The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:Couple things - my opinion about UConn is that they’re going to be really good under Hurley. I’m good with leaving it there and not debating it, but because the other person saying he thinks UConn will be good is also saying he thinks URI is about to be Jerry D-level bad, I just want to clarify that I do not share that opinion. I’m very bullish on URI and Coach Cox right now - I think he’s the best hire we could have made and I actually don’t expect much of a drop off, if any, of the overall quality of the program (obviously there will be a drop off from last year to this year, but that has to do with personnel and would have been the case even if Hurley were the coach next year).

As far as Cameron Dollar, I’m 99% sure I know who he is offline, and I can vouch for the fact that he is, in fact, a URI fan - or at least he was. I can also vouch for the fact that he is a good dude. I knew him when I was a kid and I have to say I’m kind of shocked and disappointed at what he’s had to say here. It’s not that anyone has to be positive all the time - I’m not - but it’s that it’s so negative coupled with being so wrong. The issue I have with his “opinions” here is not that they are negative, it’s that they’re bad opinions - to the point where it definitely feels like they are bad and wrong on purpose, which is the definition of trolling. I haven’t spoken to c_d in years offline so I don’t know what is going on with him, but I know he’s not lying when he says he’s been a URI fan for a long time. Which just makes his persona here all the more perplexing.
TP writes: "The issue I have with his “opinions” here is not that they are negative, it’s that they’re bad opinions - to the point where it definitely feels like they are bad and wrong on purpose, which is the definition of trolling."

Huh?? So it's your opinion that Cameron Dollar's opinion is a bad opinion? Does that mean your opinion is good? Just how are opinions defined as good opinions or bad opinions? For example, John Elway is a better QB than Peyton Manning. The US should be more committed to a strategy of removing Assad from power in Syria. Are those good opinions or bad opinions? Curious, how do you measure the worthiness of opinions?

Facts can be wrong. Predictions can be wrong. Opinions are thoughts, hopefully based on some type of fact or observation.

You wrote an opinion is "bad or wrong on purpose." So when people come on here and say URI should play more zone...URI should have more away from the ball movement...URI should drop football...or whatever it is. Are those opinions "wrong?" And who gets to decide whose opinion is wrong? You, TP?

Tell you what, let everyone have their say and have their opinion whether you like it or not and regardless of what their motive or background is. It's healthy for you to do it. You can thank me later.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Facts can not be wrong. If something is a fact, then it is the truth. If it's wrong it can not be a fact by the mere definition of the term.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Facts can be wrong.
wut
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: Huh?? So it's your opinion that Cameron Dollar's opinion is a bad opinion? Does that mean your opinion is good? Just how are opinions defined as good opinions or bad opinions? For example, John Elway is a better QB than Peyton Manning. The US should be more committed to a strategy of removing Assad from power in Syria. Are those good opinions or bad opinions? Curious, how do you measure the worthiness of opinions?
What if I were to say that in my opinion Tim Tebow is a better quarterback than John Elway?

That opinion = BAD OPINION

Some of the shit thrown around here in the not too distant past is on that level of bad opinion or worse.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

All four of my ex-wives were never wrong.....that's a fact......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Guys, settle down. He clearly meant alternative facts.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to see the URI alum having some success
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Very happy for Tray getting this opportunity. There are a lot guys with St. Anthony connections on college coaching staffs.

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Since we are speaking of opinions, I'll share one of my favorite articles on that subject along with a great excerpt:

"If “Everyone’s entitled to their opinion” just means no-one has the right to stop people thinking and saying whatever they want, then the statement is true, but fairly trivial. No one can stop you saying that vaccines cause autism, no matter how many times that claim has been disproven.

But if ‘entitled to an opinion’ means ‘entitled to have your views treated as serious candidates for the truth’ then it’s pretty clearly false. And this too is a distinction that tends to get blurred."

