Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Hurley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody72 wrote:I'm encouraged that fans are not a bunch of apologists and excuse makers.

TJ never expected to play PG; it is not his fault that he was tossed into this role. We need to applaud his effort.
The above quote is presented without comment.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bobby was important at URI. He is also a good coach, that is why he got his own program. But the idea that Bobby leaving is why we are 2-8 in the A10 is wrong, and the idea that Bobby was a recruiting dynamo is fantasy. Fact (as you would say).
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Train wreck city. Wow. Spent far too long on the roads today, avoiding assholes that don't know how to drive in the snow.

What was that abomination I saw today?

Matthews, Martin, and a bunch of low end NEC players. Well not Gil, but he can't stay out of foul trouble.

I'm not going to pile on Dan like a lot of you are. I refuse to believe he's a shitty bench coach.

But he'd better recruit, and bring in some guys who can play, or this shit show isn't getting any better.

If he gets more talented players in here, and THEN can't win, then it's time to judge him.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I am going to reduce from 2 season tickets (used to be 3) down to probably a mini plan, at the most. There is more to my decision than the play of the team, but if they were showing significant improvement I would hold on to season tickets. But they are not improving, and things aren't looking all that bright for next year, unfortunately.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I just talked to a friend in RI. I never heard a guy so down on URI basketball as he sounded, he told me he walked out of today's game at halftime and is now thinks he will not buy season tickets next year. And if he doesn't buy season's ticket, it makes little sense for him to donate to the program. This from a 18 year veteran as a season ticket holder and donor.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obie, he's not the only one for sure.

You would think this team, warts and all, would at least continue to improve as this season went along.

It seemed like they were, even in fits and starts, until today. They went so far backward today, it's like they haven't learned anything.

That's what's so discouraging.

We still have EC and Hassan. Gil for one more year. The cupboard isn't bare, but it's nowhere near adequate.

If recruiting falls flat for next year, then I can see a mass exodus from the season ticket holders.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Anyone who walks out of a game at halftime isn't a real fan.
I don't care how long he's followed the team or what he's contributed.

As for Dan's bench coaching, I have to say, it's rare that we've come out of a timeout
and done anything positive.
I've always believed that was the hallmark of a great coach.
I remember, Kraft, Mullaney and Gavitt calling a timeout and completely changing the
game.
We get a timeout and get a turnover or a bad shot.
I'm not happy, but I'll be there Wednesday night and the rest of the home games.
And I won't be leaving at halftime, either.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Obadiah wrote:I just talked to a friend in RI. I never heard a guy so down on URI basketball as he sounded, he told me he walked out of today's game at halftime and is now thinks he will not buy season tickets next year. And if he doesn't buy season's ticket, it makes little sense for him to donate to the program. This from a 18 year veteran as a season ticket holder and donor.
No offense, Obadiah, but what is your point?
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Sorry Adam, never responded to your earlier post. I agree on the selling the program point. That was necessary to rile up the bunches, sell season tickets, and generate some real hype. However, I also would've understood if he had said, "It's pretty barren here, it may take some time, a few years even, to truly compete at the highest level of the A-10." Heck, I went into every game last year without expectations. I knew last year would be rough, which is why I didn't complain about a single thing. I understand what it takes to rebuild a college program. The issue I had was Dan and the staff saying, without a doubt, that things would be different next year (being this year). I was kind of shocked, but believed him. I think he could've handled the expectations part A LOT better. I think that's the reason everyone is jumping down his throat this year. He did promise those things. He said those things. He meant those things. That's where my gripe is with him, and I'm guessing a lot of others on the boards as well.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, you would think Dan would send in plays out of timeouts, that utilize our best players.

Does make you wonder. I do think that this staff is woefully short on experience. That includes Dan.

He needs help, bring in an experienced x and o guy.

No matter what happens, there needs to be some serious teaching and training going on this offseason.

As for recruits, Dan needs to call Allstate. You know, the "good hands" people.

Most of our players have stone hands. You know what that means?

They are lousy players!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BPR 2010, and you can't put the blame on this lousy season, all at the feet of one Jordan Hare.

