The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by TruePoint »

This could be in the transfer carousel thread, but putting here because I think the reporting on what goes on with recruiting behind the scenes after a coaching change is interesting and, unfortunately, relevant for us.

https://theathletic.com/296481/2018/04/ ... or-purdue/
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Wonder what this means for PMurph. Was hoping he would get bumped up a chair, but maybe not now.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:

Wonder what this means for PMurph. Was hoping he would get bumped up a chair, but maybe not now.
cracks open the door for a Kingston return.

tin foil theory...it's pre-emptive because Creighton knows Cox is gonna be HC here and hire Preston back to be assoc HC...haha
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

TruePoint wrote:
Interesting -- going from one MAAC school to another. OTOH, Poughkeepsie is a step up from Jersey City.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ask yourself why he isn't getting moved up
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

2 reasons....either he's isn't AHC material for Creighton...or he's on his way here.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rambone 78 wrote:2 reasons....either he's isn't AHC material for Creighton...or he's on his way here.
Or on his way to another HC job
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:2 reasons....either he's isn't AHC material for Creighton...or he's on his way here.
Or on his way to another HC job
Detroit is open I think. That’d make a lot of sense for Preston as an entry level head coaching gig on his home turf.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The plot thickens

Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We'll know about that one and ours tomorrow.

Guess you can't believe everything you hear....guess Dooley did interview and is waiting for a decision just like we are.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If URI decided they did want Cox, is it a slam-dunk they'd agree on terms right away? years/$$? There's been a wide range of speculation here on this forum about what he should get...what if URI is offering the low end of that and he wants the high end? Is it automatic that they agree?

Any chance at all that's related to the JDooley Euro-step with ECU?
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:If URI decided they did want Cox, is it a slam-dunk they'd agree on terms right away? years/$$? There's been a wide range of speculation here on this forum about what he should get...what if URI is offering the low end of that and he wants the high end? Is it automatic that they agree?

No, zero chance Cox would do this.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They might be working on that as we speak....or they might not.

That is an interesting take on the subject, one that hasn't been discussed here....could there be a hold up on terms of the contract?

I doubt it...but it's possible.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This was last updated before Rothstein's tweet.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dooley coached at ECU from 1991-1999 and was the head coach of the Pirates starting in 1995. His .523 winning percentage is the highest in ECU's Division 1 history.

That doesn't seem like a record worth touting.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:If URI decided they did want Cox, is it a slam-dunk they'd agree on terms right away? years/$$? There's been a wide range of speculation here on this forum about what he should get...what if URI is offering the low end of that and he wants the high end? Is it automatic that they agree?

Not only that, but (1) the agents know the market and so does Thorr - posters here don’t; there’s not going to be a huge range for disagreement, and (2) I’m sure salary demands and expectations have been known on both sides for a while, at the very least during this process if not before.

I think the Dooley thing has nothing to do with URI. That’s between him and ECU.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think it would be similar to DH's first contract.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:

Not only that, but (1) the agents know the market and so does Thorr - posters here don’t; there’s not going to be a huge range for disagreement, and (2) I’m sure salary demands and expectations have been known on both sides for a while, at the very least during this process if not before.

I think the Dooley thing has nothing to do with URI. That’s between him and ECU.
Yeah, to add to number 2, I don't think these things are treated like a normal job process. ADs talk to agents and I think both sides have an idea of general contract terms before even agreeing to an interview.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think that leaves one more assistant to be hired.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

legit question: is there an NCAA limit as to how many assistant coaches you can have?

Well all know money is no issue at UConn
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

theblueram wrote:Dooley coached at ECU from 1991-1999 and was the head coach of the Pirates starting in 1995. His .523 winning percentage is the highest in ECU's Division 1 history.

:?:

Hurley’s was .579 at URI... what should be considered is whether that win percentage rose over the years...
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

jcru wrote:legit question: is there an NCAA limit as to how many assistant coaches you can have?

Well all know money is no issue at UConn
3, but you can have a large staff made up of creative titles (special assistant to the coach, director of player development etc). But in order to be on the court coaching as well as on the road recruiting you must be a coach.

For now, there's still a spot for Cox, Boswell, and TJ if Thorr goes on another direction. If he hires another coach, that changes.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RamIt! wrote:
theblueram wrote:Dooley coached at ECU from 1991-1999 and was the head coach of the Pirates starting in 1995. His .523 winning percentage is the highest in ECU's Division 1 history.