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-no ... inion-9978
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steviep123 wrote:Facts can not be wrong. If something is a fact, then it is the truth. If it's wrong it can not be a fact by the mere definition of the term.
Typo...big typo by me. Sorry about that. A fact is a fact. A fact cannot be wrong. There are no alternative facts. That mistake missed my proofread before posting. Bad miss by me. Airball actually.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jamion Christian is leaving Mt St Mary's (NEC) to take the Siena job.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/artic ... 883066.php
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not overly impressed with Tripp. Btw, does Hurley perform a brain dumped so everyone working for him has the UCONN speak to throw in why their job at UCONN is so different than it was at URI. The banners, seeing Calhoun and the higher level recruits. This kid (he is 25 years old) with ONE year paid experience has been coordinating travel for the Ast Coaches in April and that is different than doing it last year at URI because the recruits are 4 stars??? Please,drink more of the Koolaid.
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I too found him to come off like an obnoxious fanboy in the article. Also would never trust anyone named Tripp. I wonder if he told EC or Jared that they weren’t “big time recruits”. Putz
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think they do consciously talk it up and I wouldn't be surprised if it was directed. Lots of programs in basketball/football have made it to the top only to fall down. Then they always have a new coach selling the old stuff.

There is just too much luck/circumstance for most programs to get back to where they were.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Just came across this today. Pretty epic rant.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So awesome.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote:

I love this lady.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Not overly impressed with Tripp. Btw, does Hurley perform a brain dumped so everyone working for him has the UCONN speak to throw in why their job at UCONN is so different than it was at URI. The banners, seeing Calhoun and the higher level recruits. This kid (he is 25 years old) with ONE year paid experience has been coordinating travel for the Ast Coaches in April and that is different than doing it last year at URI because the recruits are 4 stars??? Please,drink more of the Koolaid.
I hate this kid. Maybe the most punchable kid alive. Never liked him, even when he was here, because his name is Tripp. Douchebag.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not Mike Powell wrote:

She is a HERO!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not Mike Powell wrote:

I must know her.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a great rant epic !!!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Not Mike Powell wrote:

FKNA!!

:lol:
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

https://theathletic.com/329472/2018/04/ ... e-boynton/

Good article from The Athletic, an interview with Mike Boynton about his first year as a head coach at Oklahoma State. Interesting and relevant perspective on going from being a long-time assistant to the head guy. His two biggest surprises- how many decisions have to be made on a daily basis that are on him and exactly how much is on a head coach’s plate.

Also, it really is crazy how small the world of college basketball coaching is, thinking back to Rutgers. Cox and Jimmy Martelli were the ones involved when Murdock was secretly recorded going off, talking about Rice after he (Murdock) was fired and before he released his tapes. What a dysfunctional work environment. Now, they’re both back in the A10.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Johnson was also at Towson and Indiana.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

ace wrote:

Johnson was also at Towson and Indiana.
Wow it looks like Lasalle is selling their soul out here to help their basketball team. He was fired from Louisville along with Pitino when the FBI investigation came out as it looks like he was knee deep in it.

Kind of surprised that the higher ups at Lasalle signed off on this, I know many other schools would not.

If nothing further comes from the FBI investigation, he is known as a big time recruiter with, I think, strong ties to the Washington, DC area. He was making $550,000 in April of 2016 as Louisville's assistant coach, who they poached from Indiana.

This is quite shocking on so many fronts. Clearly he is making a lot less at Lasalle, but I do not think he had many other choices. But if nothing comes of that FBI investigation, and he stays clean, this could be a big time hire for Lasalle. With him in DC, and Howard in Philly, could be a terrific duo.

From a selfish standpoint, I wonder how it impacts our DC recruiting.

Kind of hoping the FBI hurries up with their investigation so the NCAA can drop the hammer on him.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Sounds like all is good...

Selfishly, I hope La Salle can be effective. I enjoy going to their games a lot more than St Joe’s.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wonder why he would take such a huge pay cut if he's clean? Maybe LaSalle was his only option for a job?

LaSalle must have found enough money to keep their program afloat.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

ace wrote:Sounds like all is good...