I was told [by someone very close to the program], during one of my recent visits to the Mews for the radio show, that Hare not being here was the main reason we aren't very good.

Yes, his loss hurt, and it's cost us a few games, but it's certainly NOT the only reason. We have several players on this team, Hare or no Hare, that simply aren't very good.

Showing flashes of good play isn't enough. There has to be some consistency there. There isn't any.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BPR2010 wrote:Sorry Adam, never responded to your earlier post. I agree on the selling the program point. That was necessary to rile up the bunches, sell season tickets, and generate some real hype. However, I also would've understood if he had said, "It's pretty barren here, it may take some time, a few years even, to truly compete at the highest level of the A-10." Heck, I went into every game last year without expectations. I knew last year would be rough, which is why I didn't complain about a single thing. I understand what it takes to rebuild a college program. The issue I had was Dan and the staff saying, without a doubt, that things would be different next year (being this year). I was kind of shocked, but believed him. I think he could've handled the expectations part A LOT better. I think that's the reason everyone is jumping down his throat this year. He did promise those things. He said those things. He meant those things. That's where my gripe is with him, and I'm guessing a lot of others on the boards as well.
Yeah, that all makes sense to me, and I don't blame you for feeling that way at all. I agree that I would have also understood and been fine if he had come out and said those things last year to. Whether the majority of the fan base would agree with us or not, who knows.

I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that maybe Dan wishes he had handled it differently as well. No doubt he is still a young and inexperienced coach at this level, so maybe he mishandled the situation.

What remains to be seen is how he responds from here on out, and where he leads this program over the next 3-4 years. We could all look back at these last two seasons and laugh once we're at the top of the A10, or we could all look back and say the warning signs were there in Year 2 and we should have known better.

We shall see...some people (and I don't mean you with this next part) seem to be on the side of having their mind made up that he isn't the coach they thought he was. I still have faith for now.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I don't get the comparisons to last years team. The comparison I prefer is the one of year two in the DH era, are we better(trending upward)in the A-10 stack? Answer, no......Lots of reasons I suppose, easy to point them out.....I do think, as I posted somewhere here before, that DH under estimated the competitive level of the A-10 in general,and the early talent level he brought in didn't match that level of play. The other programs are not going to stand down cause any Coach named Hurley is in the house. He will and the staff pull up their big boy pants and evaluate/reevaluate their collective approach to all the facets of the program. The Hurley wand I referred to earlier has to be put away. From here out our coach is just another Smith and Jones......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Couldn't say it better myself Adam. My rule of thumb with anything related to rebuilding in college is 3 years. You're able to take guys you brought in for year 1, and most of the time, are upperclassmen by year 3. I feel like once you have your own guys, that's when performance needs to hold a greater weight than "potential". Inheriting players you may not necessary want or like, can be difficult to handle and most of the time don't bring you great results. While I did expect more this year, I'm not jumping ship because of it. Really thinking of dropping my season tickets however. A bit easier to pick and choose games rather than get saddled with tickets you can't get rid of if something comes up.

Problem now is, will Dan get enough of his own guys in to truly change things. Still raising my eyebrows with that portion of his coaching.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, when it comes to bringing in his own guys, Hurley is really still in year one. Last year is almost a throwout, with no talent and losing Holton and Billy.

Hass, EC, and Butler are frosh, and it's the transfers' first year actually playing competitive ball here.

Of course, the transfers really aren't even his own guys. They were brought in to help fill a roster.

Yes he used his contacts to bring them in, but he didn't have a lot time.

For 2014, any 4 year recruits will be his own guys, to develop from day one.

We are still waiting for that, though. By the 2015-16 season, we will have the evidence we need, to judge just how successful Hurley is, and will be here.

EC and Hassan will be juniors, and by then they should have plenty of talent around them. And hopefully an NCAA tourney berth also.

If not, let the dogs loose.....
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Iggy1979 wrote:What players did Bobby recruit to URI ?
Butler and Minnis. Wowie wow.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow really? Only 3 years? Then its NCAA berth or "let the dogs loose". I find that more than a bit ridiculous.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I really don't want anymore of "Dan's guys". Munford and Gil played for him in high school. Think about that, basically he is responsible for 6/8 years of their basketball playing development. Are they good players? Yes, but they leave a lot to be desired. Jr and Biggie are guys he was supposedly familiar with from his hs days.