Hurley’s was .579 at URI... what should be considered is whether that win percentage rose over the years...
Dooley was the assistant coach for 4 years prior to taking over. I'm just guessing he was recruiting during those years. DH came into a bare cupboard which the first year disaster skewed his numbers. I mean ECU basketball just sent a Tweet about winning the CIT 5 years ago.
Last edited by theblueram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Thanks for the explanation, Dre
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RamIt! wrote:

OK, I looked it up. Dooley during his 4 years at ECU went 17-11, 17-10, 10-17, and 13-14. There.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The thought that almost our entire staff and roster including recruits could go to UConn is sickening.

I just don't think Thorr will let that happen.

Dooley's resume has a lot more experience...so what....it's not that impressive imo. He's done OK at FGCU though. He would have more to work with in terms of resources here at least.

He's also 52....not exactly a young rising star.....Cox could be that guy.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote:The thought that almost our entire staff and roster including recruits could go to UConn is sickening.

Dooley's resume has a lot more experience...so what....it's not that impressive imo. He's done OK at FGCU though. He would have more to work with in terms of resources here at least.

I think Dooley is going to ECU. That news broke today for a reason, no real back tracking.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Oats was the only real other candidate of the "rising" variety that I could wrap head around. Risk/reward on all others tilts in Cox's favor, to varying degrees.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well Rothstein said nothing was finalized....but that could just be the devil in the details.

Yeah BAR, not quite sure why he wasn't on the list.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

bigappleram wrote:Oats was the only real other candidate of the "rising" variety that I could wrap head around. Risk/reward on all others tilts in Cox's favor, to varying degrees.
I agree. I thought and said it was going to be Cox, as soon as I heard Hurls was gone. Oats was interesting, but I always liked Cox better.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Oats is a year away, has a great team coming back. He’ll cash in huge next year.

Might have said no thanks to interviewing here.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:The thought that almost our entire staff and roster including recruits could go to UConn is sickening.

I think Dooley is going to ECU. That news broke today for a reason, no real back tracking.
Now that is Baron 2.0. Wonder what the fans think?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

The AAC. Catch the fever.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Oats is a year away, has a great team coming back. He’ll cash in huge next year.

Might have said no thanks to interviewing here.
Maybe. I wonder if he'd also rather not follow Hurley's around his whole career. Not that I think that would be the ultimate deciding factor, but it is interesting.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Good point.

Not to mention, he's probably hoping to parlay next season into a lot more interest in his services
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He's probably looking for a P5 job. He'll get one if they do next season what they did this season.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Very interesting column on Temple and Fran Dunphy.
http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC/20 ... /180409938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would appear Dooley was waiting to see how the URI hiring played out. Probably not a coincidence that the ECU deal was finalized on the same morning he was told he was not the choice at Rhode Island.

Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Interesting article on the Fran Dunphy/Aaron Mckie story:

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC/20 ... /180409938
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This isn’t exactly breaking news but still relevant...

Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Adams not coming here
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Not quite coaching carousel related, but...

Siena's Jimmy Patsos under investigation - Allegations of verbal abuse by men's basketball coach draw scrutiny

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 806097.php
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Not quite coaching carousel related, but...

Siena's Jimmy Patsos under investigation - Allegations of verbal abuse by men's basketball coach draw scrutiny

Patsos has not been successful at Siena. I therefore can't help but feel that this may be an effort on the part of the school to get rid of him without paying his full buyout. Doesn't mean it may not be true but more often than not many schools keep these things quiet. With buyouts so large these days, it is however now getting very ugly with departures. Both Pitt and UConn got rid of their coaches with accusations/charges of just cause. They are playing hardball to reduce the buyouts. The courts may ultimately rule on the matter.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:Not quite coaching carousel related, but...

Patsos has not been successful at Siena. I therefore can't help but feel that this may be an effort on the part of the school to get rid of him without paying his full buyout. Doesn't mean it may not be true but more often than not many schools keep these things quiet. With buyouts so large these days, it is however now getting very ugly with departures. Both Pitt and UConn got rid of their coaches with accusations/charges of just cause. They are playing hardball to reduce the buyouts. The courts may ultimately rule on the matter.
Yep, they're trying to do him like UConn did Ollie.