Selfishly, I hope La Salle can be effective. I enjoy going to their games a lot more than St Joe’s.
Please, what else do you think they are going to say? I certainly would not conclude "all is good" because a school with no money did a thorough investigation of someone's back ground. Did the FBI talk to them? Of course not so I am not buying in anyway that the FBI told anybody that he is not the subject of the investigation. By all accounts, he is coach 1 in the FBI transcripts.

I am sure it is some third party source saying he is not the subject of the FBI investigation to Lasalle, not the FBI itself. And we all we can parse the English language as we see fit. He may not be the subject of the investigation, meaning there are bigger fish to fry. Does not mean he was not caught on tape offering to facilitate the payment to a player to go to Louisville. Does not mean he is not dirty as hell.

Maybe Lasalle is right and nothing will come of this. But of course they are going to come out and back up the person they just hired. We shall see what the future holds. My bet is on Johnson being banned from NCAA basketball for 2 years within the next 18 to 24 months when the FBI report comes out.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Was he the one responsible for rounding up the hookers?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's good anything that gets LaSalle back to respectability help the league RPI
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Was he the one responsible for rounding up the hookers?
Andre McGee

I don’t really care that much about Johnson or about speculating on what he may or may not have done. I would just like La Salle to be good.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Bryant hires Rock Creek Christian Coach Chris Cole as an assistant. Coach Cole has deep ties with Coach Cox- Coach Cox recruited Jermaine Harris and they had previously worked with the same AAU organization. Bryant will be interesting to keep an eye on!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’d run away from that school as fast as possible...

spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Look who I found...

If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote:Bryant hires Rock Creek Christian Coach Chris Cole as an assistant. Coach Cole has deep ties with Coach Cox- Coach Cox recruited Jermaine Harris and they had previously worked with the same AAU organization. Bryant will be interesting to keep an eye on!
And Cole wasted no time. Bryant offered Earl Timberlake, one of the top young players in the DC area. Will we now be competing with Bryant for recruits?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cole could be a candidate here for an assistant's job at some point, if he does well there.

I doubt we'll have to worry too much about Bryant, if we really want a recruit.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow interesting hire of Cole by Bryant

Nice that Jermaine will have him close by
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Bos8 wrote:Bryant hires Rock Creek Christian Coach Chris Cole as an assistant. Coach Cole has deep ties with Coach Cox- Coach Cox recruited Jermaine Harris and they had previously worked with the same AAU organization. Bryant will be interesting to keep an eye on!
And Cole wasted no time. Bryant offered Earl Timberlake, one of the top young players in the DC area. Will we now be competing with Bryant for recruits?
If Bryant is any real competition for recruits then that means Cox was a bad hire and things have gone very wrong
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

That will be interesting to follow......PC and URI offered Timberlake, along with a number of P5 teams. It looks like he is a 2020 grad. A lot could happen yet, but it sounds like his current h.s. coach thinks he needs more academic and athletic development.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Kevin Freeman leaves UCONN. Hurley hires stentgh & conditioning coach known for tripping NFL player running down the sidelines.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting articles there , DH going to take advantage of the new workout rules 4 hours of court time and 4 hours of weight lifting hopefully Cox does as well
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhody83 wrote:Kevin Freeman leaves UCONN. Hurley hires stentgh & conditioning coach known for tripping NFL player running down the sidelines.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html
Coach surrounding himself with really chill guys to continue that softer sideline demeanor from last year? ;)
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 664846002/

Interesting article about basketball at the university of Michigan and what they pay the assistant coaches.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be a good hire for the Pistons.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

KevanBoyles wrote:https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 664846002/

Interesting article about basketball at the university of Michigan and what they pay the assistant coaches.

From the link regarding staff pay:

At the moment, Beilein's coaching staff (Luke Yaklich, Saddi Washington and DeAndre Haynes) make a combined $675,000. Ohio State has more than $1 million set aside for its assistant coaching pool. Both Indiana and MSU pay more than $800,000.

In comparison, URI pays $425,000. UConn pays $815,000.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Guess that's the difference between the big 10 and Atlantic 10
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We'll see what the total assistant coach budget is on July 1st. My guess is, it's a little more than 425K.

Of course there are some creative ways to increase their pay without it being made public.