It's not encouraging that he didn't have some relationship with a recruit for this year regardless of uri or Wagner. Hassan was a guy he had, why not a 2014 guy he had built a relationship with?

Not coaching plays out of timeouts against our peer teams and appearing to be a team with a short leash is inexcusable. College bball is denounced for having the coaches too controlling. Here that is not the case. Nowhere is a coach more important than in college.

Idk why people hark for the late 90's?? That's nearly 20 years ago. The stars aligned and we ended up with an incredibly talented program for a moment. I would be happy for this program to have '05-'10 talent at this point. Those guys you knew were good. Coach sucked. Presumably with our star coach now those 05-10 teams could get off the bubble. I thought some of those were absolutely robbed.

Beg for Tyson and cat all you want. That's a seriously talented backcourt. Probably won't happen again. Like saint joes won't have Nelson and west dominating again. It's also not that hard to have success without the absolute best guys on the floor every time.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Should've clarified, 3rd year of having your own guys. I don't think that's ridiculous at all. I think by your 3rd year, where your first recruits are now upperclassmen, you should be at a level high enough to be considered for a tournament berth. Really don't see why that's crazy at all. Rod made the Indiana comparison with Tom Crean. Look at Ed Cooley this year. By the time you've gone through a full recruiting cycle, it should be a consistent thing. That is, if you're a good enough coach.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

All I can say is that my enthusiasm is nearing an all time low...even lower than the Baron free fall February's. From a URI basketball perspective I am becoming depressed, because I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. Besides EC, HM and GB the players are way over their head and need to improve a huge percentage that I fear is not possible.

That being said...all our hopes lie in the late signing period...oh goody! We will live and die with this recruiting class...if it's a miss, we are in for at least 1-2 years more of crap, which just makes it harder and harder to recruit against...momentum in either direction is hard to stop. Dan struck while the iron was hot with the good press and excitement that comes with a coaching change...and got EC and HM. Now reality has set in on the recruiting trail...we have a coach with 1 winning season in 4...good luck selling that.

I guess the honeymoon is over.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thanks 2010 for figuring out what I meant.

Letting the dogs loose, was a figure of speech.

By then, we will have a body of work by Dan, that can and should be judged on it's merits.

We know he gets a pass now, on some things out of his control. Or at least I give him a pass.

If he can't bring in enough talent to win in 2 more years, or can't coach that talent, then there will be no more excuses. At all.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Iggy1979 wrote:
What players did Bobby recruit to URI ?
Butler and Minnis. Wowie wow."

What are you talking about????
Preston recruited Butler and Dan already knew Minnis from his St. Benedicts days.
Lots of misinformation on here.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......he gets a pass now.....well, it's down to 1/2 a pass and that doesn't get ya on the subway.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, well it's true, the honeymoon's been over for a while.

The radio and TV show will be interesting this week.

Maybe Don and Steve should interview each other Monday night. Dan needs to be out on the road.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Im not of the sky is falling ilk as most of us are but regardless of whether of not everyone thinks this is sac-religious to say, it needs to be said.

EC and Hassan are the only players on this team going forward that are worth anything. X is graduating but its quite obvious that if hes the best player on you're team, then you're team is going absolutely nowhere. Rod, when i hear you constantly compliment X it makes me sick and makes me truly question why i have respect for your basketball intelligence. He is so beyond over-rated its unreal. He shoots too much, he considers himself to be the leader of this team yet i dont see it. what i see is a sg who is selfish. who often tries to take the ball to the basket almost to prove a point that he can, meanwhile hes taking on 3 defenders and missing multiple open teammates. his defense is subpar, his shooting is mediocre, three point shot is decent but his free throw shooting sucks. how many times this season have we had important free throw attempts coming and x either misses the front end of a 1 and 1, like he did 3 times today, or he ends up only hitting 1 of 2. there have been multiple games this season alone that x has had the chance to ice the game but ends up only hitting one free throw. there were 3 of em in a row. Remember the St. louis game where he missed a free throw, then committed a terrible foul to allow slu to take the lead and then came down the court out of control and flailing, begging the refs to bail him out to no avail?? how about two games later against george mason at the end of the second half with x at the line and a chance to go up 4 and ice the game and he missed the free throw again, allowing mason to tie it up on the next possession and send it to ot, oh yea dont forget he took a terrible shot without looking for any teammates at the buzzer too. luckily we won that game. but the record speaks for itself, x would be a good bench player on vcu. literally probably there seventh guy. thats all you need to know right there. he is a high volume, low reward player, with terrible leadership skills. when the going gets tough and the pressure rises, he wilts.

