URI Salaries- Of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Salaries- Of Interest

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RoadyJay wrote:Also, no one said you can't judge Luke. However, just about all of the recruits he has been in on are underclassmen ('15s, '16s, '17s). I believe this is by design. We already had a good handle on the '14s so Luke took the underclassmen. The fruits of his recruiting labor won't be realized until next season and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This might be true. But, we heard about the '15s that Preston was recruiting. Why haven't we heard about any of the '15s that Murray is recruiting?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Billyboy +1
Maybe Murray is from the CFL school of secrecy?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Murray imo doesn't seem as outgoing as Preston was. Neither is Carr, although I've only met him once.

Luke is our stealth assistant.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

twisted3829 wrote:i believe assistant contracts are 1 year only (July 1 -> June 30) and are resigned each year (July 1)
That is the case most of the time; but, clearly is not written in stone, after, all the new proposed contract that Preston passed on was reported as guaranteed three years.

So,to me the question remains, when "mating season" was in full force for coaching jobs, why was Preston and URI apparently still negotiating for a contract beyond June of this year.?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ATPTourFan wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:I believe he did get paid 135k last season, prior to the recent promotion

Chris DiSano reported:

"URI assistant coaches were given raises entering the 2013-14 season per the terms of Hurley’s extension and, even prior to the last ditch offer to retain him, Murphy was an associate head coach in title and, according to my research, paid no lower than the sixth highest assistant’s salary in the Atlantic 10."
Thx, Jay, for saving me this copy paste from DiSano. It echoes my data earlier in this thread.

Ramster, contracts, and therefore salaries, of the assistant/associate coaches/DBOs are all renewed annually based on the University's fiscal calendar which begins July 1. Therefore, since July 1, 2013, Preston was compensated like an Associate even without the title. The highest paid Associate at a public A10 institution was Rhoades at VCU, a program with plenty of $ to spread around... and he made just $5k more than Preston.

The first post of this thread, because it does NOT include this fiscal year and this past season's compensation, is incredibly misleading. I'm thinking about editing that post to include what we know about this year's compensation (Preston, Carr, etc).

I agree with TruePoint that Preston's performance was handsomely rewarded even if the change in title came just weeks ago. He proved his worth and jumped over other known quantities on the staff, taking Bobby's place as the right hand man on the bench and on the salary report. URI pays its staff well, even if Dan's contract is not top-flight compared to the top third or even half of the conference.
ATP, edit it if you want, really think it is not necessary as the link of the article is there, and I believe that, if someone sends in printed information, it should not be censored. Not to speak of the fact that I posted a further fiscal year clarification.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Personally, I would never question Dan's commitment to his coaches, lets not forget he used the Rutgers situation to bolster their contracts and the school's facilities, and did very little to bolster his own salary. I find it hard to speculate that Preston's relationship with Dan was marred by the financials of PM's contract, it's not like PM didn't get an 80% increase in pay before anyone (BC Seagulls) came calling. I do believe, according to what we know, URI did compensate PM in a timely and fair manner, as ATP points out Murphy was one of the higher paid assistants in the A10 this year. If anything I find Murphy's leaving a distasteful decision on his part, I get that it's a business and we all have to take care of our own (self, family, etc.) so I don't hold it against anyone, but I'm very unhappy that Murphy left us, now, it is time to move on, I hope we get to play BC a couple of times and we eviscerate them.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

BTW, does anyone think we might be able to get permission from BC to interview Preston Murphy for the open job? He'd be a great fit. :)
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

McRam wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:i believe assistant contracts are 1 year only (July 1 -> June 30) and are resigned each year (July 1)
That is the case most of the time; but, clearly is not written in stone, after, all the new proposed contract that Preston passed on was reported as guaranteed three years.

So,to me the question remains, when "mating season" was in full force for coaching jobs, why was Preston and URI apparently still negotiating for a contract beyond June of this year.?
Not trying to be a jerk (I now feel I have to preface everything this way), but I'm not understanding what you're getting at here. Preston was under contract, and URI tried to address his increasing value by promoting him after the season, which is when that stuff usually happens. Right? Or do you disagree?

