Our Best Back To Back Recruiting Cycle Ever?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Re: Our Best Back To Back Recruiting Cycle Ever?

Unread post by Rammgr »

Coach Saulsbury spoke at Jiggy's funeral. it was quite moving & a tribute to who Jiggy was. If it hadn't been for Coach Saulsbury Jiggy might have left URI after his freshman yr.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think both Jiggy and Soup could have played in today's watered down NBA.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I was unaware Jiggy had died. Knew about Super John and Soup.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's Jiggy with the ball and Soup right behind him.
http://coxsportsonline.com/wp-content/u ... rCross.jpg
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Were Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw in the same class, or were they a year apart?

They came here the same year. Pappy, a McDonald's All America, came to play with Sly. Unfortunately, he was leaving.
Marc was Claude's cousin, I believe. I still have the plastic drinking cups with their pictures on them that they gave away during the season.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The two year stretch when we got Silk, Garrick, Green and Evans produced 6708 points and a sweet 16 appearance. That would have to be the best, I would think.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote:The two year stretch when we got Silk, Garrick, Green and Evans produced 6708 points and a sweet 16 appearance. That would have to be the best, I would think.
And Bonzie. I agrer
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the 2 year stretch when we got Tyson, Cat, ARD and P.Murph has to be right up there as well -- Elite Eight, 2 NBA draft picks, numerous individual records.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Look at the NCAA tournament appearances, go back a couple of years and you'll find good recruiting classes. Hopefully, that's where the program is now.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Marc Upshaw had a very good career until blowing out a knee at the Dunk. Back then ACLs ended careers. He was never the same player.