they need help and they need it everywhere. I think EC and hassan have nba written all over them. Believe it or not, i think that if hassan adds some offense that he actually has more potential then ec. I can see hassan as a 20 yr old senior at 6'9 245 averaging 16points 11rebs and 4.5blocks per game. think about the fact that hes gonna be playing the first half of his senior year and he wont even be able to drink legally. the potential is thru the roof. he reminds me of a guy making his name in the nba now after always being under appreciated, Kenneth Faried.

That being said, these two have talent that we havent seen around here in a long time, would be a shame to waste it. by the time there juniors and seniors they might actually be good enough by themselves to carry the team to the tourney but at the end of the day, what is going to make them want to stay here and keep fighting by themselves.

Hurley was supposed to be a recruiting wiz, and we all believed it after the transfers and the signings of the freshman. but that elation has worn off and the buzz around the program has seemed to die off with it. the luster is gone. Every recruiting battle since the weekend of ec and hassan has come up as a loss. Watson and butler can be considered wins but at the end of the day, who were we really competing against?

Its scary to say but if we cant get any help for these two stars, whats to keep them from looking elsewhere.

Where would this boards mindset be if we woke up tmrw and hassy or ec announced they were leaving? we as rhode island residents have put alot of money into this picture that hurley painted. I mean where else do you go 7 and 24 in the first year and get resounding approval and a big raise. im afraid to admit it but im getting a little scared.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Maybe the "sleeping giant," comment that was tossed around on here and attributed to Bob Sr was in reference to Jim Baron's ability to maintain his job and make big money for a long time without a problem. I mean big money relative to high school coaches and the majority of citizens. Not other div 1 coaches or better.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SWC, excellent post.

I doubt EC and Hassan go anywhere, but like you said, you can't totally dismiss it either.

It's all going to depend on the talent Dan brings in around them.

They aren't just good, soon to be great players, but they seem to be good students and stay out of trouble types, unlike some others on this team.

Their odds of being NBA players will improve with the success of the team. I'm sure they are quite aware of that too.

EC will become nationally noticed, if URI becomes nationally noticed. Same for Hassan.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SWC, another thing about Munford. Up until recently he was considered our best player, by far.

And he was. So, he's going to be the guy that tries to do it all.

It's just that he's not very good at it. He certainly has tried his best.

The best of a bad bunch, until EC seems ready to take over.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