Help me out with what you think they should have done differently and how that would have changed the way things ended up.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

he was the 6th highest paid assistant and we were not even the 6th best team any of his years in Kingston. he was clearly paid very competitively vis a vis the rest of the conference. if someone wants to overpay and double his salary it doesnt mean URI was asleep at the wheel. life will go on without PM....and he may be back on our sidelines at some point in the future.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

rambone 78 wrote:Murray imo doesn't seem as outgoing as Preston was. Neither is Carr, although I've only met him once.

Luke is our stealth assistant.
Preston is definitely more outgoing than Luke and Preston appears to make his recruiting more visible. The question I would ask is what advantage is gained by being more open/visible with your recruiting? Help me out but other than giving us fans insight (which is nice but certainly not required) and self promotion, I'm not sure I see the benefit. In fact, it probably has the possibility of hurting more than helping.

Maybe this is just Luke's style... But I've definitely seen Luke with recruits at various events and we do get a trickle of information on Twitter at times.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

When I first spoke to Dan after he was hired, he mentioned his
coaching and staff would be the most transparent ever.
It certainly was that way in his first year.
I think after the realization that some players were overhyped by him and others,
they've circled the wagons a bit.
In today's recruiting, there are no secrets. Players, their friends, coaches, and even parents
are on Twitter.
Lots of information out there for anyone to find.
If Luke wants to think stealth works, great. I think knowing who the targets are
juices up the fanbase.
They can't talk about specific recruits, but nothing is stopping associates,
friends or relatives from mentioning them.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I agree with RoadyJay. Do people really think that the coaches owe fans every little piece of information they discuss behind closed doors? Or every trip they make to see a recruit? Of course not.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Certainly agree there is much more information out there these days... Yet, I'm sure there are times that we don't know or find out late. It's fun to follow the process of who we are looking at but honestly the nature of the beast is we offer many more than actually commit. So when you count how many in a row that we offer and they commit elsewhere that is not very juicing to me.. haha

I just want results and I'll start to judge Luke on his results this Fall and next Spring.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Taylor Swift wrote:I agree with RoadyJay. Do people really think that the coaches owe fans every little piece of information they discuss behind closed doors? Or every trip they make to see a recruit? Of course not.
The coaches leak zero information on recruits. It's fans of the schools and friends/coaches/family/acquaintances of the recruit who post it on social media. Preston never posted anything about a recruit. He can't, it's against the rules. My point is, Preston's recruits were revealed on social media by some or all of the above mentioned. Luke's have not. What does that lead you to believe?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Believe me, coaches talk about recruits. They just don't
put it in writing.
Too much info out there for real secrets. How many times has
someone tweeted," player x was offered by URI per his coach"?
These AAU and high school/prep coaches love this stuff. It spotlights
their player, themselves and their program.
I think Billyboy's point is well taken.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:I agree with RoadyJay. Do people really think that the coaches owe fans every little piece of information they discuss behind closed doors? Or every trip they make to see a recruit? Of course not.
The coaches leak zero information on recruits. It's fans of the schools and friends/coaches/family/acquaintances of the recruit who post it on social media. Preston never posted anything about a recruit. He can't, it's against the rules. My point is, Preston's recruits were revealed on social media by some or all of the above mentioned. Luke's have not. What does that lead you to believe?
Doesn't lead me to believe much. I've personally seen him with recruits and I know he is out traveling and recruiting. As I said, I will judge him on his results and not tweets.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

TruePoint wrote:
McRam wrote:

Not trying to be a jerk (I now feel I have to preface everything this way), but I'm not understanding what you're getting at here. Preston was under contract, and URI tried to address his increasing value by promoting him after the season, which is when that stuff usually happens. Right? Or do you disagree?

Help me out with what you think they should have done differently and how that would have changed the way things ended up.
Hey True Point, No need to preface your comments "with not wanting to be a jerk" (that is usually my line) No offense is taken to anything you have said, we just disagree-

Hindsight is 100%, but since you asked, ..... we should have closed the deal when he was promoted to AHC.

