http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/bill-mccarthy
Gary Prager http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/gary-prager
Gary Pucino http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/gary-pucino

Well, there were only a total of 26 fouls called but there were some controversial ones.. and a lack of one foul call that led a Hurley tech.

With 14:26 left in the 2nd half and URI down 9 (41-32) TJ was called for a traveling violation. It was clear however that he was tripped on the play by Duquesne's Mason. Hurley was livid at ref Gary Pucino, who made the call (Pucino is from Coventry, RI by the way). Duquesne then in-bounded the ball and TJ and Garrett attempted to trap Jordan Stevens in the backcourt. TJ was called for a touch foul, by Gary Prager, and that's when Hurley lost it and Prager T'd him up. At the time I thought it was tough to get a tech down 9. Mason sank both technical foul shots and Duquesne went up 11. From that point on URI outscored Duquesne 29-17. Turning point in the game for sure!

The foul on Jeremiah Jones at the end of the game that sent Terrell to the line was controversial.

From the Pittsburgh Post Gazette... First from Duquesne Head Coach, Jim Ferry.

“I thought both teams played their hearts out,” he said. “The kids played so hard. And it’s a disgrace that a game gets ended on a 50-50 call like that.”

The play Ferry was referencing was the game’s most decisive, a loose-ball foul called on the Dukes’ Jeremiah Jones after he and Rhode Island’s Jared Terrell sprinted after a missed shot. With his team in the bonus and down one, Terrell sank both shots to give the Rams (11-3, 3-0 Atlantic 10) a one-point lead with 8.3 seconds remaining.

Ferry took no questions after his comment about the call.

“That’s it,” he said as he left the press room. “They can fine me, they can [expletive] do whatever they want.”

Then Hurley's thoughts on the play...

“When he has the line toward the ball and he’s about to grab it, and he gets shoved in the back into the scorers’ table, I think you have to call that, no matter if there’s one second left or if the game just started,” Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley said.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree with Hurley, fact is that Terrell did have the line towards the ball jsut as Hurley said. It could have gone as a no call but I think the Ref made the right call. Fact is that I was a bit surprised myself that the call was made at that point in the game but I also thought at the time that it was right. They were both going for the ball but Terrell clearly had the inside track on it.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Shove it, Ferry. A football tackle when you've been beaten by a guy for a loose ball is not a "50/50 ball"

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with Blue, fact is Terrell beat him to the ball and had his hands on it before being shoved to the ground. If you call that out of bounds on Terrell they probably would have had to toss Dan out of the game. He would have gone ballistic, deservedly so.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree with Blue and BAR. I also do not recall the announcers having any problem at all with the call. I was surprised to hear that Ferry was so pissed about it.
Agree that Hurley would have gone bonkers, and rightfully so.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ferry was pissed because they lost. His player had an open 8 footer to win the game, and missed it.

It's funny, like some of you have said tonight, if a certain previous coach of ours had been our coach in this game, that last shot would have gone in.

Maybe karma, for once, is OUR bitch.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Agree with Blue and BAR as well. I didn't think URI got too many calls during the course of the game either. Terrell had to make the fts and like 78 says, Duquesne had a wide open shot to win game. We've been on the other end too many times.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

VCU game officials.
Larry
Moe
Curley

A bunch of clowns in big floppy clown shoes because their officiating was a joke.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

SUCKED ASS!!!!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Ditto!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

For VCU we had:

Bryan Kersey http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/bryan-kersey
Brian O'Connell http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/brian-oconnell
Mike Sanzere http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/mike-sanzere

A very experienced crew tonight... but you wouldn't know it by their performance (especially the 2nd half). I certainly don't blame the refs for the outcome in this one, but this was one of the worst officiated games I've seen.

Bryan Kersey was horrible tonight. He is a very experienced ACC referee. Over 1500 games officiated. His father, Jess Kersey, was an NBA referee. He and I had a polite exchange after he tried to tell me to "sit down!" Surprised that Dan did not get T'd up at the end of the half.

I really don't like O'Connell either, he's awful. This is the third game of ours he has called. He also called the PC and Georgia Tech games.

Sanzere was equally horrendous tonight.

Nice job guys!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The refs were horrendous. But despite that, we still should have won.
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Disclaimer: We lost the game, not the refs.