SWC, I'll like who I like, and I couldn't care less
what YOU think of my basketball knowledge.
Aw, you get sick. Really?
That "selfish" player had 6 assists tonight and has a season team high
of 8 assists in another game.
Hassan's birthday is in November, so half way through his senior season, would
mean he's playing football, not basketball.
Kenneth Faried under appreciated? He was a TWO TIME ALL AMERICAN and NCAA all time leading
rebounde, and first round NBA draft pick. Yeah, really under appreciated.
As for X, why don't you go up to him and tell him that pile of garbage you're spewing about him not being
able to handle pressure and he's a poor leader.
Ask EC who's been helping him learning the ropes.
You wouldn't know that, would you?
Yeah, go worry yourself over EC and Martin leaving, You're afraid? Dan isn't.
Oh, and the word is sacrilegious
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I am really frustrated, as is everyone on this board. The reality is we are only a couple of pieces away from being a legitimate team. Adding a top point guard and true center would make all the difference in this team. The question is will these pieces be able to be obtained with the way things are currently going. The fact that we haven't been able to land the recruits we need for next year is alarming. I know the effort has been there on the recruiting front but coming up short this late in season is unacceptable. At the end of the day it is on our staff to have answers for our problems going forward and so far they have failed. We still have time for them to pull off something unexpected. I keep hoping we will land the PG we need and a legitmate center. If we had Garritt committed for next year and a good center, I would be in a different state of mind. Trust me Gil is not going to be the aswer down low at the 4 or 5. He has many holes in his game. I have to admit I can't beleive that this team has not improved as the season has developed. I do agree with most that all the coaching in the world can't change a team that just doesn't have the talent, at least not at this level. I can't watch Buchanan bring the ball up the court anymore. I realize we have no options and that falls on Hurley. I have been a die hard loyal fan for the last 12 years. I truely can't take the frustation anymore. I am just completely disgusted at this point and feel cheated. I had to let my frustations out. I am praying that we catch a break and land the recruits we need. I also think an adjustment within assistant coaches might be in order in regards to help recruiting. I am certainly not talking about Preston.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Adam, my comment about TJ was not an excuse. No one ever thought TJ would be starting or playing PG, so fans should get off his back. DH is totally responsible for the men's basketball program. Therefore, he is responsible for TJ being there. He decided which recruits to sign and which scholarships to renew. Fans are not making excuses for DH. He is being paid to produce results and he knows it. No excuses.
NCAAs or Bust!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:There is every chance the guy who helped close EC and Martin is now in the MAC.
Well while we're completely making shit up, we should also say there is every chance that the guy who helped close EC and Martin is still our head coach.
Just in case you missed this quote in the EC article in the Projo today...

“We’re going to get better in the future,” Matthews said confidently. “Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Of course Gerbil Jim had to take his usual shots at us,
about the attendance yesterday and lack of students.
Where was his ugly self last Sunday?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Of course Gerbil Jim had to take his usual shots at us,
about the attendance yesterday and lack of students.
Where was his ugly self last Sunday?
Yeah I noticed that to, wish I could say it was surprising, but obviously it wasn't.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Adam,
That quote by EC brought back some good memories for me. Remember who said similiar words back in the 70's?
I'd like to hear that from more top recruits.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

adam914 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:There is every chance the guy who helped close EC and Martin is now in the MAC.
Well while we're completely making shit up, we should also say there is every chance that the guy who helped close EC and Martin is still our head coach.
Just in case you missed this quote in the EC article in the Projo today...

“We’re going to get better in the future,” Matthews said confidently. “Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program.
I think this quote should be personally mailed to every fan sof Uri
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

DH will win big here before he would have at Rutgers, no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Gil did better at Rutgers. Maybe DH too? Jk.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: I think this quote should be personally mailed to every fan sof Uri
Agreed. But instead everybody will ignore it and then in a couple days the same people will be back posting the same made up crap to just fulfill the false narrative they've created in their heads.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

adam914 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote: I think this quote should be personally mailed to every fan sof Uri
Agreed. But instead everybody will ignore it and then in a couple days the same people will be back posting the same made up crap to just fulfill the false narrative they've created in their heads.
What's the false narrative? And why is it less true than yours?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
What's the false narrative? And why is it less true than yours?
Go back and read the thread, its all there for you to see.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I find this board amusing - I am probably right down the middle on Hurley, I think he will succeed here but jaded enough to want him to prove it. People on both sides seem to agree on the a bunch of things, recruiting class for 2014 is a big ?, EC and Martin are really good Frosh, and the team probably should have played more zone the last few games. The only difference is the tone of the comments - you are either upbeat about the future or upset about the present.
Rhodyfan22
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyfan22 »