I think that if a coach is under contract until June 30, and he is a core piece of your puzzle, you get the renegotiation done sooner rather than later. (Not during a period of time when there are coaching vacancies and it is LOI time.) Of course, that is a two way street, and if Preston did not want to commit before June 30, I guess we will never know.

Obviously, if we offered Preston a three year contract after the BC offer, then there was nothing stopping us from doing it before the BC offer, , regardless of the "usual" one year deals.

So, let's just speculate that Preston was given the offer (that we countered with after the BC offer) when he was promoted to AHC, ..... do you think the odds are he would have signed the contract? And with a signed three year contract, and the job security that afforded Preston, do you think Preston would even motivated to talk.?

And, if he did talk, do we think that BC would have bought out Preston's contract with URI for three years?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam, my assumption would also be that while Murphy was probably under contract until June 30, there probably wasn't any termination or leaving penalty in the contract. Meaning, if URI fired him for any reason, they probably didn't have to give him severance, and likewise, he probably didn't have any sort of non-compete clause.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

SGreenwell wrote:McRam, my assumption would also be that while Murphy was probably under contract until June 30, there probably wasn't any termination or leaving penalty in the contract. Meaning, if URI fired him for any reason, they probably didn't have to give him severance, and likewise, he probably didn't have any sort of non-compete clause.
sorry, not making myself clear, i am speculating that if Murphy had a three year contract effective from the date he was made AHC, it would have locked him up when BC came calling

I agree that the period of time from now until June 30 are largely irrelevant, I am assuming that there is at least a handshake agreement that Preston would not be working on this year's real uri recruits that he worked on for uri.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If PM stayed and URI has another bad year, fans would be calling for PM to replace DH. PM was forced on DH by TB when DH was hired. As URI fans we all love PM, but his appointment was a shotgun marriage for DH. The fact that PM appeared to be doing such a great job may have made DH even more uncomfortable. PM may have sensed this and decided to leave much to TB's chagrin.
NCAAs or Bust!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody72 wrote:If PM stayed and URI has another bad year, fans would be calling for PM to replace DH. PM was forced on DH by TB when DH was hired. As URI fans we all love PM, but his appointment was a shotgun marriage for DH. The fact that PM appeared to be doing such a great job may have made DH even more uncomfortable. PM may have sensed this and decided to leave much to TB's chagrin.
Or everybody could be abducted by UFOs tonight in their sleep, which is just as likely.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We need to call Oliver Stone and see what he thinks about all of this.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Does that mean Costner does something other than sports mo----oh, never mind.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote:Hindsight is 100%, but since you asked, ..... we should have closed the deal when he was promoted to AHC.

I think that if a coach is under contract until June 30, and he is a core piece of your puzzle, you get the renegotiation done sooner rather than later. (Not during a period of time when there are coaching vacancies and it is LOI time.) Of course, that is a two way street, and if Preston did not want to commit before June 30, I guess we will never know.

Obviously, if we offered Preston a three year contract after the BC offer, then there was nothing stopping us from doing it before the BC offer, , regardless of the "usual" one year deals.

So, let's just speculate that Preston was given the offer (that we countered with after the BC offer) when he was promoted to AHC, ..... do you think the odds are he would have signed the contract? And with a signed three year contract, and the job security that afforded Preston, do you think Preston would even motivated to talk.?

And, if he did talk, do we think that BC would have bought out Preston's contract with URI for three years?
I see what you're saying. I guess my first thought is that it would be unprecedented to have done what you're suggesting, and I wonder if URI could get away with something like that as a preemptive move where you can't point to a real threat. My second thought is that I don't know if that would have made much of a difference, anyways. There are never clauses in assistants' contracts that would prevent them from taking another job for more money. I know technically Preston's move wasn't a promotion in title, but I think in every other respect it would be viewed as such in the industry.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:I believe he did get paid 135k last season, prior to the recent promotion

Chris DiSano reported:

"URI assistant coaches were given raises entering the 2013-14 season per the terms of Hurley’s extension and, even prior to the last ditch offer to retain him, Murphy was an associate head coach in title and, according to my research, paid no lower than the sixth highest assistant’s salary in the Atlantic 10."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So why didn't we give him the promotion when we gave him the $135K? Why not give him the title along with the money? What is there to lose?