Having said that, Brian O'Connell should be considered persona non grata at the Ryan Center. Clearly has a grudge against Hurley. On one 50/50 out-of-bounds play Hurley appealed to O'Connell to give a second opinion. He refused to even talk to the other ref who made the call. Never seen anything like that. Even if the ref agrees with the call that was made, he almost always will confer with the guy who made the call. O'Connell just went over and let the subs in. Gutless. WE ARE 0-3 IN GAMES THIS GUY HAS REFFED! We've only lost 4 games!!! He has been on the court for 75% of our losses. I can see how Hurley rubs refs the wrong way, but if it bothers this guy so much, stop working our games.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Optimistic wrote:Disclaimer: We lost the game, not the refs.

Having said that, Brian O'Connell should be considered persona non grata at the Ryan Center. Clearly has a grudge against Hurley. On one 50/50 out-of-bounds play Hurley appealed to O'Connell to give a second opinion. He refused to even talk to the other ref who made the call. Never seen anything like that. Even if the ref agrees with the call that was made, he almost always will confer with the guy who made the call. O'Connell just went over and let the subs in. Gutless. WE ARE 0-3 IN GAMES THIS GUY HAS REFFED! We've only lost 4 games!!! He has been on the court for 75% of our losses. I can see how Hurley rubs refs the wrong way, but if it bothers this guy so much, stop working our games.
That's a very intriguing statistic.
I personally thought Bryan Kersey was THE WORST out of all of them. This guy seemed to be THE guy the coaches and us fans were so furious with. Did this guy go to VCU back in the day or something?Felt like it. (don't answer...it's rhetorical)
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:SUCKED ASS!!!!
Agreed. Sucked Shaka's ass cheeks hard core!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

O'connell is the worst. The second I saw his ugly mug on the TV I knew we were in trouble.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Rhody got a lot of the calls in the first half and Hurley still went ballistic on the refs at the half. Not the best way to make friends and influence people.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

I understand that some like to use the foul differential as some kind of justification that should imply that a coach, player, or fan should not be disgruntled, but in the end what it comes down to is the officials need to do their job properly regardless of the numbers or differential. If one team is hacking, swatting, pulling, (etc...) away at another team's players with little regard for the rules then fouls warrant being called and called until the team that continues to hack, swat, pull (etc...) finally gets the message that they shouldn't be doing it, regardless of the differential.
The officials get paid to do their job. Period. They are there to officiate the game properly and make sure both teams abide by the rules of the game. If one team is breaking those rules more frequently than they other than they deserve and have earned those fouls to be called against them. The officials get paid to do their job. In my opinion, they need to do it right and without bias and the foul numbers become what they become. If the officials want to let certain things slide, then they need to confer with one another prior to the game and make sure it will be applied to BOTH teams (but this is a slippery slope because things start to become more subjective).
If VCU wanted to wreak HAVOC, they need to do so within the rules. If they wreak HAVOC outside the rules, then they "deserve" to have the fouls called on them. Example: If a team commits 35 fouls in a half and only 17 are called, the opposing coach still has a every right to be upset, although it would be more beneficial and constructive to be calmer & respectful with his demeanor when approaching the officials, his internal anger is still warranted/justified.
If the officials have a problem with a coach's attitude, in my opinion, it would be wise for them to speak with the coach about his attitude and at their discretion they have every right to call as many technical fouls as they deem necessary to remedy the issue if the issue with the coach persists, BUT NOT to skew the foul calling for the remainder of the game over a grudge regarding the coach's attitude.
All that I've listed above is why I (and others) take issue with the officials.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Dude, I agree with you... And I believe refs do intentionally work to keep the fouls even whether or not one team is really fouling more than the other.

At the end of the 1st half the fouls were VCU 12 - URI 7. It was pretty clear starting the 2nd half the refs made it a point to start to even the score. Fouls in the 2nd half were 13 URI - VCU 9. A couple of our fouls at the end of the game were intentional on our part, but still, I got the impression they were making sure the foul discrepancy was not too large.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Captainron@ wrote:Rhody got a lot of the calls in the first half and Hurley still went ballistic on the refs at the half. Not the best way to make friends and influence people.
I think there was something more to this than just the calls being made. It's obvious that Kersey has a giant ego and I think it was a clash of personalities with Dan.

One thing I was just thinking about.... I heard the Atlantic 10 has some new relationship with the ACC for the pool of refs that call their games. One problem with this is that we are seeing some refs we have never seen before, and they don't know Dan as well as some other refs. He's passionate, as we well know, but for the most part I don't think he is trying to show anyone up (unless he is intentionally looking to get hit with a T). He's just genuinely that competitive/animated. These new refs we are seeing likely mistake his antics as a lack of respect.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

One ref got fed up with DH very early in the game and was in a stare-down with him before the bench warning......I don't know if there is a history with that guy.....