Guys,

I'm just as upset as everyone. As posted before, I'm from PA. So this board is where I get all my info. I can't go to DH's radio show. I can't make the trip to the Ryan Center. The only games I see in person are when they are in my area. I read everything on twitter. Everything posted on here. All of the articles posted about DH and URI bball I can fine. I loved what I saw from URI last year. Watching them on ESPN3 last year vs SH, Ohio St early in the year. I was truly amazed how hard this team was playing, with and the fire I saw from both Hurley's on the sideline. Hell the bench was as into as I have ever seen. Sure the losses were tough, a ton of close ones. But as most I didn't expect a ton of success last year. Hell we were beating LaSalle in front of what looked to be a half empty Ryan Center on TV at half behind Mike Aaman. We out played Temple in their house. A team talent wise that was far superior to us. I gotta tell you, that was the first time I saw a Hurley coached URI team in person. I was pumped. Seeing him on TV was one thing. I think last yr the games I were able to see on tv were Seton Hall, Ohio St (Espn3) and Butler, George Mason (CBSS) and LaSalle (My local Cable). I got the sense this guy was as intense as everyone said. But seeing him and Bobby live was a sight to see. I loved the passion I saw... Despite all those games being loses, I was truly amazed that URI was taking these teams to the wire. When BB and JH left school I was really unsure if URI would win 5 games. I went to every Temple game during the JB era. During the Will Daniels and JB yrs. Last years team played as well vs Temple as I had seen.

During the off season I saw all these posts, URI 20 wins. I was very excited coming into the yr. Prob as excited as I had been since the yr after we lost to Xavier in the A10 title game. I wasn't expecting a tourney bid. But I was hoping for a winning record. I was hoping to see Gil Bruita play next to a improved Jordan Hare. I was looking forward to seeing Xavier prove he was a all team A10 player. I was looking forward to DH putting URI back on the A10 map. Things seem to go south early. This team still makes the same mistakes they did a year ago. Munford is still missing foul shots, they still cant shoot, they still commit silly fouls and they still make crucial mistakes on defense. Something I didn't think they would commit under DH. I know we don't have a true pg, I know we have no true center. I know we have 0 depth. But this team has been in position to win games and I give the staff credit for that. But they just haven't played well enough in crunch time to close anything out. Two years in a row. And its a lot of the same mistakes from last year. Which I think for me at least is the most disappointing part.

I think DH is the man for the job, I just hope he isn't getting burned out. Hes never experienced defeat like this before. It takes a toll. I know last year Bobby had a tweet of the sort something like "my love for bball is at a all time low". Don't quote me on that because its not exactly right, but it was something of the sort. I believe it was after the St Joes L. So I'm not sure whats going on his head. I really hope this team can manage to win a game in brooklyn. I know this season is wash for most ppl. But I would like to see Munford finish strong. Hell it will just be nice to see them back in the A10 tournament.

Its nice to see they have two building blocks in EC and Martin. I just hope they can get some more pieces. I'm starting to wonder when we will see a team that had the talent that 2007-2008 team had. It pains me that team never got in the tourney. I still have the boardwalk hall ticket stub from the Charlotte loss. Ugh sickening.

Like everyone the recent losses to the dukes @home and @fordham were tough. Then Umass sunday. Yeah thats not a game I expected URI to win. But just like all the games I mentioned before, they were in position to win and they didn't.

I think the loss of Bobby def hurt us some. More then some might think. But I just hope this thing finishes strong. I'll continue to wear my URI bball gear proud. Because I believe DH will get this program on the map. But like some, I'm upset some mistakes keep happening over and over again...
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nice post, Rhodyfan22. Please do so more often!
You are a true Rhody fan.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Same here, 22.

I think our mistakes can be attributed to having a very thin roster, and some of the guys that are playing, aren't the answer in the short term.

As bad as things seem, imagine if we didn't have EC and Hassan.

It's going to take a couple more years to get to where we hoped to be now. I still trust that staff will bring in enough talent during that time, to compliment our 2 stud freshmen.

We have to rely on that. Otherwise, what else we got?
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Since the "Can anyone win here" thread is locked, I'll post my feelings here.

I believe that it is extremely tough in today's day and age to get top end recruits to come to any struggling program, no matter who the coach is and what the arena looks like. In the 24 hour sports news age with things like ESPNU, CBSCollegeSports coupled with things like twitter, it is, in my opinion, nearly impossible to get a 17-18 year old kid to commit to a program that is never talked about over the ones that the kid is seeing on TV and on the news all the time. The fact that URI was even able to get guys like Matthews and Martin is amazing in and of itself given how bad URI basketball has been over the last several years. However, I think it will only take one trip to the tournament for things to turn around in a big way. Answer this question: if you were a 17 or 18 year old kid from, say, Brooklyn to use as an example and you had 5 coaches recruiting you hard, would you choose the one (or, in this instance, one of the four) you're seeing on TV all the time and in the NCAA tournament or would you choose the one that has the nice arena, the name coach but is never in the news? And it's not like the schools that Hurley goes up against have no-names as coaches. He's going up against big time names for pretty much every kid that also play in nice arenas but are also being talked about on the ESPNU's of the world because their colleges are in the tournament or in the tournament discussion on a yearly basis.