And when does entering the 2013-2014 season start? Would that mean he got the $135K in October of 2013? Then he gets promoted to Assistant Head Coach and he gets no salary increase? Huh?

Something doesn't make sense here to me.
That much is clear.

What difference would it have made if they had named him AHC sooner? He'd still be here? The fact is URI treated Preston very fairly. He didn't leave for BC because he wasn't treated well or didn't get along with the rest of the staff. He left for BC because that is what coaches do. Especially young coaches trying to build their career. They lengthen their resumes and get experience recruiting and coaching in different environments and get exposure to other coaches and ADs in other conferences, and if they can get a $100K raise in the process, even better.

Everyone is entitled to feel how they want about Preston leaving. For me personally, I hate it. I love Preston and I hate BC and this is just the worst, emotionally. But we aren't doing ourselves any favors by ignoring reality. This is the ultimate case of "it is what it is." This is just the way things work. I really don't want to come off as smug, honestly, but not being able to accept that comes off like a temper tantrum, where you want what you want and aren't willing to listen to reason about why you can't have it. And making your own school out to be the bad guys or like they dropped the ball when they were incredibly fair to Preston and obviously wanted to keep him and probably feel the same way about him leaving as we do, is just sad to me.

Preston is a Ram for life and we are all disappointed to see him leave. But URI has to move on and it would probably help if the athletic department and the program and the staff had the support of the fan base and we were all rowing in the same direction for once, instead of them having to navigate this situation and deal with irrational fans giving them shit at the same time.
Thanks for the condescending sermon. Makes me feel great this morning.

Simple questions:
Question 1: Exactly when did URI increase Preston's salary from $79k to $135k?
Question 2: We know the promotion was announced on April, 2, 2014. Why wasn't the promotion announced at the same time as the salary increase took place?

Does anyone know the answer to these questions?

Can someone ask dan or Thor themselves?

PS.......I do not think that these are irratinpal questions, or dumb questions, or questions meant to intentionally make the athletic department look bad, or questions out of an irrational behavior towards Preston leaving......just questions please spare me any more lectures
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1. July 1, 2013
2. They are two different things

Nothing in my prior response was condescending.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody72 wrote:If PM stayed and URI has another bad year, fans would be calling for PM to replace DH. PM was forced on DH by TB when DH was hired. As URI fans we all love PM, but his appointment was a shotgun marriage for DH. The fact that PM appeared to be doing such a great job may have made DH even more uncomfortable. PM may have sensed this and decided to leave much to TB's chagrin.
Wow, looking for attention 72? Amazing creative writing!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:1. July 1, 2013
2. They are two different things

Nothing in my prior response was condescending.
Your response felt very condescending to me, not surprising that you don't believe your response was not.

Response to Question 2 is not an answer - I don't care if you believe they are two different things or not.

Just why wasn't the promotion to assistant head coach that reportedly took place when the pay was increased from $79k to $135k on July 1, 2014 not announced to the public until April 2, 2014, a full 9 months later? And 1 day before jim Christian was announced to the public as BC head coach on April 3, 2014?

Anyone?
Dan?
Thorr?
Dooley?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Goddamn it ramster. The raise took place on July 1, 2013. Twenty thirteen. Last year. Not 2014. I'm not being condescending, I am just stunned by how sense you are being. The raise was effective last season. The promotion to AHC would have been effective for next season. So they are two different, unrelated things. That is an answer.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Goddamn it ramster. The raise took place on July 1, 2013. Twenty thirteen. Last year. Not 2014. I'm not being condescending, I am just stunned by how sense you are being. The raise was effective last season. The promotion to AHC would have been effective for next season. So they are two different, unrelated things. That is an answer.
No need to swear at me.
Still did not answer my question. You may think you are but you are not.