......later in the game DH signaled to that ref for a time out and the ref absolutely ignored him......the ref at mid court called the time out and DH looked to the ref right near him and asked why he was ignored and the guy continued to ignore DH....DH was livid.....we got none of the 50/50 calls after that....and some fouls on us that may have been no-calls under better circumstances.....

....the refs don't lose a game for you......but they can make it much harder to win......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

For UMass we had:

Bill McCarthy http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/bill-mccarthy
John Hughes http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/john-hughes
Louie Androkakos http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/louie-andrakakos

Didn't lose because of these guys but they weren't good either... Chris DiSano thought so too.

eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hughes is horrendous. I think this was the first time he has done one of our games in quite a while. His speciality is America East games or even a little bit lower than that league.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Where are the GOOD refs?

There must be some out there.....

I know, too many games. The players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger. Not more skilled, however.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:Where are the GOOD refs?

There must be some out there.....

I know, too many games. The players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger. Not more skilled, however.
Also... Who the eff wants to be a ref? It's a pretty thankless job. I'd argue that the NCAA and NFL and other organizations should go to full-time, year-round refs on salaries just because it would probably attract much more qualified applicants.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

In reading these idiots' profiles, something sticks out: in their pictures, almost all of these frauds have dark hair, yet we see an awful lot of gray hair on the court. Just sayin'.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For sure, some of these guys are only out there to get a paycheck and some exercise, nothing more.

A lot of them are retired from their jobs, or should be anyway. And should be retired from reffing too.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

BOOM!! Hahaha... Ref's name is Tom Eades. These guys are getting out of control.

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We are all just there to see them!!!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

For LaSalle we had:

Ed Corbett http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/ed-corbett
Jerry Heater http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/jerry-heater
Lamar Simpson http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/lamar-simpson

A very experienced crew. I thought for the most part they did a pretty good job. Simpson called some questionable fouls on us early. The fouls were 5-1 in favor of La Salle early on. It evened out as it usually does.

I also felt like early on Jerrell Wright, #25 of La Salle, was just banging his way down to the basket. I thought it was beyond what was usually acceptable but it was never called a foul.

I've finally found where to get the refs names at the start of the game. What a difference! I was talking to Ed, Jerry, and Lamar like we were old buddies.

Reading back on some previous posts... seems that Corbett was the same referee that didn't make the call against UNC at the Garden in 2010. If I knew that I would have asked him about it. :)

Corbett also reffed the Delaware St games for us this year.
Last edited by RoadyJay 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

very low foul calls in the game, seemed like they just let the big guys go at it (which I prefer), only 30 fouls called in the game (16 on La Salle and 14 on URI) the biggest difference came at the foul line with URI getting 23 foul shots and La Salle only attempting 6
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

I thought the refs were invisible last night, which is exactly how it should be.
Go Rhody!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

For St. Bonaventure we had:

Tim Nestor http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/tim-nestor
Paul Faia http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/paul-faia
Tim Clougherty http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/tim-clougherty

Some tough calls early on had Hurley upset at Tim Clougherty. He got hit with a bench warning within the first 4 minutes of the game. Clougherty reffed our game against PC earlier this year. :roll:

Outside of that they pretty much let them play...

Until the last couple of minutes when the refs became a factor...

Editor of the The Bona Blog had this to say about a couple of calls down the stretch:
"The three second call against SBU with under 2 minutes left down a bucket. No one, ever, ever calls that in a big spot….I literally cannot recall the last time I saw that called in a big spot in my life. Listen, I don’t care if we had a guy in there for eight seconds, you don’t blow that whistle. That was a horse shit call and it was the second in a row against SBU. Prior to that they bailed out T.J. Buchanan after Cumberbatch had a steal and a lay-up coming. In all the two calls cost SBU four points in a row at the line. It basically ended the game prior to the Martin blocked three pointer."

Other notes: Faia called our game against St. Louis earlier this month
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe a sign that things are starting to turn around, is that we are finally getting some calls at the end of close games.

Let the opponents complain for a change.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RE: the Bona Blog comments. I agree that the T.J. call was a bit of a bailout call, but I hate the stupid mentality of "when it's a big spot, certain rules should not apply". Dude was camped in the paint. C'mon man.