It has been done at schools with far less tradition and things to offer (arena, national spotlight potential) than URI. Gonzaga. Butler. Creighton. VCU. The difference in those schools and URI is those schools built themselves up in conference smaller than the A-10. With the exception of Gonzaga, those other three programs are all now either in the A-10 or Big East. If it can be done at those 4 schools, it can be done at URI.

I think that fans need to be patient with Hurley and not expect miracles. He knows how to coach. Changing the perception of the school takes time, particularly when, as I mentioned before, the competition has a leg up on the school. It can be done, but it may not happen for another 2-3 years, when Matthews and Martin are seniors and showcasing the school on a more national stage than what the school has now.
Last edited by scine20 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rams13
Jim Eitner

Unread post by rams13 »

I think the team has underachieved over the last couple years regardless of circumstance. I think losing Holton, Hare,and Baron all hurt Hurley- but other teams also have injuries, suspensions, and transfers and you still have to find a way to be successful.

Next year is big for the staff. It will be the third year with Biruta, JR, Minnis; and the freshman are gaining alot of experience this year. Recruiting is going to be HUGE this spring. Biruta will be better next year but then he is gone. If they do not find pieces will help Martin + Matthews then you are looking at 3 straight down years. And as many have mentioned, bringing in quality players when Matthews and Martin are juniors and seniors may be too little too late.

Adding 1 or 2 quality guys for next year is essential to the success of this program under Hurley. Wishful thinking...If OKST continues to struggle and underachieve. Whispers of maybe their coach being fired. If that happens, Terrell may need a new landing spot although I am sure he will have other suitors.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Great fan base, where you have people wanting to jump ship after 2 years. Can you see why its so hard to build a consistent winner here? The fan base for the most part, sucks. Come late, leave early, sit on their hands, and pull their support if they we dont put Matt Butler in for more time so they can see what he can do. It's a joke reading some of the commentary here.

If you aren't excited about watching 2 potential NBA prospects grow up in front of your eyes then I cant help you. We haven't had that, maybe ever...Cat and Tyson did not look to have the ceiling that EC and Hassan have at this point in their careers. Now our staff needs to find more talent to surround them with, but I supported DH for the job and believe he will do just that. And I am not jumping ship because we lost to Duquesne or because we are under-performing in Year 2, or because I am not sure where the PG solution will come from. I believe being a fan is a "through thick and thin" relationship, for me anyways and obviously others too. The self-important "oh i am not buying my tickets next year" is such a load of crap, if you ebb and flow that easy no one at URI cares about your support anyhow. You cannot build a program around people like that. You are the customer they care the least about pleasing. I believe they have a word for that.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Extremely well put, BAR.

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:Great fan base, where you have people wanting to jump ship after 2 years. Can you see why its so hard to build a consistent winner here? The fan base for the most part, sucks. Come late, leave early, sit on their hands, and pull their support if they we dont put Matt Butler in for more time so they can see what he can do. It's a joke reading some of the commentary here.

If you aren't excited about watching 2 potential NBA prospects grow up in front of your eyes then I cant help you. We haven't had that, maybe ever...Cat and Tyson did not look to have the ceiling that EC and Hassan have at this point in their careers. Now our staff needs to find more talent to surround them with, but I supported DH for the job and believe he will do just that. And I am not jumping ship because we lost to Duquesne or because we are under-performing in Year 2, or because I am not sure where the PG solution will come from. I believe being a fan is a "through thick and thin" relationship, for me anyways and obviously others too. The self-important "oh i am not buying my tickets next year" is such a load of crap, if you ebb and flow that easy no one at URI cares about your support anyhow. You cannot build a program around people like that. You are the customer they care the least about pleasing. I believe they have a word for that.
Oh man I love everything about this post!