I wish that uri had made preston the title of assistant head coach when his pay was increased from $79k to $135k on July 1, 2013 an increase of $56k. One of our respected tweeters said he had the title internally just not announced. If true I don't see why it wasn't announced until April 2.
If not true then I would question what harm it would have done to announce a promotion along with a very nice and overdue (IMHO) salary increase. Also odd to announce a promotion with NO salary increase 9 months later.
In business the best, biggest salary increases are associated with promotions - that is how the salary increase gets approved through HR. What harm would it have done to have announced the pay increase and promotion at the same time? Would seem like an obvious win win to me. At lease Preston got to be assistant head coach for two weeks - wonder if he go thus new business cards.

Just makes little sense to me.
Last edited by ramster 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Because he wasn't promoted to AHC until nine months later (or at least he wasn't promoted for the beginning of last year, it may have happened earlier than 4/2 - I'm not privy to that - but it would have been a matter of days, not months). Hence the two different things.

I don't know if I misread your post originally or if you edited, but he was promoted going into last year - from third assistant to first assistant. The AHC title came later, but is more of a ceremonial title anyways. I guess my question to you is what difference would it have made? I think you can obviously sense that I'm frustrated by the line of questioning here, but it isn't personal and I'm not trying to be condescending. I just disagree with what I think your premise is, and I'm not doing a good job explaining why I disagree without you taking it like I'm condescending to you. That's my bad.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

ramster, those are fair questions, but I really can't see how they lead Murphy to leave the program. It sounds like we are all upset by it. Some more than others, but nobody is happy about it that's for sure. I certainly don't think we are doomed without him, but for continuity sake I would like us to hold onto our staff. And of course, PM is our own and well liked, so it hurts worse. I'm just really not sure we will ever be able to accurately assign blame, but its hard to see where an 80% increase in pay, by all accounts before anyone came calling (BC) would be a slap in the face. Lets take some time and let the dust settle, what do you say? Also I feel like some of us, myself included, expect a certain person to be condescending and maybe reading too much into what is being said at times. That's on everybody. Lets ratchet down our own sensitivities and give others a chance to evolve without pretense, or else we will probably stay bitter and continue to fill each other's expectations. I just hope he can see where he has been condescending in the past and can admit to himself that it happens. We all can be condescending at times, like I said its a work in progress.
Go Rhody!!!
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

for what it is worth...here is an observation from an amateur coach in the Boston area...

The BC take was the team sucked because Donahue did not recruit locally. Seriously? BC hasn't had a local player of note since when? Dana Barros? BC shares its practice facility with the women's team because hockey rules and they use Conte forum for practice. Plus the volleyball team uses the same gym that the basketball team practices in so they are like vagabonds. Most of the players are or have transferred. I don't see how Christian will last. NO TALENT. By the time he recruits them it will be too late. BABC has stated that BC has no relationship with them. The one local kid BC does have I coached against. He is and was a stiff. He is a soon to be 23 year old junior !

Hiring a young go getter like Preston as the coach would have been a better move than hiring him as a recruiter. This team won't win with X's & O's. Even if they are motivated they won't win. And they will not get the talent in needed to win in time to save the situation...
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhodekill wrote:for what it is worth...here is an observation from an amateur coach in the Boston area...

The BC take was the team sucked because Donahue did not recruit locally. Seriously? BC hasn't had a local player of note since when? Dana Barros? BC shares its practice facility with the women's team because hockey rules and they use Conte forum for practice. Plus the volleyball team uses the same gym that the basketball team practices in so they are like vagabonds. Most of the players are or have transferred. I don't see how Christian will last. NO TALENT. By the time he recruits them it will be too late. BABC has stated that BC has no relationship with them. The one local kid BC does have I coached against. He is and was a stiff. He is a soon to be 23 year old junior !

Hiring a young go getter like Preston as the coach would have been a better move than hiring him as a recruiter. This team won't win with X's & O's. Even if they are motivated they won't win. And they will not get the talent in needed to win in time to save the situation...
Well, BC did recruit Herren and Billy Curley since Barros. The problem was the infamous 1997 Jim O'Brien class that had Elton Tyler, DePina, and Bradley. Bradley ended up in the NBA but at the time that was a loaded local class led by DePina and Tyler. Admissions rejected them without O"brien knowing and that essentially blew up every local relationship including with BABC and Papile. Skinner was just great with Cooley and Coen at going out and getting under the radar guys who would be come POYs in the Big East and ACC. Troy Bell, Craig Smith, Jared Dudley. Even Reggie Jackson was first team All ACC. It's just not as easy as he made it look. Donahue failed at it big time while all these prep schools are pumping out major talent and I think the new AD put two and two together. Christian has proven to be a pretty good coach when given talent and BC bucked up for guys who can provide him that in Spinelli and PM. It's not a terrible plan. In fact, I think it is a very good one. Time will tell.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if they can't get talent in there with Spinelli and PM recruiting, then I agree Christian won't last, and they will all be looking for work in a few years.

The problem with BC basketball, is that no one up there gives two shits about it. If that doesn't change....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Here's an interesting question:

Since Preston, when asked, said his leaving wasn't about the money, what would happen if in a few years, URI wants to bring him back?

Would he even come back as coach? Were his problems with people in the athletic dept, coaching staff, or administration?

If it's with another coach or coaches, then I would think he would want to come back. If it's someone else who is still here, then would he?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:Well, if they can't get talent in there with Spinelli and PM recruiting, then I agree Christian won't last, and they will all be looking for work in a few years.

The problem with BC basketball, is that no one up there gives two shits about it. If that doesn't change....
I agree with that but it's a problem they've had for their entire existence. They got to #2 in the country under Troy Bell. #2 in football with Matt Ryan. And it still wasn't more than blip on the radar that has the Cs, Sox, etc. I mean, that's in the 2000s. Not ancient history. They have to sell what they can sell. A great degree. The ACC. Going to the Carrier Dome, Cameron Indoor, etc. They probably won't ever get the guys like Wayne Seldon or Nerlens Noel. But, Terrance Mann types? I don't think that is a stretch. Jeremy Miller committed to them with a coach out the door just because of the school and conference.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Good for BC. Like PC, I hope that the both of them fall flat on their faces and never get up.
If Preston Murphy ever returns to URI -- and at the moment, I could care less, URI has a coach -- do you really think that the binding relationship is going to be with the present staff?? His relationship is with Thorr Bjorn. And, what if, Coach Hurley moves on after he's had a successful run at URI, there are better candidates than Preston Murphy. As much as I LIKED what he did for URI, I'm sure there are a dozen-or-so head coaching prospects out there who are as good or better…...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BC's basketball facilities are most likely the worst in the ACC. Sort of like the Fordham of the ACC.

But it's still the ACC. There's that.

That apathetic fan base is the worst, however.

At least their AD is trying to revive the program with the new staff. Just like us.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bressler, PM's strength is his recruiting ability.

Nobody really knows how good he'd be at X's and O's, etc.

I doubt he's anywhere near qualified to be a head coach yet.

Imo, this move to BC as basically 2nd assistant, actually sets him back as a head coach candidate.

I'm not saying this as criticism either, just an observation.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:Here's an interesting question:

Since Preston, when asked, said his leaving wasn't about the money, what would happen if in a few years, URI wants to bring him back?

Would he even come back as coach? Were his problems with people in the athletic dept, coaching staff, or administration?

If it's with another coach or coaches, then I would think he would want to come back. If it's someone else who is still here, then would he?

rambone, I'm well aware as to what Murphy's strengths are, also the things he needs to work on in order to lead a program someday. Also, I've seen him at numerous practices teaching. I've seen him on the bench during games. He is everything you'd want in an assistant. My point is that he's gone, and re-read what I wrote about "relationships" in response to the hypotheticals you posed.

"Good for BC. Like PC, I hope that the both of them fall flat on their faces and never get up.
If Preston Murphy ever returns to URI -- and at the moment, I could care less, URI has a coach -- do you really think that the binding relationship is going to be with the present staff?? His relationship is with Thorr Bjorn. And, what if, Coach Hurley moves on after he's had a successful run at URI, there are better candidates than Preston Murphy. As much as I LIKED what he did for URI, I'm sure there are a dozen-or-so head coaching prospects out there who are as good or better……"
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't for a second believe "this isn't about the money" phrase from Preston. The salary increase is huge when compared to what Preston was making just two years ago. The fact that it is guaranteed for three years also gives him and his family a lot of security. He has seen twice in the last five years what can happen to assistants. When Skinner was let go by BC, they dumped PM as well. When Baron was let go at URI, there was no given that Murphy would be kept. If money and security were not factors and it was something else, why in the world would Preston need to have some time to think things over after URI made a counter. If he had major issues with Hurley or the rest of the staff or AD, that would not have changed. If that were the deciding factor, he could have immediately declined the counter as it would not have resolved his issues.

In my view, Preston's comments about it not being about the money were not true. It was just PR cover.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

New info via Bill Koch in SC Independent says Preston was already operating under a TWO-year deal this past season which began this current fiscal year (July 1 2013-June 30 2014). So in addition to URI paying Preston a top 5 salary among assistants/associates in the A10, he had added security of a multiple year deal at URI and nothing to worry about next season/year.

There's information out there that Preston had been very close to accepting USF job last year and he could have leveraged that offer to get the multi-year provision with URI -- something very few A10 assistants/associates enjoy.

Clearly, there wasn't any kind of buy-out clause in the existing two-year deal Preston signed or the three-year deal that was offered and turned down last week.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Preston's not dumb. I'm sure he's confident he can recruit to BC and further advance his career. Best of luck but the week long Preston vigil should be over at this point. If Hurley can't overcome the loss of an assistant (one he never originally planned on having), then we have much bigger problems.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ATP Thanks for the update. Beginning to make more sense now.

It sounds as if the "contract" is not really binding on anyone as far as the actual employment commitment on both sides. More like an "AT WILL" arrangement?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Because he wasn't promoted to AHC until nine months later (or at least he wasn't promoted for the beginning of last year, it may have happened earlier than 4/2 - I'm not privy to that - but it would have been a matter of days, not months). Hence the two different things.

I don't know if I misread your post originally or if you edited, but he was promoted going into last year - from third assistant to first assistant. The AHC title came later, but is more of a ceremonial title anyways. I guess my question to you is what difference would it have made? I think you can obviously sense that I'm frustrated by the line of questioning here, but it isn't personal and I'm not trying to be condescending. I just disagree with what I think your premise is, and I'm not doing a good job explaining why I disagree without you taking it like I'm condescending to you. That's my bad.
No I did not edit my original post.

Whether it made a difference or not is not a big deal - it is simply a question. I do think that if you are going to give a huge raise like that you should announce it and provide the promotion all at the same time. Could this have helped potential recruits celebrate with PM? He has a ton of respect from peers, players, recruits, etc so I just don't get the separation of the two events. Just that simple.
I never knew he got the raise in the first place until the Boston College thing popped up and our investigative reporters dug it up, etc.

All strange to me, nobody has been able to provide an answer to me, only speculation, theories, and "what would it have mattered" type questions.

He's gone, it's over, my question will live on unanswered.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It would be extremely strange for a school to announce they gave a raise to an assistant coach. A promotion, yes. But I don't think schools ever even announce what a coach makes, let alone announce they gave someone a raise. I could be wrong, but just don't recall ever seeing it done.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:
In my view, Preston's comments about it not being about the money were not true.

Exactly. I don't even know where the board discussion is on this at the moment, but Preston seemed overly concerned about how this would make him look. Why? This is a business. There's nothing wrong with making a business decision based on money and other security. It doesn't take away anything he did as a player or coach here. There's no great mystery or scandal that forced his choice.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think, as The Godfather said, Preston was very
concerned about his legacy.
He had many personal relationships with people here, over his many years
at URI.
He didn't want to appear to be a mercenary, a traitor, or the bad guy.
I don't see what's difficult to understand. The ties were deep here.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If it is not the money, it is what he can buy with the money. Otherwise, he should have stayed at URI because if they are successful he could have probably stepped up to head coach because Hurley will take the money too.